Gary Fisher 1999 Joshua F1 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Gary Fisher Joshua F1, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, Rock Shox Sid SL, 2.5" travel fork

Correction   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 05, 1999]

The F1 does not ride like the F3 at all. I have a F2 and it does not ride like the F3 at all. Nor would I expect the F1 to ride like the F2. Do not believe the comment below is MY bottom line. If you don't believe me go to the store and ride them both. And please don't post if you haven't ridden the bike EVER!!

Matt   Downhiller [Jan 13, 2001]
Strength:

You can do a really good wheelie with it. Thats about all.

Frame sucks. No real good components.

I'm only 14 years old and I cracked the frame in half right behind the head tube weld. If you think you'll ever be doing any drops at all, don't get this bike. The lack of metal on the frame makes it prone to easy dents and cracks or in my case breaking in two. Also, Gary Fisher isn't the best at warranties. It took fisher 2 months to get me just a frame.

Similar Products Used: DS-1, lots of other bikes that I've test rode because I work in a bike shop.
gun   Downhiller [Mar 22, 2000]
Strength:

light weight
plush rear
Great finish
warranty

none so far

I got the frame as a replacement because i snapped my old one (Joshua Z2). At the moment it has five and a bit inches travel on the rear. this is one of the lightest frames that i have ridden. Since i got the frame for free, what value. This is a fantastic bike.

Similar Products Used: wheeler 5000zx
zippy   Racer [Dec 27, 1999]
Strength:

warranty,geometry and low stand over clearance.

could be lighter(frame),color.

the bike is fine .for all you people posting about how bad the bike is,remember that its mostly the rider!i know one guy that has a 98 zo with a fully unlocked rear shock(bouncy) that can out run the top 20 experts in the tech trails.so far all i can say about my bike is that fisher replaced my 97 xo frame with the 99 f1 frame and shock.warranty.if the frame was a pound lighter and had a bit more peddle to ground clearance and i could put a stratos pro rear shock on the back without the oil leaking out of it in a 2 month period,then i would have one hell of a ride.

Similar Products Used: fsr,santa cruz,jamis dakar,dekerf,canondale.
Wil   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 23, 1999]
Strength:

Frame Simplicity

Pivot point

Bike works as expected, nothing too unusual. Problem:... The single pivot point is great as it is the only place on the FS frame that will need attention when it starts to wear. However, this was poorly designed. The bushings wear as expected in about 6 months...no problem with that. The pivot point is however, weak. The bolt/washer combination used to connect the URT to the main frame is crap. The bolt (even with teflon tape and loctite) can come loose while riding and cause the washer to eat into the soft aluminum URT. Tightening becomes necessary, and you ride some more. The bushings wear and more tightening becomes necessary. Soon you have started a cut into the URT which causes lots of headaches. Your rear tire begins to swim along with you like a fish as you pedal. More tightening.... All this started happening within 2 months of riding. I only weigh 170 lbs, and am not that hard on the thing. I would not recommend this bike to anyone who likes to ride with lots of bumps in the trail, you may hurt bike if you do this too much. The first 2 months were GREAT!!! Replace the bushings every month or so for best results.

Similar Products Used: many
bigjay   Cross-Country Rider [Jun 06, 1999]
Strength:

light, great full suspension climber, geometry is perfect

availability, price

I've been riding a Specialized FSR Comp for some time, and like it. I recently traded bikes with a friend who owns an F1. Spent an entire day at Tsali on the F1 and must say that I'm very impressed!. The F1 is light, responsive, it sprints well, and climbs much better than my Specialized. The URT grumbles are simply not all true. The 'on the fly' dampening adjustment works well located on the bars, and I like that the shock still works even with the dampening cranked up, and that there is a range of remote dampening. It isn't just on/off.Gary Fisher's geometry (longer front center / short rear end) work incredibly well. It took me about 10 minutes to adjust to it, and then the advantages really shined. The bike tracks well, and handles better in technical terrain, where you must be able to shift your weight up or back to clean tough sections.Look for my slightly used FSR in the marketplace. I plan to make the switch.

willy   Cross-Country Rider [May 04, 1999]
Strength:

this bike is the biggest pos i have ever used, and I have rode them all.

fisher is not good

John   weekend warrior [Jan 04, 1999]

This entry is more of a comment than a review, however I did ride a Joshua X0 in Maui for 2 weeks and became very familiar with the Joshua's riding characteristics. The X0 is last year's F3 which is comprised of heavier, lesser quality components than the F1, none-the-less the ride must be very similar.Firstly, without launching into a URT versus linkage/sweetspot/etc. diatribe, this is an excellent bike for ALL ROUND riding and I have shortlisted it for purchase in '99 along with the Rocky Mountain Element TO or Instinct, Kona King Kikapu, Marin Mount Vision Pro,Specialized FSR XC S-Works, and Cannondale Raven 1000 or 900.As positive as I am on the Joshua, I would NOT consider this bike if I was planning to race. It is heavy and slow, perhaps the slowness is due to the inefficiency of the URT design and the Fisher URT design -- the Trek carbon fibre Y series bikes (last year's Y-33 or this YSL 300/200) is much more suited to racing as it is much lighter and more effective URT. Further to the point, the January '99 issue of Mountain Bike magazine (pg 36) makes a preference to the Trek YSL over the Specialed FSR XC for racing purposes. Even sister company Klein's Mantra is a faster bike & more suited to tight single track than the Fisher Joshua; just be careful going downhill with it - the Joshua is much more forgiving and controllable.The Joshua F3 must have a curb weight of at least 25 (or more likely 26 pounds) -- judging from the X0's 28.5 lbs, 23.5 for the F3 just seems highly improbable ... especially if it was a Fisher/Trek/Klein rep that stated this. From the bikes that I have TESTED, the Rocky Mountain Element Race (the T.O. is 3lbs lighter), the Trek Y-33 (although at 5'6, the medium did not provide me with any clearance & the small's cockpit was too cramped), the Specialized FSR XC Pro, and the Cannondale Raven are better RACING candidates.

Finally, to fellow Canadian & Torontonian Tristan, as at the time of this posting there aren't any '99 Joshuas in Toronto -- I am confident that our local bike shops (Silent Sports, Trail blazers, Sporting Life, etc.) would apply your deposit to a different bike that would be more suited to racing - please accept my criticism as constructive.

Tristan   racer [Nov 22, 1998]

I just ordered an F1 a few weeks ago and it should be arriving any day now. I plan to race on this bike next year. The point of my submission is to clear up the mistake in weight that is listed on this page for this bike. The 99' Gary Fisher Joshua F1 weighs 23.5 pounds.....not 27 pounds. I would not purchase a bike for that price if it was not under 24 pounds. That would be insane!

Tripp   Downhiller [Jun 20, 2001]
Strength:

Frame geometry, rear dampening system, king wheelset, color(baby blue)

Reading these other reviews makes me wonder if their really riding the same bike. We are talking about the F1, right?!? I've beat this bike on tech trails, singletrack and downhill, from CA to NC with NO PROBLEMS! This must be the best full suspension climber ever; dampens on the fly. After two years, my only add on has been a hydrolic rear disc.