Ellsworth Truth Full Suspension Bike

Ellsworth Truth Full Suspension Bike

Cross-country, full suspension, 4" rear wheel travel, Easton aluminum tubing, shot-peened and anodized finish.

[Dec 24, 2006]
Justin Nordmeyer

Strength:

Ive spent so much time on a mono-link suspension that that the four bar seems like a wonderful dream that I have yet to wake from. With the frame design coupled with a stable platform shock, its hard to tell that Im not on a hard-tail... untill I hit a rock garden, that is.

The frame is so light that I dont know if I can trust it yet.

This frame does somthing special for me. I used to surround my old frames with top end stuff to squeese every bit of performance out of them. This frame does the opposite of that.
From what Ive read, I got a FANTASTIC deal on this frame. Im gonna ride it like the two grand machine it is though.
Im pleased.

Haro, Mongoose

[Nov 26, 2001]
Anthony S.

Strength:

smooth feel, great craftmanship.

no hydro hose mounts, poorly fitting rear disc adapter, routing of rear der cable.

bad a** ride, but for the price I want the whole package. I would have liked to see hydro hose mounts. Also I had to grind down the rear disc brake adapter at the seat stay to fit.

gt i-drive

[Feb 25, 2002]
Carbon

Strength:

Very Light, strong, plush, great looking frame.

I use to ride a Voodoo Hardtail and loved it, but I was getting tired of always having a sore ass. It was time for a new bike and had only heard of this frame. I read the reviews and found a used frame to buy.

It has lived up to everything everyone said about this frame. I constantly feel like it has a motor on the back when I'm climbing. My confidence level has sky rocketed. Perfect fit for me. It handles anything and everything nicely. Back wheel digs in with no slips on climbs. No wheelies, graceful down hill, - my love for the sport has really grown since I got this frame. I'm always wanting to ride now, whereas before it was only one of the other sports I enjoyed.

Everyone complains about the stickers falling off. I wish mine would b/c then it would keep other riders from oggling my frame and make me stop worrying so much that someone is going to steal it. I don't care what the label says or how my frame looks, just that it's a blast to ride.

First Full-suspension bike. Test rode several others.

[Dec 04, 2001]
Jeff

Strength:

great craftsmanship, good climber w/little bob, great descender, lifetime warranty

none so far

You can't beat the Truth for lightweight and still 4" travel....doesn't climb as nice as the Sugar 1, but it's definately faster on the descents and alot more fun to ride.....it's an incredibly smooth bike to ride. If you are looking for the ultimate XC bike and can afford it, look no further.

Fisher Sugar 1, X-Caliber

[Oct 28, 2001]
Albert Lew

Strength:

straight as an arrow, confidence inspiring, plush, reliable

dents easily

This is a followup to my last review.

The Truth is a very confidence inspiring ride. The rear suspension has the three Ps:
o Plush
o Progressive
o Predictable

and it is missing another P:
o Pogo

I was inspired to write this review after doing a 3+ hour ride through Harold Parker State Forest today with dozens of other riders. Simply put, it doesn't look like anyone riding any similar bike out there has nearly the confidence you get with the Truth. Stair step rocks, roots, steep rock garden descents, drops: this is a great bike that allows to point and shoot. Heck, when there are leaves on the ground like there were today, you *can't see* what you're riding over. And riding the Truth over that terrain just feels totally natural and comfortable.

From another perspective this is a bike that puts the smile back into riding. For the hardtail convert, it will bring a whole new dimension of what is possible. For those with lesser full suspension bikes, be prepared for a quieter, stiffer, more predictable, lighter and less nervous ride.

I forgot to mention that throughout the New England spring and summer (both muddy), no maintenance was required. I can't tell you how many squeaky iDrives and others I encountered on the trails during that time.

The downside? Watch out for hard object impacts! I received dents on the top tube from someone working in my basement (they moved the bike and leaned it hard against a metal pole) and from bashing the downtube on a rock at low speed.
Caveat to that is that I've heard lots of rocks banging off the bike at high speed and seen no damage to the rear "triangle" or downtube.

You get what you pay for - this is 2 grand well spent.

[Jan 31, 2002]
ROD

Strength:

KILLER DESIGN, LOVE THE OLD ENGLISH WRITING, VERY PLUSH, LIGHT.

PRICE--HAD 2 TAKE A PARTIAL WITHDRAWL FROM MY INSURANCE POLICY 2 BUY THIS SUCKER!! DONT LIKE THERE CREST ON THE FRONT

TURNED MY GOLF BALLS INTO BASEBALLS AFTER 1 RIDE. IT MAKES THE TRAILS SEEM LIKE BUTTER. IF YOU SEE SOMETHING AHEAD THAT LOOKS SKETCHY JUST GO FOR IT, THIS BIKE WILL SOAK IT UP! i HAVE HAD THIS BIKE 4 A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME, SO FAR IT SEEMS BULLETPROOF. ONLY TIME WILL TELL. SAVE YOUR PENNIES BROTHER AND GO BUY AN ELLSWORTH!

HAD A FISHER HARD TAIL, THIS WAS ANYTHING BUT SIMILAR

[Jan 14, 2002]
hoser

Strength:

light weight, good suspension travel, quick nimble handling, no real bobbing to speak of. excellent downhiller, killer climber, excels in difficult situations whether it's slick rock in Sedona or shale an' steps in Pasadena, the Truth does it all well. i did a 24 hour race in Idyllwild last year, i used my Trek STP an my Truth. i rode thru Ellsworth 20 hours straight, aboot 115 miles. it flew flawlessly down the wore out trail hour after hour saving me from certain pain an' agony that was awaiting in every corner, ditch an downhill of an endurance race. sad to say, after hour 21 the front Dolomite snapped a spoke sidelining it. if that spoke hadn't broke i woulda rode it the whole race. i've drug/carried it to immeasurable trails in search of fun, downhilled into mysterious places in Mexico with never thinking about the reliability of the bike.

i have Truth SE #33, they don't make SE's any more. the sticker's came off in aboot 6 months, but that gave me an excuse to do some customizing with some local shop stickers. hum, that's the only weakness i can come up with.

the bottom line for me is a bike that i can take anywhere to have fun on. isn't that what were doing this for? Fun. Yeah, sometimes we race, but the whole thing is aboot fun. whether your flying down fire roads of picking your way through a rock strewn single track, this is the bike of choice for me. it's had a few teething problem but what bike hasn't. a few of the people have some harsh words for Tony an his crew, but i don't. they're good people an' they've been square with me when ever i speak with 'em, on the phone or at an event.

Trek VRX 500, Sugar 1, too many Trek Y's to count

[Jul 13, 2002]
Pissed

Strength:

Looks great, rides like a hard tail under power, solid as hell on roots, rocks, and anything else you can think off.

Fram broke above front D. This is not a down hill bike. I never did any big drops. 1footers at the most. Hard to get set up on shifting perfect for more than 4 rides. New stuff. Also broken lower rear end.

All I can say, Is the best bike I have ever ridden. But all that doses not count if I have to send it off evey year for replacement. I ride 3 to 4 times a week 6 to 10 miles a ride. Teck single track (no big jumps). I spent big money so I would not have this problem. Never broken frame before this one. Have been riding for 7 years. I weigh 210. All I can say to ellsworth build an extra few pounds into the fram to make it last. 2 weeks out on new frame, not bad. Not much value if you have to send it back,2 chilis. Proformance Untouchable,5 chilis

856 proflex,animal proflex, (rode both for 4 years no breaky), back-up bike a rocket 88

[Oct 27, 2001]
John

Strength:

You gotta be kidding. My bike rocks at 24lbs for a full suspension. I'll probably lighten it even more with a few upgrades.

Building a Truth cost me my part of my down payment for my BMW M3...than again, I shouldn't have blown 13G during my last trip to Vegas. Oh, well. (Note, when you're up 7000 in 20min., by a copy of MBA and drool over your next bike). Hope it doeasn't dent as easily as some others claim.

IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, GET ONE. AND THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE!

Nothing even close... was gonna go with a Tracer, but everyone that I've met that owned a Tracer (OK 2 people), said they think the Tracer is a bit heavy. 0.7 lbs extra heavy???

[Jan 05, 2002]
kenny prather

Strength:

reliability, comfort,looks,the fact that not every other rider on the trail is on one.

none so far.

I thought I would do a one year update to let everyone know how it is holdin' up. The Ellsworth is well worth the high price tag. I went to Costa Rica for the La Ruta da los Conquistadores race. 300 miles across the country in three days 104 degrees day one, 45 degrees day two, 24,00 feet of vertical climbing, blah blah blah, it was feally stinkin' hard.I did not have to do one bit of maintinence (other than new brake pads) to my bike. The Truth was excellent. It is light (for all the climbing), 4 inches of travel on the downhills was soooooooooo nice, and the 12 miles of railroad tracks on day three was worth the $3,500 alone, I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with this bike. I did meet two other riders on Truths, and they felt the same way I did....HAPPY!!!! I would recomend this frame highly,the riders who are unhappy with their Truths dont know what thier talkin'about.You can't be huckin' it off 8 foot drops and expect it to stay together,its for cross country riding and it doesnt get any better than this!!!!!!! RIDE ON

4 banger,tried several other before the purchase