Diamondback 1999 DBR-X2 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Diamondback DBR-X2, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano Deore LX/XT components, Marzocchi Bomber Z-3 LT, 4.0" travel fork

vwzkc   Cross Country Rider [May 31, 2010]
Strength:

this is for the frame only, good and strong. pivots dont squeak after being greased. rear shock is simple and easy to adjust and it has travel options

not being able to lower the seat. a little too much tubing on the frame, seems cluttered.

great bike considering it was free. stripped paint and polished the frame and it looks awesome. good bike for trail riding.

Similar Products Used: k2 sidewinder
noahwass   Downhiller [Jun 16, 2009]
Strength:

Great frame, great components, strong cross country bike and good enough for some medium drops.

Rear shock is a little springy if you're jumping anything. The lack of a full down tube for your seat leaves you wishing that you could lower the seat for more clearance while you're downhilling.

I just retired this bike after 10 great years of riding. It's an amazing bike. I've ridden it 26 miles in part of a triathlon and have used it as a downhill bike taking it off 4' drops. I even purchased a set of road rims and stuck some 1.9" slicks on it and used it as a commuter! I rarely bottomed the front fork out and the frame has been flawless for me. I still have the original components and everything works like a champ.

Similar Products Used: nothing...
mtbordie7787   Downhiller [May 18, 2009]
Strength:

Great sturdy frame, some what light for a older bike.

Bolts are not stainless.

this bike is hella dope no mattter how you set it up, strong all around bike, nice frame set. I would recomend this bike for Cross country or downhill depends on your taste and seet up.

Similar Products Used: None
Chipbox   Weekend Warrior [Aug 09, 2007]
Strength:

VERY strong frame, good reliable components. This was my first full suspension bike. I bombed this down every trail I possibly could. Components have worn over time but the frame seems to be indestructable. Marzocchi Z3 Long Travel has served very well over the years too.

Bushings for the shock have worn out and I'm having trouble finding new ones. It's 8 yrs old...Things happen.

This bike is a keeper...even though the components are finally starting to show some wear I'm keeping it and bringing it up to date with disc wheelset/Manitou Stance Flow fork/Hayes MX1s etc. My son was just a toddler when I first started riding this bike and now as a young teenager he is riding it and putting it to the test again. I have been impressed over and over with this bike and would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a bomb-proof bike that will go up and down just about any trail.

Similar Products Used: Currently Ride Giant AC1, have ridden many diferent Full Susp. bikes, many miles.
Scott   [Nov 14, 2003]
Strength:

Great value, bombproof frame & bearings, easily upgradable, beautiful black & silver frame.

A bit heavy, a lot of pedal induced bobbing by today's standards.

Over 3 years of hard XC, freeride, & DH pounding without one single problem from the frame, bearings, or Fox Vanilla shock! I have broken 2 other aluminum frames and 2 carbon frames, and all four of those other bikes combined did not last this long. This bike even survived crashes I didn't (broken ribs, broken hand, 3 concussions). The OE part spec. was uninspiring, but for an $800 clearance full-suspension bike it was a hell of a deal. This bike is on the heavy end of XC, but it is perfect for moderate freeriding (drops under 8'). Five Texas Flamin' Chilis for never letting me down!

Similar Products Used: Scott Comp. Racing, Scott Elite Racing, Scott Endorphin, Haro Escape A4, Iron Horse MT400, K2 Team Zed
SlyOne   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 2006]
Strength:

Super tough frame

I've been riding this frame for the last 5 years and swapped out the parts when things wear out. The frame has been killer!

I just purchased a Fox Vanilla RC and I have not installed it yet. I've replaced the suspension bushings but not the original Fox Vanilla. Will this work? I noticed the picture for the 1999 DBR-X10 has the RC but I'm concerned about the different linkage (check out the pictures). Will the X10 linkage work on an X2 frame (It looks a little different on the picture)? Any suggestions?

Similar Products Used: None
Peter   Cross Country Rider [Dec 22, 2000]
Strength:

frame,component selection, handling, durability,

weight

This is my first dual suspension bike, and I gotta say...I love it. I must add, the dealership was excellent, I mean, I walked in, and this X-2 fell prey to the newer '00 models and had it's price slashed to move it off the floor. Needless to say, A couple of thorough glances and subsequent investigation, led to reaffirm what I had originally thought...this is one hell of a deal (brand new, $799). This was the changing moment in my cycling life. After I had paid for it (a couple of weeks later thanks to a lay away plan), I took it to a couple of hills that I knew near by. I did my best to ride to the top of the hill, turned around to eye what lay before me, a monsterous drop, with some whoop-dees at the bottom, and a crevace seperating to whoops. I strapped my helmet on, prayed to The Almighty, and made my way down the hill. Can you say "trial by fire"? The first thing I noticed was the control of the bike. I love downhill stuff, and have been doing it since I could ride, but on a dual suspension bike, it's different, and to add to that, on an X-2, it's an experience that will leave a smile. I never once felt that it lose control. The suspension did it's job to the point where I wasn't noticing that it WAS working. That's about as good as it gets. I love the components...the only upgrade? Maybe new wheels (read: lighter), and possibly disc brakes. The rear shock, a Fox Vanilla, while lacking in adjustment, more than adequetly gets the job done. The Z3 100 fork is excellent, but as with the rear shock, lacks any serious adjustment besides preload.
In all, I love this bike, and as my skills grow, so too will the X-2. There are no other four bar linkage suspension set ups, with a Horst link, that could EVER compare in price and performance. Add this to the mix...2 generic parts - riserbars and seatpost. That's it! Try finding that on a sub $1000 bike.

Similar Products Used: cannondale V700
darren jones   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2001]
Strength:

bad ass bike. I had never ridden a fs bike. The x2 was great. I have never jumped a bike like I do now, I feel totally in control. THe bike is a dream downhill, I gave almost killed myself three times already

Tires suck, cranks suck, and the headset won't tighten

I traded my free agent cruiser for one of the tightest bikes I have ever ridden. Needless to say I am stocked.

Similar Products Used: none
Eric   [Mar 08, 2001]
Strength:

For the money I spent, this bike is awesome!!! It's everything I wanted in a FS bike. Although the version I got is geared for freeride or DH, it still makes a very good XC bike. Although a little on the heavy side, I'm thankfull for that weight when I'm hitting rocks and when I'm jumping off of small cliffs.

after the rear shock (RockShox Deluxe) broke in, it felt squishy and the whole back end feels like it's gonna slip right out from under me. Some chain slap from bigger hits, but i think that's to be expected.

Bottom line, for the money, this is the best bike out there. I recently started racing DH with it. And though I only have 4" of travel front and rear, I still can hang with the big boys. Very nice bike. nice balance. Reminds me of the days when I used to ride motorcycles. I love the way it handles. Very predictable bike.

Similar Products Used: GT I-Drive 4.0,3.0; different Haro FS's
Darin   Weekend Warrior [Nov 13, 2000]
Strength:

Plush ride (love that Bomber!!), solid feel, secure handling, decent components, bulletproof.

Heavy (with my thorn-proof tubes, it is about 33-34 pounds). It is a chore to go on a long ride with much uphill. Rear suspension linkage is beginning to get sloppy - if I tighten it too much, it squeaks.

I love my X2. It's heavy, but it's plush ride has saved my skin more times than I'd like to admit. It climbs like a school bus towing a yacht, but it descends like a cadillac. When bombing down hill on this thing, I can hit bumps, rocks, roots and ruts that would toss me over the handlebars of the Specialized FSR (forget about a hardtail!). It is just a really fun bike. I took it up to Northstar (a ski area in Tahoe) a couple times and beat the living hell out of it, with no ill effects. If you can handle a little extra weight on the uphill, your efforts will be well rewarded on the way down.