Devinci 2001 Banzai Full Suspension Bike

Yoss   Downhiller [Dec 17, 2001]
Strength:

Solid frame good for heavier riders.

The rear swingarm

Excellant bike however the Magura brakes are terrible they fade all of the time and require contant adjustments. I have upgraded to Hayes ... it cost me about $490.00 Cdn and was well worth the money.

Another problem I had with the bike was I cracked the swingarm in half. I'm 6 foot and 200 pounds and I came off a 6 foot drop and it broke. HOwever, I went into Steed cycle and they fixed it within an hour ... they gave me the 2002 swingarm which is way beefier and they upgraded my rear spring to a 700 from a 600. ALL AT NO CHARGE.

So with the beefier swingarm and the Hayes this bike is simply awesome! I understand the 2002 Bonzai comes with Hayes and the better swingarm so I would highly recommend that bike.

Similar Products Used: Norco Shore, BigHit Pro, Rocky Pipeline
Ted Grossutti   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2002]
Strength:

Excellent suspension design. Very stiff laterally, not too bad going up hills as some bikes in this category are. Nice choice of components minus the pricey XTR rear derailleur.Unless you are getting into competitive racing, an LX derailleur would do just fine. Psylo fork performs perfectly.

The Magura brakes are useless; nothing but trouble from day one. Do yourself a favour and switch to Hayes. The tires that come on the bike are great for riding on dirt. If you do any urban assault riding, they are a little soft and the tread is much too aggressive. Two sets of tires might be the way to go.

This bike is an absolute blast to ride! Very predictable handling even at insane speeds on very rough terrain. The suspension front and rear has performed flawlessly for a year now. You will not be disappointed with this bike. I do alot of riding that requires me to climb the hills I want to go down, and I don't fall too far behind my buddies on their cross-country full suspension bikes.

Similar Products Used: Norco VPS 2
bob hagin   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2003]
Strength:

great, smooth ride, good handling, go over curbs like nothing, good stock parts

rear shock, i broke it jumping off my house

THIS BIKE IS AMAZING, i can't say how pleased i am with the results, wow, as soon i brought it home, i got on, no setting up, and it was beautiful, after my ride round the block, set it up to what i wanted, and headed out on a bike trail thing, going off jumps and stuff

Similar Products Used: supercycle- that black and red one
Mike   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2002]
Strength:

4 Bar linkage very tough. Sealed bearings at all pivots. Tubing is bombproof

None that I can find

This bike was a good deal. I am having some creaking comming from my bottom bracket but that is most likely because it came used and needs to be replaced. Bottom line it this is a bad ass bike.

Similar Products Used: Kona Stinky Delux, Rocky Mt rm6, Trek Fuel 90, Kona stinky 9
Jeff Miller   Downhiller [Nov 22, 2001]
Strength:

Wicked ass 4-bar linkage, suuuuper plush travel, great component selection, good tires, good rims, good forx, etc, etc, etc.......

weird color paint on the back that looks different in every kind of light. Some people say it's ugly, but some say it's cool.... oh well... And it's heavy, but what bike isn't in this travel range. :)

This bike rocks.... 10 foot drops feel like 5 foot drops, rough downhill runs transform into smooth road rides... and your whole perspective of a trail will change for the better. You'll feel more comfortable with your riding skills just by riding this bike. Buy it, you'll be happy. Only thing I have to complain about is the Psylos... the bushings are already fried and it takes two weeks to send in the fork, get the bushings replaced, and send them back.... Oh well, they're still absorbing bumps, so it's all good. Overall, best bike for the money...

Similar Products Used: 2000 Giant Warp DS1, 2001 Norco VPS shore
Travis   Weekend Warrior [May 25, 2001]
Strength:

Tried Tested and True 4 Bar linkage. Frame's brute strength, pretty well equipped from the factory, smooth, decent climber, price.

She's a beast, in comparison with the Santa Cruzes I rode. I had to cut the seat post to get it down far enough for my liking, and the rear end hits the post hard if you drop it down too far - you have to compromise between a post length just too short for a good climb, and just too long for steep stuff (that is, if you're the type who does climb).

I got this bike in Jan of 01. Couldn't ride it till March, but when I did... wow. Devinci's a winner with this one. It comes decently equipped from the factory, and at a reasonable price. MSRP is 2300 CDN, I paid 2050. Canadian made by Devinci in Montreal, for those of us who like to support our country, but want a change from the west coast bikes.
The ride is sweet. I had my heart set on a Bullit, but when I rode this one, and saw that it was less coin for similar equipment, I was won over. She rides smooth and solid. I haven't had any problems with the rear end - it's still as tight and laterally stiff as the day I threw it on the VW. The psylo compliments the 5.9" rear travel well, but I do find that that is a little bit flexible for my liking. A good job would be to put the Boxxer or JR. T on this bad boy, to make the front end stand up to the punishment like the rest of the bike. My only warning is to watch that you don't put the seat down too far, because the rear end will whack it really hard...I was stupid and didn't think about this, and so bent my rear wheel when the suspension hit the seatpost off a high drop. I have now fixed the problem and found a good position for the seat, and everything is silky again. The bike climbs well - the way I have it set, it doesn't bob at all. However, I am not in the best of shape right now, and it ain't a featherweight, so that part hurts, especially when you're used to a SC superlight.
Overall, this is a great bike. An excellent alternative to the common brands - rare on the trail, and with the right rider, she'll put any Rocky, Brodie, or SC equivilant to shame. (looks nicer than those ugly rockies too!)

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Bullit, Superlight, Brodie Thumper, Rocky Mountain Pipeline
Travis Chalmers   Weekend Warrior [Jul 17, 2001]
Strength:

Still awesome

Let me clarify - the price above is the correct price I paid in American Dollars. (last time i hit the six, which is right under the nine on the keypad) In canadian Dollars, I paid 3080. Just wanted to clarify, cause I was steering some people wrong.

Cheers

ps still ten flamin chilis