Cannondale 1999 Super V 500 Full Suspension Bike

Cannondale 1999 Super V 500 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Cannondale Super V 500, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, CODA HeadShok Super Fatty M fork

[Feb 19, 2002]
Jason

Strength:

Unstoppable construction, decent weight, handles well, stiffness of Headshock, standover clearance is best in class.

bobs a little while pedaling but not unbearable. Tight riders compartment, easily fixed with new stem.

Have mountain biked since mid Eighties, this is my first full suspension, have had three hardtails, and countless fully rigid bikes (remember those?). The last Cannondale I owned was back in 87, no suspension, was a great bike, have always liked Cannondale. I need a strong frame as I am a 200 pound rider, and I havn't killed this bike yet, although I promptly swapped all my XTR and XT stuff onto it, which brought the weight down to an honest 26 pounds. Does quite well at XC and mild DH, fair on climbs. Anyone who does poorly at XC on this bike should work out a bit more, I grew up on 30+ pound non-suspended bikes, those were the good ol' days. Had to toss in the stiffest spring available for my Headshock fork due to my weight, it is easy as long as you have the right tools. This is a great bike for the intermediate rider who has good mechanical comprehension and can maintain the bike themselves, and can handle a quick-turning fs bike. The pros may want a lighter rig, the novices may want something a bit less spendy and intimidating in the handling department. I give this bike five big fat burnin' yaks.....

test ridden most everything at some point

[Jul 17, 2002]
Ken Haggett

Strength:

Seems to be a strong frame, not much heavier than my previous bikes.

The tire clearance on the head shock fork is tight if using a large front tire. Concerned about lodging a stick or rock in it and going over.

I've been very happy with this bike so far. It is the first full susp. I've owned and was concerned about the climbing ability but have been very pleased. I'm sure there is some energy lost on climbs due to the rear susp. but it feels like it makes up for it in traction gained. It is almost imposible to make this thing spin out on a climb, I can stand up on it even on a wet rocky trail and it just keeps plowing ahead. I'm still getting used to decending with it but it's getting to be a lot of fun, very different from a rigid or front shock frame. I've read many reviews complaining about the components but riding the rocks and roots of northeast vermont a $100 part snaps just as easily as a $30 part. Everything seems to work just fine although I must admit I'm not possitive if the components are original equip.

First fs, other bikes: K2 Zedx front susp., cadex carbon fiber, 85 Specialized stumpjumper

[Sep 25, 2001]
Dean

Strength:

Very strong and stiff aluminum construction. Visually unique.

After 5000 miles and 4years, none yet.

I bought this bike in 1997. Its best quality is the maintenance free design. The rear swing arm pivots on a sealed cartridge bearing, not some lousey plastic bushing. To prove my point, I have just under 5ooo miles logged and only recently for the first time ever I had to remove the swingarm due to some creeking. All I did was clean the bearing well and add a little grease and the bike is silent again. Cannondale provides a lifetime warranty on the frame and this bike looks awesome.

Nothing comes close

[Apr 16, 2003]
Benjamen Ortiz

Strength:

Everything This bike rocks.

A little heavy if you need to carry it. But who carries their bike?! Front derailer is a pain to adjust. Still can't get it right.

This bick is great. I get alot of looks from it over here. Suspension is good for everything here. Bike is a little heavy for all the hills here but otherwise. I don't think i'll get rid of it 100 thumbs up.

Diamondback Topanga (Hard Tail)

[Aug 09, 2001]
eamonn digaetano

Strength:

lateral stiffness, durability, quality, good components

front fork setup on mine was a little soft tough to upgrade. none other than that

i cannot believe what i got for this price. At the time when i decided that i needed a new bike, this one was out of the question but later on, it had good marks on my checklist. Ive got the new swingarm on the back and the suspension has given me no problems on the climbs yet, not even the long ones. if you are a new in full suspension, you should definitely consider this bike it has barely any mantenance other than having to put it away in the garage when you are done. it is a fun bike and i love it.

gary fisher sugar

[Sep 24, 2000]
Brady Owens

Strength:

A Tank! Bulletproof design, well Thought out. What else would you expect from Cannondale

Junk rims. And a not so good trail riding front tire

This bike is well built. A blast to ride. And handles a trail like no other. Plus a hell of a price for such a well built and designed bike.

I'm a mechanical engineer so this bike lived up to my standards of a well engineered and thought out bike.

However the rims that come with it (Weimann) are pure junk. They had to replace my front one cause the sidewals of the rim bent at the seem when you applied the brake. I now have an Araya front rim and Coda hub, I'll be replacing the rear as soon as I possibly can.

My bike came with the Continental Atlanta on the front. It's straight line performance is awesome but can take a corner the size of a football field, has no side bite.

Have had a few problems with the STX front derailure, probably will upgrade it later. But the rest of the bike is perfect. And for the price it's awesome.

Schwin Hurricane upgraded to the hilt

[Dec 30, 1999]
buzz lightyear

Strength:

bike has held up through some punishing rides

Low end componets

Great bike will need to upgrade some componets when the ones on it wear out.

Klien, Trek

[Dec 29, 1999]
chad capece
Downhiller

Strength:

light weight for a full shock bike.

the tubing is to large, and only 60mm travle fatty head fork.

this bike rides smooth and climbs like like a hard tail.

cannonndale super V900

[Jul 15, 1999]
Pat Carey

Strength:

0 pogo effect. Easily upgraded fork and components. Kick Ass rear suspension with that FOX Vanilla.

Came shipped without the elastomer in the fork and waited two weeks for a new one. They shipped me the wrong one the first time.

It is a great all around bike for the money i upgraded to spin v19 wheels and hayes disk brakes with an xt drivetrain, but kept the bars, cranks, and stem because i love em so much.

Specialized FSR, GT LTS, AMP Research B5, Schwinn S10 Trek Y-22, Klien Mantra Race

[May 24, 2001]
Jonathan

Strength:

Solid, solid, solid. Turns on a dime and gives you nine cents change. Suspension isn't too mushy even after 2 years and several hundred miles.

Stock set up. Cheap wheels, derailleurs, cassett and chainrings.

This is my 3rd review of this bike since March of 2000. As I live with the machine I'll update from time to time.
This is a great bike. No problems that I haven't been the primary cause of (derailluer smashing). The bike turns quickly, handles very well...just a good rig. It's not featherlite, but it's not super heavy either. I've cut some weight by adding carbon fiber and new wheels, but full suspension is going to weigh more than a hardtail; a small price to pay if it saves your bad back and knees.
I still love this bike after 2 years. I may have to replace the pedals in the not-too-distant future. Soaks up hits and shrugs off abuse like water off a duck's back. I highly recommend this bike. Properly set up, it's as good as the exotic, high-priced f/s bikes out there. Take time to get to know the bike and choose with care your upgrade components. Upgrade rule of thumb: spend a lot now or even more later. Take care of this bike and it will "love" you right back.

GT LTS 3