Cannondale 1999 Super V 2000 Full Suspension Bike

1999 Super V 2000

1999 Cannondale Super V 2000, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Mountain Mix components, CODA HeadShok Super Fatty SL fork

YellowBird   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2008]
Strength:

Price for frame (in 2008!). Easy to build up. Super Fatty SL Headshok suspension - balanced and firm w/correct pressure for your weight. Fox rear racing shock - I keep it almost locked out, still a responsive, plush ride. TIGHT turning - flexible, strong frame (no "loose" riding).

zero.

I am one with the bike - The way riding should be.

Similar Products Used: 1999 Cannondale CAAD4 F3000 hardtail - no comparison in riding satisfaction, except for the Headshok.
Jason   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2006]
Strength:

Tight Geometry built for twisty singletrack,and rocky terrain,reliable suspension design,headshock fork tracks like a pirahna,

heavy even with upgrades,rear suspension tends to bob slightly(only really noticeable on the road)

A great woods bike,but not a great fireroad bombing bike. The same tight geometry,high bottom bracket,and short cockpit that work great in the tight and twisty add up to a handful on high speed runs. Still,for the riding I like to do it's probably the best bike I've ever ridden. Very confidence inspiring. And it looks good too!

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS-1,Cannondale F3000sl hardtail
Jorge   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2001]
Strength:

Great handling and aframe that withstands my 260 pounds, and it's awsome XT & XTR componentry

CODA brake pads don't last for more than 08 rides

It's a classic, and you don't want to get bored, stick to the ar spring rear shock....the rest is downhill!!

Similar Products Used: F-300
Steve   Weekend Warrior [Jan 13, 2000]
Strength:

Very ridgid bike, considering it's a URT of sorts, it's unbelievable. Love the HeadShock ajustability.

I guess I wish it were a little lighter but it's about as light as can be. It comes in at between 26lbs. 15oz., to 27lbs. 2oz.. I can live with that. Although I keep my rear shock a little firm, it can be an unbelievably plush ride!

Great balance in the tight twisty stuff, great on technical climbs. The riser made the bike perfect for me. Bottom line: It has raised my level of riding and confidence. We have some very rocky MNT Bike parks around here, (like Skyline in Napa), and this bike makes it soooo much fun.

Similar Products Used: Tried a few different bikes. A good bike is a quality bike that feels right to you, like they built it for you. No right, no wrong.
JC   Cross Country Rider [Nov 03, 2000]
Strength:

This bike handles great around turns. Frame is lightweight, good climer and fantastic on those downhills.

rear shock bussings suck! coda components not worth having.
Headshock not reliable.

Good bike, you might need to change some stock parts if you want that extra edge. It's a great bike to start out with for those looking for a full suspension. This was my first bike with rear suspension and it made a world of difference. It's a bike worth having.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz,Proflex
Yuri Cook   Cross Country Rider [May 06, 2000]
Strength:

This bike is agile in tight turns and over technical stuff. The front and rear suspension is well balanced and the rear is active while braking on technical descents. The cockpit seemed short at fist (the virtual top tube length is about an inch shorter than my Fisher Joshua, both medium), but the geometry adds to the maneuverability. This bike has definitely "improved" my riding by allowing faster recoveries and forgiving poor wheel placement. Again, balance and agility are excellent.

Poor quality calipers on the disk brakes -- they leaked repeatedly. There is a recall on certain serial numbers, but you have to check the Cannondale website. Customer service was lacking; they were rude and at first insisted that there was no recall despite the fact that it was posted. Then they insisted that I had to take the brakes to a C-dale shop. Even though I explained that the nearest C-dale dealer was over an hour away, they wouldn't exchange the calipers by mail. There's NO excuse for treating a customer that way, especially after he paid over $2K for your product. I've replaced the disks with V-brakes pending the disk repair. The single bolt seatpost is also a poor spec and won't hold my saddle level with hard riding. No problems with other components. Price of $2200-2600 is no bargain.

Good but expensive cross-country bike with a few poor specs -- brakes and seatpost. Well-balanced fully-active suspension. Fast and agile with a somewhat short cockpit --good for turns and technical stuff. I think riders who like rocky/rooty and twisting trails would be pleased with the ride; long distance riders might like a longer, more comfortable top tube length.

There is no excuse for treating customers poorly, if they pay this kind of money for a product -- or, actually, even if they don't. I like the Super V, and I understand that components sometimes fail. However, I will probably not buy another C-dale product simply because their customer service was so rude to me.

Similar Products Used: Fisher Joshua
Yuri Cook   Cross Country Rider [May 06, 2000]

Similar Products Used: Fisher Joshua
Jim Arnold   Cross-Country Rider [Aug 27, 1999]
Strength:

Engineering

new technology

I did pay alot for this bike but also new I was buying new to the market componets Coda Disks Rapid Rise etc. So I did not expect to have the reliablity of my old 8 sp rapid fire GT Avalanche. It took me about 3-4 months to find the air pressures that work for me. And I still am experimenting. Any one who thinks they can get on one of these bikes and just ride forever guess again. I have a great GT I'll sell you since I never ride it. I think the supension is very responcive for XC. I did have the shims migrate on my Super Fatty but had the local Cannondale rep install the retaining clip modification while at a race in Killington's parking lot. Cudo's Rich. The brakes have been an evolving effort. When the work man are they sweet. But a different manufacture and compound are a big improvement. In the mean time Cannondale had worked with me supplying different pads and service at my LBS when he came through town. My only disappointment is with the Rapid Rise. I never got it dialed in. Changed cables and bent a couple of Casettes. I am biting the bullet and installing 9.0sl . Sorry for the lengthy post but these are my trials and tribulations. Would I do it again? Have you ever rode a V bike with disk brakes? You bet.