BMW 1999 Q6.S Full Suspension Bike

BMW Q6.S

Arthur Marshall   Weekend Warrior [Apr 06, 2014]
Strength:

Strong, and has the suspension of my BMW bike which is excellent and unlike any other motorbikes.

Although it has not broken down yet after eleven years, I am afraid I wont be able to find spares as the bike is very unique

Got it cheap to start with. BMW dealer owed me some money so I decided to go for one of the bikes they had on display which I got for half the price or even a bit less. It is smooth and the riding experince is very unique. It might not be able to compete with the best mountain bikes (ten years later) but it has taken a lot of abuse by a non-professional who has taken it downhill and over bumps and other trails. Nowadays its my city bike and on the weekends the odd off road cycling. When you break in corners it's when you feel the most difference. It also folds but somehow it doesn't not save so much space unless you take the front wheel off. Its a bit of a pain to put it back on but that is the case with all bikes with disk brakes. Otherwise a very fine bike unlike other 'brand" bikes like Range Rover, Jaguar, Mercedes which are not really anything else but bikes with stickers on with the car manufacturers' logos. Now (11 years later) it's a bit dated but for me I cannot see buying another bike unless it breaks down and cannot be fixed. I doubt it since I'm not doing much of the early downhill I used to do. Still smooth. Today in Belgium riding in southern Brussels.

Similar Products Used: Canondale
ryanjt86   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2010]
Strength:

Looks, Quality, Top notch parts

None, Don't know why anyone could write a weakness about this bike.

Not sure what people are talking about the pivot bolt breaking! That;s BS, I've spoken to the bike shop that's the only one authorised in Melbourne and he said he has not heard of it.

I also take this bike through technical trails and have flown off many 2 foot or even higher jumps without a issue. Seems pretty well built to me.

I love the look of it and you dont see a BMW mountain bike everyday!

Similar Products Used: Shogun
nikamichi   Cross Country Rider [Apr 10, 2009]

Self distructing front pivot

This bike has a design defect.

The bolt which holds the front together is very week, and in my case broke. This has caused me 3 years of pain with a titanium plate in my collar bone.

BMW don't care, and their authorised repair can't get parts or work out an alternative route to repair.

This bike is in the top 3 mistakes of my life.

MIKE WOOD   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2001]
Strength:

superb ride quality, just so smooth,looks brilliant,every ride someone comments,ace bike or wow! and total amazement that it can fold & fit in the car boot.it is the ultimate ride.suspension is telelever and does not dive on brakeing, the rear shock is a paioli coil-over-oil unit and has about 4in of travel as does the front , the main frame structure is built around a swingarm centerd on a single, well engineered pivot.

you have to get the quick release the right tightness or the frame will creak, thought at first it was the crank or pedals , but it is the pivot q/r (to tight & it creaks)also BMW staff dont have a clue that the q6 exists.

it was a big decision to buy this bike,after all i had a cannondale,but the style and fact that it could fold,decided it for me. i have no regets it is a joy to use and it puts a smile on my face evert time i use it.the bike handles well,desighn and constructon are wonderful.also and i love this a nice BMW badge on the stem, and BMW embossed on the down frame.

Similar Products Used: MARIN ,specialized , cannondale.
Mick Newman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 27, 2001]
Strength:

Beatifully designed, with all components looking like they are part of an integrated whole, rather than many bikes which have the look of disparate parts cobbled together.For example, the BMW has been designed from the start for disc brakes,so there are no unused cantilever fittings cluttering up the clean lines.

Its muddy in winter in the UK, and there are no easy options for fitting mudguards, particularly at the front.The seat pin is way to short if you are over 6ft like me and will need to be the first thing replaced if you want a good riding position

This really is a classy bike.It has unusal, but striking good looks and it is very well made. The quality of the alloy forgings and the welding holding it all together is as good as I have seen anywhere.The ride is very direct, and the ability to lock out the rear suspension on the fly is just great when there is a hill to climb.If I had to criticise,then I would point out that all the high quality fittings bring with them a weight penalty. There are much lighter bikes around. But then again I have had frame breakages with lighter bikes,so I guess Bmw have probably got it about right.

Similar Products Used: Raliegh Appalachian hardtail
GT RTS 1 full suspension
Whyte PRST1
Dan   Racer [May 02, 2001]
Strength:

The frame has never made a sound, it is 4.75 pounds, and has 6" of travle in the rear. The cornering ability is awesome, and the downhill prowess is excelent with the Jr. T.

I have not found one in the frame!

Nice, very strong, light, and fast. The bike has already been abused and brought to its limits and it held up great. I am very proud of this investment.

Similar Products Used: Gt lobo, Giant DH 1 TEAM(nice bike), Specelized Enduro Expert.
WS   Weekend Warrior [Feb 19, 2001]
Strength:

Beautiful finishing, and no ugly colors found in so many of the 'high end bikes'

For the money, all the 'pros' will go for something else.

So a BMW Bike. Foldable. and the price tag. That will imo, turn 90% of the 'serious bikers' away.
The bike comes with XTR components, Magura Louise braking systems. Top notch components. Frame is very sturdy, perhaps a little sturdy for its own good, resulting in a 28lbs overall weight.
The 'folding' design imo is BRILLIANT and is not a concern in terms of reliability. It's extremely handy.
Front suspension shares the same geometry as their Motorbikes. Works like a charm. The rear suspension works equally well, and it is a 'treat' to see how the folding mechanism and the rear supension work 'together'.
Certainly, real bikers should look into others. But if you want a 'lifestyle accesory' (how bmw positions it), it's perfect!

Similar Products Used: Wheeler, Trek
Robert   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 1999]
Strength:

Fork, brakes, price

tires
pedals

Great price for a near competition level bike. The fork is a full three level upgrade, the brakes are at least two levels up from the 4500. All for about 100 more. I have had it for only a few weeks and have popped a tire on a curb (embarrsingly enough) but no other problems yet. Overall, the components make this bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek 4500
Diamondback Response
Cannondale somehing (it sucked)
andy pandy   [Oct 05, 2007]
Strength:

good spec

THE DEALERS!! bmw are NOT bike dealers, they sell cars and their back up systems cant cope with bikes!
it has an obvious weak point in the suspension

At first glance this looks a great spec bike, however the radical suspension is dependent on the pivot point taking much of the strain. IF this bolt fails (and it is only a small bolt) then you have a useless bike! I was lucky on 2 counts, 1. I was just trolling along a minor road when the bolt failed 2. the bike was under warranty.

Sadly BMW took 8 months to repair the bike, having to send it back to germany for repair, EIGHT MONTHS!!!!! then 2 months later, the bolt snapped again. I am now STILL waiting (6 months) for a replacement bike as the dealership cant get hold of any!

the BIG moral of this is DO NOT BUY A BMW BIKE, the aftercare is non existent.