Avanti 2000 ADX 250 Full Suspension Bike

• Brakes Shimano Deore V-Brakes
  • Rims Araya TM840 Aluminium Double Wall Black

• User Reviews (8)

andy   Weekend Warrior [Jul 20, 2010]
    Strength:

all except frame

frame..

frame cracked after medium to mild riding for not much more than a year...good basic machine, needs refinement

Similar Products Used: prior hard tail rider
    Adam   Weekend Warrior [May 17, 2006]

There is a swingarm design problem on this bike. The first swingarm lastest me a couple of years, but the second which they said was stronger and an improved design lastest about 10km of XC riding.

This is a follow up to my previous review. The Avanti ADX frame is weak. You shouldn't ride it any further than you're prepared to carry it back. I traded it in for a hardtail frame so at least I'd have some reliability. Shop staff were rude and very difficult to deal with. Overall the bike is nice to ride, but I'd prefer something reliable.

Similar Products Used: Hardtails and Norco Six
    Pablo   Weekend Warrior [Mar 22, 2001]
    Strength:

Value for money, 7005 butted frame, uniform componentry throughout, rear shock

none for this price

Best value bike by far in this price range. I've taken it downhilling at Thredbo with no worries at all, even keeping up with some instructors so this bike is not just a cross country ride. The bike's also been crashed hard many times on steep sandstone singletrack trails attempting drops larger than my current ability, but the ADX still gives me the confidence to get back on and try again with more body armour. The strength of the componentry and frame surprises me each time I take it out. It has taken everything I've thrown at it. If you weigh over 90kg though, get the heavier yellow fork springs and change to wider tyres for better free riding and downhilling.

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS, Giant Warp Series
    Rollo   Weekend Warrior [Aug 15, 2001]
    Strength:

Good geometry, four bar linkage, good price. All Shimano componentry (not a mixed assortment of brands). Strong, can take some serious crashes every now and then with no need of repairs.

Came with cheap throw-away pedals, Fox coil was oversprung, Manitou Magnum was undersprung. Heavier to the similar Specialized FSR, but stronger I think... I've read that the FSR had to redesign its linkage for 2001.

Nice starting point for a first time full suspension bike. Although designed as an XC bike in stock form, it can be upgraded to a great dual slalomer or light free-rider.
    Great price if left in stock form. Trial and error upgrading can get costly. Great performer, great potential, but under rated.

Similar Products Used: Giant XTX 1999, GT I-drive 2000, Santa Cruz Bullit 2001
    Adam   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2004]
    Strength:

Nice balance of Shimano fittings for the price, tough bike, great for XC / Freeride.

Came with Specialized Dirtworks tyres. The rear tyre had terrible traction when climbing. Original Pedals.

If you are looking at buying your first bike for XC / Freeriding this is an excellent choice. It's a good value, well balanced bike thats always great to ride and can also handle a bit of abuse.

Similar Products Used: Only hardtails. I'd never go back
    Jo Blo   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2004]
    Strength:

Good geometry, good price (I bought it second hand. Was about $1700 new).

Seems to be a swing arm weakness. I've broken the swing arm, near the front, three times (replaced twiced, repaired once).

Good bike but if you are going to do some hard riding I don't think it's up to it. Biggest drop I did was about 1 1/2 meters and didn't do anything this size very often. It seems they've taken them off the market but if you are looking at getting one second hand only use it for harder cross country riding... don't do drop off's on it. There are better options.

Similar Products Used: Nothing to compare to this
    Paul Noble   Downhiller [May 22, 2002]
    Strength:

Frame continually impresses with strength after other components are upgrading to cope with light freeriding. The 2 main pivots are bearings which are much stronger than simliar FSR's.

Original pedals, forks, stem and bars, but still great value for the price.

Looking back, I should have gone with a Kona Stinky or Giant AC2 but I'm still ahead $$$-wise. :-) Anyway, upgrading parts is always fun if your ability allows the difference to be appreciated. Currently making extension plates to hopefully increase the rear travel from 4" to 5". I've bought a progressive 800-1200lb spring to cope. This bike was a little heavier than similar XC duallies but in my opinion, it's because it's stronger. I've repeatly taken 6ft drops and have only had one shock repair (Fox Vanilla) so far.

Similar Products Used: NRS, Warp, FSR Specialised.
    Leigh   Cross Country Rider [Jun 08, 2003]
    Strength:

Price, design and components for price

Basic fork, heavy, frames that break

I am a lightweight that only rides cross county yet i have broken the frame on the seat mast. I know of 5 others Adx frames that have done the same in various places (mostly seat mast and chainstays). No wonder Avanti have taken them off the market. Don't buy one.