AMP Research 1999 B5 Full Suspension Bike

1999 AMP Research B5, mountain bike, front & rear suspension, Shimano XTR components, AMP Research F4BLT, 3.2" travel fork

rex mccoppin   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2000]
Strength:

light weight, mine's 24 lbs dead with light but not superlight components
climbing ability
looks cool

shocks

bought bare frame at great local bike shop for $10 less than mail order price. went thru 3 front shock rebuilds (F-4)before putting my old fork on it and when thr rear shock blew i put a risse on it( glad i had another bike to ride or i would have given up on this one)it's now a real 24 lb. full susp. it's taken over a year to get it to work but now it's terriffic. the risse and normal fork made it a great bike but had to re-engineer the rear susp to get it to ride great. the risse jacks the rear of the bike up more than an inch and makes the steering angle way too steep. the best mod was to make a new bolt hole in the swing link 17mm out (away from the frame)for the shock mount and the rear end of the bike will come down to where it should be (BB height now is 13" high, not 14) the rear travel was reduced from 3.5" down to 3" but is smoother and has not bottomed out since with 160 lbs in shock (my weight) i bought a new swing link from amp for $30 and had a machine shop duplicate the shock bolt hole further out on it, i also bought a bushing kit which made it easier to install.
(not the 5" claimed rear travel)

Similar Products Used: s/c heckler, bianchi super g, scott vertigo,
mongoose amplifer, proflex 4000, fsr
Bob   Cross Country Rider [Mar 19, 2001]
Strength:

Fast, Great Climber, Front Fork doesn't dive, Nimble in Tight Single Track

Rear Shock, Bushing Seals, Frame Cracking, brake pads are too expensive ~$35/set

Best riding bike I've had (~4000miles). Required lots of maintenance though. Had the rear shock rebuilt 3 times by Amp and then got the Risse Air shock, no problems with that since (I'm a 170# rider, mostly cross country). Most of the rear bushings are easily replaceable, and have gone through 2 bushing replacemnts. I found that if I covered the rear shock and pivots with Lizard Skins, the bushings lasted much longer.
The Front fork bushings wore out in about a year, had the LBS send it back to the factory and it was warranteed rebuilt.
Lately the bike had been creaking, finally found the seat tower cracked near the quick release, AMP warranty replaced it. Then found a hairline crack in the rear seatstay to chainstay aluminum casting, AMP will probably warranty that too. Then found a big crack in the headtube to downtube joint, probably won't warranty that one as the weld had been ground out by a brake cable housing that I routed thru there when I first got the bike.
The front fork(F4) is the only one that doesn't dive in corners and heavy braking. All the rock shock's, manitou's, Jeykll Lefty forks all dive under the same conditions. The fork is also spot on for steering, very precise, like my Jekyll Lefty.
Disc brakes worked great, not the strongest disc's out there, but the modulation was great, compared to hydraulic discs I have ridden.
It was pricey 2 years ago, but had disc brakes, which seem to be a must in the NorthWET here. Needed quite a bit of maintenance, but then AMP fixed a lot of stuff for free. AMP isn't selling very many bikes anymore, they never really did, but the design lives on in Specialized, Intense, and several other companies, even Klein and Gary Fisher seem to have copied the design but left out the rear stay pivots to get out of licensing issues.
If you can get one cheap, its worth it, but I wouldn't pay full price again. So I got a C-dale Jekyll F2000, see if it lasts longer...

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jekyll, Klein Mantra, Amp B4, Schwinn
Big Daddy   Weekend Warrior [Nov 03, 2000]
Strength:

Light, light, LIGHT!! Very responsive, very quick handling (steep head tube), easily maintained, plush XC geared performance that doesn't slow you down.

I hesitate to say rear shock as it is easily serviced, but does require frequent maintenance.

This bike has received unwarranted flack for the rear shock. Okay, you have to rebuild it. That is the price of having a coil/oil shock under 2/3 of a pound. The rebuild kit is around $10, cheap maintenance even if it is done a couple times per year. Mine came with a Risse, I couldn't stand the shock as it was stiff with stiction - had to pump it up to over 330 PSI, and I weigh 170 lbs. No, I went back to the old shock (built it up myself, if you take care, it will work well and the seals will last a while). I can now build and rebuild all AMP shocks/oil cartridges, and they are all based on the same design - simplicity. Horst was way ahead of his time, as Intense, Specialized, and everyone else using the 4 bar linkage are now discovering. Too bad people didn't embrace the light full suspension idea when it was trully created - not in the last couple years like most think, but over 5 years ago by HOrst Leitner. My bike, with dual discs, weighs in at about 22.7 lbs - phenominal. Show me another bike that has over 4" rear fully active travel that can say that-not many out there. The industry missed the boat on this one, and now unfortunately AMP is no longer in the bicycle business. Another good one forgottone because of industry hype. Sorry to see you guys go, AMP! 5 flaming dead horses for this baby.

Similar Products Used: Heckler, Spec'd FSR.
Jim Hilo   [Apr 06, 2000]
Strength:

Lightweight great handling bike.

Rear shock

When I first got It, the carbon fiber pulled out, it was replaced with no hassel.Went thru 2 shocks.They than got me a good deal on a risse.No complaints now.This bike is great.I ride it every other day, sometimes more.I weigh almost 190 lbs and I don"t baby it.

Similar Products Used: Proflex Beast,Mongosse
dan   Cross Country Rider [Mar 07, 2000]
Strength:

beautiful design and engineering

rear shock

great bike but I blew out the rear shock the second week i owned the bike. FYI: i am 160 lbs. and i was riding it in central park, new york city. which is not exactly a hardcore terrain. great bike. but as said in other reviews needs maintenance and I would replace the rear shock immediately.

Similar Products Used: none
Jay Johnstone   Cross Country Rider [Mar 03, 2000]
Strength:

Weight, geometry

maintenance, shock

This is a good bike, and like everyone else is saying, it would be way better if the shock worked 100% and you didn't constantly have to fiddle to keep it on the trail! I am 6', 200 lbs, and when you add a big camelbak and 5 pounds of mud, I don't trust it a lot on long epics. If you like working on your bike, and you weigh sub 150lbs, I'd say this bike rules. If you're heavier, don't rule it out, but check out some other options. I ride an Intense as well, which is a heavier (a LOT heavier), but could survive thermonuclear war.

I've been checking out other shock options, mainly Stratos, if anyone has any experience altering the frame to fit a tougher (ie wider than current frame will take) shock in, WRITE ME!!! I am currently looking at altering the seat post triangle to make it a bit wider, and any advice or success/failure stories would be appreciated.

Similar Products Used: Intense UZZI-SL (kinda similar :)
spencer taylor   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 15, 1999]
Strength:

light wieght

Frame out of alignment, seatmast off center, carbonfiber rear-end rattles, makes constant noise!

All I have to say is I feel riped-off. I sent my frame back, they put it in a jig AND BENT IT BACK! dose that inspire confidence in you , it did not in me. with the rear end noise they flat out told me that they would do nothing about it because there are no visible signs of damage. Now I have a realy expensive toy that dose not work properly! also
get this! I was told my waranty was void because I GREASED MY REAR PIVOTS!!! apperently if your AMP rear end sqeeks you can't lube it. Save your money, and buy a bike from a company that backs up thier products.

Similar Products Used: I replaced my FSR-XC with the B-5
Jim Hunter   Cross-Country Rider [Sep 19, 1999]
Strength:

handling light weight appeal

cost

ive ridden and raced motor cycles and mountain bikes for over 30 years. the fully active susphension, the powerful yet senstive disc brakes,the swing link hooked up to the coil spring,the f4, forks the frame geometry make this the finest handling bike on the market. all fully susphenion bike designs are not created equal.actually its beauty make it a work of art.admitelly you have to tweak on it a bit,but my riding partner gibson anderson and i enjoy that,motor cycle riders call it bench racing amp gives us great tech.support when we need it.i loved my b4 but the b5 is in a whole league above. weight is 24 lbs and change.

Similar Products Used: amp b4 santa cruz giant 990 klien pinnacle richey team comp cz hodacka honda 90
Kevin C   Weekend Warrior [Sep 16, 1999]
Strength:

light, fast and comfortable

crappy stock shock

Well, I'm 140 lbs and went through 4 AMP shocks. To their credit, they sent them out quick. After countless stories of the shock being re-engineered I went for the Risse and couldn't be happier. The 100mm travel Xvert has also helped (I never went with the stock fork). Again, to their credit, look where one of the most popular FS frame design these days originated - the B5. Ride it first and expect to repacle the rear shock soon.

TRAVIS   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 1999]
Strength:

LIGHT

CROOKED FRAME, FLEXY GHOST SHIFTS, NO WAY DOES IT HAVE 5

BIKE SUCKS. THIS IS THE 2ND AMP I'VE HAD W/ A CROOKED FRAME. CONSTANT GHOST SHIFTING. GAINED 2 LBS SWITCHING TO A K2 4000 AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. WANNA BUY A FRAME CHEAP?