Aeon Joker Full Suspension Bike

Full suspension freeride, 6" rear wheel travel, extruded aluminum front and rear triangles.

John Nguyen   Weekend Warrior [Dec 06, 2001]
Strength:

Solid, stiff, climbs like a hardtail- really! Bombproof.

Kinda heavy- but hey, it makes ya stronger.

This is an update after 6 months. The most fun bike I've ever ridden. It climbs like a hardtail and tracks surprisingly well. It is a solid bike with lots of travel and great pedal action. The rear tracks the gnarliest of trails and you can always make your own line. The Fox Vanilla RC doesn't stiffen up in cold weather- score! I can ride this bike all year round.

Similar Products Used: Proflex Beast
howorth   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2002]
Strength:

Solid Frame, awesome pedal geometry, this bobs less than my 4 " xc Specialized bike and climbs better. Nice finish.With Lifetime warranty I could not pass it up! Good BB height no more bashing pedals.

The only weakness is when guys post stuff on here promoting a different brand because supposedly the Joker couldnt handle a 4 footer. I think Manufacturers reps should pee off!

This is the ultimate rig for what I do and that is pedal to the top and bomb down on any line I want to take. This thing is like a couch, just eats everything up!
Even with a cheapo Manitou fork I am carving down hills that just flexed my Specialized.
The Bike Company in Lake Forest do a killer job on building your frame and excellent service, go see them if you are upgrading from xc weight weenie land.

Similar Products Used: 2002 Bullit, 2000 Enduro Pro
magu   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2002]
Strength:

Uphill, downhill, freeride, payride, good multi-purpose vehicle

NONE (so long as my swingarm doesn't break like my fellow jokesters)
Well actually the decals look too fancy schmancy for a bike that's BAD ASS.

So far so good. Handles the same way my ISIS did (which was very good) but with MORE TRAVEL!!!! I'm still able to ride uphill and I'm finding myself picking different lines because I know that my Joker can handle it. Going downhill is much more satisfying than it use to be. If you're looking for a bike than can do everything than definitely keep this in mind.

PS-if you're in ISIS/JOKER limbo either get the ISIS with the option to install a bigger rear shock or just go with the Joker. I can almost guarantee that if you get the ISIS, you'll be looking for more travel eventually.

Similar Products Used: aeon isis
James Wilson   Downhiller [Jan 28, 2002]
Strength:

Inexpensive, climbs well, light weight

Swing arm strengh leaves much to be desired, sometimes when you land the rear feels a little harsh

This is actually a follow up to a pevious review. I'm here to tell you that the swingarm does break eventually and when it goes it goes big time. I have a 15 foot gap jump and a 6 foot drop to semi-flat set up in my back yard that I hit for giggles daily and my trails boast 8-10 footers so maybe lack of sick air why the gentelman below hasn't broke his yet because I certainly do not "need to learn to ride". The crappy part is this is my back up frame that only sees action when the mood strikes me so it doesn't see daily abuse like my Turner RFX (which hasn't even thought of breaking). The folks at Ellsworth told me that swingarm failures have been a problem and they are currently using a reinforced internal sleeve when welding it together so hopefully the problem will be solved because having your bike break on a mear 4 footer is a little unnerving. Luckily it wasn't on the Devils Diving Board or some other sick drop or I might have been hurt. Just be careful and check the welds for cracks often.

Similar Products Used: Turner RFX(the ultimate freeride machine), Kona Stinky
jason   Weekend Warrior [Jan 27, 2002]
Strength:

STRENGTH TO WEIGHT RATIO
EXCELLENT CLIMBER, BUDGET LIGHT DOWNHILLER
VERSITILITY OF BUILD OPTIONS: XC 4", FREERIDE 6", ECT.
ELLSWORTH NAME AND SERVICE
QUALITY OF FINISH(ALMOST SCRATCH PROOF)

BROKE PIVOT BOLT (ALUMINUM)I OVERTIGHTENED IT. ELLSWORTH REPLACED WITH A STAINLESS BOLT.
BOTH SHOCK MOUNT BOLT NEEDED TO BE TIGHTENED AFTER EVERYRIDE. WHICH YOU SHOULD DO ANYWAY BUT MY ENDED UP BENDING. * SEE BELOW FOR FIX.
FLOATING REAR DISK OPTION?

I RESEARCHED BIKES FOR 5 MONTHS BEFORE DECIDING ON GETTING THE JOKER. BEST DECISION I COULD HAVE MADE. I HAVE BEEN NOTHING BUT HAPPY WITH THIS BIKE. I DO A LOT OF NIGHTIME URBAN RIDING DURING THE WEEKDAYS THEN TURN AROUND AND TAKE IT TO THE HILLS FOR LONG XC RIDES. IF I COULD ONLY OWN ONE BIKE (UNTHINKABLE) THIS WOULD HAVE TO BE IT.

FOR THOSE THAT ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE SWINGARM BREAKING, FORGET ABOUT IT. I DO 6' DROPS TO FLAT ALL THE TIME AND I WEIGHT 190. IF SOMEONE TELLS YOU THEIR SWINGARM BROKE EITHER THEY NEED TO LOSE WEIGHT OR LEARN HOW TO RIDE.

* SHOCK MOUNT BOLT FIX: I NOTICED A LOT OF PLAY IN THE BOLTS AFTER EVERY RIDE. I REPLACED THE ALUMINUM METRIC BOLTS WITH STANDARD 1/4" STAINLESS STEEL BOLTS. NO FRAME MOD REQUIRED, YOU JUST HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE SHOCK MOUNT INSERTS WITH A 1/4" BIT. THE 1/4" BOLTS ARE ONLY SLIGHTY LARGER (APPROX. .5MM DIA). ITS WORKED PERFECT SINCE.

Similar Products Used: GT THIS, SPECIALIZED THAT AND CANNONDALE WHATEVER.
chris   [Jan 19, 2002]
Strength:

Just that - strength; the attention to detail and machining on this frame are top notch; incredibly solid. Beautiful anodized finish and laser etching are sweet, the THE chainstay protector is nice looking and very thick.

Need to put more time on it in the saddle - or, probably not in the saddle, but with my butt hanging over the back end, bombing down some hill - smiling all the way

Bottom line - see above, the few rides on this bike so far have been convincing - very solid, confidence inspiring, zero bob (and i'm a solid 195lbs) but very plush feel. I will update once i have really put this to the test and some of the snow clears.

Similar Products Used: I owned primarily lightweight XC racers till now - cannondale, sweet carbon fiber fisher, giant. So, i researched heavily since i was finally making the switch to full-sprung. I have ridden the lighter, racier models like Sugars and Fuel - nice bikes, but i want no flex and confidence barreling down hills - therefore, looked at Santa Cruz (like rest of the world) which are very nice, but the Ellsworth was more solid, life-time guarantee, and just looks awesome.
shaums   [Jan 16, 2002]
Strength:

Looks pretty nimble, paint is almost scratch proof.

lots: big swingarm issues (as in: they break...easily), frame is too light weight for hard core dh-ing.

This ride is weak. First of all, paid far too much. Second, the swingarm was hangin by my chain (literally) after a pus*y gap. Climbs ok for a 6" travel bike, although I wasn't absolutely flabergasted like they said I would be (about climbing). My old Bullit climbed better I thought, which I stil have by the way...and still in one piece. You guys save some notes and stick with what works. Go buy a Bullit.

Similar Products Used: Bullit, Scalpel, Trek Fuel
peter   [Dec 15, 2001]
Strength:

Super strong, hadles 5ft drops like it's nothing, awsome slime green paint!

little heavy, but not for what it's designed to do.

Great bike. I am so glad i went with the joker instead of the bullit. i probably would have liked the bullit but the joker is just plain awsome. I would highely recommend it. it's great for urban freeriding. It handles 5ft drops so easily. I love my new bike.

Similar Products Used: cannondale jekyll, lots of others
James Wilson   Weekend Warrior [Apr 11, 2003]

Sold through Beyond Bikes(those guys suck), 2 broken swingarms.

2, count them 2, broken swingarms in less than a year. I was assured that I was recieving an updated swingarm after my first one broke and almost hurt me(luckily it was only a 4 footer). Turns out they lied and sent me another swingarm from the same batch. Since I don't trust something that has broken once I check my welds regularly and low and behold, not 7 months later the swingarm is cracking in the same place. I return it to Ellsworth and that's when they tell me that they didn't send me the most recently updated swingarm last time but they would this time. Once again, I receive a swingarm with welds that looks exactly like the 2 before it that broke. The newest version has no welds for the reasons I listed in my review below but I guess 2 broken swingarms doesn't warrant special attention and the absolute best they have. This is a bunch of crap. Plus, I've seen better paint jobs on WalMart bikes. It's embarrasing. And before anyone writes this off as some joker who can't ride, I also own a Turner RFX. I ride that bike into the ground and have not had one problem from that frame. A 10 footer to flat killed my Stratos fork and Fox shock but couldn't phase my frame. My Joker is my backup bike, being ridden less than 50 times before the replacement swingarm broke. This is totally unacceptable and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had this problem. Ellsworth obviously pays for a ton of ad space and must bro out the editors of mags because their product sure is sub-par but they get great press. Turner doesn't buy a bunch of adds, puts out a much better product and yet the mags barely mention them. Things that make you go hmmmmmm. Buy a Turner and don't fall for the hype.

Similar Products Used: Turner RFX
James   Downhiller [Sep 21, 2001]
Strength:

Simple and strong, minimal lateral flex, in seat climbing better than most long travel bikes

Mono pivot design just can't compete with a well done 4 bar like my new bike the Turner RFX

What can you really expect for $1400? It ain't pretty but it gets the job done. I don't like how some hits feel like butter and others feel harsh but that's a 6 inch travel mono pivot bike for you. If your looking for a budget freeride bike I'd recommend this one because it's super strong and will bail you out of some tricky situations, just don't buy it through Beyond Bikes. I learned exactly how not to treat someone who walks into your business with $3700 to spend. 6 months after buying the Joker I have a totally different bike because those guys pidgeon holed me into it. I had to specifically request certain items like Hayes discs and Race Face cranks and they acted like it was a hassle to change their pre-made build page. Then they told me it would take a week to get done. Well 2 weeks later I finally got my bike after they changed the day on me 3 times, each time promising that it would be done and acting like I was a jerk for wanting my bike when promised. These dudes are everything that's wrong with mail order "custom bike" companies.