Aeon Isis Full Suspension Bike

Full suspension XC bike, 4" rear wheel travel.

Mike Stulken   Weekend Warrior [Dec 07, 2001]
Strength:

The ride

Poor design - Manky Stickers - Color choices

Sorry to end the love-fest.
I posted a glowing review May 2000. A recent event causes me to re-think my purchase. Net conclusion - stay away from this bike unless you only intend to hop curbs on the way to the corner store. Either the execution or design of this bike is faulty, plus the much vaunted Ellsworth customer service sucks.
I was happily riding three weeks ago, going uphill on a cross-country trail - after clearing an 8" diameter log, the bike buckled under me. The rear-swing arm broke about an inch above the pivot yolk sending me sprawling. This is much the same problem described by an earlier writer. Evidently this problem was suppossed to have been fixed with my vintage of bike. I have generally kept this bike to Cross-country type trails, despite living on the North Shore. I only weigh 165lbs and I keep my shocks at a decent pressure. I have never maxed the shock out. After getting in touch with Ellsworth customer service, they sought to suggest that I was somehow to blame for this break by not keeping enough air in the rear shock. This is hogwash. I was going uphill! After discerning that it was only the rear swing-arm that was broken, they indicated that this is what they would replace - despite the frame's seat tube having the paint gouged. In sum, they agreed to replace what was broken - sticking to the letter of their warranty. No thought is given to paying for the shipping or trying to salvage a tarnished reputation by going the extra mile and replacing the whole frame. Meanwhile I have to endure having to spend time dismantling the frame and re-building. I am extremely disappointed and would not buy an Ellsworth product again. Stick to a well-known brand that has local dealer support. There are a lot more choices for this sort of bike than 2 years ago - shop around carefully!

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mountain; Kona
Frank   [Mar 11, 2002]
Strength:

Durability
Quality of construction (flawless welds, etc.)
THE RIDE
Handling

NONE

Here's an update on my Isis after 2 years and 4,000 miles of abuse. Incredibly, it is still going strong, rides like new, and I have never even touched the pivot! I ride extremely aggressive, and have gone through 3 fork rebuilds, one set of wheels (not to mention about 8 sets of front and rear tires), two saddles, one handle bar, 2 sets of peddles, etc. In fact about the only thing I can truly trust on my bike, besides my Kris King headset, is the frame. It still rides like a dream with a plush ride with no flex or bobbing, and tackles the most technical trails with precision and aplomb. I am now only getting to the point where I am considering taking apart the frame to see what shape the pivot and Fox Vanilla R shock is in. In short, I am extremely satisfied and proud of my Isis. I might add, to mollify the likes of some cynical reviewers like the Big Huckster below, that I have no affiliation whatsoever with Ellsworth. Perhaps the reason why a small boutique builder such as Ellsworth gets such rave review is that they really deserve them. A truly great and unbelievable bike!

Similar Products Used: Rocky Mt., Kona, Specialized, Trek
Sean O'Neil   Cross Country Rider [Dec 10, 2001]
Strength:

Price, engineering/design, execution of design, weld quality, finish, climbing super-tech stuff, and descending ANYTHING at high speed.

Weird monocoque main frame triangle is sort of ugly -- but who cares? A major weakness is found not in this frame itself, but the people who blame the frame instead of themselves when it breaks; people who expect frames to stand up to any abuse and not weaken. A few folks have broken Isis and Joker frames at the yoke weld. Many lie or understate what kind of abuse they put them through. For this reason, Ellsworth is concerned about JRA claims -- and rightly so. All frames can break. If the frame break is because of a bad weld/design, Ells has been good about sending new swingarms.

Amazing bike. 31 lbs as built, feels like 25. I weigh 165 and ride hard and fast x-country and freeride. My terrain is rutty, rocky, rooty Northern Rockies singletrack. This bike handles all terrain, all conditions, all speeds with agility and stability. If you break it, fully explain to Ellsworth EVERYTHING you've put it through -- from what I've heard, those whose parts have failed because of defect have received full & fair warranty treatment. Don't let the stories from bad actors ruin your choice.

Similar Products Used: Titus Switchblade, Specialized FSR Enduro Pro
Big Hucker   Downhiller [Jan 09, 2002]
Strength:

Good overall package - does many things well but nothing great

Odd looking frame
Big decals

Big Hucker has been shuttling his SC Super 8 for a couple of years now. Big Hucker’s wife was complaining about his weight gain and his developing beer gut. To appease his wife, Big Hucker bought a used Isis for spinning with the objective of reclaiming the svelte form he had when he was in his teens. Big Hucker thought he needed an FS bike because of a back problem he sustained following a huge huck gone wrong. Luckily, Big Hucker’s Super 8 was OK although he did have to take the following 3-months off work.

Big Hucker rides his Isis about once a week now, and the nausea from the physical exertion has become less of an issue (Big Hucker is getting into shape). Big Hucker hasn’t had any problems with the bike, although Big Hucker has to reluctantly ride around the big drops. For spinning, Big Hucker gives this bike a thumbs up.

Big Hucker is concerned about this site. As the heading says “Mountain Bike Reviews Written by Mountain Bikers.” However, it appears that this site may have become a marketing tool by manufacturers and their hired agencies. The number of reviews for Aeon’s three products totals 150 –for a boutique type manufacturer like Ellsworth? Come on, Big Hucker didn’t come down the Fraser on a canoe yesterday. Furthermore, Big Hucker has heard about these frames breaking on the occasion, yet hardly a word about it in these reviews. And when it was mentioned in a review, the review was quickly criticised by someone who seems very intimate with both Ellsworth and warranty claims (this person also has an “SL” – why is the post under this category except to object to the findings of a previous reviewer).

Mountain Biking is Big Hucker’s life, and this site has in the past contributed to his purchase decisions.

Big Hucker would like the people to keep it real. Go Big.

Big Hucker

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Super 8 (not similar though it is a bike)
Rocky Mountain Thin Air
Kung Fool   Downhiller [Jan 05, 2002]
Strength:

Its made of metal

quality control on welds

This bike has some appealing features - like "Dangerous Dan" rides it. Ellsworth sponsors him -so it must be a cool bike. Dan is also a Canuck. Check out his pictures hucking huuuge drops at his flowriders.com on an aeon isis. unfortunately, i know the guy two reviews down and if his experience is anything to learn from, the back ends on these bikes must be breaking like matchsticks with any sort of hucking. mine works ok for now, since I treat it well - but i don't like the tone of the last reviewer. is there some sort of secret aeon brotherhood going on that prohibits someone from speaking about their true experiences and being branded a bad actor? breaks of any kind don't inspire confidence and kung fool does not consider it good of a manufacturer to send new back ends - its the stinking warranty obligation not goodness that causes this behavior! As for going down anything - you US riders weaned on "dangerous" fireroads should come experience what "anything" really looks like by heading north. We'll see how your playthings stand up to actual riding. This bike is smooth and comfortable, but having seen actual breaks results in a lack of confidence. As a signal to the manufacturer not to get too haughty, I'll condescend to give 3 chillis.
kung fool has spoken.

Similar Products Used: RM 6, Kona Stinky, Cove G-Spot, Tambochi Molotov Cocktail
Karl   [Nov 06, 2001]
Strength:

Quick and nimble yet solid and sure footed while descending,
good climber and reasonablly light weight. Ver stiff frame lifetime warranty , low maintenance rear suspension, high BB for clearence over obstacles, low stand over height.

No real color choices, frame sizes are alittle on the small size but can be rectified by adjusting seat post type and stem legnth etc.

I have been riding this bike for about 4 months now and it is great, especially for someone who wants an xc/freeride all around performer, there are bikes that better in in some areas but none that I am aware of at this price that are as versitile. Insipres confidence.
Very nice ride, quick and nimble , good climber and great at speed going downhill. 26 to 28 lbs in weight depending on which tire/wheelset I use.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000, 6500, Specialised and others
Anne   Weekend Warrior [Sep 02, 2001]
Strength:

Fully active, sooo little bob

NO Red ANNO

100% satisfied with purchase, would not change a thing.

Similar Products Used: various
AARON   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2001]
Strength:

THIS BIKE HAS EVERYTHING YOU ARE LOOKING FOR.. STRONG, PERFORMANCE, GREAT CS, FAST, PLUSH, ANYMORE SUGGESTIONS..

WEAKNESSES DOES NOT EXIST HERE..

I HAVE BEEN BEATING THIS BIKE FOR QUITE SOMETIME NOW AND IT'S STILL IN ONE PIECE. I DID NOT MAKE MISTAKE BUYING IT. IT COST ME A TON OF MONEY ESPECIALLY IF YOU'RE A TEENAGER. UNTIL I'M ALIVE, I WILL USE THIS BIKE. THE BEST OF THE BEST.

Similar Products Used: CANNONDALE
Woody   Weekend Warrior [Aug 11, 2001]
Strength:

Bombproof! No flex. American made. Lifetime waranty.

Stickers! Would it cost so much more to put real stickers on the frame and clearcoat over them like everyone else? The ones that come on the bike suck.

This is a follow-up review. I have been on this bike for over seven months. I have had it on almost every type trail in SOCAL, doing things ranging from 30+ mile XC jaunts to Big Bear downhills. In the riding department, it continues to perform admirably. Nothing has broken. I am a 210 lb. motocrosser. I tend to ride through or over obstacles, instead of avoiding them. The Isis climbs very well. Downhill...YeeHaw! The bike is so stiff it reminds me of my Yz400F Yamaha. It eats the rough stuff. Confidence inspiring. The place the bike really shines is on fast twisty downhill trails. It holds the line and sticks in the corners. A slalom monster!

Stickers aside, I love it!

Similar Products Used: Tried almost everything.
Kelly Mans   Weekend Warrior [Jul 25, 2001]
Strength:

Do everything bike, great climber, fully active

Not so cool looks - ala Truth

Can't be happier - bike rides just like everyone said. It came perfectly setup from airbomb in 11days from order date. I wish I spend $100 more and got the anno frame as the paint is already rubbing under cables