Mongoose 2001 Solution BMX Bike

badger   Downhiller [Jul 01, 2010]
Strength:

excellent shocks, great brakes,

the distance from the seat and the handle bars are too close together and i'm having problems with the sprocket changing gears

overall this is a great bike i just might have to get used to it

Similar Products Used: i've used a fischer and could control it a lot easier as far as the jumps go
Will   [Feb 23, 2004]
Strength:

Nice forks, the drivetrain is alright, the weight isn't too bad (30 pounds)

the rear shock has horrible seals, the rims are cheap and weak, and the cranks are kindof pathetic

The frame is nice and strong. It's heat treated aluminum. I've taken the bike off a 4 foot jump and it performed wonderfully, aside from a tiny bend in the rims. The rims warped more when i was doing wheelies, but that was my bad because i forgot to put the pressure back up after a snow ride, so i was doing wheelies and endos on 15 psi. The rear shock was dissapointing, the seals started leaking and the whole shock would squeak, not to mention that for some odd reason it was only using a 5.5" eye to eye shock when the frame is designed for a 6.5" eye to eye shock. The frame is absolutely wonderful, aside from the lack of disc mounts (thus the adapter). The welds are very neat and strong. I do a little bit of everything, ive done a little bit of free ride on this bike, a couple drops, and some aggresive XC riding. i'm in the middle of turning this bike into a freeride/downhill bike. The seat might as well be a brick, it sure is as hard as one. Overall, i'm very satisfied. I got the bike for under 200 for closeout, coupons, and promotions. Plus all the upgrades were listed on ebay and i got them REAL cheap. With a bit of tweaking, i'd say this bike is suitable for freeride and maybe even downhill.

Similar Products Used: Hardrock, Mongoose G1 G2 and G3, various other mongooses including the wing comp
Ben   Downhiller [Sep 28, 2005]
Strength:

This is a strong bike. Im a downhiller who doesnt get much thrill down in Georgia. I make ramps instead and i have dropped around 6-8 feet on this bike and it held up very well. Having seen and ridin real downhill bikes in California I have found that the frame is alot like a downhill rig. It can be easily upgraded to a downhill rig. Im getting some new rock shox race shocks. I am also putting a new stem, seat (the seat it comes with is skinny and narrow and all metal), tires, disc brakes, and hubs. I love this bike. Georgia has some of the best XC trails and I have ridden on them and my bike has held up pretty well.

The rear suspension isnt that great. I am looking to replace it with a newer rear suspension from Ebay. The rims are pretty weak too. I suggest getting a michellin Hot S 2.2 tire for the back so it will protect the rim. The front should be OK

This is easily one of the best deals i have ever seen. It doesnt take much effort or cost tot urn this bike into a downhill rig. It is good for all of your needs though Sports Authority doesnt sell it anymore

Similar Products Used: Giant AC and other bikes in this price range
Tom   Cross Country Rider [Jun 20, 2005]
Strength:

Half the price of similarly outfitted bikes.

Needs a longer seatpost if greater than 5'9" or so.

This was bought on-line and assembled by me...correctly. The rims didn't need straightening. And they still don't. I don't quite get the bent rim problems people report. This bike has been punished somewhat. It was bought for a big 12 year old who is now a 5'10" 155lb 13 year old. I (6ft- 210 lb)have even put a long seatpost on it for myself and rode it on a rocky, muddy crosscountry trail without a problem.
This is NOT to be ridden in ANY rough condition according to the manual that I recieved, contrary to what was reported in the past by other owners. This is a fine bike to wet the appetite of a novice. It's not a sophisticated full suspension bike nor is it supposed to be. You don't get sophistcated FSR for even $400-$500. You want the next step beyond this nice novice bike, go to the $1100-$1200 range of Specialized, GT, Giant, Trek. Have fun.

Similar Products Used: None
Sleddog   [Dec 27, 2002]
Strength:

Quality Parts, great price!

Stock rims are cheap, frame is heavy, dept. store employees can't assemble properly.

My wife and I bought these as our "starter bikes", to see if we wanted to get in to mountain biking. After a year of riding these puppies hard, we have even talked about picking up 2 more! We ride them hard, and haven't had any problems, other than two:
1. The standard rims are weak and quickly bent. These were replaced by the LBS.
2. I paid the LBS to take them apart and reassemble the bikes, as Dept. Store employees had done a bad job.

For the money, I cannot say enough great things about this bike. It has opened up a world for us that we would not have been able to afford to get in to normally, and the quality of these bikes is impeccable!

Dan   Racer [May 22, 2006]
Strength:

looks cool

Rims will eventually bend out of shape if you ride it hard. One of my axles also bent. The rear shifter will go out of sink.

It is probubly a decent bike for light recreation but I road it hard through rough trails and it only last me a year. Not for someone who wants a serious mountain bike that will last.

Chris   Weekend Warrior [Apr 20, 2008]
Strength:

Nice looking bike. Great brakes. It has taken some abuse through some rough trails and came back for more! Knobby tires grab well.

I have replaced both rims as they bend very easy! The xrims I have on now hold up much better.

A great bike for the price. Excellent entry level MTB

jordan   Downhiller [Aug 10, 2004]
Strength:

the frame is super light- full aluminum alloy. the judy tt stock shocks in the front are awsome travel.. ( went off a 41/2 foot drop off and both sus. (front and rear) worked wonderful)

the stock rims are ok. saw a tiny bit bend going off ride downs and drop off.. not to much to affect the braking and performance of the solution

this is an exxcelent bike for any type of " mountaining" downhill, trail riding, racing, literally anything. the msrp of the solution was 450. i got it at sports authority for 200 bucks! WHAT A DEAL! this is an excellent bike- no exceptions.

Chuck   Weekend Warrior [Jun 29, 2002]
Strength:

Looks Good

Bent rear wheel rim on the first day made the bike unridable

My 15-1/2 year old son (160+ lbs) wanted a full suspension bike. In June, 2002, After looking at some much more expensive options at several local bike shops, we thought the 26" twenty-four speed Mongoose Solution priced $499, marked down to $249 at Sports Authority, which looked like a great deal. The first day it was ridden on the street, my son noticed the rear wheel rim out of true, rubbing on the brakes. Sports Authority exchanged the bike without any questions. The second day, with the exchanged bike, he did a few stunts including some wheelies and bunny hops when the back wheel turned into a pretzel on the first hard landing. The owner's manual says the bike is suitable for downhill mountain racing. I think not. After a little research on the web, I saw a recommendation that said if you aren't willing to spend at least $750 for a full suspension bike, you should stick with a hard tail due to poor quality components used on the low end full suspension bikes.

I have no issue with Sports Authority, as they stood behind the product providing a refund, but I don't think the design or materials used on this bike are suitable for serious off road use. Don't buy it unless -
You are a very light weight person
You like to spend your time striaghtening bent wheels
You want it for looks rather than performance.