Kona Cowan BMX Bike

• Pedals: Kona Jackshit
  • Freewheel: Shimano HG 50 11-32 9 speed
  • F/D: Cowan/Jackshit Chainguide
  • R/D: Shimano Deore LX
  • Shifters: Shimano Deore (right side only)
  • Handlebar: TruVativ Hussefelt OS Riser
  • Stem: TruVativ Hussefelt OS
  • Grips: Cowan Signature
  • Brakes: Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC
  • Brake Levers: Hayes Hydraulic HFX-9 XC

• User Reviews (9)

makarewicz   Weekend Warrior [Jul 30, 2008]
    Strength:

the geometry of the frame.
    somewhat easy to throw around

i dont like ANY of the stock parts

i guess the bikes alright, the only thing i have stock is the frame right now...

Similar Products Used: kona scrap. 04
    paublo jungles   Weekend Warrior [Aug 15, 2007]
    Strength:

THERE ARE NONE!!!!!!!!!

First jump the THE TIRE POPPED!

THIS BIKE SUCKS!

Similar Products Used: trick bikes mostly all i use
    Chuck Kane   Weekend Warrior [Feb 11, 2007]
    Strength:

Frame is incredibly strong. I can't imagine being able to break it.

The rotors were a little warped so there is a slight rubbing or wobble when the brakes are applied.

I ride pretty much in the city. There is a street park not too far from where I live so I have been there a few times and I have also been down to some loading docks. I have hot a couple of drops with the largest being about 6 or 7 feet. I think I will break before the bike ever does.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Street series and KHS DJ Series
    Rob Allerston   [Jun 27, 2007]
    Strength:

Sweet geometry, Hayes brakes, looks great in Orange!

Kona front hub, Truvativ BB, machine built wheelset, aluminium frame for DJ

· This was my first DJ bike. I've used it to go from small tables, to doubles that you can comfortably backflip, therefore this bike has great sentimental value. However, would I recommend that you buy one - probably not. If you're spending this kind of money, I'd recommend building a bike to your specific requirements to overcome the componentry shortcomings.

· The front hub was made by Kona. The width of the spoke flanges meant that the spokes rubbed on the brake calliper. Not good. It helped by using a disc spacer to move the disc, therefore calliper away from the spokes. The clearance was still tight so I ended-up changing the front hub.
    · I’m guessing that the wheelset is machine made as the spoke tensions were all over the place. I buckled both rims before I realised this and tensioned them correctly. I could never keep them straight, so eventually built a new wheelset.
    · Truvativ bottom brackets are rubbish. The original one lasted 8months. I bought another Truvativ BB(to fit the crankset) and it lasted only a couple of months. Ended-up with a Saint crankset. Seems pretty good so far.
    · And the big one – I was coming-up short on high double, so I ditched. The bike and I landed separately but I cracked my shin on the toptube and dinted it! A bruised skin and dinted frame! That’s what you get by using oversize aluminium THIN WALL tubing to make Dirt Jump frames. They look good and can be lighter than steel but they can’t take the bumps and knocks. I’m about to buy a steel DJ frame. It’s a trade off, next time I’ll have a bigger bruise but I won’t be throwing away a £500 frame. Aluminium is fine if you expect to never (or rarely) crash. In DJ, crashing is inevitable. Even when you’re really good, you may crash rarely but when you do, it will be a big one! Buy a steel frame.

Similar Products Used: Kona Coiler Dee-lux, Giant ATX
    jake   [Dec 13, 2006]
    Strength:

It is light, real good forks, nice handlebar bend, good for the money,basicly everything is good

Not the best dirt jumping around frame not the best

It is a good bike its like good forks and other components are good quality. Good for the money. Not the best frame not rigid enough(maybe its not aggreaaive enough but I don't know how geometry work).the frame doesn't seem to have a low center of gravity ethier. My specialized p.3 is 4 pounds lighter than my friends stuff so I don't really know how much lighter if the cowan is than the stuff. the stuffs frame size is medium and I don't know the size f my p3 but its pretty much the same as the stuff.
    Good bike but I don't really like the frame as much as some other companies like sanacruz and specailized for dirt jumpers.

Similar Products Used: P.3, santa cruz jackel, cannondale chase 1, trek jack 3
    fishbowl team   Weekend Warrior [Mar 13, 2007]
    Strength:

This great bike has everything,has a good frame 90% of the parts are top of the line. Comes with one of the best hydrolic disc brakes you can get. perfect for someone that is keen to get out there and go hard. will stand 6ft jumps. trust me. good shocks. probley the the best bike you can get for what you pay for it. all the parts are reliable

hard to say. maybe the gears. but not really.

a very good buy. will take anything you through at it. durable. very good components. good bike made by a great company. good frame design. if you were to buy you wouls not bedissapointed. it is the best rigid frame kona makes.!!!!!!!!!!!!!