Kona 2001 Kuku BMX Bike

Jay Smith   [Sep 05, 2001]
Strength:

The bike has a good beefy frame.

The frame could include 990 mounts instead of v-brake mounts and would be nice if it had 14mm dropouts. The components that Kona put on the bike basically suck. The one piece crank I bent the first week I had it, the bars are way to wide, the pedals are horrible, and I bent the single wall Ditch Witch rims in 3months of riding dirt!

Buy something better!! If you can buy the frame only...do it, but don't buy this bike stock from a bike shop or from Kona themselves....you will end up spending a ton of money replacing the junk parts they put on it.

Similar Products Used: k2 Gambler Frame, and now have Standard STA500
Kona rider   [Aug 19, 2001]
Strength:

Awesome geometry, easy manuals, beefy frame, great wheelset(Ditch Witch rims, Kona Bulge hubs, Holy Rollers),beefy dropouts, not too heavy (30lbs)

For the price, 3 piece cranks would be good. Bars are 28" long!

I needed a solid dirtjumping bike and the Kona Kuku fit the bill. Feels awesome for my height(5'10") and feels just as good riding park/street as it does on the trails. The bike has taken some abuse and keeps on ticking. Kona's new to BMX and I hope they stay. I highly recommend this bike but it is hard to find.

Similar Products Used: Haro Shredder
Kona rider   [Aug 19, 2001]
Strength:

For the price, 3 piece cranks would be good. Bars are 28" long!

Similar Products Used: Haro Shredder
jam stanton   Weekend Warrior [Dec 14, 2002]
Strength:

really strong frame,good hubs

weak brake system

in general it is a nice tough bike for all the drops and jumps i handle and it is also very nice and smooth for trails