Diamondback 2000 Assault 24 BMX Bike

Diamondback 2000 Assault 24 BMX Bike

BMX cruiser

[Feb 07, 2011]
8w3d3n

Strength:

Strength and Durability
Gear System and Gear Strength

Go Out and have Your Nails with Her, She'll Still Bang Straight Dead Center

1995 Robinson GT BMX

[Feb 26, 2002]
Bounced

Strength:

Nice handling and relatively light weight for minimal dollars.

Poorly built wheels, lots of steel that isn't chromo, weak bottom bracket shell.

This is a follow-up from my previous review of the 1999 chromo frame Assault, turned out it was a year old when I bought it new. After one season the bike was pretty much shot. The original problem with the rims buckling was due to spokes with badly rolled threads, about half the nipples were stripped on both wheels. That meant replacing the spokes and rims. Not long after that I discovered both axles were bent as well, no big surprise as they weren't chromo. Tossed the wheels and got a new set.

About mid-way through the season the cranks got noisy. Turned out the crank axle had developed a slight bend and the bottom bracket shell was elongated. For whatever reason, Diamondback didn't have a replacement axle. A machine shop had no problem straightening it because turns out is wasn't chromoly either. Found a bike shop that worked on frames and could handle beating the BB shell back into shape. I was back in action and managed to finish the season.

Considering I am only 170 lbs this is nuts. I rode a Specialized Vegas TRX through last year and never bent one single part... I don't recommend this bike to anyone who is racing or riding trails. No change in the original rating, Diamondback did not do this one right.

[Sep 08, 2001]
Dave Goodin

Strength:

Heavy duty frame and forks. Stable bars with good stock grips and reallygood braking system. Excellent bike for the money.

Rear hub keeps loosening up, but this could be due to the fact I'm 6'2" and about 250. Crank bolt seems to work a little bit loose after a day of racing or practice. Seat is REALLY uncomfortable.

This is my first racing bike in the last 20 years. It seems to be the most heavy duty of the three cruisers I looked at ( the other 2 being a GT Pro series, and a Haro 2.0, both aluminum). I wanted a cromolly frame/fork because of my size, and take the weight difference into account for that reason. The bike handles extremely well. The 48 spoke rims and chain tensioners keep the rims solid, and a little locktite on the rear axle seems to have cured the rear hub problem. Definately a good all around bike for the "BMX Dad" who is on the bigger side of 200 pounds, and a great bang for the buck.

[Sep 26, 2001]
joe

Strength:

This is an update review. Bike has remained solid and reliable. Jumps extremely well. Is a good alternative for the single speed mtb purist who wants something different for freeriding. All comments from my review last month still apply.

I have really had to spend some time keeping up with the spoke tightness and truing, but that may partly be my riding style- lots of jumping, rough downhill mtb trails at high speed, etc. Front fork had the wheel slightly cambered- I simply took a few thousandths off one of the wheel retention washer/spacers, and that straightened it out.

Now that I have the new tires it is the ultimate indestructible and freight train stable jumping and single speed freeriding machine. The gyroscopic effect of the larger, heavier tires (especially the front 2.60) makes it ultra stable at speed and in the air. The ride is now much cushier with the increased tire size.

I will order Skyway Tuffwheels soon, from danscomp, to complete the heavy duty tire/wheel theme. Folks knock the mags, but I still have my 1979 Schwinn Mag Scrambler- can't hurt those wheels! I will get a 20t freewheel to enhance freeriding capabilities.

[Mar 18, 2001]
Geof

Strength:

Quality cro-mo frame and fork, nice stem, solid feeling v-brake, sweet 3 piece cro-mo cranks, cool metallic green paint job and smooth Tioga Comp III-rip off tires.

Handlebar starting flaking chrome finish IN the shop, right on the showroom floor. Crank loosens slightly on a consistent basis. Bike should come with chain tensioners; I am re-setting my wheel on a near daily basis or after two rides at least. The seat sucks.

This is my first bmx bike since I was about 10 years old, as I am 26 years old, 6'3" and 190 lbs, so I have stayed away from small bikes due to my size. I have been riding and jumping mountain bikes for a long time but wanted to start racing the local cruiser class this summer. I found this bike for $315 CDN when it was just under $600 CDN last season. A great deal.

The bike has only been around the race track less than a dozen times, but it flows well and pulls up easily for manuals through the rollers. It is a solid jumper and smooth through the turns. The Comp III tires grip like nobody's business, be it on concrete, asphalt, firm dirt, soft sand or even light mud.

I guess I have to go buy some chain tensioners soon, becuase if I case a tabletop on the track, the rear wheel slides forward ever so much and the chain gets loose. I can only tighten down that rear axle nut so much!

The bike is overall a fine value, and I am impressed by the geometry as well as the parts pick. Pretty amazing frame, fork, cranks and components for so cheap. The seat has already ripped after a few minor bails, and the rims aren't the best, but they'll do until I have to replace them.

Free Agent Speedway 24, Free Agent Ambush 24

[Mar 13, 2001]
Josh pena

Strength:

Great cranks,Light body, strong body,seat, Great Brakes.

Cranks get loose every once in a while, grips,pedals, rims.

This bike is good but could be great with a few minor adjustments. Not good for doing 180's.Reasonable price.Alot of thrust. Pretty fast.Not for people who like to sit alot while they ride.I think it is a good buy.

[Jun 12, 2000]
Bounced

Strength:

Handles Great, Frame is Clean, Low Dollar - Big Bang (maybe not!)

Rims are garbage, seat could be better

Couldn't believe how good the bike was until the first time I got a little out of shape. BOTH rims buckled, locked the tires as soon as they touched ground again. Result: endo of the week. The bike doesn't look like such a great value now, after a I replaced the rims, spokes and my helmet. Does anyone at Diamondback actually race the bikes they make??? Obviously not this one.

If you buy the bike, change the rims before it leaves the shop! No doubt where I stand on this one...

[Jun 09, 2000]
Chris L.

Strength:

Great Price. Cro Mo Frame. Tektro V Brakes. 3 Piece Cranks. Excellent Value!!!

Stock Grips. Stock Rims?

This bike is sweet! I just started BMXing in January on a 20" Schwinn and really like the 24" bike. So far I have had no complaints about this bike. An exceptional cruiser bike for under $250.

Nirve Cruiser, Schwinn Predator Pro

[May 07, 2000]
Ian

Strength:

Killer geometry, 3-pc. cranks, great value, strong V-brakes w/ good lever, good hubs.

Crummy rims (weak), squirelly grips, crummy bottom bracket (get a good sealed one), kevlar seat would be nice.

Killer Value, and with minor upgrades, a perfect Cro-Mo racer.

Redline Purse Cruiser; Torker Cruiser; Free Agent Eluder, Ambush, and Limo Cruisers; Gt Speed and Power Series Cruisers; Mongoose Menace and SGX Cruisers; Powerlite cruiser; Specialized Hemi Team Cruiser.

[Aug 15, 2001]
joe

Strength:

Performs as advertised "In the past, cruisers couldn't handle the abuse of serious dirt jumping, but that's all changed. The new Diamondback Assault T24 combines the stability and size taller riders need with the durability trail riders demand. With a strong CRMO frame, 24" Alex 48-spoked wheels, DB chromoly bars, and ATI Pistol grips, this is the perfect bike for taller riders looking to shred at the trails, and it's still light enough to dominate at the track." Diamondback's claims are accurate. Also performs as well as bmxtreme.com said it did in their recent online cruiser review: "Like we said in our introduction, this is a cruiser review, not a shootout; however, if we had to pick an overall "winner," our almost-unanimous vote goes to the Diamondback Assault T24 cruiser. What makes this an especially remarkable choice is the fact that the Diamondback is the least expensive bike we tested, retailing for about $249". They also said "The T24 felt surprisingly solid, and comfortable too. Everything was jiving. We did some sprints in the street, and although she felt great, acceleration was a bit slow. But the T24 isn't a full-on race machine; rather, it caters to both racers and trails enthusiasts. This bike is very comfortable on the dirt. Not only does she handle great, but it's really fun to ride!" The extra $20 for my 2001 mid year model netted me factory chain tensioners, and a frame with no sign of the minor weld problem found by bmxtreme.com. In fact, the frame looks great, especially after I ripped off all the garish red and white stickers and applied a few coats of wax.

Machine laced wheels had some spokes markedly looser than others. I spent a good 20 minutes or so per wheel evening out spoke tension and retrueing before I was confident enough to hit some good jumps. I think this may be the root of some of the earlier posted wheel problems. Now that the spokes are properly and uniformly tensioned, (see bmxbasics.org wheel tips) the wheels feel bulletproof- time will tell. Grips were pitifully loose, used spray adhesive after mounting the new brake lever, problem fixed.

Has been great in the short time I have had it. Awesome frame for the $, strong gusseting at top and down tube, rides very tight, beefy forks and rear triangle, only weighs 28.5 lbs with my setup, good tires, super strong crmo bars, very quick even with one piece crank, good pedals, flys well, handles out of shape landings without drama, I am very impressed. OF course, I have been out of bmx bikes for 2 decades, and have not ridden any other modern bmx bikes, but based on the bmxtreme review and my experience with high end hardtail mtn bikes, this one is a winner, especially for the price! The bike fits me well- I am 6'1", 170 lbs. It feels plenty roomy, still flickable in the air without being squirrelly.

Only mtn bikes- no bmx experience for almost 20 years.