Yeti Cycles AS-R 575 Pro All Mountain Full Suspension

Yeti Cycles AS-R 575 Pro All Mountain Full Suspension

Features: Yeti 575 Pro Complete Bike -Frame: Yeti 575 7005 Alloy -Rear Shock: Fox CTD -Fork: Fox 34 150 CTD ADJ 15mm Tapered -Front Brake: Shimano XTR -Rear Brake: Shimano XTR -Shifters: Shimano XTR -Crankset: Shimano XTR (26-38) -Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR -Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR -Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR -Cassette: Shimano XTR -Chain: Shimano XTR -Wheelset: DT Swiss X1700 Tricon -Front Tire: Maxxis -Pedals: Not included -Headset: Cane Creek -Stem: Thomson 4X -Handlebar: Easton Haven Carbon -Grips: Yeti Lock-on -Seatpost: Thomson Elite -Saddle: WTB -*Parts spec subject to change without notice.*

[Apr 06, 2013]
Dave
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Climbs great, descends great. 26.25 lbs w/ nearly 6" of travel!

Rear can flex (I have the carbon rear triangle). I flip the pro-pedal on when climbing and off to descend. (not really a weakness, but the bike would "bob" too much while climbing without having it on for my taste.)

This has been a great bike, so it's about time I show some love with a quality review! I bought this new with the full XTR build in the spring of 2008. I ride 2-3 days a week and now have over 4,000 miles as I look forward to my sixth season on this setup. I have done a handful of 50 mi. races and usually do a Moab and Fruita trip every year. I still look forward to riding this bike, but it is starting to get a bit tired as I have all of the original components except for the seat (torn apart from a crash), and the rear derailleur (internal failure). Rear brake leaks and has to be topped up occasionally. I have serviced it regularly and would love to get another season or two out of it, but I have gotten my money's worth for sure.

Tried various full suspension and hard-tail 29er's before buying.

[Mar 30, 2009]
the corn dog

Strength:

I really love the way the bike goes up and down hills. With the propedal on the bike doesn't bob at all. Going down hill the bike is very confidence inspiring. It has a great smooth ride. You can climb up steep hills without the bike wandering very much. It has great clearance when going through rock gardens too.

With the bike having a high bottom bracket it seems a bit tipy. You can pedal through anything but at slow speeds through technical stuff it seems a bit wobbly.

I have really enjoyed this bike but the fox fork, when you got to lock or unlock it, it changes the settings on it. That can be really annoying. The Avid juicy sevens howl really bad and make the frame vibrate, that is also very annoying. The fox rp23 has been really great. The avid juicy sevens have been a huge dissapointment. I have tried everything I can to get them to stop howling. EVERYTHING!!
The sram x9 has been pretty good, xo is much better, I've had both.
So, if your looking for a all day do it all bike, this bike will not let you down..... just get the right components!!

Specialized Epic, Stumpjumper Pro, Yeti ASR.

[Sep 04, 2007]
Erik Bedell

Strength:

This bike is a blast. It climbs great, it descends even better. It's super light for a 5.75 bike. I feel I can climb technical sections better and can descend faster.

Slight bob. I contribute this more to the shock which is a RP3. I demo'd a 2007 with a rp23 and it definetely had less BOB in the hardest propedal option.

Best bike money can buy. Really. If you can buy one now. Plus you get the added customer service of Yeti.

Trek Fuel, Gary Fisher Sugar

[Aug 11, 2007]
Captn Chain Smack

Strength:

This is a very interesting bike. It shines on steeep technical uphill and down hill of any kind. This is my second Yeti so I know what I'm comparing. So much bike for the money. Light bike for full freeride setup.

My bike is 31.1 lbs w/ the complete freeride set up and is sluggish on the long uphills.

The bottom line is that you point and shoot. Carry more speed downhill to clear objects that you normally have to ride around and now you have the suspension to take it. I thought that riding a bike that was 5-6 lbs more than my last bike I wouldn't be able to climb tech. WRONG! Just find your groove and the suspension hooks up. I climb tech better now. No joke. My bike is heavier so it is sluggish on the long climbs but if you had a xc kit, watch out. This is worth 5 chilis.

Yeti Koko, Blur LT

[Feb 06, 2007]
Lightdr

Strength:

Geometry, components, handling, ride

Weight

First and foremost, for 2007 the 575 now has 6" of travel. And their build kits are slightly different than the MTBR classifications. Mine is the Enduro Pro, and weighs in at around 28lbs with speedometer, 2.35" tires and Enduro grips.

Depending on your riding style, you'd be hard pressed to beat this bike for the money. I was concerned about the weight and climbing, but it climbs like a monster. I can actually clean technical stuff that I couldn't clean on my much-lighter NRS-1. On technical downhill stuff the bike is very sure-footed, challenging me to find ever harder stuff to try. That said, I must admit that it took me 4 or 5 rides to get used to the weight and the rolling resistance of the Maxxis Minion DH 2.35 tires. (I'd been riding 2.1 tires for years) But now with 300 miles on it in 2 months, I don't notice the weight anymore.

A word on Pro-Pedal; it actually works, but you have to dial your suspension in correctly. I first thought it was pretty lame, but then I did about 6 rides and got my suspension really dialed in. Once that was setup, the Pro-Pedal worked like a champ. I use it on every hill climb, and find it greatly increases my efficiency. Unlike a lockout, the suspension stays active on the big stuff, but eliminates bob on climbs and flat stuff. I did some 3' drops with Pro-Pedal turned on (by accident) and the suspension was still active and performed well. Although I don't intend to do it again, I was pretty impressed.

I love this bike and ride it at least 4 days a week. It's the perfect mount for southern California hill climbs and rock gardens, and it's great in our infamous "babyhead".

Buy this bike if: you're not a weight weenie, you want to ride more technical downhill and drops, you want to climb and clean the technical uphill stuff or want to experience 6" of travel.

Don't buy this bike if: weight is your riding criteria, you aspire to be a downhill rider, you want to be a cross country racer or don't need 6" of suspension.

Turner 5-Spot, Yeti ASR, Giant NRS-1

[Jun 16, 2007]
Sean

Strength:

Yeti 'soul', rideability, suspension efficiency. Feeling of 'acceleration'.

None found yet.

This is the last bike I will ever buy. I'm (just) over 40 and I could see me replacing forks, shock etc over the next few years but the frame will stay (barring accident, theft etc!). I loved my old GT LTS, I had the original 1995 model and it felt like part of me. I stupidly sold it. I have been searching ever since for my 2 wheeled soulmate! I have found it in the Yeti 575. Yeti have to thank Fox Shocks for making this bike 100% perfect. The RP23 is amazing. I have it set for full on or full off. In full on I get no bob on flats or uphill. In full off I get the feeling that I'm cocooned in a world of plushness. If you're my age and want a bike to hammer without feeling hammered - buy one now! Someone asked me if my bike were a car, what would it be - Porsche Cayenne perhaps? NO - a Bowler Wildcat!!

GT LTS 1995, Specialized FSR XC 2000.

[Apr 12, 2007]
Shannon
Downhiller

Strength:

Yeti reputation. The new shocks made a big improvement, no bobing and still very plush.

3 years of hard abuse, countless drops still going strong. I broke the dogbone, Yeti sent a beefier one. I broke the chainstays, Yeti replaced. The original 5th Element wore out, Yeti sold me a correctly valved RP3 and tool to replace. Yeti has exellent maintenace instructions on the
website. Yeti rocks!

Racer-X, Nomad

[Mar 18, 2007]
Graham Mitchell

Strength:

Light weight, long suspension, geometry, build quality and design.

None as yet.

Chris Jones at Riders Choice Cycles (Perth's premiere bike shop) helped select components for and built up my stunning 575 (Large/20.5 inch frame). An intelligent blend of light yet strong parts, for allround trail riding, has produced a 27.5 pound 'Uber-cycle'. Finished in 'Raw' with black components and enough bling to satisfy Cedric Gracia, the Yeti is a 'dream' bike.
And it rides every bit as good as it looks. Propedal and Talas are simply fantastic - I cannot sense any difference in the forks action from my beloved Vanilla. Stand-over is unrivalled for a trail bike with so much travel and the frame design is beautiful and functional. She corners like a Japanese Bullit Train and stops like the Road Runner. Single Track and fast choppy fire roads are her natural habitat and I only wish I had the skill and confidence to wring the most from this poised machine. That said this bike will forgive my bad riding and have me hollering and yelling down Mount Gungin.

Marin Mount Vision (8 years), Scott Genius (tested).

[Jun 24, 2006]
Kevin Witherstine

Strength:

rides lighter than it is, climbs better than my old hardtail, 6" of full suspension soaks up most of the chatter. Easy to work on. Warranty support, full 5 years!

had to replace the frame after about 6 months. there was a cracked weld on the bottom bracket. Yeti didn't blink twice on the warranty, the Yeti reps were in town for a race and called in for a replacement immediatly.
I'm not a big fan of how the rear D. cables have to be run. Also didn't like the XTR drive train components that came with the bike. The rear D would ALWAYS need adjusting. Between the Shimano components being touchy, my hard riding style and the cable routing the combination just wasn't working. Switched to Sram, everything rocks now.

Watch the bolts on the linkage, they do loosen up.

this rig is awesome! The first time I test rode it I just fell in love with it. Then took it out to my local singletrack and trimmed 10 minutes off of my lap time first time out.

liked this so much, I went out and bought a Yeti AS-r carbon.

[Jun 05, 2006]
Joe

Strength:

Great geometry for trail riding. Build quality. Long travel without feeling sluggish.

None yet.

Kudos to the folks at wrenchscience for the great custom build. Wheels from oddsandendos, Mike Garcia.

I'm coming off a 24.5 pound modified Sugar 2. 53 yrs old, 5'9" and 155 lbs.

The wheelset is stupidly light....under 1500 grams...but after riding a bunch of downhills with ramped jumps, they appear to be plenty strong for my weight. I'm used to the SRAM twists, now, and love them. I'd describe them as digital, obvious and solid on the shifting. Different than the Shimano, which I would describe as more analog, smoother. The pedaling is very smooth, the ride is really plush. With almost 6" of rear and 130mm of front travel, that's no surprise. The RP-3 shock is very adjustable and the propedal seems to make a huge, but subtle difference. I know that sounds as though it's a contradiction, but it's the best description I can make. On minimum propedal, I have about 1/2 inch of sag, and there is noticeable bobbing on hard climbs. On maximum propedal, the sag is 1/4 inch and there is no noticeable bob. I'm still experimenting with sag, pressure, rebound, etc. My preference seems to be for maximum dampening on the rear rebound at this point, because I'm most interested in the performance while climbing on steep, rocky climbs where slower speed bump compliance is my main concern. It allows me to remain seated much more while climbing. Also, at the recommendation of wrenchscience, went with a shorter cockpit. The interesting thing being that, in spite of the shorter cockpit, I don't have to get as far forward for climbs or as far back for descents. I already have about 100 miles of trail riding and some major crashes on it, so far no problems. The Fox float RLC has so many adjustments that dialing it in will take time. But at this point, I'm using about 3/4 inch of sag with minimum compression damping and max rebound damping, for climbing, again. It has a poor man's inertial position. A Lockout with an adjustable blowoff feature, but I haven't used it. Even with low pressure, it doesn't seem to have noticeable brake jack. I'm doing steep, technical downhills that I used to lower my seat for, without lowering it now, and they seem much easier. High speed downhills, are much more comfortable. Steep smooth climbs are no easier on this bike, but steep rocky climbs are. I'm running 34-35 psi front and back on the tires with good results.

The closest I've tried would be a Santa Cruz Blur. I'd guess the Ibis Mojo would be similar.