Turner RFX All Mountain Full Suspension

Turner RFX All Mountain Full Suspension

Purpose: Rough XC and all-mountain riding

Overview: The Turner RFX has been completely redesigned for 2007. The challenge was to maintain the RFX’s dominance among super-strong great-pedaling ubër XC/all-mountain machines while shaving its weight by 1.5 pounds. We accomplished this feat by engineering a completely new rocker arm and rear triangle that works in perfect harmony with Fox’s Air shock. The result is a Turner frame that delivers 6.4 inches of rear wheel travel. Despite its amazing combination of long travel and lightness, the 2007 Turner RFX is no disposable trail bike. Thanks to its custom-shaped tubing and super–strong machined head tube, the 2007 RFX is built to deliver unparalleled pedaling efficiency, trail dominance and handling for years and years.

Features/Benefits:

• 7.2 pounds
  • 6.4” of rear wheel travel
  • Completely re-designed suspension with lowered ratio
  • Fox DHX Air 5.0
  • Revised geometry for perfect all mountain handling

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 04, 2012]
    Tony

Strength:

Great handling and plush suspension

After about 5 years of good hard riding the rocker arm broke. I contacted Turner and they said too bad. They do not stock the part. They recommended that I buy a new bike from them.

I have really enjoyed a lot of hard riding on this bike. I feel like I have it optimized for fun. With the broken rocker arm and no way of getting it fixed the bike becomes disposable. I thought I spent a lot of money for a good bike and good service. I have to recommend against buying a Turner.

[Jun 04, 2011]
    andykrow
    Downhiller

Strength:

Great build quality, not "too" heavy, AMAZING progressive suspension feel, greasable bushings

two VERY minor things thing I'm not ecstatic about. 1) the 27.2 seatpost. I would like to put a Kind adjustable post but this limits me to the gravity dropper. 2) there is some bob happening when climbing in the granny gear. Not too much of an issue for me - with the 66 and downhill wheels/tires climbing is just not going to be fun anyway.

Finally got my do everything bike. Up till this I was riding a Ndiza, but the 66 slacked it out a little too much for my tastes, and no front derailleur was starting to get old. So I picked up this 2006 RFX frame for a song, and the first ride blew me away. This has the best suspension feel of anything I've ever ridden, it truly feels bottomless. I can't wait to blow up the DHX so I can put a better shock on, but there's no rush - the DHX is killing it on this frame. Seems like after 06 the rfx's get a little lighter, but this is just the strength frame I like to ride. It's not full on DH, just freeride burly. Probably weighs 40 pounds the way I have it setup but I don't really worry about that. Not the best for climbing but no freeride bike is, and I only climb to get to a downhill anyway.

With the 66 the geometry is perfect for drops, I'd say around 67 degrees on the head angle. (stock is 68 with a 535 a2c) The first ride had me hitting drops with a new-found confidence, and just looking for bigger and bigger stuff to hit.

It would be hard for me to pay full price for a new Turner, but they're built so well I don't see any problem picking up a used one. Something about American built frames... they just look so well made compared to Asian stuff.

I plan on picking up a couple bushing kits in case they stop making them, and I'm sure I'll be riding this bike for the next ten years.

Brodie thumper, SC heckler, Morewood ndiza

[Jul 16, 2010]
    serhij

Strength:

tough, plush, superb quality and CS

THE bike, can do absolutely anything from trail riding to DH. Superior fun bike !

Santa Cruz Nomad, Santa Cruz Heckler, Santa Cruz VP-Free, Santa Cruz Bullit (I)

[Oct 22, 2009]
    surfhb

Strength:

Bushings, durability, stiffness, this bike rails corners, climbs great, descends even better. Really, pretty much everything

Stock bronze color is not my favorite, stickers fall off.

I love this bike. I don't ride my 5 spot any more because this bike does everything the spot does and more. Slap lighter wheelset and rp23 on it and do 40 mile xc rides. Put on heavier wheels/tires and coil front and rear and rock it! This bike is stiff and loves to rail turns. This bike also climbs surprisingly well, especially through chunk. This bike will not disappoint.

Specialized enduro, stumpjumper, 5 spot, titus el guapo, hardtails, nomad.

[Apr 23, 2009]
    cowens677

Strength:

build quality, the turner name and customer service, looks, climbing ability, and confidence inspiration.

This bike is a work of art and I love it. I owned a santa cruz heckler before the turner and it was fine, a great all aroung bike. The thinks I did not like about the heckler is I tended to loose rear wheel traction on techy stuff and I had problem with the front wheel coming up on me on steep climbs. With the turner I have not had these problems. I am able to climb the same stuff and have much better traction. I also have been hitting bigger jumps with ease, I love this bike!! Plus I got the frame for 1/2 off so that is a bonus.

santa cruz heckler

[Mar 11, 2009]
    Jose Sanchez
    Downhiller

Strength:

Climbs better than any XC bike I have ever ridden and desends better than any downhill bike I have ever ridden, except maybe the demo 8 ( have ridden a lot of them trust me).

A bit pricey!

This is the best bike I have ever ridden. The bike delivers what you want when you want it. If you are riding xc it rides like a carbon Rush & if you're into drops it can take a hit like a demo 8. But what most impressed me was its ability to climb with no slip nor did it wheelie out the front. If you've got the money spend it on the RFX...mine was expensive because of my setup. The frame was $1650.

Specialized pitch, Specialized big hit, Kona stinky, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, Gary Fisher Fat Possum, Specialized XC, Cannondale Rush.

[Jan 30, 2009]
    sunshynjunky

Strength:

The usual boring Turner stuff, Super strong, super stiff, bombproof, perfect finish, Blah blah blah

Um..? weakness? yeah right!

It rocks! I had a Six Pack before this RFX. Some jerk weed stole it. I got the new RFX in its place. I was a bit worried about losing the Horst link. The new Turner came. first I would like to say this thing is solid, solid, solid! There is no rear end flex. This thing is stiffer that most hard tails I have played with. I am a bike mechanic, I have played with a lot. For how light this thing is, it is ridiculously strong. The finish is perfect.
    I built it up and immediately took it to The mountains of Alabama to ride at the East coasts highest mtb park and OHV trail, Cheeaha State park.
    Trails on the MTB park were tight and technical, climbs were long and steep, lots of rocks, roots and obstacles on very tight trails. The OHV ( 22miles of deep woods motorcycle trails- in the mountains- most fun since MOAB!) trail was wide super fast with lot of jumps, rollers, banks, drops, long climbs, ruts, gullies,and mud. It was rough and fast. This thing tracks like a motorcycle. I was able to climb everything ( some stuff were were all walking after all we were the only ones on bikes. we heard a lot of "what y'all doon ahn dem pedal bahks").
    That Totem on the front is sick! As to the geometry and rear end. I am glad Turner is doing away with the horst link. It is all marketing. This TNT rear rides better IMO. the bike doesn't dip under heavy high speed braking, it is stiffer, the ride quality is identical, supple, no bobbing, takes huge hits in stride. Also the geometry in more "BMX'ish" My SixPack was a little sluggish. This RFX feels like a Arabian stallion ( Ive never ridden an Arabian but I'll bet its fun!) The bike is fast handling, yet stable.
    I was smoking my buddies down hill all weekend. With all the mud, clay dust, sand, gravel, Not a single squeak ( my buddies Special#$%@, eee er eee er click clack). I love my Turners
    What else can I say but thank you Turner!
    PS If you get one get a good lock!
    Also Buy the grease kit they sell. I used car grease the first time. Second time I used the Prep M Turner sells, it is noticeably superior grease.

Giants, Special@#@%, Turner

[Dec 12, 2008]
    TLL
    Downhiller

Strength:

Incredibility stiff. No flex in rear end. Tracks incredibly well and does a superb job holding the line in corners. Great for plowing through chunk or drops, or having more fun than is legal.

Stock RP23 not the best
    Not an XC bike

Simply the best bike I have ever owned. The TT fits me perfectly, after the first ride I felt like I had come home. This bike will handle anything except a super steep DH run (duh), but for that get a DHR. It handles super chunky terrain, drops, steeps, with few if any issues at all, other than you will be busting a smile so big you might miss a turn.

As I am a large rider, I swapped the RP23 for a CCDB and could not be happier. The CCDB and RFX are a match made in heaven, I suggest getting one and not looking back. I ride this bike everywhere, from China Camp to N* and it does not disappoint. It has helped me up my skills so I'll be looking at a DHR next.

None that compare

[Oct 24, 2008]
    phatyres

Strength:

It is a Turner so you know the bike is gonna perform!! I love that I can bomb this bike and it is just stout! It is fun to ride both down and surprisingly up! The RFX climbs very well for a 6.4" travel bike and mine weighs 33 lbs! Not that it is super heavy, but compared to my Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon there is a difference, but something I'm not willing to cry about since it handles so well in all the other categories of cornering, jumping and bombing!

None come to mind!

I originally purchased this bike as my fun bike. I now ride this bike for training and having fun at the same time! If you can wait for an 09 RFX go for it! I just happen to find a great deal and this is the only bike I ride now!! There are great deals on this frame everywhere right now! Get one and build it up, you won't be disappointed!!

Tested and demoed Nomad, 575, Mojo, Stumpjumper, and Enduro SL.

[Aug 23, 2008]
    tomsharo

Strength:

Quality, attention to detail, weight and durabiity

None, maybe price but you get what you pay for

This is the best bike I have ever owned and I do it all on the bike. I weighs in at 28.7 lbs a great weight for a 6.4" travel bike. Climbs very well but shines downhill and on technical rough single track. Makes this old coot look young. Turner rules and so does the Nordic heritage Center. Come ride our northern Maine trails for free and enjoy our fat tire festival sept 27-28.

Turner 5 spot, Ellsworth Epiphany,d rocky mtn flow fs, haro sonic, jamis xlt 3.0 and chumba xcl