Turner 2003 5 Spot All Mountain Full Suspension

-Chainstay = 16.8"
-Seat Angle = 73.5 deg
-Head Angle = 69.0 deg

Drew   [Jul 15, 2003]
Strength:

Nice ride with little negative feedback. The bike jumps when you tell it to and never misses a turn. The frame is absolutely impectible. The machining and welds match those of some of the best. The angles are supple but responsive. It has been a plesure to work with such a machine.

On a frame of such expense Laser Etching could have been used.

Eye Candy

Similar Products Used: Intense Trazer, Specialized Enduro Pro, Elsworth Truth, Santa Cruz Super light (I love working at a bike shop)
Turtleman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2003]
Strength:

Very nice balance, traction, and handling

little heavy for cross country weenies?

A very nice bike.
An excellent feel and balance. Easy to pop a wheelie and turns with great stability. Romic is plush and smooth. Climbs very well for 69 degree head angle and 5 inch travel. Turner has built a fantastic do it all bike.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose fairlane(good), Kona mano mano(very good), Cannondale Jackyl(ok), K2 Attack(pretty good), Klein palomino(good and bad), Specialized Enduro(very good)
Cookie   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2003]
Strength:

Climbing

I have ridden and raced the Tracer and the Turner XCE @ The Downiville Dh. Recently I rode the 5 spot at Dville, the bike was solid. In the rocky technical sections the 5 spot powered and flowed, handling all terrain excellent. The 5 spot exceeds the XCE in cimbing ability and crushes the tracer in all aspects.

Similar Products Used: XCE, Tracer
Kevin   [Jul 06, 2003]
Strength:

stiffness in rear end
suspension performance
romic shock
geometry
technical terrain handling
workmanship

stickers

After riding this bike for three days straight through varied terrain I am amazed by its performance. There is no "bob" while climbing, and the steep seat angle helps you keep the front end down. Descending it will negotiate drops and rocky chutes with ease.
When I was riding up a rocky service road on my first ride I noticed that despite the fact that the bike was not "bobbing", it was significantly plusher than my Float suspended Orange.
A lot of credit has to go to the Romic(plus a great suspension design from Turner)
Large chainring, small chainring it pedals equally well with no feedback.
The only negative things I can say about the frame is the stickers. They were beginning to peel when I received the frame, so I removed them.
Thanks to the previous reviewers for their feedback in this purchase.

Similar Products Used: Owned: Titus Loco Moto, Racer-X, Orange Sub-5
Tested: Giant VT1, Cannondale Jekyll
Larry   Cross Country Rider [Aug 26, 2003]
Strength:

Outstanding engineering and construction

None.

Stop for a minute and consider the function of a bicycle. Forget style, forget about having the latest high-zoot parts so that you can impress other riders. Think only about what a bicycle is supposed to do.

It's supposed to carry its rider swiftly, reliably, and comfortably as far as that rider wants. It should do this for years without extraordinary maintenance requirements or fussy and frequent adjustment. You should be able to get on, go, and come home without trouble or pain.

In beauty a full-suspension bike will never match a track bike or even a geared road bike. It lacks the elegance of those more attractive machines.

In function, however, the Turner 5-spot simply blows them away. My back doesn't hurt, my hands don't hurt, and I can maintain power or braking no matter what kind of surface I'm on. Uphill, downhill, pedalling hard or coasting the bike is simply transparent.

Modern accoutrements help. The XTR drivetrain is so easy to use I don't have to think about how to shift. No matter how great the load, I can simply shift when I need to. The Hayes brakes allow me to stop on any surface of any gradient, with complete control.

In short, this is what a bicycle should be. Yes, it's ridiculously expensive, but it shows the way to a future wherein riding a bicycle won't require self-punishment.

I'm extremely impressed. This bike is for anyone who can afford it, for any purpose. Put road tires on it and ride a century. Put knobbies on it and ride it anywhere.

Value is tough to judge. Is $1900 reasonable for a bicycle frame? Because there is no other frame like this who can say? There are other frames that cost as much, but they are neither engineered nor built as well, so to me it's worth it.

The unanswered question is: what bike would give 90% of the performance of this one, while being much less expensive? I don't know, but it's worth researching. I had the money, I bought it, and it's much better than I expected.
--Larry

Similar Products Used: None; my first FS bike
t   [Jul 01, 2003]
Strength:

Craftmanship says it all. Attention to detail and Turners customer service.

Weaknesses?

I have owned a Turner 02 and XCE and this by far is their best trail bike to date. I have also owned an Intense Tracer, Sugar 1 and various hard tails. The Five Spot does everything you want. It climbs well, descends flawlessly and is good looking to boot. Turner hit the nail on the head with this one. As close to perfection of an all around trail bike. Now only if they made single speeds!

Similar Products Used: Demo'ed Cannondales, Specialized, Intense, Trek, Santa Cruz and Klein.
Industry Guy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Attention to detail. No one builds a frame/bike that is better thouhgt out than David. Spot on performance for its intended use. A Turner executed 4-bar is still king.

None.

I've been associated with the cycling industry for 15 years so I have the opportunity to ride/own all the newest equipment. I have been extremely happy with my Blur. Then I got a chance to ride a friend's 5 Spot on a recent group ride. Great pedaling efficiency. Small bump compliance during hard chain load situations is super. It's very stiff laterally. The geometry is perfect for the riding I do. The real kicker is the bike I rode had a coil shock and a coil fork and still came in at 29 lbs. If you get a chance to ride one, take advantage of it. The only bad thing that will come from it is disappintment with your current ride.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Jekyl, Specialized Enduro, Santa Cruz Blur
Damon   [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat, desends even better. Romic shock is great. Sturdy platform(bike is solid) ne creeks, very stiff grease ports on all the pivot points.

None that I found yet, other than the chesse bag stickers.

Just got back from my first ride. This bike is simply awesome, confidense inspiring ride. I found myself going down the downs much faster than I normally do, climbing is all so second to none, handles great, you point it it goes. Turner nailed the geometry on this one. Every thing about this bike makes me want to quit my job and just ride. Can't wait to ride tomorrow. I will keep you posted as time goes on.

Similar Products Used: GT I-Drive (She served me well)
Kent   Cross Country Rider [Jun 26, 2003]
Strength:

Quality of construction, geometry, rear suspension design

This thing makes other cross country bikes feel inadaquate. It's stiff climbing and descending, precise steering, and the rear end stays hooked up. I haven't ridden anything else that is this good for an all-conditions ride. It climbs lighter than it's 33 lbs should feel like, probibly thanks to the pivot location and the Romic shock. It descends straight and fast like a rock solid heavy weight.

There's a lot of talk about new designs that don't suffer from pedal induced bob, but the magazine testers don't talk about how badly some of those designs react when you grab the rear brake. And they've come to accept the pedals getting yanked backwards when hitting a bump. Those are compromises you don't have to make. This bike is a perfect fit for the "easy to tune" Romic shock, and still have a full time functioning rear brake. It's easy to go fast, it's the stopping part that hurts. You can have a bike that pedals up as well as it flys back down.