Trek Liquid 25 All Mountain Full Suspension

zoothslooth   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2011]
Strength:

Cushy, easy on the rear end.

Cushy, lots of pedal bob on the uphill, I hated the rear shock.

I really disliked the bike, even though I really wanted to love it. I guess all mountain is not my style so maybe it was just a poor choice for location and riding style. I never could get the rear shock stiff enough, I felt like I wasted so much energy on the uphill. I sold the bike and got a full rigid steel 29er and a Fisher Paragon, I prefer either of them over the liquid. If you're looking for a cushy, el dorado cadillac riding style bike, this could be the one. If you want a responsive, maneuverable bike, you might wanna pass on the liquid. Coincidentally my brother who is a few inches shorter and lighter than me loves his liquid. One difference that I noticed b/n the liquid and other FS bikes I've owned is the rear shock manufacturer. I'll only buy a bike with a Fox rear shock. That's my bias now, after owning this liquid for several years.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Epic
Trek Fuel
2eyebox   Weekend Warrior [Feb 24, 2010]
Strength:

Versatility! The bike is very good to great at just about everything.

I really can't come up with any weaknesses...that is none that couldn't be the RIDERS weakness.

this is for the 2005.If you can only afford ONE mtb...but do different types of riding,look no further.I only changed the fork because the Manitou black is not for 230lb riders (IMHO)but my lighter 180lb buddy loved it.I wanted to get the rp23 rear shock..but the swinger 3way does an AWESOME job once you get it set to your preference.no fumbling for the propedal switch(like some ppl i ride with)Take a shock pump ride all day...pump the SPV valve just until it stays locked then reduce by 1/2 lb increments after riding 30 minutes(it takes about that long for the shock to totally adjust)write those digits down and set it and forget it. The bike performs well in all areas but its long wheelbase is not the best in technical uphill swithbacks,but what it lacks there it more than makes up for everywhere else..especially long descents and ground obstacles.The Swinger 3way turns it into a hardtail when you start hammering the pedals making it a surprisingly good climber.we all switch bikes around while riding and everyone who rode it was impressed at how it is so good at so much...AND at how well the swinger performed.No frame issues here and I am 230 lbs with no gear...the bike can take a pounding.

Similar Products Used: Cdale prophet,g fisher cake,giant trance,
TuckerC   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2009]
Strength:

Frame is very strong. Nice components for the price. Climbs great.

Great bike! I would recomend to anyone to is seriously into mountain biking who wants a bike that is a great climber but is also very good and strong for the downhill. I am planning on getting into racing a little and I think this bike will be fantastic! I am in high school and all my friends that I bike with payed way more for their bikes and I have the nicest and most fun bike out of all of them.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Hardrock Haro Shift R1
Mike   Weekend Warrior [Sep 20, 2005]
Strength:

Front/rear Shocks, Frame(so far), Stopping power

Trek Quality control: headset had no grease at all, BB had to be replaced within 6 months of light use. Hayes brakes pads are finicky to replace compared to Avid.

Need special tool to maintain wheel bearings

I'm glad I did not buy this new. It rides great but it has cost more to replace or maintain this bike than my other bike(s) over the same time period. The Trek quality control is terrible. I will be stripping this bike down and rebuilding it. Hopefully this will eliminate any other problems from the factory.

Overall, I won't be buying another Trek (used or new) anytime soon, considering the higher quality control of other manufacturers.

Similar Products Used: Kona, Rocky Mountain, GT
Jeff   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2006]
Strength:

Good seating position and higher-end components.

Have not found one yet...

Going from an old hard tail to the liquid was a dream - no more sore buns. I have nothing to compare, but nothing to complain about either. I love this bike. No troubles yet as others have written about. Frankly this is more bike than I thought I could ever afford, so it is hard for me to be critical....

Similar Products Used: None - got such a great deal on e-bay I just bought it w/out comparison (bike shop demo w/ less than 10 miles on it)
Mike Considine   Cross Country Rider [Jul 13, 2007]
Strength:

I purchased the Liquid frame (only) to replace my broken NRS frame. The Liquid has typical performance qualities of other bikes in this price range. The bike/frame is nothing special.

I was looking for a solid frame from a reputable company - I found neither. I cracked the frame at the bottom weld on the seat tube (just above the bottom bracket) following just 6 months of use. Trek agreed to replace the frame but 5 weeks have passed - no frame, no bike, no riding.

Trek obviously has a problem with the reliability of their welded frames (see other reviews on this page). Trek also has little interest in getting me back on the trails. I’m one unhappy customer and would not recommend Trek products.

Similar Products Used: K2 Razorback, Cannondale Jekyl, Giant NRS
andrew   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2006]
Strength:

awsome geometery, good brakes, SPV, pretty light, excellent climber/downhill, best frame i used

crappy seat

the spv shocks work like a dream and the stopping power is incredible. may need a tune up about once a year. the seat absolutley sucks. if you get 1 buy a new seat with it. the climbing is almost as good as a cross country bike. 5-6 " make it an awsome downhill bike. comes w/ 8" rotor in front. hayes nine disc brakes. manitou swinger three way and manitou black fork. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BIKE

Similar Products Used: kona dawg, tomac 6 shooter
Andrew   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2006]
Strength:

Very forgiving and confidence inspiring bike. The suspension setup is brilliant so long as you spend some time playing with the pressures. Seems indestructible so far.

I would say the Jones AC-X tyres that come standard are the only weak spot. If you covered them in velcro and rode on shag carpet they might grip.

I was looking to upgrade from my hardtail and got the chance to get an 05 Liquid 25 for $700 less than retail due to it being superceded by the Remedy. Best money I ever spent on a bike! I could never go back to a hardtail again. Takes some getting used to after bone jarring hard tail rides. Trails that made me cringe before I can now tackle much easier and with more confidence than before. Take some time to play with the suspension set up and experiment with different pressures. Use the manual as a guide to pressures, its not gospel. Replace the tyres as soon as you can too, they're rubbish. But seeing as I saved $700 and got a brilliant bike I'm not too concerned with changing out the tyres.
I haven't had any problems with the frame like some previous reviewers, must have been a problem specific to 04 model. Buy and ride with confidence!

Amandio   Cross Country Rider [Apr 02, 2007]
Strength:

Easy to handle through tight single track or faster downhill riding. The suspension does a great job of absorving most bumps. After 3 years still not had any problems with the shock or the fork.

I broke the frame and it took 6 weeks to get a replacement.

This is a follow up post from a couple of years back.
When I read reviews of people braking frames I though these were crazzy guys doing monster drops but guess what I broke my frame on tiny 2 foot drop. In actual fact now that I think about it I had a crack in the weld above the bottom bracket the entire spring last year. It was annoying as hell as I couldn't figure out where the creaking noise was coming from. I tried adjusting the head set back and forth, readjsuted the brake calipers, replaced pads, checked hubs etc... but the creaking never went away unti.... the frame broke. It broke exactly where people were saying it did above the bottom bracket at the weld. Trek replaced the frame with a brand new frame which I believe is from a Treck Remedy. The new frame is a beaut. It is an improvement in that it has a lower top tube which gives me more standover clearance. The only draw back is that I have lost some climbing ability which this bike has been awsome at climbing but it is still quite strong. Overall I have been using this bike for over 3 years and I am very happy with it. There is nothing that at my level of riding I have not been able to do. It can do alot more than I have thrown at it so far but I am improving so hopefully the new frame will hold out. Waiting six weeks for a replacement frame was a real pain since I do not have another bike as backup. It's too bad Trek has stopped making this bike because it is a great all around bike. Light enough to keep up with the with the weight weenie bikes and strong enough that you are not worried about braking something when you hit some rough stuff. Geat bike too bad for the frame braking. If it were not for that and the 6 weeks down time I would gladly give it 5 chillies all around.

Similar Products Used: None so far. My previous bike was a Schwinn Hardtail. Have ridden a buddy's Santa Cruz Blur but like the liquid better.
Mark Twitchell   Weekend Warrior [Mar 29, 2007]
Strength:

Durable

See Below

I last wrote a review in Feb, 2005. At that time, I just broke the 2nd of 2 of the initial Liquid Frames, the ones with the Carbon Fiber seat stays. The Bike shop replaced the entire frame, bottom bracket, shock, etc. with the new 2005 frame with normal, (pivoting) seat stays. I gotta say, it's still going strong. Our theory here is that the carbon fiber stays were stressing the frame to the point where it broke (both frames broke almost exactly after 1 year, and both broke at the same spot,which I notice is where other Liquids have broken). So, it appears to me that Trek has fixed the problem, and I'm a happy camper. I'd buy another Trek, no problem. (and thanks again to all at The Bike Shop.)
Funny thing, the only other frame I've broken (did I mention I'm 275 lb?) was the old Fisher Montare curved seatpost, elevated chainstay, short coupled thingie that he built for Moab climbing (shudder!). I broke 3 of those babies at about 6 months each. All at the same point just below where the chain stays hit the seatpost. Kinda like the Liquid, they weren't around long. After #3, Rex put me on an Aquila. Now there was a nice, well balanced bike!