Trek Liquid 10 All Mountain Full Suspension

kotasa   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2011]
Strength:

Great on climbs, descents, technical spots

It's kind of heavy, can't hike a bike with it, needs better wheels

I am not a bike expert. I have owned five mountain bikes since I started riding in 1991. I would never have bought this bike except the salesman talked me into testing it out in the parking lot. My original intention was to get something light and cheaper like a Specialized Stumpjumper or Rockhopper. But now, seven years later, I think I like the Liquid overall for its good climbing, excellent suspension setup (replaced blown out Psylo with new Fox). I still miss not being able to hike a bike it. Oh, well, can't have everything.

Similar Products Used: none
Jack Stanick   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2008]
Strength:

overall great bike and i have had the bike for two years and never had to replace any major parts

none because when i crash which is my fault and when i break components

i love this bike and i would reccommend it to anyone whether a beginner or expert

Similar Products Used: none
Thomas   Weekend Warrior [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

COMFORTABLE, Disc brakes, Lifetime warranty

Bontrager Saddle, does not fit my bike rack and must be put in via the hatchback.

OK, this bike is a great jack-of-all trades bike. I always find it odd that people will buy an XC bike and then complain when it sucks on downhills or vice versa. I bought this to replace my Cannondale SuperV and it's been a perfect replacement. I don't race or do 5+ foot drops, I do mostly singletrack, hard pack, fun recreational riding. I think most of the components are fine, except the pedals/seat. I have not been able to reproduce the earlier poster's problems with the chain constantly rubbing the chainstay(or anything else). I think this bike is a great value.

I think Trek really hit the nail on the head with this bike. I LIKE the less aggressive riding position. Bike manufacturers have building FS bikes to be function specific for too long. I'm guessing there are a lot of folks that can appreciate a general purpose, all-round full suspension setup. We may not be hardcore, but we still enjoy riding and this bike seems to fit that niche very well. 5 Chilis for recognizing a need and responding with a solid offering.

Similar Products Used: Sugar 3+, Cannondale Jekyll, Giant AC2
Michael Langdon   Cross Country Rider [Jun 11, 2003]
Strength:

Solid very well built and pretty good parts specs. The Psylo up front and the rear suspension

If anything the tires and the wheel set. My rear wheel is slightly loose on the axle already.

I am a 6'2" 225 lbs rider who beats the crap out of everything. This bike was built to be beat on. I have smashed the outer chainring into seven or eight logs and haven't damaged it. The most difficult part so far has been adjusting the rebound but that is to be expected. I normally don't like the rapid fires but they have worked perfect so far. I am a very technical rider and can now go places where I usually have not been able to go with this bike. The criticisms of this bike so far seem ludricous. How do you review a bike you haven't even ridden for any length of time? Maybe the bike shop doesn't know what they are doing? Or, they could talk to Trek?

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Supercalibre
Adam Jones   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2004]
Strength:

I think it's awesome. I have no complaints. This is the first time in my life I have actually researched and taken time before a bicycle purchase. My last fs bike was a Proflex 454, aka chromoly pogo-stick, thus I was wary of the full suspension thing. It climbs great, handles great, stops great. I am entirely satisfied with it. A lot of these reviews seem to think that the LX derailuer is bunk, but it works just fine for me. I highly recommend this bike.

Heavy...The geometry takes a little getting used to...The stock pedals clog up severely if you look at mud...The back brake rubs and I can't seem to correct it...The only way to adjust the fork preload is to change the spring, which is somewhat of a project...Heavy...(It's worth the weaknesses)

Bang for the buck I don't think this bike can be beat. I have a lot of fun on it. I wish it was lighter, but I think as I break parts I can replace them with lighter stuff. I was shocked the first time I used it to climb, as I expected my old Proflex, and found that it was more anchored to the ground than my hardtail. The trailbear tires are great on the back, but I think as a front tire they're only okay. The adjustable travel is neat, but I don't bother with it except to get it in my van and for really long climbs. The seat is a piece of crap and I hate it. The rest of the bike is super. Don't buy it if you think weight is a major issue. If you want a sweet low-priced bike, then do buy it...

Similar Products Used: I checked out these: GT I-Drive, Bianchi Denali, Santa Cruz Superlight, Cannondale Jekyl
My last bike was a Trek 7000 (Which I loved)
Ray   Weekend Warrior [Sep 04, 2003]
Strength:

Fox TALUS, Hayes disc brakes, 125 mm travel on front fork

LX rear derailleur

This is my first full-suspension bike, and I shopped around for several months. I am very happy with this bike because ofers an excellent design with 5 inch rear travel, and 125mm of front travel. I usually keep both front and rear full out. Occasionally, I adjust the TALUS shock to the 1/2 or 1/4 position on long flat stretches, but don't always feel it necessary to do so. Disc brakes are awesome, esp. on muddy trails. Would have liked a XT rear derailleur, but will upgrade it eventually. Very little to complain about this bike though. I am a beginner to intermediate rider who likes to ride technical single track, and believe that this bike will last me for many years to come. I was on a budget of approx. $1500, and had to stretch it a bit to get this bike, but glad that I did.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Enduro, Specialized Stumpjumper, Cannondale Jekyll 600
Terry Merrifield   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2003]
Strength:

The most impressive feature of this bike is the smoothness of the overall suspension design. The "Liquid" name is the most fitting name Trek could have come up with for this great bike. It is as smooth as liquid, no joke! Also, there is no power robbing, rear suspension bob during climbing.

When I purchased this bike (Trek liquid 10), I was aware the components were sub-standard to my old bike's complete XT setup and fully intend to upgrade the SRAM cassette, Deore rear derailer, and chainrings very soon (they generally suck and shift hard). I know I'm spoiled by the nicer components on my old bike but the additional $$ for XT components, rebound adjustable Psylo fork, and disc specific wheels were a little more than I could convince my wife to accept all at once... The only problem I have encountered thus far is with the rear Hayes, disc rotor / caliper housing alignment. It has a problem with center rotor alignment and tends to rub (and squeal) when I turn (left). I am currently waiting on a reply from Hayes regarding the fix to this problem. Also, the brakes stink like an old semi with a bad clutch after a long, hard downhill accent. (Thats Ok, it makes me feel like I've really done something).

The frame and rear shock are the exactly the same throughout the Trek 10, 20, & 30 models. If you are interested in entering into the 'next stage' of your mountain biking obsession and have been looking for the perfect full suspension, 'all mountain' bike, check this thing out. I am a 6'3", 220lb, hard riding, XC mountain biker that was looking to bring my sport to the next level and this bike fills the bill perfectly. I rip through many of the technical trails along the Northern foothills of the Rocky Mountains about twice a week. My average trip entails 75% of intense climbing and 25% of insane down-hill (time wise that is), therefore I was concerned about the weight and strength of the bike. My Liquid 10 - 19.5” bike weighs in at about 31~lbs. The difference between the Liquid and my lightweight hard tail was only noticeable when climbing through the technical stuff as the rear wheel stays anchored to the dirt and rocks! So far the frame will take everything I can dish out. I have much more climbing control and down-hill confidence than ever before.

Dave Chapman   Weekend Warrior [Jun 16, 2007]
Strength:

Great beginner all mountain bike. Got me going for what I could pay at the time.

Snapped the frame (SWING ARM)....BUT Trek replaced Swinarm with Trek Remedy SA and it kicked ass. The Psylo Is not great at all, but I rode almost everything with it with no problem. DON'T BLAME THE BIKE, BLAME THE RIDER!!!! although I have since upgraded big time

Look, this bike may have been bottom of the line, but I loved it. Then it got stolen and I was forced to get a new bike (remedy 66) which I love, but the liquid had the exact same soul. I've ridden Everything...but I LOve the TREK all mountain Feel. Get em and up grade em if you need, but the feel is like no other.

Similar Products Used: You name it, I've tried it (kinda)
Paul   Downhiller [Sep 25, 2003]
Strength:

Sweet design. There's huge travel, and it still rides nicely. The adjustable suspension is almost unnecessary, but it's still a nice comodity. Relatively cheap/

The bike is a little heavier than my last bike, about 3 pounds heavier. I got this one down to about 28.7 pounds, which is still pretty light for a full suspension bike with this much travel.

This bike is awsome. The K2 counterpart is nothing compared to this bike. The adjustable travel is sweet, and even without it, the bike still has an easy ride. I've hit quite a few bumps/drops/jumps, and I still havent bottomed out. This bike has given me enough confidence to do just about everything. It's not a cheap bike, but if you have a little time to find the right deal, you'll be getting an amazing bike. If you can find it for under $1200, you'll be getting a great deal.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel 80, KHS Rage, K2 Attack 3.0
Timo   Cross Country Rider [Feb 09, 2004]
Strength:

Frame design, Fox Talus, Hayes Hydro Discs, 4" to 5" adjustability, Psylo C fork, Made in the USA, price

Some components such as: lx, deore, rims, saddle, cassette, chain (but what do you expect for a grand?)

Sweet bike for the price (end of season blowout). It's right at 30 lbs with the above changes. Not a ton of bob on fire roads or steep, wet, technical single-track climbs if you keep it smooth. Lack of anti-bob suspension doesn't hurt this ride, but if you need it - get the Liquid 20, 30, or 55. I have zero complaints with the Psylo C fork - U-Turn & rebound work as promised (Trek has changed to the Black Comp for 2004). The best part about this bike is the adjustability - it only takes a few seconds to adjust on the trail & you have a totally different ride - Competent trail ride in 4" mode - Quasi-downhill machine in 5" mode. Handles like an absolute dream downhill.

In this bike's future - new rims, cassette, & other bits as they wear out - I'll bet we can get her down to 27 lbs. I'll post back after a year or so on the Liquid.

Who should buy this? Riders who want an all mountain bike without a Santa Cruz Blur or Rocky Mountain price. Not for the XC racer boys or WW's - and remember it's not a DH only machine. Have fun and get out & ride.

Similar Products Used: Iron Horse Hollowpoint, lots of hardtails, SC Blur, Giant AC, Rocky Mountain.