Tomac Snyper 140 All Mountain Full Suspension

• 140mm travel, designed for 140 or 150mm travel fork
  • 6.8lb/3100g frame weight with Fox RP23 shock
  • Tapered head tube (1 1/8th top to 1.5 lower)
  • Fits SRAM, Shimano and FSA front derailleurs
  • Full seat post extension

mac_aaron   [Jan 11, 2015]
Strength:

Writing this for all the owners out there. If You ever need a derailleur hanger You can buy one from http://pilo.co.il/tomac - it's an Israeli based CNC company, I bought one in 2012 and is good.

Great bike.

Jesse   [Aug 15, 2014]
Strength:

2009 Tomac Snyper - This is an update to my May 2011 review- since there is nothing recent, I thought that I would post my thoughts. This bike has been a workhorse for me. Over the last 3 years I have made this into a light XC build with light and fast xc tires and wheels and it preformed great. This season I started hang with the freeride crowd and swapped for a Stans heavy duty wheelset and some Hans Dampf super gravity tires. Changed the brakes to XT with big rotors. I tell you what, this bike can hang with the best of them, it is a better bike than I am a rider. I am not a big jumper. but they won't leave me behind on the trail. Now I have a lightweight wheelset with fast tires to swap out for fast xc riding and the heavy duty wheelset for my more agressive riding.

Tomac went out of business. This is the last of the great ones from Tomac. No more support. I've been trying not to break anything. and service it regulary. I was getting ready to buy a Vanish, when they went out of business.

If you find one of these used, buy it if its in good condition. I rarely see any for sale, which to me means no one wants to let them go. I know the only way I would get rid of mine is something broke that couldn't be fixed. Love my Tomac.

Similar Products Used: These are bikes I have owned or have ridden - Turner XC, Banshee Chaparral, Turner 5 spot.
M. Scott   Weekend Warrior [Oct 09, 2012]
Strength:

Climbs like a champ, light and stiff-

weak posterior triangle?, refer to review

So this review has two purposes, one is to let everyone who owns this bike know that Tomac has recently gone out of business. How do i know this? I was mountain biking a month ago and after landing a small jump i looked down to notice that my rear triangle was broke right where the chain stays took off. No worries, i thought, I can just call Tomac, strip bike down and send in the rear triangle, and they'll send me a new one. So it was my dismay to learn that the same week this happened, Tomac was in the midst of finding itself out of business. Joel Smith, whom I've seen many reviews refer to, made a valiant but short effort to locate a rear triangle from his remaining distributors, and ended up telling me that i may as well try to weld the rear triangle back, which seems like a pipe dream.
This brings me to the second and self-serving part of the review. I rode this bike for 1.5 seasons and it was awesome, as the reviews here seem to verify. So, seeing that there is a market for anything these days, i thought that there maybe a few riders out there who, hearing that tomac is caput, may want to salvage an intact and well treated Snyper 140 frame size Large color Black in case anything ever happens to their tomac frame- and would offer a fair price so that i can buy another frame. Or, alternatively, maybe someone who has this bike not in use who wants to sell me their rear triangle, again for a fair price. Or, hopefully, a bike store who, reading this, has an extra Snyper 140, size large that they can't sell bc the business is out of business and would offer a fair price for the rear triangle.
I'd entertain any reasonable offer. I can be reached at atavistica@gmail.com

kikeorsu   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 2012]
Strength:

Confidence, resistant, strong, maneuverable, climbs very well, light weight.

Seatpost Clamp is terrible

This bike inspires confidence, fantastic climber and descender, It is light enough to ride every days. This bike rocks. It's very good for uphills and downhill. The 140mm of rear suspension eats all terrains, Love this bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek Liquid 2004, Santacruz Heckler 2006
twowheelsjunkie   Downhiller [Jan 08, 2012]
Strength:

Very stable yet agile bike that handle predictably. Bombproof ( at least it looks like it). Did i mention stiff, fun and goes up or down with the greatest of ease. Support ! if you ever encounter an issue with that bike you won't be left in the dark, Tomac support absolutely rocks !

The stock der hagner is just too flimsy, broke mine within the first 6 months. I had a couple of problem with the main pivot screw that just kept loosening, but everything was resolved quickly thanks to Joel at Tomac. ISCG mount would have been a great addition on this bike.

An absolute marvel on any terrain, the gnarliest it gets the funnier it become. On the climbs, i never use the propedal, i can feel the power transfer directly to the rear wheel and not in the bending frame or suspension bob. Great pedaling power standing or sitting and the suspension work well in both situations ( providing good pedaling technique of course but that is true for any bike). My set up is just under 30 pounds, definitely not an XC race bike weight, but i don't care and even notice it much it's just so much fun. This bike inspire confidence and definitely made me a better rider. If you are an XC rider and want to go full agro but still have a pedal friendly bike, this is it Buy one !

Similar Products Used: GT Karakoram,Tomac special 98
Tim Richards   Weekend Warrior [Dec 11, 2011]
Strength:

At 29 lbs This bike will do anything you ask it too. Climbs and descends like nothing Ive ever ridden, and it handles like a dream up in the air.

This bike is built to ride anywhere and take any abuse you can give. The welds and gussets are like a tank, even where the piviot points are may look extreme on the 2010, but it doesnt show it on the scale. As far All Mountain, but still able to kick out record times on the XC trail, this is the bike.

jsalas2   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2011]
Strength:

This is the best bike that I have ever ridden. I got this to compliment my Turner XCE. The Turner has 4in of travel and the Snyper has 5.5 in. I have been doing more heavy trail riding and was at the limit of my Turner which is an excellent bike. I thought that I would lose some of the nimbleness, climbing and everything else that an XC bike does well. But let me tell you, was I wrong. This bike can do everything that my Turner can do and more. Where I ride, there is a little bit of every kind of riding. Smooth singletrack,rough singletrack, steep downhills, climbing, jumps, rock gardens from the pebbly stuff to bowling ball size rocks. Where I couldn't go with the Turner, the Snyper could with ease. I rode the parts of the trails where I would usually have to do a hike and bike. There was nothing the Snyper couldn't do. It handled like an XC bike and was fast on the singletrack. It climbed like a billy goat. And once I got the shocks dialed in, there was nothing that could stand in its way. This will be my XC, trail,AM, light downhill do everything bike from now on. I have no question that this will be the only bike that I need for the years to come.

I don't see any weaknesses right now, but I've only had it less than a month. I don't forsee anything. It is beautifully built.

I love my Turner XCE and you my ask why I didn't get a Turner 5spot. While that would have been my dream bike, it is way beyond my financial means. But let me tell you, that this bike is in the same league as the 5 spot that I tested and other bikes as said by other reviewers. And is my new dream bike, but a dream that has come true. This is a 2009 small frame with new or almost new components. I have had a hard time finding a small long travel frame that fits me. I have a 27in inseam and the bike just barely fits, but once you are on it. It feels like you are riding in the bike, not on top. You are one with the bike. These are hard to find used, I guess thats the sign of a good bike, people keep the good ones and I was lucky to find one, much less a small one. So if you are like me and can't afford a Turner or any bike that compares to it, you can't go wrong with Tomac Snyper. I understand that the prices have been lowered on the new models. Bye for now.

Similar Products Used: Turner XCE. My main bike for the last 10 years. Rode a Turner 5spot
G-FOURce   Weekend Warrior [Apr 21, 2011]
Strength:

bomb-proof, no noise, beautiful craftsmanship, perfect fit

kinda ugly around the bottom of the seattube and BB housing

just got back into mtb after a two-decade absense. i have owned a Cannondale F400, Giant XTC, Fuel EX8 and now the Snyper 140 and none of them compare to the fit and ride of the Tomac. i traded my Fuel EX8 frame for the Snyper frame and built the bike up from scratch. when i first rode it i was absolutely floored by how perfectly the cockpit fit. this says a lot b/c i am have a long torso and short legs and most bikes just dont feel right b/c i have to buy frames in a size S. however, with the longer stem and setback post the Tomac feels like it was contoured for my body. i have set the sag (front and rear) to my liking and the bike just seems to react to me. it climbs like a hardtail with no bob and there isnt a whisper from the bike ascending or dedscending. the 140mm of travel eats everything i am able to throw at it and it just begs for more. i have ridden a few other full-squish bikes and i havent found one yet that seems to be in the same league as the Snyper. (note: b/c i got the frame in an even swap i gave it 5 chilis across the board as the value and performance were top-shelf for my experience)

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel EX8
East coast trailrider   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2011]
Strength:

This review is for the 2011 Snyper 1 factory build. Strengths; everything, geometry, groupo, lateral stiffness, plush ride, pedals very well, etc...

Bike does not readily fit in coffin, hence, I will need an oversized coffin so when I die they can bury me with it.

I love this bike more and more with every ride. The first thing I noticed on initial experience on the new bike, was how well the rear suspension worked (just as they describe it at the website). No pedal bob, no brake jack, no pedal feedback... But I did not get to fully appreciate the ride until the suspension started to break in, and start getting plush and stiction goes away (it took about 6-8 hours of hard riding for it to start getting really good). After that, the bike really comes to life. I can't believe how fast I fly over rocky terrain with this bike, IT IS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY! The Snyper takes the small, medium, and big hits with authority. And it is a bike that you adapt to very quickly: I was doing single track work on it, and I did not have to think about the bike, I felt like I have been riding it for years. For the first 6 to 8 hours of riding a new Snyper, I would recommend adding just a little extra SAG to get all the suspension parts moving real well to help it break in, after that, fine tune the SAG and rebound...

The Snyper 1 component package is excellent too. I will not change a single part on it. The Nevegals it comes with are outstanding all terrain, and really "hook up". I was doing a high speed rock garden, and I hit a "loose rock" that bounced me sideways, I thought I was gonna crash, but as soon as the Nevegals made contact with the ground, they immediately hooked up and did not slide, hence saving my butt. By far the best A/T tire I have used, but the Nevegals do have a drawback, they do have more "rolling resistance" than the average MTB tire, if that bothers you... If you are looking for a faster tire, you may consider the small block 8, or the BBG's, happy medium. But If you need hardcore traction, the Nevegals are the best for this bike.

My riding skills are definately improving with this bike, the geo, stiffness, components, are all dead on, and inspire confidence.

I also give this bike a high value rating as well. Both the snyper 1 and snyper 2 are not cheap, but they are the most "Fair Priced" for bikes in this catagory, and , in my opinion, the best one out there. Really, look at the other bikes out there, the components, the prices, and compare to the snyper, and you will see, you can't beat this bike, in quality or price. Get this bike, you will not be disappointed.

I purchased the bike from Cambria, and they were very decent to deal with. I also contacted Tomac numerous times with questions about the bike, tech help getting the bike setup perfect, etc, and they are an outstanding company to deal with, Joel is a very professional, prompt, helpful person to deal with (anybody that would put up with all my stupid questions is OK in my book...). So if you want a really top notch MTB from a company that really cares about making the best bikes, go with the Tomac Snyper.

Similar Products Used: This is the first FS I have owned, but have ridden many various FS setups (friends bikes, etc...) over the 20+ years that I have been MTBing.
poky   Cross Country Rider [Mar 04, 2011]
Strength:

Climbing, handling, durable

Weight…although really not an issue…mine sits at 29# - loaded.

I have been riding the Snyper for the past year. I have built the bike up using the optimal parts for my riding style. It is mostly decked out in XT components with the exception of a Truvativ crank and custom BB. Most of my riding consists of steep ascents and long uphill grinds lasting between 2-4 hours. I am not an aggressive downhiller…trying to limit my vertical drops to <4 feet. I have ridden many makes of bikes…from Fisher to Intense over the past 16 years of MTB. My personal preference is to ride a cockpit in which you feel “inside” the bike and not perched on top. I also prefer a slacker head angle, just enough to provide a stable platform while climbing steep grades.

Perhaps my biggest surprise has been the Snyper’s ability to stay firmly planted on steep unexpected grunts. Several “difficult to clear” parts of my favorite trail have faded into memory because of the ease the Snyper nails quick “ups”. I found that I spent way too much time focusing on body position while riding my Tracer to successfully clear the tough sections. Now I often have to stop and think exactly “where” it was that I used to spin out. The Snyper, although a single pivot, provides an optimal balance of trail responsiveness and simplicity. It climbs and transmits pedaling energy very directly and doesn’t feel “sloshy” when going uphill (the RP23 is perfectly tuned to the frame and, once set, doesn’t have to be messed with). Brake jack is kept to a minimum via the Snyper’s stable footprint and confidence-inspiring stance. IMHO, jack is controlled more by riding ability and technique than by mechanical means anyway. The bike is also incredibly stable at speed. Additionally, the 140mm of travel is perfect for almost all the riding I do, never feeling like I am close to bottoming out. Overall, the travel is incredibly smooth through out the entire reach, unlike some of the VPPs I have ridden. It would be interesting to ride the Vanish to see if the added 20mm of travel changes the perfect geometry of the Snyper. Bottom line…you can’t find a better value for a frame than the Tomac Snyper! Awesome customer service and a product that rivals most boutique bikes…well done Tomac!

Similar Products Used: Fisher Joshua and Sugar, Intense Tracer, Ibis Mojo, Giant Reign, SC BLT