Titus Loco-Moto All Mountain Full Suspension

"If you're a rider looking for rock solid performance and value from a lightweight, long travel trail bike, then check out the 2004 Titus Loco-Moto.

Mountain Bike Action says ""You'd be hard pressed to find a better long-travel trail bike""(1) and we fully agree."

Dave K   All Mountain Rider [Oct 09, 2013]
Strength:

Bike handles the roughest technical single track with ease, and climbs with the best of them. Great balance, and very toss-able, while still maintaining precise control. Super durable single pivot design.

The rear triangle does not have enough clearance for large volume tires. You are limited to 2.3 inch width.

I've put over 12,000 technical single track miles on my LOCO in around 8 years of riding it, and have not been able to break it yet. I rode a Racer X for 2 seasons, and an El Guapo for one season, and found that the Loco Moto is actually a better handling bike in almost all situations, which is why I've switched back to it. It climbs well, and handles rock gardens, and steep downhills with the best of them. My bike is set up with a 130 mm fork up front, and a shorty stem, and it just eats up the rough stuff, and always feels under control. I'm hoping that I can get another 10 years of riding out of it.

Similar Products Used: Titus Racer X, Titus El Guapo
mtnman1850   Cross Country Rider [Dec 05, 2008]
Strength:

Super versatile all mountain bike. Rolls over the rough stuff like it wasn't there, great balance, and handles technical single track like it's on rails. By far the best all around bike mountain bike I've ridden, and I've ridden lots of them. The single pivot works great, and I haven't been able to hurt the bike in over a year of thrashing. This was the best 800 bucks I've ever spent!

Kind of rare, so it's hard to find one.

It would be hard to beat the over-all performance of this bike, and it can be set-up to be anything from a 4 1/2 inch travel, 24 LB.x-country ripper, to a 5 inch all mountain bruiser, and work well either way. These frames were handmade in Tempe Arizona by skilled craftsmen, so you have the honor of riding an American made boutique brand as well. These guys obviously take pride in what they do. Because of the single pivot, this is probably the most under rated bike on the trail, except when I'm whipping past those other posers on their Specialized, Treks, Cannondales, and Gary Fishers.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale super V, Specialized Epic, Klein Mantra, Kona Dawg, Trek fuel, Schwinn homegrown.
Terry   Weekend Warrior [Dec 13, 2006]
Strength:

The bike is a can do everything bike, it can hammer with the CC guys or use it for all mountain bike.

None so far.

I bought this bike so I could do it all. I counld not afford to buy a bike for every ridding condition so I picked the loco moto to do it all. When I buy another bike it will a Titus.

Similar Products Used: GT LTS GT RTS
mtbstevo   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 2005]

single pivot and rocker arm a tight fit with other components (front deralieur) but everything seems to work, sizing for Titus bikes seems larger than other bikes

I bought the frame to take my riding to the next level of weekend warrior freeriding (nothing too crazy since I'm 36 and don't heal fast). At first I had buyer's remorse with the single pivot and coming from an XC, but the more I ride this bike the more I like it. It's given me the courage to try new stuff (and keep coming back even when I crash). Plush enough to take rough inclines or table drops, extremely well balanced for track stands, ladders and other stunts, tall for good clearance of logs yet the X-frame doesn't threaten your crotch if you fall off, and agressive enough to hammer with the XC'ers. A very versatile bike. What more could you ask for?

Similar Products Used: Marin Bear Valley SE, Kona Kikapu
Mat Coffey   Cross Country Rider [May 19, 2004]
Strength:

Simple, STRONG, stiff design. Very little (almost no)pedal feedback due to low pivot point. Design perfectly utilizes SPV rear shock technology.

None after getting the X-frame front triangle. Tried a 5" Vanilla up front, but (like MTB says) it was meant for a 4" Float -- I switched back after one ride.

I shopped, I asked questions, I rode many bikes and for the type of weather, trail conditions in the NWest I opted for a simple single-pivot. At first, there was some remorse until I slapped on the SPV rear shock...Now every time I ride I comment on how absolutely KILLER this bike rides. Tough, uphill, off-camber switchies, rock gardens, log rides, 3 foot drops, roots just roll right under the bike. Then when you go to hammer, there's no hesitation.

Also, Titus makes you feel appreciated. They were very cool about swapping me for the new X-frame front end for a pittance, even though I was technically uneligible. I never see myself coming or going and compared to Rocky's and Specialized, etc. there are no weak, "you'll replace two a year" components of the frame. The pivot is absolutely tight and shows no chance of freeing up. Riders know what I mean when I say there's that "solid thud" feeling when hitting it hard. No twangy, flexy, "I think I just pushed it to the limit" wincing with this frame. You feel so confident that your only concern becomes whether or not you're smooth enough to avoid a pinch flat -- probably the only problem you'll ever have with this bike.

For the price, I can't see any other bike that's worth it. Price aside, the only bike that feels as neutral and good would be a Turner 5 spot, but damn, they're expensive.

I promised Alan at Titus he'd get a real review from an obsessive rider, so here it is: Buy a Loco and be happy.

Similar Products Used: Yeti ASX (my other bike), Rock Lobster, Gary Fisher, few others.
Maxwell Oliver   Cross Country Rider [Jul 05, 2006]
Strength:

Lots of travel and plenty of ways to adjust this bike to your personal style of riding. My previous bike was more of a XC type and I prefer a stiffer set up, but like that I have the long travel available on both ends. Set up for disc brakes in the future.

I am not sure a single pivot is going to work for me. I'll update this after a few months and let you know. Getting a front derailer that fits this bike then adjusting it is a pain. Limited on tire size in the rear. (2.3 probably the largest you could run.)

Bought the frame used so the price is not really applicable to value. I Like the bike so far I am not in love with it. I weigh 205 lbs. The frame seems to stand up to my weight really well. The bob when I climb might be something I can fix with a lock out shock in the rear, but for now it gives it all back on the down hill. Will upgrade to disc brakes when I can afford to do so. I think that might make the feeling grow for the Loco Moto.