Titus El Guapo All Mountain Full Suspension

Titus exclusive ATF-formed 6000 series aluminum front triangle Advanced Thermal Forming uses a super heated, pressurized gas to soften an aluminum tube so that it may be formed into complex shapes and butting profiles inside of a clamshell mold. The resulting tube has optimized strength and weight profiles, providing for a lighter and stronger frame.

• 1.5" Headtube offers greater strength and compatibility with newer long-travel, single crown forks
  • ISCG tabs for chainguide mounting
  • All-new, redesigned rear triangle featuring ATF technology
  • ATF seat stay is formed from a single, continuous tube to boost stiffness while shedding weight from the previous three piece design
  • New design saves 156grams over '09 rear triangle
  • 155mm of travel controlled by a custom-valved 2010 Fox RP23 shock

Tony Ratcliffe   [Oct 10, 2013]
Strength:

Efficient but plush rear end, fully ball raced swing arm, light for an AL bike with 150mm travel. The Monarch RCT3 works well. Value.

Eer, the finish isn't as good as the big companies. I'd love to see a 27.5 compatible rear stay option.

Review for V3
With a short stem, wide bars & Reverb dropper this bike is great fun. It climbs far better than I imagined & with both ends in "open" mode & the seat dropped hustles downhill without noise or fuss.
I very occasionally strike the pedals but I also do this on all of my other bikes.
All in all a great & cheap am/trail bike & a bit different from the masses.

Bruce   Weekend Warrior [Aug 24, 2013]
Strength:

I built up my El Guapo at the end of 2012 and had been riding it since. I went from a Titus Motolite to an El Guapo, and I had no regret of the upgrade. The bike handles like a dream and it looks "handsome". Although I mainly ride in Houston's trails (more XC oriented trails) but I can be a little more aggressive if I wanted too with my EG. The bike will take whatever I can ride and begged for more. just like many riders had mentioned, I am too the only weakness of the bike. I have few other riders came up to me and checked out my bike then suggested me to try other bikes(spezz... and some other bike brands offered at the local store), I just smile and ride off with my EG knowing I don't really envy any of those bikes. If anyone have an opportunity to ride an EG, then I would suggested take it for a spin. I promised you will smile from ear to ear.

I craved for the EG with a thru axle in the rear. But nothing perfect!

What can I say! El Guapo is the bike for me for the next few years. It pedals and handles well in the trail. Most important of all, it kept me faithful to my bike ( I don't feel the need to cast any wonder eyes to any other bike in the trail yet). With the right set up, this is a dream machine for you to envy!

Dave   All Mountain Rider [Jul 18, 2013]
Strength:

Purchase price is in sterling, not dollars and for frame only!
Not as heavy as I was expecting - around the 30lb mark.
Climbs nearly as well as by Titus X
Marmite looks - I've got it in the raw finish and love it
Going to get me in trouble on the downhills!

Chain guide wouldn't fit with a double on the front - was wanting to use a Blackspire but the ICSG mounting plate is too far out and it catches on the chainring.

Only had a few rides so far, built it up from part from my Prophet frame and it's definately a better climber and better on the rough stuff. I found my prophet felt like it was being slowed down in rock gardens but this just steams through them - found myself pedalling to go faster through a few!
The raw finish is very nice, should wear well in the wet and mud where I live.
The monarch shock seems to be ok, time will tell.
Cockpit feels short which suits me and makes chucking it about easier.
I'll update this once I get a few more rides under my belt.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Prophet, Kona Coiler, Stinky, On one Ti456
noufa777   All Mountain Rider [Feb 15, 2013]
Strength:

Shred allmountain track both descending and ascending greatly. Very controllable on downhill section, comfortable for all day riding. Uphill like XC bike, seriously, if you go with 'propedal' choice on rear shock it keep pedalling efficiency high.
Great deal on pricing

Some issues in 2012's low bottom bracket frames, but solved in 2013 line up

We don't need fancy bike to obtain great performance of riding. I used this el Guapo for 6 months. It descends and shred bumps of rocky section with a buttery smooth-agile-stabilized feeling, cornering in full speed and control. It also climb confidently jut like XC bike. I have a great moment in some events when passing by XC carbon bike on asphalt long climbing section (both 26er andn 29er!) and giving them a smile plus thumb.
Yes this is simply and truly do it all bike.
The el Guapo frame's weight 3 kg, quite light for alloy fullsus, event some carbon AM frames reach 3 kg.

Wil   Weekend Warrior [Oct 10, 2012]
Strength:

Supply & smooth
Climbs well
Descends amazingly well!
Stiff
Looks awesome.

None so far

Very confidence inspiring ride. Built up right it is capable of epic day rides, techy single track, steep climbs and DH. It's a real do it all bike. If like me you can't justify or afford more than one bike then the El Guapo is the answer and at £599.99 from on-one it's an absolute steal!

mnigro   Weekend Warrior [Sep 29, 2012]
Strength:

Climbs incredibly well- scary good. Holds a line well, very light for 150mm frame, corners well, looks sweet.

Low BB takes some getting used to. Not the same attention to quality as the old Titus but still a solid build. The head tube was not reamed out properly but Brant, not On One/Titus, but Brant made good by me.

So, if you are looking for a bad asss AM bike that climbs like a hard tail or 3" XC bike, look else where. I'm not sure why you'd want that. Those bikes tend to get hung up on square edge stuff, big rocks and roots, etc. IMO, this bikes biggest attribute is how well it climbs. Just stay seated, put it in low, get into position and pedal. I am completely amazed at what I can clear on this bike. It's actually made me like climbing, well... as much as possible. This bike clears chunky, super steep, techie sections like nothing I've ever ridden. The low headtube doesnt wander and the front stays planted with little lift if any. This is how an AM bike should climb - not like a locked-out 22 pound racer.

The low BB takes some getting used to. I have the v2 El G. With a 150 Sektor on the front and fatty tires my BB comes to about 13.25 inches. If I had a Lyrik it would raise it to about 13.5. More in line with other AM sleds but still a bit low. It's a trade off though as the bike corners like a slopestyle ripper. The HTA is more trail-bike like with the 150mm fork, about 68 degrees. A proper 160 fork would slack it out a bit more.

I bout this bike to replace a gen 1.5 SC Nomad. The Nomad beat this bike in the DH category as that bike could plough through anything and eat it up. However, that is one of the same things that made the Mad feel sluggish on the less gnarley trails and it felt overkill for general trail riding. It also suffered incredibly from pedal feedback and tech climbing was not its strong point. Great bike though.

The El Guapo is super nimble and feels much more like a trail bike in tight singletrack but has true AM pedigree and can hang with the best of them when the trail points down and things get fast. It is also the best iteration of the Horst link that I have ridden, and I've been on a few. No bob, traction in spades, doesn't squat on steep climbs - it's just the titties.

Bottom line, if you are not looking to drop $2500+ on a Knolly, SC, Ibis, Turner, etc. this should be one to consider.

Similar Products Used: Past frames: KHS xc604, Salsa El Kaboing, Ragley Blue Pig, MotoLite, SC Blur 4x, SC Nomad
Richard Parenzan   [Sep 20, 2012]
Strength:

-Super strong build quality
-Looks great
-Handles fantastic
-Confidence builder
-Made in the USA

-Low bottom bracket
-Can't think of anything else

Let me start by saying that I'm 6'5' 225. I needed a big burley bike. The El Guapo does not disapoint. It has given me a tremendous amout of confidence which has made me a much better rider. No longer am I feeling scetchy and afraid to hit moderate obstacles. I say moderate because I'm a 36 year old father of 2 and have not been able to grow the calzones to huck myself off a 20 foot gap jump. 5 foot drops? No problem. Fast rocky downhills? No problem. The bike can do so much more than my ability allows.
Up hill is just as surprising. The pedal feel is great and the frame just wants to go. I go faster uphill on this bike with a 160 mm Lyric fork than I did on my Kona hardtail.
If your looking for a bike that goes downhill like a 6" bike but climbs like a 4" bike than the indestructable El Guapo is worth looking into.

Paul   All Mountain Rider [Jun 30, 2012]
Strength:

Its allright as an xc trail bike, but a tad heavy for uphill. A stock GT Sektor is a lot better bike.

Too jittery and twitchy on steering. Noticeable flex on sudden turns, berms and rock beds, too scary for jumps. Felt like the rear wheel is gonna come off. Will not recommend fork travel more than 150mm, anything else will make it more jittery and increase the wheelbase, then more flex is noticeable.

Too flexy for an all mtn. The GT Sektor felt more solid, nimble and predictable and its only an xc category. My el guapo has a bit more travel but the frame design is to weak for the intended purpose. Very unpredictable and hard to handle on downhill with oncoming imbedded and loose rocks, gotta slow down. I have no confidence on this frame so I'am selling it really cheap.

Similar Products Used: GT Sektor and Trek Rumblefish
Johnny RC   All Mountain Rider [May 06, 2012]
Strength:

Stiff, stable, very burly frame. Properly set up, the most forgiving bike I have ever ridden. Corners incredibly, and climbs like a 3"xc bike.

Low BB, causing more pedal strikes than I ever had before, but learned to adjust pedal cadence, and that was over. I can see how some would think the cable routing is tricky, but I personally had no problem with it, and the cables have not gotten in my way. One of the cable tie grommets is right where my Right knee goes by the frame, so really trimmed that zip tie down, and even filed it smooth so when I do hit it, it doesn't scratch me.

This frame doubled my love of mountain biking. I love to ride this bike. Here in Montana, we have everything from slickrock, to loamy back country trails, and even some downhill parks, and this bike does it all with ease. I can climb some very gnarly technical ascents, and then bomb down without being too picky about my line. This bike bombs right through rock gardens I would have walked with previous bikes. The low BB makes cornering insane, I almost feel more like I'm surfing the trail sometimes, because it seems like I just THINK where I want to go and it happens. I guess I really can't properly put it all into words, you just need to ride one for yourself and see. Bottom line, I have done DH and Back Country epics on the same setup, all performed A+. This bike is not necessarily for weight weanies, though if I used mostly carbon furniture and wheels I bet it could get below 28lbs. As mine is set up, it runs a little over 30.
Also note, I'm a mini-Clyde, at 5'6" and 200lbs. I switched the fork to a RS Sektor coil 150mm, and the bike could care less about my weight.

Similar Products Used: Gary Fisher Fat Possum, Demo'd Trek Fuel, and Spec Stumpy, wanted my EG right back.
mabplana   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2011]
Strength:

Amazing predictability! Low bottom bracket with spot on Geometry allows you to rail the corners and stomp the hits! Pedals very well, and climbs like a goat!

If you XC most of the time, the bottom bracket is on the low side, so you need to change your rhythm at times and to have pedal strikes. However if it was not for the low BB the would not handle as amazing as it does!

Don't buy it if you are a weight weeny! Buy It if you ride like my next statement! This bike is so much fun, and versatile! I have never had a bike where I can session the pump track, go for a 20 mile ride, then stomp 30 foot tables in the bike park, while hitting 7 to 9 foot drops, all in the same afternoon without having to make any adjustments! Enough said! 2010 El Guapo!