Specialized S-Works Enduro SL Carbon All Mountain Full Suspension

• Rims: DT Swiss XR 4.2d, 24mm
  • Saddle: Specialized BG Rival, Titanium Rails
  • Seat Post: Thomson, 7000 Series Aluminum

fredjjjj   Cross Country Rider [Jul 02, 2010]
Strength:

Suspension, suspension, suspension!
(Ok, 28.3 lbs weight is good too!)

None so far

Incredible solid and stiff bike with the smoothest suspension
I have experienced. Nice slack angle with 160mm for downhill, great for climbing with 140. A breeze in twists and turns with the 4 lbs fork.
Specialized suspension reliability has been a problem in the last few years, but this one feels great!

Similar Products Used: Enduro S-Works 2007, Spec EPIC S-Works, IBIS Mojo SL
oli2001   Cross Country Rider [May 25, 2010]
Strength:

light weight carbon frame, amount of travel, geometry, climbs and descends with equal panache

stock suspension performance of afr rear shock

With the tf tuned rear shock and fox 150 forks this bike really is an all mountain machine. light enough to climb-with the adjustable platform rear shock and then flies on the descents. Can ride it all day ; the ONE bike.guaranteed to make any ride great fun. Got the frame s/hand in great condition and built up for trail duties.5 chillis with the shock performance upgrade.

Similar Products Used: mc fury
catnash   Weekend Warrior [Apr 10, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, feel, looks. Specialized support and reputation.

Really can't think of any. It's the right tool for the job.

It's my 3rd SL Enduro now over 2 years. I really love this bike so much.
I just can't believe how good this bike rides. Fast secure and enables you to go faster wherever you ride. The Carbon frame does feel really nice and takes the final chatter out of the trail.
The e150 fork is very easy to service, use slick honey and it will be plush as anything out there. It's a great tracking fork and stiff. As usual the 4bar suspension gives you control on those rough and rutted tracks.
I was very lucky to have a great deal on the frame only without seat post and swapped all the parts from my 08 Expert.

Similar Products Used: 2007 Enduro SL Pro, 2008 Enduro SL Expert
2006 S-Works Enduro. 04 Gemini 2000. 575 Heckler.
Bobbyincle   Weekend Warrior [Jun 27, 2008]
Strength:

Looks. Weight. Great on the climbs, eats anything on the descents. More up to date and better developed than anything else, (Santa Cruz/Intense... look here to see the future).

I wanted to swop my 80 mm stem for a 60 mm. When the bike was new, Specialized UK didn't have them, when they came through I had to pay 60 quid to swop!

Swopped my '06 Sworks Enduro for this. Suspension is not quite as plush (v. marginal), but easily makes up on the climbs. Much less fatiguing on long rides. I couldn't be happier!

Similar Products Used: Most others.
Johs Cowley   Racer [May 09, 2008]
Strength:

Travil is amazing for the weight.
Shifters are crisp and smoothe.
Climbs like an angel, decends like a bat out of hell.
"Attitude Ajustment" feature
Beautiful bike (especially in brown)

Price

The aggressive XC bike buisness is on the rise, and this is Specialized's top of the line in that field.
Acuually this bike is probably the top of the line in this field totally.
Specialized really outdid themselves with the suspention. I was kind of specticle when I did not see a brand name fork and rear shock, but I was impressed.
I weode this bike for about 8 hours and I can not think of one thing I was criticle of.

THIS THING CLIMES BETTER THAN MOST 4-5 INCH TRAVIL BIKES.

The "attitude ajustmen" feature works well, and is easy to use. Specialized was the first to come out with this idea and I believe that Fox's 2009 line will be using a similer feature.

However, one thing that we cant avoide is the price. I highly reccomend this bike but if you cant come up with the cash i reccomend GT's Sanction 1.0, which rund arround $3300. Its a great bike overall, and an awsome bike for the price.

But if you really want to be ahead of the game, and get a bike that every other brand will soon be copying, go with this bike and if you have the money you will not regret it.

Good work Specialized.

Similar Products Used: Marin QUAD Trail
Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC90
GT Sanction 1.0

Thsi bike has the above biks beat in every catigory except price.
Jim   Weekend Warrior [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

Awesome machine. Basically, the past reviews recap everything I would say. I got a smoking deal. My buddy's kid got caught dealing drugs, so the father sold me the bike for 1500. The kid bought it with drug money, so I made out!

none that i can see.

Bada$$ ride. Maybe overpriced? But not for me.

Jeff j   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2007]
Strength:

28 Ibs and six amazing inches of travel. Well balanced, stable. Specialized customer service.

No tubeless from factory. Stock tires not my first choice.

Okay, I'm smirking right now just thinking about riding this thing. To start, this bike climbs excellent. Just lock down the fork and firm up the rear shock, and you're on a great climbing cross country bike. Descending on this bike is extremely stable and the suspension eats up just about anything you can point it at. It's truly quite amazing. The fork and shock work in harmony far better than any other bike I've ridden (and I'm not just saying this because I invested $6K). I'm always pushing the limits on descents and my Jekyll was starting to limit me. On this bike, I feel I still have a lot of room to grow. The best part is I'm getting to the top faster and still have more energy left for the descent.

A few things to note.. First, I unknowingly took delivery of my bike with a defective air cartridge in the fork. This seemed to be a known problem from Specialized. Rock and Road switched it out in five minutes and it hasn't leaked a pound since. Two months later the compression/rebound adjustment broke on the rear shock. Again, Rock and Road took care of it and it's been fine since. No major inconveniences and I knew I was taking some risk in buying the new shocks the first year on the market. I just hope Specialized will take care of their customers after the warranty expires shall any problems arise.

Bottom line is this is quite an amazing bike that you appreciate more over time when realize its true capabilities. I've had mine 3 months and still amazed every ride.

Similar Products Used: Jekyll 1000, Felt Virtue, Ibis Mojo, 03 Enduro Expert
Judson Cole   Weekend Warrior [Feb 12, 2007]
Strength:

Front end is built like a tank. Suspension works great.

(1) Cost!! (2)Proprietary 25mm hub limits you on any other wheel Options (3) Dual Upper Crown fork bumps the frame on very tight turns. During normal riding I haven't been limited by this...on a tight switchback you have a good chance of it bumping. (3)No Tubless Wheels on a $7k bike...WHAT???

(1) I feel compelled to justify why I spent $7k+ on a bike....my 2003 Enduro works was stolen and this was basically a "replacement" bike from Insurance...otherwise I would be in the $3500 market (2) From the published/rumored specs (~27lb) I was expecting this to be a perfect All mountain bike but upon actually getting it I'm finding it leans more toward DH than XC...I'd compare it to a Nomad like feel...it's on the beefy side, I measure mine at 29.7lbs. BOTTOM LINE - It's beefier than I expected and I think I've got some bike I can grow into and get much more aggresive on...

Similar Products Used: 2003 Enduro S-Works, 2006 Scott Ransom SL demo, Stumpjumpers 04-07 Expert to S-Works, 2007 Yeti 575
Fred Jorgensen   Weekend Warrior [Jun 12, 2007]
Strength:

Low weight, excellent frame and suspension. Front stiffness, well balanced. DT Rims/hubs no problem, but need some time to prove it.

Stock parts are not 'all mountain' caliber. Fortunately I just got the frame, so not much wasted, but my comments relate to the complete bike. Stock tires are useless. Stock handlebar is too low. Layback Thompson seatpost means it cannot be completely dropped for steeps, so tried straight 30.9 post, but because the seat tube narrows, it cannot be dropped completely either! So I ended up with a straight Diablus 27.2 with a shim. (Diablus has a slight layback for proper reach). Magura Marthas are too lightweight IMHO. Cross country 959 pedals on an all mountain bike?

The best all mountain bike I ever owned after getting the right setup.
I think Specialized must have had a '27 lbs fetish' with all the X-country stock parts.
Mine weighs in just over 29, but I'm happy in any terrain and trail conditions.
Expensive, so value is 4! Lot's of money to be saved with the aluminum Enduro SLs, with very little weight penalty!

Similar Products Used: Foes FXR 2.1, Ellsworth Joker, Giant AC1, TREK Session 77, S-Works Epic.
Raul Hevia   Weekend Warrior [Jun 09, 2007]
Strength:

Too many to list, but here's a few. Geometry design, SUSPENSION!!, components, CARBON FIBRE FRAME. SRAM shifters and derrailleurs, performance... on and on.
Read The Bottom Line.

Pricey! But you get what you pay for. I have had it less than a month. The wheelset is supposed to be very strong and lightweight, This bike weighs in at 27 lbs.! (not a weakness of course) Maybe the wheelset is not strong enough for 8 foot drops, I couldnt assure that, but, then you should probably be riding an 8-9 inch travel bike. Check with the manufacturer about that.

I owned a 2006 Enduro Sworks for 1 1/2 seasons and threw any kind of trail with less than 4 foot drops to it (not that the bike was not capable of bigger drops) and ate it up like cake. I descended faster than any rider with 6 inch travel bikes or less. I pedaled up great and kept up with most everybody uphill. I was really satisfied with my investment, but, then came the new 07 Enduro SL ...

This new Enduro SL is better than any bike I have used and owned in every respect. The suspension is so much superior than Fox RC32 Talas and Fox Float 5.0, plus their customer service is B or C rated in my opinion (sorry Fox). It makes every technical obstacle 15 to 20% easier it almost takes away the challenge. It pedals better than my previous bike and, it descends faster. After skidding downhill to make a hairpin or tight turn the bike falls in the right place to track on forward. I am going a lot faster uphill and even more downhill. I am really impressed with the performance of this bike. The geometry is a big improvement on last years Enduro, it fits like a glove everywhere on the trail.
I lost regard for safety going downhill at high speeds due to my confidence on this bike. I would see an obstacle as I descended and would think "Thats a tough one... I better slow down... Oh, maybe not, my bike will tackle it for me...

Trails in my area are very technical ranging from high speed singletracks to tight technical rock obstacles, slow speed tracking.
And with a lifetime warranty on the frame and Specialized's excellent customer service, who cares if the frame cracks or brakes? I get it replaced for free no questions asked.

I do not beleive there is anything better out there in the "All Mountain" category. Specialized comes through again!

I will keep riding and posting reviews as time goes on.

Similar Products Used: 2006 Enduro S Works, Santa Cruz VP Free, Santa Cruz Heckler, Gary Fisher Sugar 3+ Disc, Giant NRS.