Specialized Enduro Expert All Mountain Full Suspension

FSR rear suspension paired with Fox shocks front and rear guarantees the Expert equally excellent small bump performance and big hit absorption.

• Custom Fox RP23-S shock features position-sensitive Boost Valve damping, low-speed compression damping with 3-way adjustable “open” and “climbing” settings - meaning, great bump performance and solid climbing efficiency
  • Buttery smooth Fox 36 Float R 160mm fork with 20mm thru-axle, tapered alloy steerer, and rebound adjust is stiff, super light, and strong for all-mountain madness
  • Newly revamped for increased stiffness, the Roval Traverse AL all-mountain wheelset, with DT Swiss internals and 20mm thru-axle, offers mountain-leveling durability and light weight
  • Super light, custom SRAM Carbon S-2200 10-speed double crankset with GXP spindle, Gamut shift guide and removable spider for stiffness, performance, and durability
  • Avid Elixir CR SL lightweight hydraulic disc brakes/levers with alloy backed semi-metallic pads and tool-free reach and pad contact adjustment for superb control and modulation
  • Specialized Command Post is a 3-position adjustable-height seatpost with remote lever for on-the-fly changes to riding position; 125mm travel

Dave   All Mountain Rider [Nov 23, 2014]
Strength:

Rides like a motorcycle, eats up rocks and roots. Fork is unflappable.

A little springy at times but you can adjust it. Honestly, who cares, not me.

This bike is amazing. I have decent hardtails, stumpjumper and a heavily modified rockhopper with a reba. I have thudbusters on them so they are fairly comfortable. The thing is, the enduro rides over rocks a lot better, the hardtails get bounced around the enduro does not. I never noticed flex in my Rebas until after riding the enduro, it's like a motorcycle fork. The bike isn't even all that heavy considering what it can do. Yes, it is expensive for A1, but used on the right day it's a great deal.

Similar Products Used: Stumpjumper HT, Rockhopper with reba added.
NAYR751   Downhiller [Sep 03, 2012]
Strength:

To put it simply, this bike rides like a DH bike but allows you to peddle to the top. The geometry, and suspension design allows you to throw your bike into the gnarliest of lines and come out clean. I've ridden this bike in every environment, from Northstar rocks to fast flowy single track and it's very difficult if not impossible to find a bike that excels as well as the Enduro in all conditions. If you are a rider that likes to haul the mail and can only afford one bike, this is without a doubt it.
Good:
1) Geometry
2)Ability to plow through anything like a DH bike
3)Built to last. I ride my bikes hard, and have trashed this bike and it's still going strong. After a year and a half of shuttling, lift riding, and local xc riding(which may as well be downhilling as well) the bike has no dents in the frame and only a few minor scratches. The frame bearings are all still good, and the frame has no noticeable flex when riding hard.

The Bad: There are 5 things that I don't really like about the Enduro. Some can be easily changed but some cannot.
1) The cable routing under the frame. This is not really a problem if you don't shuttle, or ever throw your bike over a tailgate, but I really wish bicycle companies would consider this when designing the cable routing.
2)The shock: I debated putting this in the bad category as it does do many things well, but if you are an aggressive/heavier rider, the shock has a tendency to blow through the travel on harder hits(G outs, small drops, big square edge bumps)
3)The offset specialized stem. Over time, the spacer for the stem will decide it's worn out and you will literally be able to flex your handlebars up and down a half inch. Ditch the specialized stem and buy a Thompson.
4)Not coming with a travel adjust fork. This bike will climb much better with a travel adjust fork(Specialized specced the 2012 enduro expert with a travel adjust fork). On steeper climb the bike makes you feel like your riding a wheelie. This is a give and take though. The geo of the bike yields amazing DH performance so it's understandable the way the bike climbs. From personal experience a travel adjust fork will make this thing a much more eager climbing machine.
5) The Specialized seat will eventually start to creak; get a new one. Also, if you are using a Specialized Command Post, crank the bolt that holds the seat in place five times harder than you would anything else, or your seat will self adjust.

Overall Review:

Overall, you want this bike if you are a gravity focused rider that can only have one bike. If you have a DH bike and are looking for a trail bike, look for a smaller bike. The only reason I say that is because this bike climbs like a pig compared to other bikes in its class. The Nomad, Ibis Mojo, etc all pedal much better. The tradeoff is the Enduro rides down the trail better. Personally, I will be selling this bike to get a lighter, more XC friendly bike at the end of the year, but that is because I have a DH bike to ride, and this bike creates some overlap in the bike stable.But, in summary, this bike is rad. You will not be disappointed if you buy one.

Similar Products Used: Santa Cruz Nomad
Grant   All Mountain Rider [Jun 07, 2012]
Strength:

This bike is absolutely perfect for me. The first time I rode it on a rocky, loose downhill, I actually laughed out loud because of how smooth the ride was. Then going uphill it does the job just fine. You're not gonna blow doors off any XC guys uphill but who cares. I couldn't ask for a better bike.

Stock tires are grippy but wear out pretty fast.

I love this bike.It makes my wife jealous.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Rize
Menny   All Mountain Rider [May 18, 2012]
Strength:

This bike is great in descending and will bring you down very fast, the FSR suspension is amazing for descending singles and dropping off !

The front wheel wander in climbing, the FSR is bobbing in climbing (I always need to use the pro-pedal), bike tend to lend "noisy" in drops and the front wheel tend to lose traction in corners, even when descending !

This Review is for Enduro Expert 2010, M size. This bike is not the ideal bike for beginners! the rider need to be very skill in order to control it…

Similar Products Used: Giant Reign
L-train   All Mountain Rider [Mar 05, 2012]
Strength:

Do-everything capable. Fun, fast and stable.

Suspension needs tightening from time-to-time, command post doesn't really work that great (after a year), some paint chips that look like ass.

I like to customize my bikes, but I bought it used fairly stock (except for the fork) and I was blown away at the ride right out of the gates. Uphills were a breeze and found myself staying with much fitter people because I was actually putting the power down vs. bobbing all the time. On the decent, it felt as capable as my DEMO although some credit has to go to the banger fork upgrade. I rode a friends Nomad and the Enduro descends better, is livelier and they climb about the same even though the Nomad is a bit lighter.

Made the change to a 1x10 and it was a good move, don't really need the extra gearing and I've found that I really have just given up the extremities that were rarely used anyway. Quiet descending and easy pop of the release on the seat to get it out of the way or bring it back up is phenomenal for the undulating terrain. Love the slack head-tube angle and the seat-tube angle which is very efficient and a nice balance between freeride and XC. I will have no problem taking this bike to Whistler bike park this summer, its that tough...although I might get an extra set of DH wheels just in case...

We ride very demanding trails in awful conditions (snow, rain, mud, etc...) and the Enduro seems to be holding up really well (aside from a few unsightly paint chips). Highly recommend for the all-mountain ripper who earn their descents.

Similar Products Used: SX Trail, Norco Range, Nomad
Tystevens   Weekend Warrior [Feb 07, 2012]
Strength:

Geometry, strong component set, Command post, tubeless ready

Carbon cranks?

This has been an awesome bike so far. Everyone's first question -- how does it climb? In my opinion, it climbs as well or better than should be expected from a bike this downhill-capable. No bobbing fromthe suspension, seat tube angle helps me get the right position when pedaling seated. Lots of suspension action when pedaling standing up, but that is to be expected. Climbs easily as well as my last bike, and doesn't deter me from riding where I want to ride, which is all I ask for.

But like all the reviews say, the downhill is where this bike really shines. After only 8 rides, I already have lots more confidence in riding where and how I want to ride. Geometry feels great, I'm in the perfect position to navigate the tough spots, and I feel comfortable really letting 'er rip. Nothing huge or crazy so far (can't wait for summer!), but the smaller stunts and drops that aren't under the snow yet have never been easier. And even as a Clydesdale rider, I feel confident that this bike will handle anything I have the guts to throw at it.

Comes with some nice odds and ends, too. Command Post is a great addition -- something I never knew I needed. Same with tubeless-ready wheels and tires, which are very easy to get set up and ride. The carbon cranks don't really make sense on a bike built to be burly like this one, and I'll have some concerns bashing them on a rocky ride like Porcupine, but I guess we'll see how they last.

Value might not be great at msrp compared to the other bikes out there, but I got mine as a end-year clearance, and got a great deal, so this bike's value is off the charts for what I paid for it.

Similar Products Used: Jamis XLT 2.0
pieroglif   Weekend Warrior [Dec 20, 2011]
Strength:

dual geometry, weight, finish

None found yet

Not being to compare the bike to others, it's extremely easy to say it's the best bike I have ridden. However, I have demo'ed a few more and honestly, Spec Enduro excels at what I need most - the ability to climb anything, not necessarily at the fastest pace, but effectively, and bomb down the track while going down hill. The custom setup is of course nothing close to the stock one, but the frame is one important part - the size M top tube is just fit for me - 5'10'' long legs and arms, 170 lbs, and the bottom bracket sits high enough to go past the rocks on my trails. Also, its long wheel base gives me stability on descents.

Stumpy Destroyer   Weekend Warrior [Dec 11, 2011]
Strength:

Very solid bike. Very light weight for an all mountain machine.

Stock brakes.

This is the first bike I've owned that feels secure for me. I'm 6'2, 220 pounds, I ride mostly a mix of XC, Freeride and Downhill and generally put a lot of stress on things. I have not felt any signs of strain yet. It climbs really well and handles everything I've thrown at it.
Right out of the box the Avid brakes have needed bleeding after every ride. When bled right the Avid's worked great. My LBS has continued to work on them under warranty but I decided to swap them for some new XT's anyways. This doesn't hinder my thoughts about the bike and I still give it a 5 out of 5.
If you want a bike that can do almost everything this is the bike.

Similar Products Used: Trek Fuel EX
stompeinator   Racer [May 17, 2009]
Strength:

Strong, light enough to climb, with dhx5 air pumped up climbs like a champ

none whatsoever if you ride it like i do

Best bike i have ever owned. You can pick up one of these frames cheap , although you can only buy used now =/(RIP true enduros), and they are bomb-proof while still practical. I climb this bike right up with 21 lb. cross country racers and ride down faster than guys on 8inch DH rigs. Best all-mountain bike you can purchase on a budget, because nomad=ridiculously expensive.