Specialized Enduro Elite All Mountain Full Suspension

• Lighter Avid Juicy 5, hydraulic disc brakes
  • SRAM X-9, mid cage rear derailleur
  • SRAM X-7 Trigger, 9-speed shifters

TonynTexas   Cross Country Rider [Aug 22, 2010]
Strength:

It is a tank...killer looks...stock it rocks or upgrade to add your own style it still rocks

That rear shock has stuck on me twice and had to be rebuild..one time over three years...not to bad

This is an update to this bike I wrote a few years ago..I have been recently looking at getting another FS Bike but have not found anything new that floats my boat like this one did..IMO this is still one of the best all mountain bikes that Specialized or anyone else made...and compared to the newer models it still looks killer..it reminds me of the old school dude that still can kick arse with the new boys..I have rode it..wrecked it...hit trees..dropped it..tossed it..rolled it..name it..it has seen it..and the ridiculous everytime I clean it it looks awesome..the one big grip I had where the tires..they just sucked for keeping speed on the trails when they got flat..I threw on some Maxis 2.1 tires and it rolls and handles alot better and feels a little lighter when hammering it...I plan on ditching the bash gaurd and going with a triple setup like race face or similar even though the bash guard has saved it a few times..I decided to write this follow up because I truly believe in this bike...if you can find a used one snag it and ride the crap out of it..I was all set to get a new bike..but cant find one yet that would take the place of this beast...this is an honest review of a great bike and I have owned some suck bikes and equipment and bit the bullet on the purchase..this is bike in my book is a classic from Specialized and it is Heavy Metal all the way.

Similar Products Used: A few XC bikes
Quimmerman   Weekend Warrior [Sep 25, 2009]
Strength:

Lots of metal on the frame... Really its built like a tank. Have put it through its paces on jumps, drops, and all manner of lions, tigers and bears (oh no!) with few whinges. good stability at speed and in descent. The anchors on this bad boy pull up like nothing else. Dual ring setup and bash guard has saved replacing a 3rd ring several times.
Good gearing- will never look at shimano mechs again. Actually climbs ok, especially in the tech stuff. point it at the bumps and go.

Lots of metal on the frame... Can be a bit heavy on the uphills but then thats the kind of beast it is.
Stupid rear shock stroke length. BB had to be replaced soon after purchase cos it was poo and broke (warranty job from a bad batch). Some money saved on build in places- hubs, head set, stem etc. Dualie can be a bit noisy.
Stock front end used to feel a bit wobbly compared to the rest of the bike.

With a little tweaking this can be made into a total WEAPON of a bike. I now know I'll never be able to out- ride this bike. A good choice for light FR and maybe touching on some DH. Its an ALL MOUNTAIN bike and does exactly what it says on the tin.

Similar Products Used: GT Force, Stumpy- ok so not THAT similar...
qazwsx   Weekend Warrior [Mar 16, 2009]
Strength:

Awesome

My only gripe is that rear shock suffered a stuck down position within the first five miles of trail. Sent it back and got it promptly. The saddle sucked a$$ had to go.

This bike rocks! Its a little heavy for tough technical climbing and my riding buddy can whoop my @$$ with his stumpjumper fsr but when we go back down the trail he just can't keep up. The saddle sucks but most of us upgrade from the stock anyway. If you want a solid trail bike for a killer price this is the bike for you.

Similar Products Used: Specialized Enduro SL, Stumpjumper, SX Trail 2, and demoed a Pitch
PA All Mtn Man   Weekend Warrior [Jan 11, 2009]
Strength:

Everything. I have taken this bike in stock form to Diablo Freeride Park, and Snowshoe West Virginia. It took everything at both parks I was man enough to hit, and kept on flying. For the price and the build kit you get its really a good value. You get fsr suspension, avid, sram, and FOX front and rear. I love it.

The saddle had to go. Within the first week of ownership, rear shock suffered stuck down condition. Sent back to fox, and it was handled. Works great.

If you think this bike looks like you could litterally fly on it....your absolutely right. Just looking at this bike sitting in my apartment makes me wanna ride. Ride this bike and you will think your Matt Hunter. Haha. Maybe not. I find myself searching each trail for little things I can use as a jump. I am actually thinking about buying another frame, for when this one craps out. Sux they dont offer this frame design anymore. I would recommend this bike to anyone looking for a solid all mountain machine. Just riding this bike will make a novice feel like a pro. If your looking for a cross country racer, look elsewhere. This bike climbs alright, if you take your time. It is possible to bust a lung trying to keep up to someone up a climb on a four inch carbon bike. But they best get out the way on the downhills, cuz you'll eat them for lunch.

Similar Products Used: First dually, nothing to compare to.
paallmtnman   Weekend Warrior [Jan 11, 2009]
Strength:

Just about everything. I've taken this bike in stock form to Diablo Freeride Park, and Snowshoe. It took everything I was man enough to hit and kept on flyin. I absolutely love this bike. The way it looks just makes me wanna ride. This is my first dually, and I was pleasently surprised. I acrually thought about buying another frame for when this one craps out. Sux they dont offer this frame style anymore.

Within first week: rear shock suffered stuck down condition. Sent back to fox, taken care of. Other than that NOTHING.

If you think this looks like a bike you could shred on...Your right. Get this bike and I promise you will think your Matt Hunter. Haha. Well maybe.

Similar Products Used: First dually, nothing to compare to.
Rob B   Weekend Warrior [Aug 26, 2008]
Strength:

Price, great standard features, do-it-all bike, 32lbs with XL frame, great on wide variety of trails.

No lock-out on rear shock - would be even more versatile for running XC trails, tracking on uphill.

Great bike for my first $1000+ model. Runs downhill and hills great, able to handle most technical stuff with speed. Fall behind my buddy on smooth XC trails (he has a carbon frame hard-tail)...but I blow him away when it comes to downhill and rough/technical trail. Low BB height does require my attention at times. At 175lbs I feel the Fox DHX Air 4.0 may be near max for rough riding (I use max recommended PSI) - not sure how well it will do for heavier riders. I havn't had it bottom out.

BILL   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 2008]
Strength:

Price, build kit frame and shocks.

brakes I am used to much bigger breaks being an ex downhiller/4xer. Pluse I weigh 240lbs

great trail bike one of the best I have ridden.

Similar Products Used: Santacruz Heckler
Mrhappy   Weekend Warrior [Jul 12, 2008]
Strength:

Great Trail Bike. Climbs hills easily. Love the way it looks. I bought this bike on close out last December. This bike was awesome in the snow. I tear it up on the singletrack.

rear tire always rubbing . Heavy

somewhat dissapointed, everytime the tire rubs from regular riding. Any way too fix this? I would like to try a few different bikes now. This was my first Full Suspension bike. There are so Many awesome bikes to choose from nowadays.
Good luck, and find a good LBS. Service after you buy the bike is key!
go,go,go!

Will   Downhiller [Sep 05, 2007]
Strength:

In one word, versatile. In a few more: Perfect geometry. Light enough to be agile and climb well, tough enough for proper downhill racing. Corners like it's on rails. A couple of modifications make the world of difference

A couple of modifications make the world of difference! Due to it's length, it's a bit cumbersome in the air and on switch backs. But come on you can't always have your cake and eat it!

A few key upgrades make this the ultimate do everything bike. If this was a frame review it would get 5/5 in both counts but as it could do with a few key upgrades I'm gonna give it a 4. If you have to buy one bike, make it the older style Enduro. Don't buy the new one as it's pants! (or underwear if you're american)

Similar Products Used: As I said in a previous review, it crosses almost every boundary, so in a way it's similar to every bike I've ridden
Alex Arcega   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2007]
Strength:

This bike transistioned me from a timid cross coutry trail guy to the dukes of hazzard. It's slack geometry and low center of gravity helps it dive through turns while having just enough travel to keep from bucking you off on those tooth chattering descents. It's weight I found was an asset to the bike. Having that little extra to drag up hills really increased my stregth and endurance. All and all"the bike made me take risks and increased my confidence"If you want to push your limits a little ad do some minor stunts and drops,this is the bike for you

"the bike made me take more risks and increased my confidence" someone should have mentioned it won't help your judgement.If you're picky about every little gram,look away because this thing is built like a light amoured vehicle.

It's my do any thing,deal with any terrain bike.If I'm riding a familiar trail with docile terrain,I'll ride my XC.If I'm riding into the unknown and more hotile terrain,it's the enduro all the way.It's bullet proof and has survived everything I've thrown at it.