Scott Genius 20 All Mountain Full Suspension

• 2 Travel position / 150 - 120mm travel
  • 12.30 kg / 27.09 lbs

• User Reviews (3)

wipeout2008   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2011]
    Strength:

Versatile, very good all round bike(if you only have one bithe, this is the one). Light for 150mm travel, Good components. Tough. Great on climbs

This review if for the 2009 Genius 40

This bike does everything well. I used it for 2yrs as my XC race bike now I use it mostly as my park bike. Was at first very twitchy doing DH. Put wider bars and now it rides great. To me if you only own one bike, this is it. It is very tough, never had any issues with it other then a broken derailleur hanger. I set up the front/back suspensions and have never had to touch them since. A bit tricky to set up but once you got it is sweet. A 4" travel the bike is stiff like a XC race bike and geometry is aggressive. Switch to 6" and geometry relaxes and the suspension front/back becomes much more mellow.

I highly recommend this bike for week end warriors, trail riders and all mountain riders, which is about 90% of us.

Similar Products Used: Various Scott and other brands mostly XC bikes.
    DIOGO   Weekend Warrior [May 04, 2011]
    Strength:

I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?

I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?

Similar Products Used: I could pass the site of the store that you buy the bike?
    midas   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2011]
    Strength:

durable carbon construction that eats up trail "chatter", accelerates like no other, great pop for jumps

where to start? awfull rear shock (hard to set-up, no way to know how much travel you use, expensive to service, inconsistent performance, unreliable), too much travel for xc-racing, too nervous for all-mountain riding, little small bump compliance, slack seatpost angle.

This is my review of the 2009 model of the Genius 30 as this is the nearest category for it.

I bought this bike believing it to be in the 'all-mountain' category as Scott descibed it at the time.
    It was so much better in almost every way than my previous Scott MC-40 that for the first months of riding it I was enthusiastic about it.
    It actually helped me progress with my riding, as it was enough confidence-inspiring to try my first drops, bunny hops, laying it into turns etc.
    BUT, as I started trading bikes with friends, I noticed that I was going much faster on their bikes, and that at the end of the ride they would always complain about how nervous the ride on the Genius was.

For my height, with the front fork set at max travel, the handlebars are 8cms lower from the seat, that alone indicates an aggressive racing position (but then, why the slack seatpost angle?).
    To cut a long story short, I think that the Genius is targeted towards a very specific target, ie a rider that needs a light long-travel race bike,
    for those races where there is technical riding involved - and for that I would suggest that you go for the higher models. (I did ride the 10 which is lighter & stiffer, now THAT is a bike with a purpose)
    The Genius design is half trail/half race bike, there are lots of better bikes for trail riding - every other bike I did have the chance to ride was more suited to it.
    Finally, I should mention that I have blown one shock pump (as you have to pump the shock at really high pressure each time before a ride) & two rear shocks and that DTSwiss each time replaced them under guarantee.

I'm not going to give it top marks because of the rear shock and also because of the poor rear-wheel traction. Does that matter to a XC-racer? you decide.
    Also, I think that for what it costs, you get a top quality frame plus a very good selection of components, so I'm giving it four chillis for value for money

Similar Products Used: older 'MC' version, Giant Trance, Giant Reign, Yeti 575, Spec Enduro SL, Turner 5Spot, 2010 Genius 10