Saracen RAW 3 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Wheelset: EX-S extreme use rim
  • Brakes: New HAYES SOLE hydraulic disc brakes
  • Crankset: Truvativ X-flow on new power spline bottom bracket

Alon   Weekend Warrior [Apr 27, 2010]
Strength:

Great for downhill rides. The suspension moves and changes perfectly.

Worst for uphill rides. Heavy !!!

Try cutting off about 2 Kg.

An Amature Freerider   Weekend Warrior [Aug 18, 2009]
Strength:

Good looks
Pretty good brakes
Ok tyres
Good rear suspension design
Adjustable dampning on the rear shock.

Weight
Forks
Plastic pedals

I got this bike for nothing as I chose it as a replacment when my Scott YZ1 was stolen so I can't really complain on price.

I have been learning how to ride more extreme terrain on my Saracen and I have had no major problems with the bike. It has held up well hitting rock gardens, jumps and some small drops but there are some things which let this bike down.

Mainly being used to a Hardtail I find the weight a bit heavy for my liking. I have been getting used to this as time goes on. If you were stronger i doubt this would be as big a problem.

My main big problem with this bike is the stock fork. The Marzocchi MZ Race fork is horrid. I am quite heavy being 13 stone and they dive half way through their stroke when i sit on the bike. This is not good when riding as it effectivley reduces the travel by half. Surely Saracen could have at least put a decent fork on the bike as stock.

Second is the stock pedals? I honestly don't get the reasoning of Saracen to do this. Tektro Hydraulic brakes but plastic pedals. For £500 I would expect some decent flats. In the wet these things are hell. I can't keep my feet on the pedals for love nor money. Quick fix I have not gotten round to doing.

But even with the flaws this bike has taught me alot about riding and for a begginer with a low budget could be a suitable bike. I have ridden this bike now for a year and i have realised one thing. You can't get a good full Susser for £500.

It's Impossible.

Similar Products Used: Club Roost DH8 w/Rock Shox Boxxers
Jamie   Cross Country Rider [Jun 30, 2009]
Strength:

cheap and a good all rounder, it has quite a nice feel to it and looks great while youre riding it

not much good for jumping and ive cracked my headset apart from that no problems

great bike for the money, I dont do serious riding but this bike has given me lots of confidence. I havnt had any of the problems that other people have had apart from the headset so overall good

Similar Products Used: none
evansy boy   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2009]
Strength:

frame-tine and only one pivot system, but very strong and resonsive, rear shock a tad soft.

poor choice of forks, ok, they're marzocchies but its an all mountain bike, and they put light xc forks on???

great preforming bike for the money, cheap and easy way to get into the sport. however, if you are a serious rider, i e upgrading your bike, dont' just get it becuase its a cheap full susser. i'm only 14 and i've managed to work that out. the forks don't hold up to vigourous am riding. i've ridden it everywhere, and it's taken it all, but as soon as jumps come into it, it fails. the forks bottom out straight away and you have to fight to save your self from up ending. (this isn't landing forks first either) we're not even talking big dirt jumps, just 2-3 foot trail jumps. the more you ride the forks, the more they knacker, and i keep getting huge play on the front wheel. the cones are ground to a pulp and the bearings are flat. new hub coming up!
if you were to buy this bike as a full susser, i recomed you buy a pair of rockshox argyles to go with it, as they are solid cheap freeride forks that can take a beating, anda new rear brake with a 180 rotor as it is just not powerfull enough. for this you get a brilliant preforfming bike for under £750.
although the spec is low, the drive chain all holds together and i am pretty impressed with it. like i said though, needs new forks...they just let it down

Similar Products Used: nothin,
Yam50   Cross Country Rider [Apr 26, 2009]
Strength:

Price, build quality, looks, brakes, downhill ability

Weight

This is a superb bike for the money and a credit to Saracen. It is a touch heavy but when you get to the top are you in for a treat. I am by no means a skilled downhiller but friends of mine who run quality hardtails can`t keep up with me such is the confidence you get from this bike.
Mine is used every other day without any problem. Rocks, jumps, water, mud, nothing has given it so much as a scratch.

If you want a reasonably priced full sus then this is the bike!

Similar Products Used: GT
kylep943   Downhiller [Dec 19, 2008]
Strength:

nothin

apsolutly everythin its an apsoilutly s*** bike

the sarcen raw 3 2008 f***in s*** bike iv had for 3 months an i do light downhill on it 30 to 40 second long runs. an iv broke apsolutly everythin on it apart form snapping the frame.
1) 6 deralier hangers adding up to £132 of hangers in 2 months
2)burst shock on first ride so got an xfusion vector for £130
3)seized bearing in pedals so dmr v8 were bough
4) snapped sram sx4 for i spent £70 on a sram x7
5) weels buckled, bearing going
6) cracked headset meaning i got an fsa pig
7) burst seals in rear brake meanin im goin out later an buyin an avid juicy 5
8)crankset and bottom bracket apsolutly f*ucked
so dont even thing about gettin this bike unless you are only doing road riding. only rason i bought it is because i was desperate for a cheap full sus. but the week efter i bought it i found specialised big hits on ebay for £500 an that . so dont buy this bike unless u like speding stupid amounts of money on repairs

Similar Products Used: ...
brad4922   Downhiller [Aug 12, 2008]
Strength:

Is a good looking bike and looks like its up for everything

every thing snaps ive managed to brake a dropout with out it hitting something. ive broken the head set cycling it about.

after all that i dont think i would rush back at all to buy it again and saracen really do need to think about sorten that bike back before they get a bad name.
i think this bike would be best suited for a young child to cycle about the park on.

Similar Products Used: lots of bikes
Deano   Weekend Warrior [Jan 22, 2007]
Strength:

Fairly lightweight bike, good hydraulic disc brakes & Didn't cost me anything!

My Saracen Havoc 2003 was stolen from my local bikeshop so they supplied this as a replacement. I picked the bike up and on the way home the Left (plastic) pedal snapped, on the way back to the shop the right pedal snapped too. When I arrived back at the shop the shock was leaking oil too.
The pedals and shock was then replaced.
After about a week, the shock started leaking again so once again it was replaced. After a further week, the rear derailleur sheared off and wrapped itself around the back wheel, which again was repaired. This lasted for about 4 more weeks and sheared off again.

Seems to be a lower quality bike with a suspect build quality. Maybe I've just been very unlucky. I would be interested to hear other people's views on the RAW3. I'm just glad I didn't pay for it!

Similar Products Used: Saracen Havoc 2003 - Heavier but much more durable and with a far better build quality.