Santa Cruz Nomad All Mountain Full Suspension

Santa Cruz Nomad All Mountain Full Suspension

165mm of travel, 65 degree head angle with very short chaint stays complements this 1x11 only bike

[Jan 12, 2016]
fc
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Incredible descender
One of the best climbers for this amount of travel
slack head angle and steep seat angle complement the perfect carving geometry
Materials, construction and pivots are first rate
Cable routing is not only good in use but in installation

1x11 only is narrows the sweet sport for terrains and rider types
price is on the upper end of the spectrum
could use wider rims

This bike continues to lead the charge. It gets slacker every generation and really hits the needs of modern all mountain riding. The latest version now sports a head angle of 65 degrees yet it continue to be a good climber and fairly agile bike. Where the seat angle used to be 70 degrees, it is now 74 degrees to put the rider at a good pedaling position and keep the front from wandering during climbs.

It's really optimized for dropper posts as well with a 150mm drop for all sizes. The steep seat angle is negated on descents because the dropper gets it out of the way. It's the best of both worlds.

Suspension has been tuned with the new Fox stuff so it's really quite plush now on the initial stroke. Lateral stiffness and other handling traits are still golden.

It's not the plushest bike out there specially when pedaling hard on rocky terrain. But it is really quite responsive and capable

[Jun 02, 2015]
Matt L
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Climbing (air shock), bump absorption, bottomless couch (coil + push link), durability, fun! 5 flaming value chillis for a used bike, I would personally not spend the coin for new.

me? You really need to set the shock up correctly. seriously. And if you get another shock, make sure it's tuned for a VPP suspension!! This is so important. you can get away with a tune for the yeti switch (pre-2015), but anything else and you're toast. Just call Fox, rockshox, etc with the tune ID on the shock and they'll tell you.

I bought mine used, a 2011 aluminum nomad. It came with a push link and coil shock RC4. I swapped for an OEM rear link and fox float X. Climbing became way more efficient. I'm still fiddling with the shock settings, but it's getting close to dialed. I have a limited scope because my only other mtn bike was a salsa el mariachi (ht 29er). wow this thing is different. I'm the limiting factor here for sure. But it's wildly fun, looking forward to pushing my riding, getting some lift days and more chunky stuff in the desert. The frame itself is wildly light for how strong it is. I really dig the 26" wheels, so nimble. anyway, try one out and with the latest wheel size craze, the price on these is way low. two years ago this was THE bike, you can pick them up half price now. I bought mine for $2k used, the spent about $600-700 to get just what I wanted: flow rims, atlas bars, short stem, reverb, flat pedals, float x shock.

niner wfo

[Dec 27, 2012]
iipiki_okami
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Burly, Plush but somehow at the same time firm when it needs to be. Climbs VERY well for a multi-pivot 6" travel bike, VERY efficient downhiller!!

Heavey...but hey...it ain't a XC race bike, so really not an issue, It ain't cheap.

Got this bike while I was in Japan and as a result, I ended up doing a great deal of riding on pavement to trailhead and back again. This was a great trial to evaluate the duality in this bike's personality. What it's not: It's not a hardtail, and it's not a road bike so don't expect that...not why you bought it anyway....now with that in mind. What it IS...

6 inches of travel that you can actually pedal efficiently on flats, pavement, road climbs and not feel like you are wallowing in travel and wasting energy. Basically, if you have the legs to pedal up, it will get you there. If you are a stand up and hammer kind of guy you probably won't like this bike on the climbs...at least not in the little ring, but who stands up in the little ring anyway??!! LOL. If you're a sit down climber like me though, you will be VERY pleasantly surprised at how it climbs. Japan's riding is typically rooty and mild to moderately technical...and none of it posed an issue for this bike. Nothing a short travel bike couldn't handle either though. This past August I finally got to REALLY put the bike through it's paces. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in S. Lake Tahoe...we shuttled to the top, and rode the last bit to the summit...it did great on that portion of the ride but let me tell you...when the downhill started and the rocks drops and roots were coming at me....Yeah...that's when the bike shined. I can without doubt say that any section that I didn't clean was because I aborted on my own or rider error was the cause...the only limitation to what was rideable on that outing was my guts factor, NOT the bike build or performance...PERFECTION. By the way...I have the coil sprung version...yes, there's a weight penalty for it, but trust me...it's DEFINITELY worth the sacrifice....the DHX RC4 is the route to go if you don't care if the bike is more than 30lbs.

GT I-drive 2.0, Cannondale Jekyll 600,

[Oct 21, 2012]
Kayton

Strength:

Aggressive, climbing, descending, looks hot

I can't say enough good things about this bike! It climbs great and descends amazing, it makes me feel like I'm a better rider. It's light an nimble. By far my favorite bike of all.

[Sep 28, 2012]
MikeC41

Strength:

Downhill

Uphill, cross country

I bought this bike thinking it would do pretty well uphill as well as cross country since it is called an all mountain bike plus I read numerous reviews that said it does all of these well. I find that not to be true.

I get very tired after riding this bike on flat ground after just 10-15 minutes. Going uphill sucks on this bike.

This bike is suited for downhill at a bike park where they offer a ski lift to get up the mountain.

I rather ride my cross country 29er for flat and uphill terrain. It really is a night and day difference.

This bike is amazing at downhill however. A very firm, straight, solid ride. You are in total control going downhill.

I do not consider this an all around bike. Just my opinion. Test drive the bike first. If you can't, don't buy it.

[May 21, 2012]
Rob

Strength:

Nimble even with the longer legs. Straight as an arrow on single track and climbs up as well as it speeds down.

I can't ride it every day!

This bike really does do it all. I have not even broken it in yet. I have ridden the Butcher, Heckler, Tallboy LT, Superlight and the Blur LT. They are all great bikes but in my opinion, the Nomad is the most fun and versatile of all of these. Go get one.

[Nov 21, 2011]
Kerry

Strength:

Well balanced trail machine that does everything I ask it to.

None yet. Nothing but fun here.

Had ridden a Bullit in many different forms since 2002. It was an awesome bike that was 1 size too small once I got into more all mtn type riding. I'm 5'11" and moved to a large when I bought the Nomad. This is an awesome bike that is doing everything I need which is light freeride to a bit of XC. The Okanagan is perfect for an all mtn bike and the Nomad does it all so well especially now that I'm on a proper fitting bike. The Giant is a bit lighter duty and it showed but if I wasn't hitting as many jumps, it would've been an excellent choice for me. Anyways, the rocks plain and simple. Ride one and it won't dissapoint.

Light build '05 Bullit, Giant Reign 1 (2011)

[May 14, 2011]
pwrtrainer

Strength:

Great bike. I have the first generation with the 1.5 headtube. I came from a Specialized Pitch and didn't realize how much more intuitive the axle path is on the nomad until I descended. It climbs very well and handles my heavy behind nicely. All in all very pleased with the purchase and will likely buy another when the time comes.

Pedal bob when out of the saddle in the granny. I love the way the bike climbs, but sometimes this bobbing can lead to a bad line or a dab. No biggie, but it is there.

Great bike when a deal can be found. They are pricey, but I was "upgrading" my Specialized bikes very frequently simply because they were built very proprietarily. Every action voided every warranty. With the SC you still have that risk, but you can replace parts yourself and not void everything, or so I think. if you can find a lightly used 08 version, go for it. will last years to come and will likely just change the bearnings and keep going.

Specialized pitch, Intense 6.6.

[Mar 16, 2011]
jemmett75

Strength:

32lb 6.5 travel bike climbs well, even with me on it. Articulates and floats over obstacles. Appears to be an all around well oiled machine for what ever trail you choose.

The grease fitting design is moderate at best. They frequently come out of the pressed area of the lower link. Originally it was built with a hollow pin chain. I dont recommend this chain for any type of down hill. This caused significant chain rub/slap damage to the chain stay and front of the drive train. It also tweaked my front derailure a little. But these are parts not the actual bike.

I love this bike. My only downfall is not riding it as much as I would like to. It can handle any trail you face. The price will smack you, but if you really love riding it's worth saving up for. Craigslist will usually have this bike for a decent price range, but please do your research. Rackem!

06 Specialized Enduro Pro, 2011 SC Heckler

[Dec 22, 2010]
bserk
Downhiller

Strength:

Able to climb tall hills, descend like you mean it

fear of cracking the frame... White matt frame marks easily...

This is a heck of a lot stiffer than my other Nomad. But that just means taking those corners/berms becomes faster. Get your set up right and will cut like a hot knife thru butter down the trails. Climbs like my Mojo. The ULTIMATE do all bike. Nuff said.

Reign, Ransom Ltd, 08 Nomad