Santa Cruz Nickel All Mountain Full Suspension

Santa Cruz Nickel All Mountain Full Suspension

The five-inch travel Santa Cruz Nickel X9 2x10 Complete Bike fills the trail bike niche for those of us who appreciate refined manners without unnecessary complexity. What gives the Nickel its respected ride quality is Santa Cruz's APP suspension design, which provides a similar spring curve to the lauded VPP. In this offering, the Nickel is dressed in smart mix of SRAM's X9 and 2013 Easton EA70 components to keep its price reasonable and performance inspiring. The Nickel benefits from Actual Pivot Point (APP) suspension, which is the result of Santa Cruz's efforts to mimic the variable shock rate produced by its Virtual Pivot Point (VPP) suspension ? in a simpler and more cost-effective single-pivot design. What's so special about the VPP shock rate? It makes the first part of the travel plush and ultra-responsive to bumps, and the last part of the travel stiffer to avoid harsh bottom-out. To achieve a similar variable shock rate in the single-pivot Nickel, Santa Cruz added two links connecting the swingarm to the shock. These two links are the crux of the APP design, and they allow the Nickel to offer some of the superior ride characteristics of VPP suspension in a budget-friendly package. Those links ride on 15mm aluminum pivot axles, as does the swingarm, and they're fastened with locking collet heads to reduce any tolerance issues or loosening during use. Adding to the Nickel's durability and precision are smooth angular contact bearings. Controlling the APP is Fox's tried and true Float RL shock, a light and adjustable unit with a lockout and rebound adjustment. Up front, a Fox Float 140 RLC complements the Nickel's rear suspension, offering rebound, compression, and preload adjustments, with a lockout as well for efficient climbing. The Nickel rides on tough, light Easton EA70 XCT wheels with 2.25in Schwalbe Performance Rocket Ron tires. Twisting those wheels is a 2x10 SRAM X9 drivetrain, and stopping them is a set of Avid Elixir 9 hydraulic disc brakes. Easton's 2013 EA70 components comprise the handlebar, stem, and seatpost. A Selle Italia Kit Carbonio saddle provides a solid, comfortable pedaling platform. The Santa Cruz Nickel X9 2x10 Complete Bike is available in Black, Chocolate, Raw, Red, Sea Blue, White, and Yellow. It comes in sizes Small through X-Large.

[Aug 10, 2015]
Iesurfer
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Solid frame, good climber, nimble in the twisties, easy to pop off jumps, not too expensive!

Heavy frame. My 2x10 shimano gearing not the best suited for this bike 38t-26t front ,36-11t rear might have something to do with it.

Such a fun trail bike I built mine up. Scored a frame from Huck n roll before they got bought out.
Specs are float rear,front revelation front dual air 140mm, Easton xc 90 wheels, schwalbe HD front rock razor rear, shimano xt everything, Easton havoc riser bars, Easton stem, reverb seatpost. In retrospect the only thing I wish I done different is bought the butcher for more travel but this Nickel has been good fun I've ridden this for 3yrs and am just now considering an upgrade!

[Feb 18, 2014]
Killer Peyote

Strength:

Great suspension, fast at corners, perfect bike for the twisty fast paced Washington trails. Also, it doesn't accumulates too much mud, which makes it easy to wash. Came originally with a straight bar which I replaced with a riser bar, it made me feel the frame was little shorter than expected and that's why the change.

Little heavy, but me being 225 lbs doesn't helps my case. People complain about Avid Elixir 9 brakes, but mine are just fine, a little squeaky at the beginning but eventually just good and quiet.

It was a great deal for me. I got the full 10 speed X9 package from Competitive Cyclist with a Fox float 32 CDT and Easton wheels, seat post, stem and handlebar. Payed $2,350.- !!!

Specialized FSR XC Expert

[Oct 01, 2013]
NigeldMTB
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Corners great, climbs like a hardtail, suspension feels endless even with big hits, frame is super durable( feels rock solid), and I think it looks cool.

Paint chips and rubs very easily, slightly heavy but not noticeable when riding

I didn't get the kit but built my 2012 SC Nickel from the frame up. It was worth every penny I put into it. This is the best example I've seen of a do-anything bike. I'm a heavier rider and I am very rough on my toys, this bike has held up perfectly to everything I can throw at it.

[Feb 21, 2013]
Chet

Strength:

Rides great, climbs like my old hard tail (sc chameleon) and descends like a beast. I hadnt any harsh botteming out even jumping and doing some drops. Just smooth.

Maybe the weight, but that could be just my build. You don't feel the weight when climbing.

I got the rp23 version of the frame for 800ish so for what I paid for its in awesome value. I couldn't be more pleased. To bad they discontinued it.

[May 12, 2012]
mwestaway1

Strength:

Cannot think of any, maybe weight?

Avid Elixer 5 Brakes.

When I am not complaining about the brakes, ( Which have been solved BTW by changing the rotors from Avid BR1 to Cleansweep G2 .) Otherwise I love this bike. It has not been completely trouble free going back into the shop for creaks from pivots. But hopefully this is all sorted out now. But a very capable climber and awesome decender.

[May 12, 2012]
Ramy Kastel
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

close to the ground. very safe in the singles. very light. (fork 140)

very much match my needs

[Apr 23, 2012]
ChampionSleeper
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Incredibly fun to ride. Climbs as strong as any bike I've ever ridden and feels solid descending. I've taken this shuttling on chunky dh trails and not felt out of place. No negative squishy traits to speak of (bob, jack, etc). Also a very reasonably price framed.

By the numbers, the frame is slightly heavy. But I can't feel it riding.

Get it!

[Apr 23, 2012]
Ryan
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

awesome geometry, looks cool, pedals great, feels stable in corners....it's a santa cruz, duh.

not sure

I should wait to review this bike because I have only ridden it one time. Although I can tell from my 3 hour ride how amazing the bike is. I'm not sure I've ever owned a bike that I've smiled as much when riding it. It pedals great, it rails corners (and feels stable through the corner), the build kit is really good. I bought this bike on a Sunday morning, and by Sunday afternoon was riding. I will review later when I have put more time on it, but for now it's a winner.

Heckler, Parker, Stinky, Chameleon...

[Feb 06, 2012]
Eckstream1

Strength:

Climbs better than any FS bike I've rode, doesn't bob while hammering out of the saddle, handles drops/jumps/roots with ease, great value for the money, gets lots of attention on the trails, the list goes on and on... Truely the best bike I've ever owned!

Cable routing around the pivot point causes cable rub (fixed with frame patches), no ISCG tabs (big brother Butcher gets em)

Other than those two this bike is perfect...

This bike will do anything... From a mellow XC ride to moderate FR. Excels at climbing and at home bombing down your favorite line... Much better value than other bikes in it's class/price...

Andy
Eckstream1@aol.com

Ironhorse Maverick 4.2

[Nov 18, 2011]
Hgth33

Strength:

- Burly frame for trailbike category
- Ease of maintenance (pivot bearings easy to clean)
- Ample rear tire mud clearance (important for "wet weather" countries)
- Great looking bike IMHO
- Value for money
- Its a Santa Cruz!

- NONE (maybe the lack of seabright blue color option for 2012? Also, I like the 2011 letter design better)

Awesome bike. I am rider who rides around 70% XC and 30% AM / light FR and the bike is perfect. Fully recommend it to anyone who's cost conscious, wants some brand prestige, but at the same time needs a real "do-it-all-rig". At 7.3 pounds, I can't feel the heft while pedaling (and I haven't used the propedal lever so far). What I like most is how versatile the bike is. Slap some light Maxxis Ikon tires for hilly / flowy XC singletrack riding or Nevegals for AM / light freeride duties at the mountain peaks, it rides like its at home. Much better handling than the previous bikes I have owned. Seem to absorb anything you throw at it. Bumped up the front travel to 140mm with DT Swiss forks with 725mm bars / 70mm stem and it feels fantastic on the downhills, especially with the slacker head angle. The bike is confidence inspiring and I feel that my skill level upped a notch. Rear shock didn't bottom out even though went through various rocky and rooty terrain. Living in a tropical area where mud is common, the ample mud clearance at the rear certainly helps. So far the best bike I have owned, not to forget that it looks good too.

Tomac Automatic, KHS XC Team, Giant XTC