Santa Cruz Blur LT All Mountain Full Suspension

Santa Cruz Blur LT All Mountain Full Suspension

If twitchy weight-weenie XC rides scare you and portly freeride huckers are excess, toss a leg over the 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT R AM Bike for trail rippin' fun. Light and tossable, the 150-millimeter-travel Blur LT tackles rough stuff with confidence and rolls up climbs with cross-country ease.

[Jul 02, 2012]
TwoHeadsBrewing
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great climbing, excellent traction under rough braking, good angles for downhill trail rides like Downieville.

None yet...maybe price for SPX kit.

I just recently purchased the new 2012 Blur LT and have only taken it on a few rides, but my initial impressions are very good. Coming from a horst link bike I'm really amazed by the dual personality of the bike, or it's ability to climb like a hardtail and descent like a mini downhill bike. Depending on how you build it up you could end up with a 25# long travel race bike or a full coil freeride/light DH bike. The VPP really does what they say...firm for pedaling, plush for descending, and eliminates brake jack/stiffening.

I never really noticed brake jack much on my old horst link bike (cannondale rize), but now that I've ridden the BLT on the same trails I understand the difference that VPP makes. The best example is when coming up to a high speed corner where you have lots of brake bumps or ruts prior to the entry. On my old bike the rear end would stiffen up under braking and cause the back end to skip around off the bumps. The VPP suspension on the Blur does not exhibit this behavior at all. Instead, even under hard braking the rear wheel sticks to the ground which enables you to set your line better and also brake more effectively. The result is the ability to brake later and have a more accurate line into the corner...which just means you're faster both entering and exiting the turn.

The other place where the VPP is great is on the climbs. With the ProPedal off it still climbs very well with no perceptible bob, but it will accept bumps and compress if you're standing and mashing hard. But lock out your fork and switch the ProPedal on and the Blur turns into a hardtail.

Bottom line, this is just a great all around trail bike that you can build up in a variety of ways and use for a variety of different trails. If you're like me and only have one full suspension bike, this has to be at the top of your list to demo. Frame welds are clean, tubing is very stout and nicely shaped. The gloss "harbor gray" paint job looks really nice and sheds the dirt nicely. The additions to the new Blur are also another reason to take a look: tapered 1.5" head tube, dropper post cable stops, ISCG tabs, recessed grease ports on the pivot links. Geometry has also been updated to be a tad more slack to bridge that gap between the Blur XC and the Nomad.

I will definitely post another review in a few months when I've had a full season to beat it up.

Cannondale Rize4 140mm, Cannondale RZ120

[Feb 13, 2012]
gexas
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

I had read about this bike back in mtb action in 2008. The onset of the LT2 and new VPP as well as the reviewer's raving and candid assessments of this bike over other very high end cycles he'd ridden really impressed me. I think the geometry is great, you point it where you want it to go and it goes, the geometry is friendly to the boys down stairs in the event you slip off the pedal and come off the seat. The pro pedal action is AWESOME and hooks up so nice when you go uphill. I don't even have to put the pro pedal switch on for the RP23. The suspension comes alive on downhills and serious rock gardens when you hit them which is nice and then it hooks up and let's you climb like a hardtail when you need to.

No weaknesses that i can think about other than just needing to lubricate the linkages after cleaning them really well after a long and muddy ride. The areas aren't that well sealed and dirt and mud seams to get in there. No real damage caused other than annoying squeaks. All was solved though after a good thorough wash, light oil in the linkages and wipe clean. Haven't had a squeak yet.

A great bike and it can handle way more than i can throw at it. I will never go back to a hard tail. This bike did superb on a very tough, wet and muddy 34 mile course located in NE Georgia without any problems. It was fantastic and I'd put it up against any other bike. I see why this bike holds its value and really is a great setup. I would not go with a frame that was not the newer generation VPP2(2009 and above you are good). You can score a good deal if you buy a used frame and then xsfer components. That's what i did and it worked out super and avoided ticking the wife off.

GT avalanche hardtail. Rode this badboy for 3 years.

[Oct 31, 2011]
cbussiere

Strength:

Excellent geometry for most people
Good design
Cheap price (Taiwan)

Pivot bolts are too weak for intended purpose
Grease ports are easily damaged on bottom link
Bearing design is not durable in wet/nasty conditions
Suspension action is not smooth and packs down on technical climbing

NOTE: I AM A LIFE-LONG NEW ENGLAND WOODS RIDER. MY REVIEW IS BASED ON THE TIGHT, SUPER-TECHNICAL, SLIPPERY, MUDDY TRAILS OF MY HOME TURF.

ABOUT ME: 6'3", ~200lbs ready-to-ride, 20 years of riding all over the country, ride about 3x a week. Prefer steep, technical trails, very much a power rider, not a racer.

***********************************************************

Santa Cruz Troubles...

At the start of 2011 I found a deal (on Chainlove.com) for a Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 frame that I just couldn't pass up. At the time the Santa Cruz frame was only $850 and although it wasn't my first choice, it was a solid bike that was certainly more modern than my old (and trusted) Specialized Enduro Expert. I decided to give the Santa Cruz a try since so many of my riding buddies ride this frame...

At first I thought I had gotten a good deal, but throughout the year I had many issues with the frame (busted upper pivot shafts twice, broken grease port, clogged grease port, busted bearings(2x)). I feel that most of these problems should not have really been an issue if this frame were design properly. I take excellent care of my equipment and fix/tune it often. This frame design was clearly not intended for really muddy conditions as the lower link is just too exposed!

I ride a couple stunts, but nothing really serious, some mild drop offs and some easy wheelie drops. Not a big deal, no huge hucks or jumps or anything. The bike seemed to handle them OK, but after a ride one day I noticed I just couldn't hold a line... was falling off everything. After the ride I check the frame and found that the upper pivot bolt had failed at the beginning of the threads but the collet-head was still holding it in place (hiding the failure).

In addition (though unrelated to my experience), 3 out of 3 of my riding buddies busted their frames at the rear-triangle upright (right in the center of the frame). Not sure about the details of each, but I will say that one of those frames was a Blur LTc which is supposed to be super-strong. I won't judge the design based on this, but its not a good sign.

*********************************************************
Ride Quality...

This frame never rode the way I wanted, specifically, the Blur always seem to wallow in its mid-stroke and even on flat ground I found myself reaching for the Pro-Pedal lever to keep the back end up. I played with air pressure and damping all the time, but the bike never performed the way I expected... it was always VERY harsh compared with my old-reliable Enduro...

Although many people have sung this bikes praises when climinb, I found that really didn't perform all that well on the REALLY steep, wet, technical climbs that we have here on the east coast. When I was in the granny ring and really digging hard to clear an uphill root or rock, the back end just didn't seem to be up to the task. It would either squat really bad (forcing me to use Propedal to keep the front end down) or it would impact harshly causing me to lose momentum. This probably isn't an issue for 90% of riders out there since this sort of terrain is rare in most of the country, but here in New England its an every-day occurrence. If I added more air, the suspension got really harsh and I lost all the small-bump sensitivity, if I increased damping, it would pack down.

**********************************************************

Final Thoughts

I think this frame is a good design for most people... I think that the sort of terrain that I ride regularly is pretty rare in Cali/Colorado/etc. But if you ride in the muck on VERY technical trails (BC, England, New England etc) I would not recommend this frame. The newer Blur LT's seem to have addressed some of the problems (re-designed lower link to move grease ports, changed HT angle) but overall the VPP suspension is not as good as the DW Link on my new Turner.

I'll give this bike 3 chili's for Value and Overall based on my experience, but I can see some people liking this bike much more based on what their local trails are like.

Turner 5.Spot (replacement for this frame)
Specialized Enduro

[Aug 01, 2011]
stuart

Strength:

Awesome everything ! The 15mm thru axle makes all the difference in the world in handling-you can drive right out of a rain groove ! I love the 10 spd. 36 btooth rear, & anyone who thinks a 2 speed crank is better then having a granny gear must never have climbed a long technical hill (mountain). The grease zerts make maintaining the BB pivots a breeze !

Came w/ an adequate but relatively heavy wheel set (Mavic xm 321 rims, w/ Shimano XT hubs & DT spokes).
Came w/ 4mm cable housing.
Came w/ Maxis tubed tires.

This bike is f'n awesome ! The 15 mm thru-axle in & of itself is a phenominal difference in handling & confidence ! Haven't had a flat since I went tubeless. (On AZ trails, when you get a flat their are usually several holes in the tube, not just 1 !)The best 3 grand I ever spent ! Worth every nickle & then some !
Santacruz really nailed it w/ this bike !

My last bike was a Santacruz Blur.

[Jan 26, 2011]
juan.gomezm

Strength:

Light, Strong, beautiful, comfortable ride, geometry makes the rider feel very positive about taking risk and improving on the downhill as well as the uphill.

Sincerely, I only had one issue, which was at the beginning when I started riding it. When I was pedaling, my right foot was touching the rear triangle of the frame. I solved this by sliding the cleat to the right side. Other then that, I haven´t noticed anything else that bothers me or makes the ride uncomfortable.

I did a lot of research on the bike of my dreams. Im a college student, so this was going to cost me a lot of money, therefore I wanted to get the best I could afford. My research came down to 4 bikes: Specialized Stump-jumper (which most of my friends ride), Trek Remedy, Giant Trance, and Kona Supreme. These bikes that I just mentioned are all great, but the Blur LT stands out among them. Why ?? First of all, the geometry. The first thing I noticed on the bike was that I could not fit a bottle on the frame. That´s because of the way the top-tube comes down. This difference on the frame gives the rider a feeling of security when going downhill. It also makes the climbing a lot easier and comfortable. After experiencing this by riding the bike, I did not care about the bottle, anyway I need to take the camelbak for the rides. The second reason why I chose this bike was because of the way the suspension works. It is real awesome, works under breaking, lets you land the jumps without any issues, and gives you lots of control. Finally, my 3rd reason, simply, this bike is beautiful. I know its expensive, but its worth it all the money. I have not used the grease gun yet, but when time comes, I will leave a comment talking about how that works. Mountain bikers out there, I recommend you this bike, you are going to love it. Thanks SANTA CRUZ for making such an amazing bike.

Specialized hardrock

[Dec 28, 2010]
AlexPt

Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat (un modded RP23)
Well balanced, easy to shift weight around
Works well with Fox Talas I have, with 150mm you can do some sweet jumps and the bikes just takes it all in its stride. Just glides over stuff.
Point and shoot!
Made me feel more confident and made my climbing come on leaps and bounds (ssshhh no one try the El Moco StickE in the rear you wouldn't like it)
Wide rear triangle, the 2.35 Kendas fit in easily

Black (grrr I wanted clear coat) paint scratches if you look at it.
Rear derailleuer cable frame mounts need drilling for uninterrupted run.
Not sure if one of those lube nuts will get smashed off the underneath of the linkage.
Two year warranty? C'dale, GF etc do lifetime. C'mon.

It's sick. I need to buy TC a few beers for getting me on it.

Jekyll, Prophet, Rize
Never thought I'd shift from C'dale

[Dec 15, 2010]
njsmith_dba

Strength:

Well built frame with good tolerances. Ano frame much better than previous painted frames and the 'bad weather' modifications seem spot on.

Despite the simplicity of replacing the grease ports (most people won't even use them anyway!), maybe SC should follow Intense and put them in a different location. Just a thought....

I'm very surprised at this frame and I'm not easily impressed. My last frame was a Ventana and it was very very good (super smooth, no chain growth and beautifully built). Changed as I wanted something slacker in the HA for some of the steep, technical decents but couldn't afford a custom setup and still wanted to run the 650b setup. A friend suggested I try the BLT2 if I wanted to stick with 650b.
The bike is great, what more can I say, despite the frame being very well used (the previous owner had a different definition of 'excellent condition' to me!). I've now done the RP23 modification to limit the mid travel wallow (see the Turner threads - it's very easy once you find the right CD container!!) so it's now managing my 200lb+ riding weight with smooth and progressive suspension without the blast through the mid-travel that some have complained about
I could repeat what's been said but why bother...put it on the test-ride list and then choose for yourself. Just be aware of the short top-tube length when choosing your frame and if you're over 190lb then think about a shock mod (Push, regular sized RP23 or the 'modification').
Most bikes these days are pretty good but on this occasion I have to admit that this is one of the better ones.

Lots and lots of hardtail and full suspension bikes since 1988. I've done 26er, 29er and now 650b.

[Nov 10, 2010]
ekamaus

Strength:

Inspires confidence both up and down, very predictable and stupid fast!

Took WAAAAAYYYYYY too long to get my grubby paws on it (almost 3 months); please get your bikes out quicker Santa Cruz! I won't say it was worth the wait, but I LOVE this bike... If not for Wimmers I'd be on the new 575 or a Genius.

Waited a year and a half for a dream bike; my research started and ended with the Blur. Pulled the trigger, waited three months, I LOVE this bike. There are many awesome bikes, the Blur is just MORE awesome. It's limited by a sloppy driver, but it's made me a better rider as I learn just how hard I can push it and myself. It's a killer feeling knowing that when I screw up the bike can bail me out.

Yeti 575, Scott Ransom and Genius, Specialized Stumpie, Ibis Mojo, Giant Trance, Trek Fuel EX, Kona Dawg, ...

[Nov 05, 2010]
Roro1

Strength:

Funny, superb climber, easy in descend, beautiful, VPP powered.
A true all-mountain mtb.

too fragile painting.

A bike to have fun and to play with, everywhere !!!
I ride on hard single in Alps, in bikepark, in soft trail ...

Yeti 575, Canyon AM, Rocky Altitude, ...

[Oct 20, 2010]
Okie81

Strength:

Super responsive, fast, this thing will take you for anywhere you want to go. Comfortable geometry for long days of riding. This bike puts a grin on my face everytime I ride.

Heavier than I expected but not enough to justify the extra $$ for Carbon.

Coming from a long line of stumpjumpers, I was hesitant to dive into a new direction. After riding a few 2010 FSR stumpys, I was about to pull the trigger on one until I rode this thing. The responsiveness, agility and speed of this bike make it no comparison to the new Stumpjumper FSR's. It climbs like a rear lockout and the downhill ride is a dream come true. It has a "feel" like no other bike I've been on. If you're reading this, you're probably asking yourself, "But the price though..." Yeah, it's not cheap, but like others have said, you will not regret the extra you spend on this gem. Go get one!

2003, 2008 and 2010 Stumpjumper FSR's