Rocky Mountain Slayer All Mountain Full Suspension

If you can only buy one AM rig and youTrend moreTowards DHThenThe Slayer isThe bike for you. The designers at Rocky Mountain were lookingTo pushThe evolution ofThe AM category by creating a lightweight, yet durable bikeThat could climb as well as it could rip downhill. Using creative design features such as a light, strong, integrated rocker pivot, 2 piece bottom bracket shell and using an e-type derailleurThat bolts ontoThe swing arm,The designers at Rocky Mountain were ableTo create aTruly AL

Pedro - Carioca   [May 16, 2014]
Strength:

I have just bought a second hand 2013 Rocky Mountain Slayer 50 in excellent conditions, like new. It´s my first all mountain bike and I can say this is a real AM steed! You expect some pedaling efficiency in a AM, and the Slayer 50 delivers more than expected. It´s not snappy and fast like a xc bike of course, but it pedals very well uphill even without locking up the suspensions. To get to my daily training trail I must climb a long and steep paved road, so the Slayer´s climbing prowess helps a lot. The firm platform and the forward position of the seat tube makes this bike a much better climber than you would expect from a 165mm/170mm travel rig!

With that much travel, descending should be the Slayer´s strongest point and indeed it is! Compared to my previous trailbike (which was very good ), it´s faster, more stable and more flickable. It corners great and jumps better. I usually ride a pretty gnarly trail used also by DH people and I feel I can go almost as fast as they do, though I am still getting used to the bike. I feel my Slayer can take anything I throw at her, no matter what, which was not the case with my previous bike. It´s a very tough machine!

At little over 14 kg, the Slayer is not a light bike by current all mountain standards, even so I don´t feel her that heavy when climbing and much less when descending. It´s an agile bike, but it would be perfect if it was 1 kg lighter.

Stock components are fine, but I prefer a wider (790mm instead of stock740mm) handlebar with a slightly longer stem (60mm instead of stock40mm). Some spacers to up the handlebar makes steeing more to my liking. Maxxis High Roller rubber instead of Continental Mountain king. The rest of components I kept stock. I prefer Shimano stuff over SRAM, so I would trade stock drivetrain and brakes for Shimano XT if it was not so expensive. But the x7/x9 type 2 drivetrain with a chain guide and bashguard is not eaxctly bad. The Avid brakes with a 200mm rotor work well, but a Shimano Zee would be more suited for this monster.

I would be rude if I said that this bike is a wek bike, Actually it´s an excellent all mountain bike. But things are changing fast nowadays and a new generation of AM bikes is coming to the market. Carbon frames, 1x11 narrow-wide drivetrain, more slack head angle, four piston brakes, 27.5 wheels. Compared to those bikes, the Rocky Mountain Slayer is not so up-to-date anymore.

Excelent all mountain bike, great climbing power, better at descending rough trails.

Franciscorey   [Apr 23, 2014]
Strength:

Fuerte! Como a downhill bike that pedals good.

Nah

I got a 2013 and its like a hungry trail groblin eating up trail. It rides so good. Moto everything. You sissies say no puedo pedal! Chale! Se pedalea gran! Pump those chicken sticks y moto over that niner. It's so solid and strong con no flex. I take it to the bike parks or pedal my xc trails con mi sissy xc amigo. Such a good ride.

Similar Products Used: Specialized enduro
george talas   All Mountain Rider [Sep 16, 2013]
Strength:

Climbs like a mountain goat. Point it downwards and it rides like a downhill bike.

None so far.

I used to maintain 2 bikes, one for downhill and 1 for trails. Sold both and bought the Slayer 70 frame only and built it. Did away with the front derailleur and set up the drive train using Race Face's single chain ring 30T narrow wide with 10 speed X9 Type 2 rear derailleur w/out chain tensioner and 11-36 cassette. Installed RockShox' Lyrik RC2 DH and Cane Creek's Double Barrel Air and it suck in bumps, drops and whatever you throw at it made it feel like the trail was paved.

The bike frame and geometry is truly amazing. Brought it in Whistler's local trails, Top of The World Trail and Garbanzo at Whistler Bike Park. Rides like a downhill bike and climbs like an XC bike. Technical trails was a breeze compared with my old DH rig. Tested it at the North Shore trails. The CBC and Neds Atomic trails became like XC trails.

One of the best bikes I have ridden so far.

Bug with a haircut   [Mar 28, 2013]
Strength:

Super snappy and responsive with lots o shock but still pedals really well.

Had issues with fox shox but they fixed it.

This bike is more like riding a spaceship than a bicycle. The suspension feels great, nice and squishy on the downhill but feels nice and firm on the uphill with the propedal on. It corners really well for a 160 I think it's the low bottom bracket. Some people complain they wack their pedals but I haven't had this problem it's easy to adjust your riding style to this anyway and it's worth it for how well it handles. You can really throw it around and manual easily or being considering the weight, and like the previous reviewer said you really don't notice the weight. I things the geometry totally cancels the weight factor. I'm reviewing the 2012 which may be a little different and in my option has a much better component pack and is an insane deal if you can still find one around. Also I put a gravity dropper on mine which is really a huge improvement for my riding since I don't really do much shuttle. I do ride occasional downhill trails and the bike feels super solid and never under equipped. Badass bike.

Matt   [Mar 11, 2013]
Strength:

Quick, snappy, firm yet plush, it's named Slayer! Solid component spec

Might be a shade over 30 pounds, but its a 170 mm bike and it defiantly hide its weight well. Came with 750 mm wide bars, crazy I find those narrow.

I have only one ride on the '13 Slayer and my initial impression is that this bike rips! Acceleration is quick and snappy, responsiveness is great, a firm yet plush ride and the bike just loves being pushed and buried into any berm in sight. It climbs very well for a 170mm travel bike and is incredibly more playful than my 2012 Nomad(sold), likely a result of shorter chain stays(0.7 inches shorter). On a side note the ease of setting up the Rock Shox suspension is so simple and felt great on the 1st go-round. Take what I say with a grain of salt, I have only one ride, but I have ridden a few bike and know what feels good.

Nic   All Mountain Rider [Mar 11, 2013]
Strength:

Exceptional climbing performance. Downhill...it's a downhiller. Light. Downhill cartridge in Lyrik fork is a thing of genius. Easton wheels stay marvelously true. 203mm G3 Disks are a must. Reverb seat post is perfect.

Easton Haven rear hub: the usual play after 1 season. Recently replaced with newly engineered parts under full guarantee from Easton.
Easton Haven direct pull spokes and nipples are difficult to get in exotic places. You should have at least 5 of each at home for sudden repairs.
I have not crash too much on this bike, but given the lightweight components around the cockpit I can imagine them not liking that too much.
For some reason in very muddy conditions, with the chain on the smaller chain ring, it sometimes gets caught on the bigger one and pulled up, blocking the drivetrain. I don't know why this happens only in wet and mega muddy conditions and have as yet no solution, but it is only function of the chainrings.
Repairs: this is highly specialized piece of gear that is also quite light and if you ride it hard it will fail at some point. I have just invested 700$ in a big spring repair job (with a fair bit of guarantee parts) on the fork, brakes and wheels. I would not recommend charging this thing in bike parks too much, but on the trail it's killer.

To be fair, the bike as described is way more than the MSRP here shown and the only reason I was able to afford this machine was because I got it used, but in practically new condition...and even then it was a bit more than the MSRP shown here. Having said that, this thing is marvelous.

The upright geometry is fantastic and the pedaling position for long climbs is very comfortable and efficient. You sit very solidly above the pedals. Even on steep pitches, sitting down the front has no inclination to lift off. As a result, the lack of lockout or travel reduction on the Lyrik Fork is no issue. I rode the bike with the Talas 36 and felt no big difference in the uphill characteristic. For a 165mm travel bike the back is also very nice and stiff in the climbs and with the Monarch works very well. But it is the whole package: better pedaling position = smoother pedaling = less bounce = less suspension bob = more control = going up stuff you previously walked. The relatively short distance from your body to the cockpit takes some getting used, but I find it now a very comfortable and flexible position for uphill and down. One will notice however with a wide handlebar, your knees sometimes get in the way when going around tight switchbacks, but that's a technique thing.

The downhill performance is blinding! With the dropped down seat post and Monarch on soft this thing flies over everything you throw at it. The relatively slack fork angle is combined with a relatively short wheelbase and this makes it maneuverable and big hit tolerant while tracking like a freight train. You sit quite centered on this bike due to the shorter top tube and I personally love the fact of being really in the trail, but when things get steep you can move back with smaller moves while not having to extend your arms too much.

In short, this is the perfect Enduro and Trail bike which rips in the park too (in moderation).

Similar Products Used: Lapierre Jesty
Mondraker Dune
Trek Remedy
Samson PK   [Nov 28, 2012]
Strength:

Solid build-excellent handeling and cornering, very well engineered solid linkage.

Ardent tires aren't the best in wet and muddy trails but who complains about tires anyway.

After 15 years of riding mountain bikes I can honestly say this is an excellently made bike. I can't say enough about the handling and the plush ride, it just floats over the tough stuff but still snaps around corners. It's been a very solid feeling and dependable bike so far, albeit I've only had it for a couple if months. I'd be surprised if anything major went wrong though, it's an increadably stout build, frame and linkage. Really sweet well engineered bike!

Similar Products Used: Specialized enduro
Albe   [Oct 28, 2012]
Strength:

Bike is good riding up and down. Strong bike

No weakness now

this bike is riding great for every type of riding. Long XC riding is really comfortable and pedals excellent with very smooth feel but superior in rough downhill. Holds strong in any conditions and very dependable. Allows me to go much faster than previous bikes. Excellent value, looks attractive and rides powerful. Great bike highly recommended.

jason dreggs   All Mountain Rider [Sep 25, 2012]
Strength:

Climbs nimbly without sagging into it's travel, Geometry keeps you nice and upright when climbing,
Descending at speed this bike feels solid, rear end is firm, brakes are very powerful

Short stem, crap grips( clear) get rid of them asap as water gets under them, chain bounces off some times

I tested this bike for a year, and got to ride it on a very varied amount of trails. My local loop deals with alot of rocky climbs both solid and loose, this machine sucks them up with out a problem, comes with a great spec and once setup correctly rides like a dream, although it looks bulky it rides nice and light, sure your not going to beat MR XC up the hill, but you will smash him when it points down.

Adam   All Mountain Rider [Sep 21, 2012]
Strength:

Stiffness, climbing, dropper post, descending like a fiend

Upright geometry starts to hurt my back during long rides. Seat's not too comfortable

Phenomenal bike. I live in the CO Front Range, and this bike just eats it up. It climbs incredibly well for a 6.5" bike, super light, minimal pedal bob, and just forms to the terrain you're on. I'm amazed at how well it climbs, coming from a Santa Cruz Heckler. The upright geometry (or whatever it's called) certainly does put you in a strong position for climbing, but it takes a bunch of rides to get used to that position. It also kind of hurts my bike if I'm out on a long ride, but not too bad.

The downhills are just crazy fun on this bike. The rear thru-axle stiffens it up a ton, so you can point and shoot down those loose sections that normally bounce you around like a pinball without a problem. The big beefy Fox 36 is pretty sweet, confidence-inspiring on the technical downhill sections (i.e. Hall Ranch).

Big fan of the Formula The One brakes, they can stop you on an absolute dime. Coupled with the big rotors, you've got serious stopping power. Again, takes some getting used to, but once you figure them out, you feel pretty good about it.

First time I've ridden a 2X10 gearing, and I like it a lot, less stuff to fiddle with. I also like that there's a little piece next to the small chainring to prevent dropping a chain when you're screaming a downhill.

Shifting up front isn't too smooth, which is obnoxious, been having to play with the limit screws a bunch to get it dialed in.

All in all, this bike is absolutely incredible. It rides a lot like the Mojo HD and somewhat similarly to the Trek Slash. I'd HIGHLY recommend this bike to anyone thinking about it. Great all-mountain, free-ridey bike that can do anything you want to do (it'd be a great lift-accessed bike too). I got a killer deal on it too off Chainlove, $3,300, which is why I pulled the trigger on it (was going to buy a Mojo HD).