Pivot Cycles Mach 5.7 Carbon All Mountain Full Suspension

Pivot Cycles Mach 5.7 Carbon All Mountain Full Suspension

The name is appropriate; by that we mean the "mach" part. All we can think of is how fast we could ride this bike, and the Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon is more ready to rip than ever before. Imagine taking a half pound from the frame weight of the alloy version of this bike. Make it stiffer too. That's exactly what Pivot Cycles did. And while the 145mm (5.7") dw-link rear suspension works as beautifully as ever, the frame is far more attractive than the alloy model, with its sweeping curves and smooth tube junctures. Pivot has taken advantage of the latest molding technology to get the frame weight down to 5 pounds with the rear shock. This means that sacrificial internal molds get used to provide better compaction of the laminate and to create a smoother inner surface. All of this adds up to a stronger and lighter bike without the wrinkles and excess resin that used to plague intricate monocoque layups. While the front triangle is noticeably smoother, the rear end is where you'll see the greatest differences in design attributable to the use of carbon. Instead of two struts connecting the set and chain stays, there is but one on the left side. And there isn't a seat stay bridge either. These changes help to increase the mud clearance over the alloy Mach 5.7 frame. We always like that. Up front it gets the same tapered head tube, and it allows Pivot designers to shape a massive down tube for steering stiffness.Out on the trail, the Mach 5.7 Carbon glides over rocks, roots and ruts, yet still remains firm while hammering out of the saddle. Firm, efficient pedaling and serious bump compliance? It's possible to have both thanks to the dw-link suspension with its anti-squat characteristics. When you're on your bike, the center of mass is somewhere near your belly button. Every time you accelerate (ie. pedal forward), this mass shifts rearward, loading the rear suspension. The dw-link counteracts this transfer to minimize your impact on the rear suspension.This is why Pivot is able to get such a lightly damped tune on the Kashima Coated RP23 rear shock from Fox. With the dw-link controlling unwanted suspension squat, the lightly damped shock can respond with ultra-sensitivity to the demands of the trail. As a result, the Mach 5.7 Carbon is capable of soaking up big square edged hits and minute trail chatter alike. Perhaps the best trait of dw-link rear suspension is how well it absorbs bumps while climbing at low speeds. This means more comfort and better traction. The Mach 5.7 Carbon has a flatter spring curve than the Mach 5. So even though the difference in travel between the two bikes is fairly small, the 5.7 has a plusher ride and a more bottomless feel at the end of the stroke.There are a few other details that emphasize the efforts towards optimizing frame stiffness. One of the easiest to see is the BB92 pressfit style bottom bracket. The extra width in the shell does two things -- 1) It allows the frame designers to connect a massive downtu

[Feb 08, 2014]
Craig
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Very light weight for a almost 6 inch travel bike. Climbs like no tomorrow!!!

Have had a issue with one of the bearings on the lower DW link wearing out faster than normal

I am a 57 year old mountain biker but ride pretty hard. Come from a back ground of racing off-road motorcycles in enduro and hare scrambles for many many years. So I like a bike that will turn on a dime and slice thru twisty trail. When I we a chance to jump over a rough spot I will take it. This bike is perfect for it. When it comes to going up this bike is like cheating. The younger guys I ride with thing I am and animal going up hill but it is really the bike that gives me the advantage. I rode a Mach 5 for several years before I got the 5.7 and was having a hard time spending $5000.00 plus dollar for up grade. Called Pivot and talked to a rep and he assured me I would be amazed at the difference. Boy was he right!!! It is so much more smoother. I ride with others that have 29ers and have ridden them and just can't get into the lazy feel of a 29er. You can carry so much speed on this bike that the advantage of rolling over trail junk easier that you get on 29er is not a issue. Bottom line, if you can spend this kind of money for a mountain bike you will not be sorry!!!!!! I did have a issue with a creak that developed when pedaling hard up hill that I thought was the bottom bracket but after taking it apart and lobbing several time and not fixing the problem I took thr lower DW link off and found one of the bearing was bad. It was. A easy and cheap fix and have not had a problem since. Awesome bike! Period

Titus motolite. Pivot Mach 5. Mongoose team caannan.

[Jun 15, 2013]
Lance David
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Pedals like a XC bike but 150 mm and 67 head angle kills on the way down. Very light 26 lb for a long travel bike. Great suspension, especially the rear. One of the most agile, fun playful bikes I've ridden. Great component build. Tricon wheels Shadow Plus rear derailleur Kashima fork/shock XT brakes with finned pads, even the seat WTB is great.

Small 26 inch wheels. Really a double edge sword here. Less stable and not a good on smaller chunder, but more nimble. Not my favorite tire choice and should have come tubless on those great wheels.

I have a Superfly 29er carbon with carbon wheels. That is my benchmark for a fun nimble bike. I also have a Trek Scratch with Fox float talis 180 mm fork and 170 travel in the rear. My benchmark for going down. I have spent time on the Specialized 2012 Stumpjumber FSR 29er around Salt Lake and Fruita, great all around bike. I test rode a couple 27.5 bikes Intense Carbine and Giant Reign with 27.5 wheels. Then I test rode this and had to have it. Might even sell the other bikes. This bike is more agile than the Superfly, goes down almost as well as the Scratch (that 180 fork is outstanding) and pedals my XC loop almost as fast as my Superfly 1 hour 2 min vs 1 hour 4 min on the Pivot.
Here is my take on the wheel size and why I like this bike so much. 29ers roll over stuff better so you can use shorter suspension making them pedal better, in general. But you loose agility and when the going gets really rough you miss the suspension travel. 26ers can roll over stuff just as well if they have more suspension, but you loose pedaling efficiency. 27.5 felt very close to the 26 and not really gaining the advantage of the 29er.
So the Pivot Mach 5.7 has enough suspension to roll over everything and it is so light and so efficient pedaling that you can just power through the chunder on the way up. It's way agile and so light it accelerates well coming out of corners or up short steep climbs. I feel like everything is a trade off, bigger wheels vs agility. This bike strikes the perfect balance for me. It is light enough and pedals well enough with enough suspension that I don't feel the need for bigger wheels. And when it turns down, it is a real blast, railing courners, jumping off stuff, just playing with the trail like I can't on my Superfly or the Stumpy I have ridden.

Stumpjumper FSR 29, Intense Carbine 27.5, Trek Scratch, Superfly 100 carbon.Giant Reign and ReignX

[Jan 19, 2013]
JD
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

THIS REVIEW IS FOR A PIVOT 5.7 CARBON WITH A 650B CONVERSION.
Strengths: Better bump roll over - smooths out the rough trails, allows faster speeds over the bumps, less hangup effect on bumps. Better stability and traction. Allows rider to rail corners/switch backs aggressively with more speed and confidence. 650b has slightly less rolling resistance than 26 inch wheels - so the science says - but not very noticeable - its nothing like the night and day difference when comparing 26 inch wheels vs. 29 inch wheels. 650b wheels on the Pivot Mach 5.7 C still feels flickable, quick, agile, and still has the fun factor of 26 inch wheels.

Slightly higher bottom bracket - I can feel it but it does not really compromise the handling for the worse. The bike feels just slightly twitchy because I think the chainstay length of the Pivot Mach 5.7 C is just a tad too short for 650B wheels, but of course the frame is designed around 26 inch wheels. Rear wheel clearance there is approx 4-5 mm of clearance between the tire and chainstay box section bridge.

Rear Wheel Travel had to be reduced. I had my Fox Rear Shox rebuilt/modified - 5mm spacer to reduce the stroke/travel. The Stock Fox Rear Shock has a 2.25 inch stroke which allows up to 5.7 inch rear wheel travel. The modified rear shock with a 5 mm spacer - shock stroke is now reduced to 2.05 inches which now changes the maximum allowable rear wheel travel to 5.19 inches. The rear shock had to be modified to allow clearance between the rear tire and the back of the seat tube - otherwise the stock (unmodified) rear shock, if it were to bottom out, the tire would slightly rub against the back of the seat tube right at the point where the front derailleur cable guide is located.
Another weakness is limited tire choices in 650b and a rear tire larger than the 2.25 might not fit the rear - I have not tried any other tire size yet.
Due to modifications warranty issues can be voided.

I also own a Lynskey Ridgeline 29er Titanium Hardtail. I really like the performance of larger wheels, I think the advantages of a larger wheel are outweigh the slight extra weight gain - better traction, stability, less rolling resistance, better bump roll over and compliance, faster uphill and downhill.

The larger wheel advantage drove me to convert my Pivot 5.7 Carbon to a 650b - Im willing to try anything that might be better. Looks like Im going to keep my 5.7 C with 650b wheels, but when Pivot comes out with a 650B specific frame, (hopefully its carbon with 5.5 to 6 inch travel) Im going to get me one because im sure it will perform better that the 5.7 C.

The Pivot 5.7 C does have enough rear tire clearance with approx 4-5 mm of gap between the tire and chainstay bridge box section (this is with a 2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires). The Rear shock will need to be modified with reduced stroke/travel to prevent rubbing of tire against the seat tube if the rear shock where to reach full travel or bottom out. If you have a Fox fork (for 26 inch wheel) there will be enough tire clearance depending on tire size, with a 2.25 Racing Ralph I have 6-7 mm of clearance, though I might switch to a Schwalbe Nobby Nic and should still have enough clearance.

I believe the performance of the 5.7 C with 650b wheels is slightly improved and worth the $$ for the conversion. Its still a blast to ride. It did take some getting used to. The 5.7 C still retains its awesome performance: pedaling, acceleration, quickness, flickability, but with improved bump roll over, less rolling resistance (barely noticeable), better traction and cornering stability and most important of all the fun factor is still there. Downside is the slighty reduce rearwheel travel :( but I guess life as a mountain biker has it compromises with bike upgrades or modifications.

Sorry to Francis, Greg, everyone at MTBR, and users/visitors to MTBR. I was not sure where to post this review. Maybe there needs to be a section for 650b conversions.

[Nov 29, 2012]
DieagoA.Calderón
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Travel-weight combination

None so far

Absolutely versatile bike

I bought the version XT/XTR, and I’m amazed, my last bike before the Pivot was the Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (before that I had, trek cannodale and GT), and this bike is waaaayyy better, has more travel and the Dwlink system is great in the climbing sections, either technical or not. I’m from Ecuador and in our privileged biking geographic, this bike does everything great, especially in the downhill sections this bikes is very maniobrable and suck every obstacles in the road, sometimes you got too much speed and when the drops shows in the way, this bike laughs of them.
Amazing Very very recommendable.

Specialized, Cannondale, Trek

[Oct 03, 2012]
MSU Alum
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Does it all, well.

In the context of what I ride, none, though I may put a 180 disc up front.

This is a 500 mile update. Still great, everything is staying solid. I have, over the years, recorded my climb times. I'm up in Park City, Utah, so the rides generally start at 7000 feet and end at 10,000. I'm 60 years old and this summer I've broken 6 (!) personal records...so far. I haven't had it to Moab, yet. I went from a 25 pound Yeti 575 to a 26 pound, stock (replaced the tires with a Nobby Noc front, Racing Ralph rear, tubeless) 5.7 carbon. I haven't noticed whether any of the colors are off, so I guess that hasn't been an issue, but now I'm going to check it out of curiosity. I have noticed that on the downhill, I'm going faster than on the Yeti at the same comfort level. Having a rear D with a clutch makes the bike very quiet, as well.

[Aug 07, 2012]
MSU Alum
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Climbing, descending, level, turning, not turning sitting in my garage looking pretty!

My downhills have become dangerously fast!

I came off a Yeti 575 (2005) with a "Push'd" RP3 rear and Revelation 120-150 front, set up tubeless on Stan's rims at a weight weeny-ish sub 25 pounds. I'm 60 years old and get 700 or 800 miles of trail riding in a season in Utah. I replaced the 24 tooth with a 22 tooth up front, as much of my riding is above 9000 feet and I'm no spring chicken. The Pivot comes in at an even 26 pounds. I'm told the bike (including the stock wheelset) is extremely stiff, which would explain the sense that power transfer is instant and efficient. The steering is rock solid; goes where you point it and not easily deflected from it's course. I record my ride times, as I try different tires, pressures, etc. My old best time for a short local climb was 47:39, 2 years ago. I've beaten this time twice in the last few weeks, once riding it in 46:30, and once in 46:55, so I'm pretty happy with the bike! The suspension is more smooth, small bump compliant and bottomless feeling (by far) than my Yeti and there is no bobbing, even with propedal off (which is where I keep it). It likes to be ridden in more of a "high torque" style rather than a "spinning" style. On this bike, if it feels like I should be one gear easier, I'm in the right gear (hope that makes sense!). The XT M785 brakes are a definite upgrade from the Hayes Stroker Carbon brakes on my Yeti. The bars are 680 Vs. 660 which I like, though I clipped a few objects the first couple of days! I went from SRAM twist grips to XT shifters with no problems. I'm using the XTR Shadow Plus (clutch) on the rear with the clutch always engaged...love it! I'd recommend that or a type II SRAM on the back, as the clutch system is great. Very quiet. Great bike. Looks much better in person, than in pictures...more subtle than pictures would suggest on the colors, labels, etc. At the 1 month point I have about 200 miles of trail riding on the bike.

Yeti 575, Ibis Mojo SLR, Giant Reign.

[Jun 28, 2012]
3dean
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Incredible bike. Climbs better than the xc bike I had (RM 70 msl carbon that was stolen; bought 5.7 as replacement) and descends for me like Pivot Firebird (which I had and traded in to get my wife a 5.7). The Firebird was probably more than I needed given my skills (limited), but in terms of going down, the Mach 5.7 feels basically like a super light Firebird. I don't know how Pivot does it. Best of both words. I can ride up and down terrain that I couldn't clear before.

I put on Nobby Nics instead of the stock Kendas.

If you want a 26 inch bike that feels like an xc going up and goes over roots and rocks like a long travel trail bike going down, this is it. Once I rode the Mach 5.7 carbon, I realized I wouldn't ride any other bikes, so quickly got over my stolen RM MSL 70 (which I really liked) and traded in my Pivot Firebird, which I had planned on keeping as a second bike but realized I wouldn't use because I don't do anything downhill that the 5.7 can't handle, and the 5,7 is 10 lbs lighter. They will have to crawl over my dead body to steal this bike.

RM 70 MSL (liked this bike a lot!)
Pivot Firebird
Demoed Santa Cruz Blur

[Jun 27, 2012]
mrjoshua

Strength:

Mountain Bikiing. Almost all kinds, almost anywhere

Um...let's see....cleaning the pivot/bb area is a bit challenging. Honestly that's about it.

Owned the aluminum Mach 5.7 last year and it is/was awesome, but when the carbon hit the stores my inner geek beat out my logical side,and, well, it almost always does. Definitely better than the AL: Lighter, stiffer yet more compliant, and a much more lively feel on the trail. There are currently only 3 or 4 six-ish inch travel carbon "superbikes" that are in this league: Ibis Mojo SLR, Yeti SB 66, of course this Pivot, and if you're into 29ers, the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT C has got to peg your drool meter.I have ridden the Ibis, (very nice but feels a little more XC/Marathon than trail) the Tallboy NON LT version (nice, but I am not a 29er), but not the Yeti so feel unqualified to comment. Take out a loan, buy a cheaper truck, or otherwise do whatever it takes to own this fantastic "quiver of one"

[May 22, 2012]
mckinley99
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Climbing in or out of saddle, rear wheel traction, small bump compliance, ability to ride through rough terrain at speed while seated and in a higher gear than any other bike I've ever been on. Feeling of total braking and handling control while descending. DW Link rear suspension is awesome it lives up to all the hype and more. Rigid frame, drives like on rails.

Kenda tires are quite heavy, my XTR build was 26.0 lbs after changing the rear tire to a Racing Ralph and changing the grips the bike weighed in at 25.0 lbs yesterday. Although the digital scales were different I believe both were accurate.

I've rode the 5.7 Carbon in Moab and British Columbia, Canada on very technical trails. The bike just plain makes you a better rider, my friend says my technical ability has tripled. It is a beautiful thing when the bike just goes where you want with little or no complaints. My wife asked me after a week what I thought of the bike and I just smiled and said "Stellar". If you are a person who wants the best all mountain bike on the market this should be one of your top choices. Believe the reviews they are true this bike makes a really good rider do great things. It flies down hills where before I thought my old bike was going to fall apart the Pivot feels solid and true to the line I pick. Often I just ride over the rocks while still seated where before I had to pick my way through them. Bottom Line "Awesome Bike".

Giant Reign (previous bike)

[Apr 11, 2012]
Budo Dave

Strength:

The bike is really light. Power transfer feels just about right and the suspension keeps the bike nice and planted. I feel really comfortable on this bike and can't wait to get more aggressive with it.

6'-0" tall and I'm on a large. I have wide shoulders so I put a wider bar and not it feels perfect. I also changed out the grips because they felt cheap and the sat was too narrow for my backside. Overall just 3 minor adjustments and now it's perfect.

Was originally interested in a Santa Cruz Carbon Blur but stumbled upon these at a demo. This bike felt more nimble than the blur and the stumpjumper and just seemed more fun. Couldn't pass up the 15% off discount either. Great bike and a lot of fun!