Mongoose Teocali Comp All Mountain Full Suspension

• 31.8mm Riser Bar
  • 2.1" Tires
  • Disc brakes

FlamingGinkgo   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2010]
Strength:

This platform is bulletproof and totally upgrade-worthy. This bike has built my confidence and continually implores me to test the limits of traction and my abilities because I know I am on an iron hard steed that can take anything I throw at it, crushing downhills, ballshrinkingly-tight blazes of singletrack, hair-wisping jumps, and the occasional freak dismount thereto appertaining. Though some of the stock parts aren't stellar, all the important bases are covered with aplomb: the frame, with a pivoting Freedrive linkage, effectively isolates the bottom bracket to nullify pedal bob, resulting in a very capable climbing machine; the Suntour Epicon fork has proven to be suprisingly robust--still buttery smooth after hundreds of miles of the most abusive pounding; and I've thought so many times that one of the WTB wheels would be toast after this or that landing, but they continue to champion even the harshest of treatments so far.

As stated, some of the stock parts are a bit lackluster.

An extreme value for riders of all skill levels. I dare you to get on this bike for an hour and not have fun. Somehow Mongoose has found the perfect combination of componentry, frame design, and value to put out a bike that borders on classic. After diluting their brand for years at Wal-mart and other junk-bike retailers, this through a number of financial hardships, Mongoose is setting the record straight with this one--'we may schill bigbox trash on the side, but we are still a ferociously legit outfit of bike designers that will stay relevant and in demand because we still make bikes like the Teocali.

Mongoose64   Weekend Warrior [Apr 18, 2010]
Strength:

Strong frame, very plush ride from the Suntour Epicon fork, and Epicon rear shock. Kenda Nevegal tires are great on both dry/muddy surfaces. Freedrive rear suspension works very well on climbs, have not felt any major "pedal-induced bobbing" when climbing. 34-tooth rear granny truly a plus when climbing on a 33lb. bike. Ritchey headset shoud be problem-free. The mongoose spec'd bar/stem are just fine. Mongoose lock-on grips are terrific. 5+ inches of front and rear travel

None noted so far, but have only been on four good rides so far on bike.

The bike is built like a tank. Although I wish it were lighter than 33lbs., I weigh 200 lbs., so I believe the bike should hold up well as I am not hard on a bike, riding mostly technical singletrack. The bike's setup is fine as stock, and all seems to be holding up well. I have had the bike back to Performance twice to repair bent rear derailleur hangers, but these were crash-induced, certainly not the bike's fault. These were repaired (no need for replacement) by the shop mechanic, and shifting is trouble-free. For the money, and excellent choice! I would recommend this bike to anyone! I feel the bike does well in the Trailbike category, but if you are looking for a Mongoose in the XC category, look at the Canaan series, as these bikes use the Freedrive technology, but have less travel, and lighter weight.

Similar Products Used: This is my first full-sus bike, as I had been riding my 1993 Mongoose Hilltopper fully rigid bike and getting beat-up for it! Full suspension really is the way to go, especially for technical singletrack. Roots and rocks don't seem to stop me now as they had in the past...
rider4jesus   Cross Country Rider [Nov 26, 2009]
Strength:

Pedals Great, Desends awsome, Strong frame, Great brakes, The price!

Upper pivot bolts, lower connecting link bearings.

I bought this bike because Performance had a killer deal on it. I figured I would buy it, gut it out build it back up with my build kit off my old bike. But than I rode it it was sweet like it was. I've had more expensive bikes, I've own better looking bikes (thats for sure... this thing aint pretty!) But I haven't owned a better riding bike. That being said the upper pivot hardware is crap. I bent it in a week when I called performance to get replacements they assured me that Eric Carter does 10' drops all the time and has never bent the hardware. I assured them that Eric carter doesn't weigh 220lbs. I never did receive the replacement hardware. I instead went to Fastenal and bought the right size bolts. Alot heavier but I haven't bent them again. The lower connecting link has needle bearings in a area that is constantly in mud and water. These lasted about 6 months. I pushed these out and replaced them with nylon bushings. They lasted about a year but cost $2 and take 10min to replace. I know everyone is thinking why keep the Suntour Fork. Truth is I had a Marz All mnt on it And a Manitou Minute. And I liked the Suntour better.... I know its crazy this fork by all rights should be crap, but the thing feels really good on this bike and even at 220lbs I haven't blown it up in 2yrs of hard riding! When I bought the bike I told everyone that if they wanted a good bike dirt cheap they better buy them now. I saw that Mongoose was trying to regain a following by offer a great bike at an unbelievable price but as soon as they got that following the prices would go up! well thats whats happening. This Bikes MSRP was $1100 in 07 its now $1500 for the 2010 if you want one you better get one now cause their not done going up I'm afraid!
God Speed, Mark

Similar Products Used: 04 Hollowpoint team, Harvey Pilot Rock.
the chiliman   Weekend Warrior [Sep 08, 2009]
Strength:

Strong frame takes a beating. Shocks seem good so far but I'm only 160 pounds. Handles well downhill. Kendal Nevegal tires grip excellent around corners.

A little heavy for climbing but once you work out the X.5 shifters timing you can keep up with lighter bikes. Bars are a little wide for single track.

Great bike for the value especially at this price for a full XC MTB. Having fun on it so far. I will change the bars and wheels eventually to lighten it up a bit but it's doing it's job right now and giving me a great workout. Excellent bike for a aggressive beginner will handle what you can throw at it.

DucDucGoose   Weekend Warrior [Sep 06, 2009]
Strength:

Review is for an '06 model
Frame.
Components for the price
Price
Climbs well, descends great

None really but if I had to pick one, it would be the Fork.(Manitou Splice 130)
Blew it out pretty badly. They have taken quite a beating though I suppose. Descending very steep, rocky (volcanic)trails and bouncing off of every rock there multiple times.

I ride anywhere from 40-60mi. a week and this bike makes it enjoyable(obviously)
The only problem has been the fork and I can't really complain about it. They did take quite a beating before dying.
I am sold on the Mongoose Teocali so much so that I just ordered a '09 Super to replace this one. Due to the fact that I (In my "noob-ness") purchased the current one a size too small.
The Comp is still a keeper though and worth throwing upgrades on...I will be giving this one to my wife.
Would highly recommend this bike to anyone looking for a beginner MTB. Especially the AM or Trail kind.
For the price paid for this Bike, It can't be beat. I looked.

Similar Products Used: None...First MTB
crawford mclaren   Downhiller [Apr 01, 2009]
Strength:

can do anything you through at it, even a bit of light DH,
i have the 08 modle and it was the best buy i ever made, the shock is amazing and the gripse are as well even though they are mongoose, the gears setup is good and the way the bike pivites makes anything seem like nothing

the hanger is not the strongest, i had to replace it twice

amazing, light, easy to cycle up hill, beast at XC, single track, freeride and light DH, good price, now you can get one for £600, that is an amazing price

Similar Products Used: the elite vertion, giant riegn, SX trail II 08
Lee   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2009]

All the reviews are very harsh above and it sounds like alot paid for an INTRODUCTION FULL SUSER and expected top of the line.
This bike is and does exactly what it says on the tin. Cheap go any where all mountain bike ideal for your first Full Suser.
yes this bike is a little heavy
yes this bike has some cheap parts.
BUT it was £800 new if you where lucky you got it for closer to £600
4 years after i bought this bike all i have done is maintain the bike replace brake pads and had to replace a rear mech cause a brach bent it into the wheel. and that is all i have done it is still a stock bike the shocks are fine the bearings are fine and i have not replaced a single thing. i am alot more than a weekend warrior but dont claim to be any more. i took this bike to morzine in france and did the french national downhill and the swiss national downhill courses with it, i have been to wales and takled ever track they have i live in scarborough so dalby forest is its home where it goes alot.
My mates took along there 3-£6000 bikes and they where for ever needed to adjust bits replace bits and they did no better than me....

Excelletn bike wouldnt have anything else in that price range. if your a big time rider spend more simple really..

mxer3   Weekend Warrior [Mar 10, 2009]
Strength:

everything its just perfect

none yet

it can handle anything it rocks and you can costimize every thin to you liking.

Similar Products Used: hardtails
joshwalee   Racer [Nov 26, 2008]
Strength:

Value for money, climbing abiltiy, incredible descents.

None found yet.

I bought an '08 Teocali Comp on sale for only $750.00! I ride a K2 lithium for pretty heavy xc. The Teocali picks right up where the K2 leaves off. The components are fair, but perform as well as their higher priced counterparts. With nearly 6" of travel this bike takes on everything I throw at it while laughing and begging for more. My friends stare in disbelief as I take this am bike and make it climb like a hardtail in the steepest, rockiest areas arizona has to offer. I've ditched my third chainring in leu of a bash guard because I love to beat this thing up on every downhill section I can find. The auriga comp brakes do their job well, thanks to the 180 rotor up front. The sram drivetrain is not the quickest of units, but it does provide crisp clean shifts. Amazingly, SR Suntour has done very well with their plush Epicon series, which soaks up everything with ease. I can ride this machine sun-up to sun-down while keeping a smile on my face the whole time!!

Basically... I dare anyone to find an AM bike for $750 that can out perform what the Teocali Freedrive system has to offer. I just don't think it can be done.

Similar Products Used: GT I-drive, 4 bar links.
justalittlecrazynz   Cross Country Rider [Oct 15, 2008]
Strength:

Brilliant Ride good for almost everything.

Strength - its weak
The comp's Components are cheap and nasty

This bike has been a Love - hate relationship.
Don't get me wrong this bike is a great ride but...
Started out with a 2005 model first thing to go was the brakes, they where rubbish. The the seatpost broke. Then the front forks broke. Next was the frame, cracked at two of the welds. Mongoose replaced the frame under warrantee took 8 weeks to get replaced. The new frame 2007 model was lighter but no more reliable. Broke a chainring & front derailer when the bike bottomed out because the new frame was not compatible with the old shock, Shock was replaced but took another 6 weeks, it was crap so bought a Fox shock. Now after less than 20 rides the bottom pivot has broke due to a design flaw. The pin holding the bottom pivot bearing only has a 1mm wall thickness and shears off.
All these problems made worse with Mongoose Australia's poor customer service skills.