Merida AM 800-D All Mountain Full Suspension

• Seat post: XM Comp SB20 31.6
  • Pedal: Shimano M505

[Nov 17, 2011]
Geolf

Strength:

climbs like a bobcat & downs like a cheetah

crappy pedals & seat

I simply love this bike,for long trails & tracks,handles very well,not that heavy for the looks,this is a real all mountain bike,worth every $$$ you paid!

orange patriot,jamis xam,Rocky mountain switch

[May 26, 2011]
greenman

Strength:

Smooth gears, great brakes, suspension, value for money (price is in $nz not $us)

pedals the bike came with

I'm loving this bike- eats up single track and stops on a dime. Its the first full suspension bike I have had and its a revelation. I have changed the pedals and put on a more comfortable seat but don't plan any other changes to it. It is great value for money: the best deal I found under $2000. Its a great bike for single track but I will use my 29er for long rides on the gravel roads- its faster and more comfortable on a long haul.

Avanti Scratch hardtail 29er

[Mar 07, 2011]
hazza

Strength:

Very well built and very reliable.

This bike is a bit heavy though but tht doesnt worry me at all

i would recommend this bike to someone who loves taking there bike out for a bash on a rough trail.

[Jun 20, 2009]
arjnshadow

Strength:

Well designed frame. Its might look like a very heavy and bulky bike but it handles like a 10-12kg bike. The Hayes Stroker Trail brakes are excellent. Might have to get the pads or the disc cleaned unless you can put up with squeaky brakes. The Maxxis Mininon DH tyres are an excellent stock tyre, great grip while not being heavy and weighing you down on those hill climbs. Front suspension RockShox Domain 302 115-160mm are a great all mountain suspension system.

Handle bars are very wide. Makes it interesting for your first few rides. Nothing wrong with it as it helps your stability at higher speeds however at low speeds can become a bit dicey unless your in control of the bike and are used to a little more swing with your arms for the same result. One other thing that is missing and would be nice on the bike is remote lookout on both the front and rear shock.

The Merida One-Five-O 880-D (2009 Model) is an excellent All Mountain bicycle. It combines a quality frame from Merida weighing at a modest 14kg (feels alot lighter) with quality parts from RockShox, Hayes and Shimano.

The Rock Shox Domain 302 with the adjustable travel makes your life that much easier. Instead of having to compromise at the shop the 115-160mm allows you to enjoy the smooth and bump free downhills while still tearing it up on the uphill stretches. The U-turn is very easily to adjust but a bit of personal advice, don't over tighten the spring otherwise the great adjustable travel becomes an annoying either 115mm or 160mm no adjustable shock.

The Hayes Stroker Trail brakes are excellent. The 8" front rotor and 7" rear rotor provide a great combination of stopping power which will stop this light bike on a dime (pretty much Merida have put a downhill size and quality brake on this All Mountain beast). For those of you that are thinking that this is too much braking power the answer is NO!!! They are very easily to moderate with your input being their exact output. For instance, if you just tap them they hardly react, however if you hold them down they will lock up instantly for you. I have used Avid juicy 3s and these out do them by a mile. These brakes are very responsive and will prevent you falling down cliffs as they have done for me a couple of times.

The X-Fusion O2 PVA rear shock is great for this bike. It is a great complement to the rockshox's up front. Having 4 different modes from full active to lock-out it allows you to hit those 4-5 foot drops while also climbing those 8% or greater gradient hills. I have knocked mine around the World Cup X-country track, Downhill Course and 4X track at Mt. Stromlo, Canberra, Australia and it handled each one excellently.

In summing up I would recommend this bike to those of you who enjoy all types of riding and don't want to own a XC bike and a DH bike. It combines both aspects nicely and also won't disappoint those of us who have been riding for a while as well. Its a great bike which I have had heps of fun on already and I know there is a lot more to come in the way of enjoyment from this bike. Go and have a test ride of one and I promise you, it won't disappoint.

Merida 880 Race Road Bike

[Aug 27, 2008]
agustinv

Strength:

Design. good handling bike. climbs like an xc bike.

none so far aside from the stock shock

Got this bike because I wanted a longer travel frame. I came from an xc bike with a 4" travel and surprisingly the AM800 climbs as well as my previous rig. luckily I got it with a fox RP3 shock and hands down with its play and performance. no complaints so far...I would recommend this bike for its good design, materials used and bang for the buck!

[Jun 07, 2008]
All Mountain Magnus
Downhiller

Strength:

Very versatile. Perfect for downhillers / freeriders who wants to ride trails and climb by them self for a change. Also good for XC racers who wants more downhill skills.

As for the other guy here the seat broke and it was glued not velded. Not good! Steep angels. But somehow it handles drops, and jumps and gnarly stuff very well. So I don´t know wheater the angels is a weaknes or not. Makes the bike climb very well.

Good downhiller and strong climber. I use it for XC, all mountain tours and tight downhill tracks were bikehandling comes before speed and monster drops. Fits very well in to the description of an all mountain mountainbike. If you go for downhill mabe 1 week a year this is the bike to have. If you live in Whistle or Are this bike can be to much of a compromise. For riding in Chamonix this bike would however be great, given that Cham riding mainly consists of gnarly trails.

None.

[Jun 01, 2008]
Max

Strength:

I like rear-shock and brakes. I really want hydraulic brakes and really like it :)

Pedals... just terrible. I change it to a good one (DMR V12) in the next 3 days. I don't like fork because of oil leaks.

I choose this bike cause i like the color of the frame and hydraulic brakes. I think that i make a right decision and buy a full suspension. It rocks.

It's my first really good bike

[May 07, 2007]
Stu Fraser

Strength:

Phat mutha brakes! Also a light bike considering its staked w features.

Seat broke out of shaft when my butt landed on the front of it. This revealed it wasn't welded but had been glued into place.

My riding ability increased tremedously as a result and it handles everything I've thrown at it thus far from jumps, drops, bumpy trails etc.

Mongoose Aggressor Pro