Maverick Durance All Mountain Full Suspension

• Rims: Mavic EN 321 Disc
  • Spokes: DT DB 2.0/1.8
  • Handlebars: FSA 25mm rise 25.4

Roraigh   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2010]
Strength:

Incredibly robust and light. Hill climbing second to none

Need some special tools for suspension servicing and spare parts are more difficult to get quickly in Europe

I bought this bike two years ago from a friend. It is now six years old and apart from routine replacement of smallarts (chainset, brake pads, monolink bearings) it has all the original parts. It climbs like a mountain goat - no flexing under pressure like some full suspension machines. I do all my own maintenance and apart from full strip of forks (DUC) and the rear shock, I can do everything with standard tools and the manuals on Maverick's website.

For its size and travel, the weight is incredible. Mine weighs in at 27 lbs. This is impressive for an aluminium framed bike of this toughness.

I have hammered it every weekend and two years in a row coming down Mount Kenya in the 10 to 4 race in Africa. I've ridden it hard in Wales and in the Alps in France. Coming down big descents is a real joy with the degree that it stays true to line and soaks up the punishment I give it. Since installing the blue Enduro oil seals on the forks, the fork legs are bone dry and smooth as silk. I have blagged rides on every bike I can, nothing I have ridden is as good as the Mav! I also like riding a bike that is a bit different to the run of the mill XC bikes.

Cost new is expensive, but if I needed a replacement, I would simply buy another one.

Similar Products Used: Trek Evo
RustyMallard   Cross Country Rider [Oct 26, 2009]
Strength:

Climbs like a billy goat,the harder you pedal the harder it bites into the ground. Pedals like a hard tail. Makes downhills easy and fast. Un-real how well this bike performs. Rails corners like it is on a track.

The only weakness was the stock tires,Huthchinson Barracudas,They were only good in soft loamy soil. Swithching to Kenda Nevegals made a night and day difference.

I first rode this bike at the Interbike Dirt Demo, and instantly fell in love with the way it rode. I compared it to a lot of high end XC and All Mountain bikes,all of them were very nice, but the Maverick was the only one that I thought was worth spending my money on. The other bikes rode so similar to my bike it wasn't worth parting with the hard earned green backs. The Maverick is a different beast altogether,it instills confidence down hill and climbs like a goat.The bike appears heavy(looks are decieving) so people are very surprised how fast it is. The shifting of both derailers is the best I have ever had.(I was slighlty concerned about the front,because of a post I read here. It is not an issue).The suspension is easily adjustable. The travel is Plush. The lockout on the fork works great,but I rarely need to use it. The remote adjustable seatpost is incredible(I was going to remove it to lighten the bike,no way,now that I have used it.) Bottom Line this is the BEST BIKE I have ever bought(I have a lot of bikes). Customer service has been excellent and personable. Chris and Mike really care about their customers and actually remember who you are.

Similar Products Used: S-works Enduro,S-works Stumpjumper,Enduro
font9a   Weekend Warrior [Aug 14, 2008]
Strength:

rides any category of riding without considering whatever you thought you might ride.

proprietary parts (o-rings, bearings, small parts)

This is just a follow up review after last year's. I learned how to really climb technical stuff this year by riding with fellows who don't put in miles, they just session sections. That has helped my riding immensely.

The pump tracks in Austin rule. At least 3 times a week I work out at the pump track. It's so different from my DJ bike, but makes me 17 times a better rider -- keeps the core so super strong.

Maintenance has been a dream once I invested in the right tools (not inexpensive: use only Park, Mac, Craftsman, Pedros, or Snap-On).

2 years of hard riding later and my bike feels brand new again.

-- f9a

Similar Products Used: Ellesworth, Santa Cruz, Specialized Epic & 2008 Enduro, SEVEN, Klein, Yeti, CycleCraft
burgundy snake   Weekend Warrior [Jul 24, 2008]
Strength:

Climbing – Unrivaled! I can clean sections easily now that I’ve never been able to do in 15 years of riding and on a heavier bike! It climbs like a mountain goat. The DURANCE has excellent tracking and sticky traction with no pedal feedback. The rear tire stays firmly planted. It still gives me that giddy feeling after climbing and surviving a knarly section of loose single track, like Toad’s!

Descending – Magic carpet ride! Smooth descent with no brake jack. Hang on and enjoy the ride! When it's all over, pinch yourself to ensure you're not dreaming!

$$$ Although you get what you pay for. With that being said, it is well worth it! So it is not really a weakness, but rather an investment.

Ride Style: All-Mountain - epic climbs, raging technical descents.

I wanted something that would outperform my Truth in every way. I was fed up with all the marketing hype, and shops pushing what they carried. I wanted to know the true performance and the engineering behind the design. So I spent a 6-months researching, sketching free-body diagrams, and performing dynamic analyses on suspension designs. I wrote my own fit calculator after a ton of research on cycling fit theory and measuring bikes. And I demo’d everything I could find including an IF custom build for a rider my height. I convinced myself that the mono-link was the way to go due to it’s simplicity and performance. Although it was humbling to concede that I may have to go custom. I started a dialogue with SEVEN, then the DURANCE was released in XXL! I Jumped on it. I chose the Specialized E150 XL fork (with upgraded internals) for its size, weight, and performance. (Sorry, you can’t buy the fork separately). When available, the
DUC-36 will be a nice match for this bike.

My DURANCE makes my Truth feel like a fish out of water! Blows away the Remedy and Enduro as well. Demo one to experience the difference. There is a reason SEVEN uses the mono-link. Note: To get the full benefit you must ensure that your front and rear suspension work in unison for your weight. A good shop makes all the difference!

Similar Products Used: Maverick ML8, Yeti 575, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, Turner 5-Spot, RFX, Ellsworth Truth
Font Ninea   Weekend Warrior [Jun 24, 2007]
Strength:

All-around great performer. 6 inches up front, 5+ in the rear. Exceptionally clean design that works efficiently and flawlessly. 2 adjustments on the DUC32, 1 adjustment on the rear strut. (AR-types can further tune the suspension by working with various oils and valves.)

Proprietary parts (front Hub, DUC32 fork, rear strut) may be a drawback for some -- although I find Maverick's parts second to none.

well, at 25.6 lbs it's the lightest of the 6 inch bikes I've ever ridden. I like climbing, and the weight is certainly nice to get below 30 lbs (Nomad, FXR).

This is the first time I comitted to a full suspension design with 3 rings in front.... I come from the world of rigid and front-sprung singlespeeds. I've added gears from time to time to deal with the mountainous western states, and now my body demands the kind treatment only Maverick can provide.

It's taken me 8 weeks of riding this bike everyday to appreciate how different it is from other bikes. Picking the shortest line, not the smoothest... Pedaling over and though every obstacle, being able to ride twice as far for twice as long and only my legs getting tired...

I don't know if it's the best All Mountain bike out there or not, but it sure feels dialed in, responsive as my hardtail, and so much more forgiving. The weird limestones we have in Central Texas that are always sharp and always pointing the wrong direction really allow this bike to shine the "parallel path" technology. The faster you go, the better the bike handles. (Even though slow-speed handling is excellent.)

I've got it about as light as it can go with lots of lightweight parts and vanity stuff (e.g. pedals, saddle), but wow, what a great experience for 4,6,8 hours in the saddle at a time.

Also, I paid a premium getting it so parted out with custom stuff. The 3999 price is for the base model from Maverick direct with a nice parts kit, but certainly not the fanciest.

Also, I had to invest a bit of money in a lot of mew tools I didn't already own (like an indexed torque wrence, Torx sockets, Avid bleed kit, some Shimano XTR tools, a Mavic eyelet tool for the 819s, a campy bottom bracket tool for the FSA carbon headset, etc., etc.)

This bicycle makes mountain biking feel like cheating.

-- font9a

Similar Products Used: Foes FXR, Specialized S-Workd FSR, Ibis Mojo, Santa Cruz Nomad.
Jeff   Cross Country Rider [Apr 22, 2008]
Strength:

Active and efficient Monolink suspension. Climbs extremely well. Long travel makes downhill a pleasure.

Price. Some Maverick-only parts required.

After test riding the Klein Palomino and Seven Duo 5, I knew I wanted a Maverick. I came off of a Specialized Epic and was tired of not having an active rear suspension. My bike before the Epic had a very active rear suspension but was very energy draining. The main selling point for me is the Monolink suspension. Since the bottom bracket travels with the rear wheel, the geometry stays the same and there is no (or no perceived) loss of energy while pedaling. I stay in the saddle and let the suspension keep the wheels firmly planted.

Overall, the bike is a pleasure to ride; uphill, downhill, flats, doesn't matter. I highly recommend checking out any model Maverick builds.

Similar Products Used: Test rode a Klein and Seven with the Monolink suspension. Nothing else can be considered as similar.
jamie Alackness   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2008]
Strength:

Climbing out of the saddle in big gears, if you like to mash away at the pedals the same way you can on a hardtail look no further. I found myself climbing 2-3 gears higher on the Durance than my Moto-Lite. The DUC fork really suprised me very stiff and smooth.

The Mono-Link suspension does stiffen under breaking and through breaking bumps. I only did one ride on the Durance and I think with a few tweaks to the rear strut I could resolve these issues. The front deraileur rubbed slightly in low gears no shifting issues it's just annoying. Like all great bikes the price is high.

I was really surprised by this bike. It gives you the sensation that someone is pushing you up the hill as you climb it's sureal. I spent a good amount of time talking to Charlie about tuning the Fork and Strut. The major issue I had with the bike was on the downhill thrugh rocky and rutted sections the rear suspension didn't suck up the bumps as well as My Moto or the Epiphany. That being said Charlie assured me that he could tune the strut to my liking. He had pages and pages of rider feedback and suspension settings depending on weight and riding style. The tuning options are endless and talk about simple. I really enjoyed riding the Durance and think it has great potental. I think it would make a great single speed do to it's climbing prowess. All an all it's a great bike and there aren't many bikes that I would consider better it definatly blows the doors off all the VPP bikes I've ridden and the Epiphany and the Stumpy with the brain shock are probably the only 5inch bikes that can match it's climbing ability. I would tell pretty much anyone to put the Durance on their must ride list. It may just surprise you as much as it did me.

Similar Products Used: Titus Moto-Lite current bike, Ellsworth Epiphany, Foes FXR, Yeti 575, Intense Spider29er, Intense 5.5Fro
Benjamin Hartford   Cross Country Rider [Jan 01, 2008]
Strength:

Great climber and descender, this bike does it all. The suspension on the Duc 32 is 6" and is huge but still nimble and the rear monolink suspension is money as it is efficient and at 5" give you the ride your looking for. The frame is also ~5.5 lbs so it is among the lightest you will find. Finally, the geometry is solid and you will ride this bike with confidence. I can't tell you how many times I have come down a section of trail and gone off line and thought I was going to yard sale when despite my best efforts to wreck the bike pulls the section out and I just shake my head and thank god and my credit card I got this bike.

Well, you have to pay to play with this bike. Performance has its price and that price is expensive. Also, one of the bikes strengths is also a weakness the suspension being proprietary if you have any mechanical issues you may run into issues that require service from Maverick or a shop that stocks parts for repair which may be hard to find if you are on a biking trip.

This is the best bike I have ever ridden and if you can swing the price tag you will have a permagrin when coming down the mountain