Kona Dawg All Mountain Full Suspension

We've put some added meat and muscle into our backcountry scrambler. More aggressive geometry, faster suspension, beefier components and stiffer all-around construction-like a new 1.5" tapered headtube, the new and improved Dawg comes keen to attack obstacles with tongue a flappin'. For those looking to enter the world's universe of backcountry burl for the first time, or just a beautiful bike with no boundaries, this is your new best friend.

Soundtallica   All Mountain Rider [May 02, 2012]
Strength:

Sexy looking bike (2009 model), great descender, very stiff frame, scandium is sexy, climbs decently, fun nature, low maintenance pivots

Long wheelbase makes it feel a little sluggish on flats, simple suspension design is more susceptible to bob and brake jack than others (nothing propedal can't fix), stock stem looks cool but is flexy.

This bike may not be the best bang for the buck, the most efficient suspension design, and nor is it the lightest. But like a true Kona, none of that matters because the thing is so darn fun to ride. The 2009 model that I have has 6 inches of travel, so it's biased toward the downhills, and it kills them. The suspension is supple, the angles are dialed, and the frame is super stiff. It's pretty good on uphills too due to its light scandium frame, as long as you use the propedal and proper body positioning to keep the front end from wandering on steep climbs. Its only drawback ride-wise is that it can feel a bit sluggish on flats, probably due to its long wheelbase and chunky tires, but that's a worthy compromise. Oh, and that boxy Kona stem may look cool, but it's too flexy for aggressive riding. Switch it out.

Similar Products Used: Heavy ass Iron Horse Warrior FS, Mongoose Teocali
Firepoint24   Cross Country Rider [Jan 31, 2012]
Strength:

Solid frame and rear suspension. Did not come with OEM components so I cannot review those. However the bike is a solid platform to grow from.

It is Heavy! Also the rear triangle meets at the rear tire with a few extra parts and screws, no welds. This adds a weak point as well as a location for additional maintenance.

Overall I am happy with the bike. I have been riding a hard tail Marin since 1997 but lost a disc in my lower bake and went to a full suspension bike to save what I have left. It is a different kind of riding but the Kona is a solid bike. It would be a great bike to get used and replaced the OEM parts as they fail to make one great riding bike. After riding a steel Marin the Kona is heavy which takes some getting use to, but the trade off for the five inches of travel and the ability to continue to ride has been worth it.

253mtnbmadness   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2009]
Strength:

Great climber with the fox pro pedal, 5" of suspension travel makes for a great decender as well.

Wheelsets are lame imo they have needed to be trued every time I've rode the bike. THrow the clip in pedals away if you want to ride all mountain... they're terrible for jumping and decending.

This is a great bike all around. I know I'm having a great time on it and can floor it off jumps and drops 4-6'0" so far. Lots of fun just will change out my wheelsets in the future for more reliability.

Similar Products Used: just test rode a couple bikes, specialized fsr expert and giant, not sure of the model cause I felt is sucked.
tgoogs   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2008]
Strength:

For '08 Dawg. Strong, tough bike yet nimble. I'm 220 lbs and this thing doesn't buckle, period. Able to carve tight corners and feel spry (enough) on xc runs (firmly believe fox pro-pedal helps here). Geometry (long top tube) suits my long torso/short legs. Componentry rocks as far as I'm concerned, especially hayes stroker hydraulic brakes & shimano xt shadow rear.

Folks complain about bike weight, but at 5'10", 220 lbs, I can only complain about my own. I've also heard complaints that the Marzzochi XC600 doesn't have adjustable travel - no issues here up or downhill, just a blast to ride.

Best cost/value ratio I could find in an "all-mountain" full sus bike. That fit my crazy long-ass torso/short legs. Great bike for weekend warriors & heavier riders looking for worry-free fun on all terrain and trail types other than big drops/jumps.

Similar Products Used: '05 Dawg.
IcePack   Weekend Warrior [Aug 11, 2008]
Strength:

Very good climber and fun descender. Strong. Predictable - inspire confidence.

None.

The DAWG is a great do it all bike, slightly overbuilt (reasonable weight penalty) like most Kona's but that was an advantage in my case - I rode and abused it for 3 year and it held perfectly. All day rides or short technical onces all were fun with the DAWG.

Similar Products Used: Trek 7000,SC Bullit,Haro X3
Rembrandt   Weekend Warrior [Jul 09, 2008]
Strength:

Built tough. Good overall climber and downhiller, good value. I bought the 2004 Dawg new, but in 2006, so I got a great deal on it. Very good looking bike. Strong and solid. It wil take you anywhere.

A bit heavy. Crappy color.

This bike can do anything! Regardless of whether you've been riding a year or twenty, you will have fun seeing what this bike can do. Very strong, does well under pressure. I've been riding it for two years and only had to replace the front brake pads. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Kona Coiler, Various Specialized bikes
xaqori   Cross Country Rider [Jul 08, 2008]
Strength:

light weight compared to last
strong joints
price paid
handles well

rear shock not adjustable

this is just about the best bike that you could get for the price. the components are easy to replace, comes with decent stock stuff, and is very fun to ride. i would reccomend to my friends, but they're not to keen on ridin.
THIS IS AN UTTERLY OUTSTANDING BIKE!

Similar Products Used: ibex ignition
(if u want to buy contact me at
turf@mindspring.com)
William   Weekend Warrior [May 16, 2008]
Strength:

Relatively light, decent spec, Kona burly-ness/agility

Weak front fork offering, crappy Shimano pedals

This is for the new '08 Dawg.

Sweet bike overall.

Nice geometry to do it all. This is truly a fine all-mountain bike. Tough enough to handle a little light freeriding/North Shore style stuff, but light enough to rip through some all-day rides.

We'll see how tough the Scandium frame is over time.

Decent drivetrain specs, although I killed my XT Shadow RD on the first ride on some blowdown. The Stroker Trail Discs are very nice. RP2 shock is decent, but the XC600 TST2 fork is a little sticky, I may upgrade to a 55 next season.

Similar Products Used: None
Trent Theriault   Cross Country Rider [Sep 26, 2005]
Strength:

tough as h@LL, eats up the mountain, rolls over huge obstacles and flies down gnarly downhills but can climb like a burro up hills.

heavy but so's my beer gut, and stock front suspension is good but needed upgrading, again for my beer gut.

It's the sheeet for an all mountain bike, not a racer but neither am I, I'm 185 lbs 5-11 tall and do mostly technical singletrack with descents and try to keep my climbing to the pavement. My dawg excells at the sort of rocky, sandy/hard pack that I live in and seems to love the pummice of Mammoth as well. I have one note of caution though, make sure you adjust your suspension for the conditions you are riding in. Mine was set a stiff for x-country and so I found myself bounced around a bit on Mammoth's Skid Marks and Bullet downhill runs while following my Bro on his 7 inch freeride bike. Other than that this bike is the bomb, don't be afraid of my sticker price though as I got the shop to upgrade me out the door, and got an exchange on all the stock stuff, got it just the way I wanted it.

Similar Products Used: first full suspension rig- rode hardtail for 7 years before I made the jump and durn glad I did.
Evan   Cross Country Rider [Feb 11, 2007]
Strength:

2004 Dawg. Great geometry for epic rides. Simple design. Economical but smart parts spec. Climbs well, not great, but well.

The stock Marzocchi is great for durability and general use, but I felt it was inadequet when I really started pushing it out west.

I enjoy long technical xc rides out west. I like that this bike can handle it all (including runs at whistler). The bike is not a great climber, but this is no fault of the suspension. The same geometry that makes it so great everywhere else compromises it's climbing prowess. The bike is also a tad heavy stock, but is in line with the price/intended use. I would classify this bike as designed for more agressive riding than many other bikes in it's class. I should also note that the Fox fork has proven to be less durable than the stock fork. That said, I still felt the stock fork rough compared to other offerings.

Similar Products Used: Cannondale Rush, Giant trance, Trek liquid, Specialized FSR designs.