Knolly Endorphin All Mountain Full Suspension

The Endorphin is Knolly's lightweight Swiss Army knife of a bike that can do everything and do it well. Geared towards the aggressive rider, the Endorphin climbs efficiently and descends the roughest terrain with ease. Looking for an exceptionally well-rounded bike that can do it all? The Endorphin is your answer. Brand new design for 2013, the Endorphin can accept a plethora of fork options from 140-160mm of travel and at just 6.5 lbs. can easily be built up to the mid twenties while handeling the title "sturdy all-mountain ripper". Don't let the lightweight fool you, this frame can take a thrashing! Meticulously designed to be the 'one bike' for talented riders who happen to huck, jump and drop on their way around the mountain. A 1.5? head tube allows any fork / headset combo you want including Cane Creek's Angeleset. Additional features include cable routing for dropper seat posts, ISCG-05 tabs for chain guides, and Knolly total performance in every aspect of riding. Features: -Sizes: S, M, L, XL -Available Colors: Anodized Black, Day Glo Yellow, Raw and Britania Blue -Head Tube: Tapered 1.5", 44mm top and bottom headset cups -Suspension Linkage: Patented and proprietary Four by 4 Linkage -Tire Clearance: 26 x 2.5" -Front Travel: 140-160mm (5.5-6.3") -Rear Travel: 140mm (5.5") with Fox Float CTD shock -Rear Hub Spacing: 142mm x 12mm thru axle (included) -Dropouts: Replaceable derailleur hanger

Kane   All Mountain Rider [Jun 04, 2017]
Strength:

Climbing and decending are perfect

Had a pivot screw break, but it was the wrong screw so..

Climbs and decends like a beast and is very good on technical decents. Have ridden for a year and has been my most reliable bike. Its also very nimble so you can throw it around

JLastavec   All Mountain Rider [Jan 27, 2017]
Strength:

Amazing traction, efficient climber, stiff light frame, confident descender, high quality hardware/linkages, reliable

Fox ctd shock, peddle bob without climb switch

I bought this bike, frame only, summer of 2015 after cracking the frame of a banshee spitfire V1. It was the last model run of the 26" endo (2014 frame) for $1300usd. It's been two full seasons of awesome. The build was super easy, the quality of the frame is tops. The bike really can do everything, 40km trail rides to light park duty. The fox ctd shock was the weakest point, it failed half way through the first season, I replaced it with a rockshox monarch deluxe which offered a firmer climb mode and better descending characteristics. I did replace the lower main bearings after season two due to some lateral movement, it cost a whopping $24 cdn and took all of 30mins to replace. I know 26" bikes are out dated and this review is a little late to the party, but if your looking for something that will still rip with 650b's and you don't want to junk your 26" wheel set and parts, pick an endo up.

Similar Products Used: Banshee spitfire v1
Jimmymats   All Mountain Rider [Nov 29, 2015]
Strength:

Traction climbing and descending, solid and stiff, low and slack geometry. Confident and fun descender in all types of terrain.

Somewhat sluggish on straightforward climbs.

This bike is super fun, especially after getting the Pike and DB Inline. The traction is incredible, especially with the DB Inline. Feels stable and solid, but plush and nimble on the descents. As mentioned, it's a bit sluggish generally when climbing, though it does well up short techy climbs where traction is paramount. The low BB is part of what makes this bike a great descender, but you do have to adjust to avoid pedal strikes. This bike is discontinued as a 26" wheeled model, but I'm sure the 27.5 Endo or the Warden ride similarly.

Similar Products Used: Ibis Mojo SL, SC Blur LTC, SC Bronson (demo), Kona Process 134 (demo), RS Reverb
Dave Davo   Cross Country Rider [Mar 02, 2015]
Strength:

geometry and handling

frame material and construction, weight.

Bought this bike looking for something a bit more stable and burly than my xc bike to hack around the local trails on. It descended and cornered at speed very nicely, climbing was a bit more hard work but if you had the power and form it would dig in nicely and find traction.
My gripe is with the strength of the frame. Whilst it's descent prowess is impressive the strength to weight ratio is way off the mark. I cracked the down tube just below the head set riding tracks I have been hitting on my xc bike for years without issue. I'm 85kg fully kitted and a fairly agressive rider but I expected a LOT more from this bike.

rybrentd   [Sep 19, 2014]
Strength:

Awesome looking bike
Geometry is amazing
Suspension set up possibilities

Fatal flaws - weak grade of aluminum that galls.

I'll start with the positives:

Frame geometry is amazing (I came from a transition double) and comfy for the longer rides, and the suspension can be set up for whatever you want. I ran 25% front/30% rear sag for longer rides, but for steeper trails I ran 20% front/25% rear which helps with bottom out and so it doesn't stay into its travel so much. Cornering is quick and precise, even for the longer wheelbase than I was used to. Climbing is probably the best aspect of this bike because it does it so well on technical stuff. I ran a completely worn out spec the captain tire on the rear on dry dusty trails and it still had amazing traction uphill. Jumps great, but that depends on your sag/rebound for the most part. Overall I would say its an amalgamation (ride quality wise) of a slope/light freeride/cross country bike.

Now the negatives:

I guess I'll be the guy who ruins the five star rating this bike gets (which was one of the reasons I bought it). I tried to be patient with it but I have to say what needs said. The bottom shock slots on the frame are a poor grade of aluminum and gall, rendering the frame unrideable. I Can't believe that in this day and age of manufacturing you would design the frame slots as the wearable part versus the shock hardware. One could argue about tightening bolts to spec, etc. but when you are on the trail and the shock bolt loosens, are you going to carry a torque wrench around everywhere? After ~5 months of riding it the bike is now sitting unrideable, and knolly's customer service response.... silence, which speaks louder than words.

After getting a job as an aluminum manufacturing engineer I can say I'm thoroughly upset with the cost of mountain bikes in general (not specific to knolly, which ironically I think they have one of the best values on their frames), but even more upset that you would design a frame to wear so easily. I am to the point where I am going to use Autodesk Inventor to make some type of fix for this and just pay a professional machinist to make it.

If/when knolly wants to actually help me I will change the review but for now I'm disappointed.

ses emar   All Mountain Rider [Aug 10, 2014]
Strength:

eng'g frame design is awesome

n-a-d-a

when the shoe fits.. this is frame must have (Y)

Similar Products Used: turner.. santa cruz.. trek.. giant.. intense.. specialized.. kona.. jamis
Goinslo   [Oct 25, 2013]
Strength:

The 4x4 suspension is for real. Gobs of traction for climbing rocks roots. Frame is solid, stiff, no flex. The geometry makes this a just a fun bike to ride. The Britania Blue is awesome, pictures never do it any justice.

Well if there is any weakness, it would be $$$. I almost did not pull the trigger on this one, but glad I did and would/will do it again without hesitation. I wouldn't knock it for not being the fastest climber or park bike because that's not the target for this bike.

I bought the Endo without having ridden one, let alone see one in person, or personally spoken to someone who has owned one. I read the reviews here and asked for a few opinions on the Knolly forum and rolled the dice. I built mine up as a light trail rig, 26 lbs with proven components. I do just as much climbing as I do decending out there, I love the way the Endo eats up terrain, its a very good at climbing technical stuff, its not jack rabbit fast going up hill but holds it own very well. When the trail points down, its is an absolute blast, very confidence inspiring. This thing loves to corner, just let off the brake and lean it over. Its not an XC racer or DH/Freeride bike, but it does everything in between very well. If you ever get a chance to ride one, do it, and find out why it keeps getting 5 chilis!

nomad8604   All Mountain Rider [Aug 22, 2013]
Strength:

Build quality , stiffness, handling, awesome company, awesome bikes

Haven't found one yet

I've been riding my Endorphin hard for 6 months and still grin ear to ear every ride. The bike climbs well and the rear wheel sticks to the ground like glue. Pointed downhill, the bikes feels like my Podium but snappier. It has a side to side quickness like no other bike I've ridden and carves corners with ninja like characteristics . I came off a Nomad and wanted something that would climb better but not suffer on the downs. If you are an aggressive rider then this bike should be top of your list. I have yet to find a bike that feels as good as Knolly. This bike is designed for the rider to have a blast on the ups and downs; the most fun bike I have ridden to date.

Similar Products Used: Nomad
Sam   Downhiller [May 28, 2013]
Strength:

Light with the right build; feels very stable at high speeds and jumps, but also easy to control at low speeds/climbing; Just feels great to ride!

None so far, maybe a bit pricey

Come from downhill biking, this is my first enduro bike, so I was used to heavy and long-travel downhill mashines. Even though, I didn't really miss the comfort of long travel with the Endorphin. I ride it with a fox talas 36 (160mm) and an rp23 and it rather feels like a shorter travelled downhill bike than a XC-racer.
It truly feels like the riders skills is the only limit to what this bike can do, so far it handled all the trails I threw at it with ease!

If you want to get a bike to thrash down technical and/or fast trails with ease but still is able to climb, get the Endorphin!

jim leppard   All Mountain Rider [Dec 21, 2012]
Strength:

This bike carves through corners like no other bike I,ve ridden. Pointing it downhill , i am not only confident in how it will handle trails like martha creek, but i am giddy with a s---- eating grin at the start and finish. It may not be the lightest climber but it sticks to every root, rock, whatever... making technical climbs doable to the limit of your abilities.

Colour choices this year, were not in my pallette, but almost everyone that sees my blue bike raves....who knew....

After testing numerous bikes in this realm from transition, devinci, specialized, and the like on the same one hr trail with climbs, xc, dh with drops, berms and steeps I kept thinking about the endorphin. My last frame broke, and I lost confidence in knolly but the new frame has more than addressed past issues. it feels as good or better, and knollys support guys went way out and beyond to return 'the stoke'. If you are an xc rider with a bent for aggro or dh type rides, i think this is the bike you need. really....

Similar Products Used: transition bandit and covert, devinci dixon,variety of specialized bikes(great demo program), trek and giant....my shop in town let me take bikes home and ride them on trails that i needed to ride to make up my mind.