KHS AM 2000 All Mountain Full Suspension

-Alloy 4-bar linkage frame with sealed bearing pivots and a Fox DHX 3.0 rear shock, adjustable travel to 4, 5 or 6"
-Marzocchi Dropoff 130mm travel front suspension
-FSA Pig headset
-27-speed drivetrain with Shimano Hone crankset, shifters and derailleurs
-WTB Weirwolf 26x2.3" tires
-Shimano Hone 6" hydraulic disc brakes
-Truvativ riser bar, stem and seatpost

Kevin   Weekend Warrior [Dec 16, 2009]
Strength:

(2007 AM2000) Quality welds, Price, Tire clearance, Excellent handling

The 2007 KHS AM2000 is an awesome ride and an excellent buy. I bought my AM2000 frame to replace my LD-526H frame that broke in half. At 6'-4" and 210 lbs, I ride my KHS every bit as hard as I did my LD-526H and I haven't had any trouble from it. I set mine up as a single speed using a Yess ETR-V chain tensioner and it still climbs better than any 35 lb bike should and descends like a banshee. Its an excellent ride.

My ONLY reservation with the AM2000 would be an oscillation in the steering that occurs if you ride hands-free at 30+ mph. Scarey!

BYOB and go ride it!

Similar Products Used: Schwinn Rocket 88, Trek VRX300, Leader LD-526H
nagatahawk   Weekend Warrior [Oct 15, 2008]
Strength:

this is my follow up after one year. Strong build. Crashed big time on a rocky downhill, I still recovering, the bike was unscathed! The bike still shifts like new, all bearing are good.

wheels feel a little on the heavy side. I don't like the platforms, I switched recently to spds/platforms. I can really tell the difference pedaling and overall control of the bike. I destroyed 3 shocks, they should be installed inverted to prevent the shock from hitting the linkage as I recently found out. I went to a Fox DHX Coil 5.0, its super plush and can be adjusted to any type of riding conditions. I run it with the lowest propedal settings and there is no pedal bob and gives you that smooth coil cushion. I can't get the forks to really work the way I like them. I will probably go to air/coil fork.

I like the color, flat gun metal grey with subdued graphics.
great all around bike and bang for the buck. I even use it to do neighborhood run. I'll be looking for some curb jumps!

After one year of trail riding on Local SoCal trail. the bike is holding up well, so far I broke out some spokes when a branch jammed into the rear wheel, bent a rear hanger when I fell in a rock garden. Crashed on a rocky downhill, the bike survived with out damage.

the Manitou Pearl rear shock had to be replaced three time because it hit the linkage, I should be inverted. I now have a Fox DHX coil which run at 5.5 travel. It felt to cushy at 6 inches of travel.

The front forks are Marzocchi AM2, I can never get the air foks to feel right. but they have not leaked or broken anything.

The stock Weineman rims are narrow and heavy, but have taken all the abuse I have thrown at them so far.

The Hone components work as well as any Shimanos I have ever ridden. the Hubs are good, shifts well,

I didn't like the platform pedal, but that's personal preference. I have swithed to a set of Spd platforms. I can pull out and use the platforms on downhill or super technicals. I feel I have more overall control over the bike when clipped in.

Similar Products Used: Giant NRS air, Specialized M4 hardail(hated it)
Simon Lee   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2008]
Strength:

This is a 2007 AM2000 frame.Peddles very well for a 30lbs plus bike. Frame is well made and honestly can not tell the difference with other boutique bike besides the color. rides very similar to Turner 6 pack. Well made.

Rockshox 3.3 is a decent shock but lack butter smoothness of DHX 5.0. With floodgate half way closed, it's too harsh and I would only recommand only during climbing uphill. Fly seatpost collar will not work on this fram due to possible contact with rear linkage when bottoming out.

A solid bike if you're not too concerned about its branding. Ascends really well and decending is ok but not great even with the floodgate opened all the way. I will swap the rear shock soon with Fox dhx 5.0 coil 7.75/250. I think changing the rear shock will definitely give this bike a new life. Not that it's bad now.

Similar Products Used: Turner 5.5, Turner 6pack, Kona stinky,
Charles Joseph   Weekend Warrior [May 23, 2008]
Strength:

Price, looks, adjustable rear travel, WTB Weirwolf 2.3 tires, Truvativ 31.8 bars & Stem, price.

KHS customer service. Weinmann rims are fairly generic. Hone components are not compatible with other industry standard Shimano or Sram parts. Linkage bearings wear out very quickly and the frame begins to rattle if they are not replaced. KHS advertises this bike as coming with the Marzocchi ALL MOUNTAIN 2 fork (made in Italy), it ACTUALLY comes with the AM 2 fork (made in China) and is an entirely different, lower quality fork. Also noteworthy: The Rockshox Pearl shock has to be installed so that the valve side is inverted when the frame is in the 6" travel position or the air valve will be sheered off by the linkage!

A decent bare bones, poor man's all mountain bike for the price. That being said, this will most likely be my last KHS bike. Dealing with KHS customer service is ridiculous. When your linkage bearings wear out after only 100 miles of use, you shouldn't be charged to replace them! If you ever have a warranty issue DEFINITELY have the bike shop where you bought it, even if it was mail order, deal with KHS. You will have much better results. KHS doesn't seem to care about the individual consumers. Also, note my "weaknesses" section. Thee are a few too many entries in that section for me to be a 3rd time customer.

Similar Products Used: 1998 K2 Beast, 2003 KHS FR2000
CJ   Downhiller [Jun 02, 2007]
Strength:

super strong frame, 4 bar suspension design

Fox DHX 3.0 was leaking right out of the box, Fox easily remedied problem.

Great bike for all conditions, mine is set up for more freeride. You can set this bike up for your specific riding style. Great bike.

Similar Products Used: Haro Extreme, K2 Tirade
Chad Rogers   Downhiller [Jan 22, 2006]
Strength:

Great all around handling. carves unbelivably well. very responsive suspension. not heavy at only 36 lbs. the full hone group is unbelivable.

none yet

this is a great bike for cross country, all mountain and free ride. comes with great components and is a great bike. I have been riding it non stop for about a week and the shocks are well broken in already. 6" of plush travel will handle about anything. and being light enough to maneuver like a cross country bike is a great thing to have in a bike like this.

Similar Products Used: Giant DH1
Darren   Weekend Warrior [Jan 15, 2006]
Strength:

It is a good pedaling bike on the climbs. The Fox DHX makes sure of that.Very quiet bike,no creaks and groans from the pivot points.The Hone Hydralic disc brakes rock.Marzocchi Drop off fork works very well.WTB WeirWolf tires roll easy and give good traction.

The Hone dual control shifters are a little clunky for my tastes but I have gotten used to them.I like the trigger type of shifters better,going to change out the Hone's later.It doesn't have a quick release for the rear wheel. I have had a flat and it is not hard to take the wheel off,make sure you have a 5mm allen wrench with you.

This is a great all mountain bike. Pedals good on climbs and is very stable on fast and rough downhills. The slack head angle is great for steep downhills,don't get that feeling you are going over the bars like I get with my cross country hardtale.The bike inspires confidence over the rough downhills and terrain. I run a couple of pounds of air in the Marzocchi to help the pedaling uphill yet it is still supple enough to soak up the small bumps.It is a good bike that will give you more confidence on all terrain.

Similar Products Used: Haro Extreme 7 2006 model.
steve torres   Weekend Warrior [Nov 14, 2006]
Strength:

love this bike I got sweet deal frame only,downhills nice,climes good.love the pro-pedal dhx shox

dhx spring 300 too light for me had to upgrade 700

this is a great race bike.

Similar Products Used: khs dj 100
Mark   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2007]
Strength:

This bike does exactly what it's name implies. It does everything very well. Jumps, climbs, blasts through rock gardens, and you feel in complete control on downhills. Nice and sturdy frame, to progress your skills on. Has a smooth quality feel to it

None so far

My only other extensive experience with a long travel trailbike has been on a Coiler deluxe, which I rented up in Sedona. That bike was awesome, so I knew it was time to go full suspension. I had planned to get a Coiler frame, but found this frame for half the price. I know, I've heard all the baggin that people say about KHS, but this frame seems to be built every bit as good as a Kona. Catalogue frame or not, this bike is awesome! (And just so you know, it is the very same frame as a Harvey cycles PNF ).
The Coiler was more towards the Freeride side of all-mountain, so it was more aggressive in the sense that it made you seek out things to drop off. This bike sits right in the middle, being a little bit better climber than the Coiler, and with a longer cockpit to give it a slightly more cross country riding position. It is still every bit as capable at handling drops and stuff, within reason of course. I weigh 240# and this bike doesn't flinch under my weight. It was also nice to discover how balanced the bike feels in the air. it's no dirt jumper but it launches very smoothly, and doesn't feel heavy in the air.
I really don't buy all the hype surrounding VPP, and all the brands that use a version of it. I've ridden an Iron horse 7 point 7, and Giant Riegn, and don't feel that they pedaled any better than this KHS. Weather the bike bobs or not, it doesn't really matter if it's still moving you forward efficiently. Nothing is plusher than a four or faux bar back end, and this bike pedals and climbs awesome for a 36.5# bike. Anyway, this frame makes a superb do all mountain bike.
If you have reservations about being seen on the trail on a KHS, forget about it and swallow your pride! This frame will do everything a bigger band name, or boutique bike will do, and for this price you could buy another to have as a backup!