Jamis Dakar All Mountain Full Suspension

• Tires: Geax Gato, 26 x 2.3” folding
  • Chain: Shimano HG-74, 10-speed
  • Cassette: Shimano HG81, 10-speed, 11-36

ricky928   All Mountain Rider [Mar 27, 2013]
Strength:

Fox DHX 4.0 rear shock. Geometry is good for all mountain riding. Pretty indistructable so far.

Rear dropouts are only set up for 135mm QR. If you add a thru bolt to your rear hub, it may stiffen it up a bit. However, so far I haven't noticed too much lateral flex in the rear. Weight is a little heavy, but it makes for a better workout when climbing. Paint easily chips and flesh color is a little weird, but who cares. Headset is a little weak.

I bought this frame from Jenson USA for $427. I initially purchased the 08 model frame, but they sold out very quickly and gave me the 09 frame for the same price. So far, I'm really liking this frame. I ride National trail in South Mountain regularly and it handles it pretty well. A dropper seat post is a must for me since the head tube angle is not as slack as I'd like it to be and I can shift my weight to the back for big drops and technical sections. I played around with the geometry by putting on different length stems, bars, and forks and I've finally come up with the right set up. I am currently running a 70mm stem with 720mm bars and a 160mm fork. This allows me to ride technical sections and still be able to ride fast in cross country trails. The bottom bracket to me feels a little low as I am hitting rocks with my pedals while climbing, but it seems very stable during descents. The propedal feature of the DHX Air 4.0 is very useful and allows me to climb more effeciently. Overall, it's a pretty plush bike and indistructable. I am looking at upgrading to a 10mm thru bolt on my rear axle to stiffen it up, but it's been fine without it so far. The only reason why I'm not giving it a 5 chili rating is for the weight.

Similar Products Used: 2003 Jamis XLT 2.0
Jordan   Downhiller [Mar 01, 2013]
Strength:

Everything, i love the security of the frame to go dh as fast or faster than anyone on the mountain. It also has the agile componence to freeride! really happy with it.

havent really had one yet besides zip ties rubbing specs of paint off you can hardly tell but thats not really the bikes fault.

the best bike ive ever had so far no problems with it really eccept bent the d railer but that was on me. Good bike!

rcard   All Mountain Rider [Feb 18, 2013]
Strength:

The carbon frame is a piece of art, slx components seem to do good. Rear shock platform works better than presumed. Front shock has great adjustability features. Brakes are strong so far. Thru axels are stout. Overall ride is amazing.

replaced grips and tires before first ride so I can't honestly comment on those but I don't think they were strong points. Will probably replace the seat eventually. Rims not %100 straight and the rotors aren't %100 straight

Jamis xct 3 2011. Paid $1999 from Jenson 1-15-2013. Retailed @$4600. At first i was worried about its climbing ability do to the slack head angel and possible rear shock bob but that was quickly dismissed after the fist climb. This bike likes to go and isn't afraid of anything. I did things on this bike I didn't even consider on my other bikes. Coming off a 2.8" travel xc bike i had no idea how a bike could give you so much confidence. It climbs great, turns great and is a blast when pointed down, it's a fast bike. I'm 6'2" and went with the 17" frame and I felt at home on this bike pretty quick, but i like a smaller frame for the real technical stuff. I always thought my self as a xc style rider but I'm having to rethink this now. This is the bike I could do an all day xc on or do the usual "go out and see what i can do" ride. Although I've only got 1 true trail ride with it so far, I feel Jamis nailed it with this bike and for the price paid I couldn't be happier.

Similar Products Used: 2001 fisher sugar3
19"&17" hard tail
VtVolk   All Mountain Rider [Jul 28, 2012]
Strength:

Suspension design, build, stiff, light, value for money is among the best

Could use a wider set of bars (easy upgrade)

This is a review of the 2011 XCT 1.0. Overall, this bike is amazing, especially for the price. Totally solid build with no junk components anywhere. The Monarch shock is super plush but handles bigger hits with ease. While, climbing, bob is very minimal, and the rear tire sticks to the trail like glue. The XCT scampers up the trail and shines on climbs. I initially was skeptical of the fork...until my first ride! Small bump plushness is among the best I've experienced, and the 15mm thru axle and Mavic wheelset make the front end super stiff and controlled. The bike is light and nimble enough to toss around and get creative with line choice, but I also found it easy to just get back and blast straight through rock gardens and let the Epicon and thru axle rear end do it's thing. It definitely feels like a bigger AM bike on the descents, possibly due to the relatively slack head angle. The drivetrain and brakes are simple and reliable.. The juicy threes are much better than some reviews I've read would lead me to beleive. The 185mm rotor up front helps, I'm sure. Stem, seat post, saddle, and even grips are all really excellent, and I love Jamis's attention to detail. The only upgrades I felt compelled to make were a wider bar, a bash guard to replace the big ring, and some knobbier tires for my local conditions.

Similar Products Used: 2009 Jamis Dakar XCT, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
Shawn   All Mountain Rider [Jul 25, 2012]
Strength:

A great descender and single track bike. It can handle technical trails with ease as well as the climbs. Overall geometry of the bike makes you want to stay out of the saddle to make the most of the trail, but is still efficient and very plush when you're seated. Just in the last week I have really started riding, averaging 30km/day mostly trail riding with the odd side hit and everything is holding up well. The last few rides have been in hot and dry conditions however and the rear brake is sounding with a resonating thumping feel. I have the 2009 model and the fox 4.0 is really great. The fork however is not smooth during stationary observing as it will stick and make a sort of popping noise when it releases from the position. When riding though it isn't that noticeable and the fork actually handles any series of bumps really nicely; and on the contrary to a few reviews of this shock, it will use its entire travel. Overall, its amazing on descents and performs really well on the trails. I've been in a few cross country races and it can definitely leave those carbon cross country bikes behind. I most likely cant even experience its full potential though as I would fit better on a size larger than the 17".

Purchased this bike from a Jamis store and both rims were bent as they wouldn't spin truly. This was fixed with a few adjustments to spoke tension however and the problem hasn't reoccurred since. Not too sure about the brake set, and the seat has its creaking moments.

MSRP for the 2009 model was 2750, I paid 1999 and in comparison to the possibilities out there, you cant get much of a better bike than this one for the price. Therefore, good value and overall its a great all mountain, trail, downhill, single track bike.

Chris G.   All Mountain Rider [Mar 01, 2012]
Strength:

This bike is user friendly. If you are a first time Mt. biker or have been on the trails for years, you will love the feeling of this bike. The shock and the fork lock out to make riding to the top easier. Then unlock them and have the time of your life flying down your favorite trails. This bike will handle all you can throw at it, from big drops, to technical trails, you will not be disappointed.

The fork came with 140mm of travel. It is capable of 160mm of travel, if you know how to remove a spacer in the fork.

Bottom Line, I liked the bike so much after just one day in the mountains I came home and ordered another one. Yes that's right I have two of them. My 14 year old son rides one and pushes it very hard, he has taken it off a 15 ft drop on more than one occasion. My advice to anyone looking for a reliable, dependable bike is " BUY THIS BIKE." I am actually thinking about buying another one for my daughter. Best of luck. (you won't need luck if you are riding a Jamis Dakar XAM 1.0)

Similar Products Used: Felt, Cannondale, Giant, and Specialized, all were full suspension bikes.
mike motto   Cross Country Rider [Dec 01, 2011]
Strength:

good componets

ive broken jamis xct2 2011 frame at seatpost top tube juntion.poor customer service on jamis.its been 4 days and have heard nothing from bike shop.great bike.poor quality

i don't ride hard or do massive drop offs.i'm 51 years old and was told these bikes would handle my weight.wish i would not have bought jamis products.is the next frame they send going to break ? I WOULD RATHER HAVE MY MONEY BACK.and buy a surley black ops.or one of the fat tire bikes and just ride real slow.jamis customer support is bad.or maybe i'll tell them to keep the bike.thanks jamis after riding for more than 20 years.I QUIT

Similar Products Used: 2010 jamis xct2 broken rear chainstays at bottom bracket resulting in low speed separition.no injury
SMcCall   Downhiller [Nov 14, 2011]
Strength:

Beefy frame, pretty much the best components you can get (2009 version). This thing downhills as well as it climbs.

Cable ties, they end up rubbing the paint. I took of the Joplin seat post and sold it because I hear they break easily. But other than that I can't find anything wrong with the bike at all

I would recommend this bike to anyone. I can't believe Jenson was selling this for 2 grand, it has a 5,000 dollar build on it. If you can find the 2009 version BUY IT! It is so sick! It destroys the downhill, park, and uphill. Love it.

Similar Products Used: Kona Operator, Specialized Enduro, Kona Coilair
jpetersm   Cross Country Rider [Nov 13, 2011]
Strength:

agile, smooth. stock geax tires grip great, avid elixer breaks are quiet, fox talis and rp23, well unbelievable, no back pounding or clunking noises like my old bike. sram shifting is intitive and fast, mavic cross ride disk wheel set with bladed straight pull spokes .... unbelievable ride, been to the trail every day so far, can't get enough.

no complaints, it could your an awsome paint job like Mark Cavendish’s Scott "bomber" race bike.

Love It, beating my old times with half the effort. Looks really sharp.