Jamis Dakar XLT All Mountain Full Suspension

Jamis Dakar XLT All Mountain Full Suspension

• Frame: 7005 aluminum
  • Fork: Manitou Relic Comp
  • Headset: WTB Race, internal cup type, 1 1/8"
  • Tires: Maxxis Ignitor
  • Grips: WTB Weirwolf, dual DNA compound
  • Saddle: WTB Laser V Comp with SL top and steel rails

[Jan 16, 2013]
Austin Faxas

Strength:

This bike is like a tank. I recieved from my dad when he got his new kona. Which is also a very good bike. I got it around sixth grade and I'm in 11th now. The bike is very easy to retrofit with new parts. Over the years this bike has not aged a bit. My dad said he got a great deal on the bike.

The bike is a little heavy but with new parts its not bad. For the price and climbing ability it doesn't matter.

For money there is not better bike. I will probably keep this thing for another ten years.

[May 18, 2010]
JJ Ski

Strength:

Strong . reliable. pedals and climbs fairly well. Strength of an AM bike, but handles tight woods , rocks, roots well ( da east coast). Very good value.

heavy as stock. the XLT frame did not have a platform shock. Came with a float R, would be better with RP 23. I think the Swinger shocks of the 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 were not great in the 2005 period

My wife bought for me the whole bike as a present in 05 (paid too much) but these frames can be had for much less. I've ridden it for 5 years without a single problem. Went tubless, added stan's 355 rims, sent suspension to Push for valve/rebuild, and lightened up the drivetrain (all over the 5 yr period). Right now it weighs in at 28.5 lbs, moves out, and is tough.

[Mar 28, 2010]
CROSS COUNTRY BIKER

Strength:

very strong bike nice and stiff for jumps and the components are real nice but mostly custom and its about 30 lbs and is a good smoth ride all though if your looking for a jumper or downhill the parker is the way to go or the bam are both good bikes

this is a reall good bike to buy to bad they dont make it anymore but the xc and xct's are really close and the rear end of the xlt can be replaced by the parker's rear end if ever needed too.

2008 jamis parker 1

[Jul 07, 2009]
dvmobley

Strength:

Bought this frame (2003 XLT 2.0) new in early 2004 and did a self build. Still have yet to do anything major to it. I put lizard skins on both shocks and chain stay; highly recommend this as the shocks are still in near perfect condition. The chain stay protector has saved me from chain suck many times and keeps it looking pretty. The frame weighs like 4 lbs with the shock, yet when built it feels superbly balanced top to bottom. Of course great care was taken picking out the right parts...

...I got one...the paint wears off where the cables rub, but still hasn't rusted.

Awesome bike...if you were lucky enough to get this model you likely still have it. If you want a well designed bike that climbs, descends and jumps easily...this is one of the best. My favorite is not realizing you have rear suspension until locking it out and hitting a bump.

Ellsworth Truth, 2005 XLT, 1999 Dakar XC, Fazzari XC, various other AM/XC rides over the last 10 years

[Jun 23, 2009]
bruteman

Strength:

Solid frame, great climber, no perceptible pedal bob.

Severe chain slap (get a chain stay protector right away), chain alignment is tricky, and it could use a bigger diameter seatpost for us men of girth. I have torqued a couple already. Bigt guys, don't waste your money on anything else--get a Thompson seatpost!

Climbs like a goat, I have had to replace the pivot bearings but that may be from lots of technical downhills and my less than svelte 235lbs.

Scott Reflex 30 hardtail

[Apr 28, 2009]
bigpedaler

Strength:

Sturdy frame, parts pick (mine!)near-bulletproof, a sweet ride!

OEM spec -- Swinger 3 sucks!

26 months, some new parts -- XTR brake cables **sweeeet!**, Manitou Metel coil rear, new spring kit in the Nixon, Super Fortress derailleur cables, ceramic pads in the brakes, Tektro carbon levers -- and this bike rides like it's new all over again! Maybe just a TOUCH firm in the initial bumpsorption, but it acts pretty much like a stable platform! I get NO bob, yet the suspension works. I don't know WHAT I'm gonna do when this frame finally DOES give it up, it's THAT good!

Weyless SP, generics

[Apr 20, 2009]
ecubyrd

Strength:

Good travel and control.

None so far.

I enjoy riding again. I have the confidence that I used to have 10 years. I love it so far. The value rating is reflective of prices in Korea. It is a closeout model basically.

Too many to name over the years

[Oct 24, 2008]
ryanconroy

Strength:

Great Geometry, great climber, lightweight 5 inch bike

Stays are prone to break, maybe the horribleness of the manitou minute

The bottom line is that i abuse this thing, taken it on 6ft + drops and it continues to ride, the geometry is great im really able to swing the bike around to where it needs to be, as well as being able to climb like a goat. That being said, the bike is not engineered to ridden the way that i do ride it, i assume it is for more of a laid back XC emphasis. So far to date i have replaced both the seat stay and the chain stay, the chain stay snapping in half. On the lighter side, both Jenson USA and Jamis have been more than accommodating when dealing with warranties, pretty much no questions asked, just send them a picture of what happened, and they'll send you the new part, pretty awesome if you ask me. For this i give the bike 5 chili's simply because it may ride like other bikes on the market, other bike companies IE ironhorse, mongoose, even trek occasionally, will give customers very difficult times when dealing with warranties. So just make you buy this bike new, or at least with a receipt, to get that customer service which is the deal maker.

Iron horse warrior, specialized stumpjumper

[Sep 02, 2008]
Mark B.

Strength:

solid frame, durable, dependable

Swinger-3 shock

After 18 months of hauling my heavy butt around on any/everything (trails, commutes, you name it), this bike is still solid! The X-type BB lasted a little over a year, and the Manitou shock was a POS w/ no vendor support, but the bike feels as good now as the day I threw a leg over it the first time!

2005 XLT 1.0, best bike I've EVER had!!

Weyless SP, generics

[Aug 21, 2008]
white mountain rider

Strength:

perfect geometry, great rear shock, solid!

wheels have a little to much flex. bb bearing needs cleaning and lube on a regular basis(I ride all year long through rain and snow). front shock(fox vanilla r)is slowly wearing out, will need a rebuild this winter.

This bike really does do it all! I can ride xc or drop the seat, change pedals and ride stunts and jumps with my 21 year old son and his buddies.

This is my fourth mtn bike and by far the most fun. I also ride bmx.