Intense 6.6 All Mountain Full Suspension

Intense 6.6 All Mountain Full Suspension

-Construction \ 6061 Aluminum CNC machined by “Intense Cycles” construction, Proprietary Easton Bi Oval tubes designed for Intense Cycles, Custom Monocoque top tube construction.
-Shock \ Fox Shox DHX 5.0 Air
-Recommended fork length \ 145mm to 170mm
-Other \ Custom Max Type sealed bearings, Disc brake only, Replaceable derailleur hanger
-Optional shocks \ TBD
-Weight \ 7.25 to 7.4lbs
-Rider \ This rider wants an “all mountain enduro bike, go anywhere, ride anything machine,” a Freeride bike without the weight penalty. Not a hucker jumper to flat landing bike.

[Oct 25, 2012]
Joseph Renois
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

soaks up the big drops pretty good...swing arm wallows a bit...great beeter bike..

swing arm move side by side a little much

great bike 4 the buck!!

[May 08, 2012]
Tony

Strength:

flys over the bumps

going uphill, to soggy

so this is my first real full suspension bike I've been on a hardtail since around 84 when I got into Mountain biking. Perhaps someone who is new or more used to suspension might be able to climb on one of these but the bobbing while pedaling uphill is just brutal to me. With that said sure was fun ripping down hills on this thing, I might have had more luck sending the shock to PUSH cause I'm a big guy but I'm going with a MACH 429 next. Happy Trails!

[May 23, 2010]
RXV_POOR

Strength:

Climbs well for what it is, descends well, 1.500" head tube, relatively light, big pivots, passing my cross country riders going down the hill, cool factor

Pivot maintenance, can only fit a 2.35" rear tire, having to hear "You really rode that up here?" time after time from cross country riders

First off I'm 42, weigh 222lbs and this is my first year back to MTB riding after a 5 year hiatus after 10 years of riding. I'm not a hammerhead nor am I a hucker but I'm not the last up the hill or the last down it.

I bought the bike because of the value I felt I was getting when I was purchasing it. As it sits (With tool bag, spare tube, levers & patches because that's how I ride it.) it weighs 36.9 lbs.

I've owned linkage bikes and single pivot bikes but the VVP is different. The VVP feels more active under hard braking. It took a little getting used to and shock/fork setup is crucial to get the best out of the bike. Change the fork = change the shock but not the other way around (All the time).

I've not bottomed the rear of the bike after I got the setup close. Compared to my dirt jumping Kona 5.0 it turns like a bus.

I am working on fitting a FOX DHX 5.0 for Downieville/resort trips because I am compelled to F with everything.

I thought the rear end was terrible until I got the shock setup close and checked the pivot torque. That made a huge difference but it is a pain in the @$$ and time consuming.

I'll be honest when I bought the bike I thought I made the wrong purchase. Now 1 year later I'm very happy but this will not be my only bike for years to come. To me this is not a "do everything" bike but it's closer than you would think.

This will be my Downieville/resort bike and I'll be building another for long trips. If want a gravity friendly bike you can get a 6.6 for a decent price and you like to fiddle with things get one or any 6.500" travel VVP bike.

First 5+ inch travel bike I've owned.

[Feb 09, 2010]
Raya7

Strength:

Handles very well in tight none burmed turns and climbs and desends very comfortably when suspension setup air pressures are right and when properly adjusted for your weight and riding style. Very light for a 6.75 inch travel bike.

Severe rear triangle flex! Noticed that the rear brake rotor rubbed slightly when peddling hard on steep up hills, and the rear end frequently feels like your riding on a low tire when pitching different directions. It's really that bad! The flex is readily observable when using lateral hand pressure against the top of the rear wheel. Paint is unbelievably cheap! Cable routing design could have been thought out better, but works fine once you get it figured out. The trick is do not harness the rear shift cable between the frame and triangle, but let it move where it will otherwise the rear derailure will shift every time the rear suspension is compressed. Protect the frame well where the cables rubs.

Overall ride handling is very good and I personally love the geometry! The Fox suspension combination, once properly setup, makes all the difference in the world. This or any other bike, regardless of how well the frame is made, performs incredibly well with the right suspension and when it is carefully dialed in. Do your home work first and understand how the suspension functions, otherwise you'll make the mistake of ignorance and think your sitting on crap! The good ride comes afterwords and it can be very sweet.

The 6.6 handles acceptionally well off large drops and very rough steep down hills and cornering is awesome, owing largely I feel, to the dialed-in suspension combination. If your not the fasted guy down the hill, the problem is not the bike! I've heard several guys complaining about the high center crank position, but think about it, if you have a long travel bike your going to need the clearance to compensate for the travel when the suspension compresses! I have actually found the lack of peddle clearance to be an initial problem that one must simply adjust to when fully compressing both front and back shocks. The amount of suspension travel verses clearance is not a bad trade-off.

The "product weaknesses" I previously outlined are more distracting than they are operational problems, but very surprising coming from Intense. The rear triangle flex is huge! I am running a 9mm through-axcel that did not reduce the problem, at all. However, inspite of the flex the bike still rides really well, which is saying alot coming from an aggressive down hill rider. It's something you simply get used to and doesn't appear to hurt anything other than perhaps premature pivot bearing wear.

The "bottom line" is that the 6.6 is a good, not great frame due largely to the flex and cheap paint, which there is abolutely no good reason for given the high purchase price. I personnally would not pay anywhere near full retail for this frame, as its not worth it! Significantly discounted or slightly used...definately!

It completely amazes me that given Intense' long reputation for extrordinary craftmanship and quality, that they would released this product given the flimsiness of the rear triangle and its cheap paint job! It could have been a perfect frame had these two points been addressed. This is the second Intense I have owned and I, like many others, don't mind spending more for perfection. My first was perfect, albeit a little heavier! If your going to market your product as "made in the USA" as a sales point and charge top dollar for it, then it jolly well better be the best...period, and without ANY stupid design flaws!

Did I say I absolutely love riding this bike?

Intense Uzzi SLX with similar build.

[Jan 10, 2009]
Aszman

Strength:

Fantastic all around ride. Great for all day epic XC rides or the chairlift. For XC it climbs like well with no bob, you can ride this bike all day with little complaint. For chairlift days it will fly down just about any drop, jump, or whatever you can throw at it and wont let you down. Can be built up semi light for an all mountain bike. Mine weighs in at around 33 lbs with my set up, I could probably drop another 3 lbs off if I wanted to. MADE IN THE USA

Flexi rear end, like a low rear tire kind of flexi. On big gaps, jumps etc rear tire will sometimes bottom out onto the frame though it doesn't really affect anything. Cable routing could of been thought out a little more. Expensive.

This bike is hands down the best bike I've ever owned to date. Admitingly I kind of expected a little bit more from it given the cost and from all the reviews I read however I would have a hard time not recommending this bike to anyone. My biggest issue with this bike is the flexi rear end however strangely enough you seem to incorporate that into your riding style. I would probably recommend buying used as to not pay full price.
Bottom line is if your waiting for a deal on this bike and find it, buy it, you wont be disapointed.

Specialized Stumpy, Giant AC1, Giant Glory

[Dec 22, 2008]
raptor666

Strength:

Climbs very well for a 170mm rear travel and it goes down even better. light weight, less than 15kg. great cable routing. VPP system works awsome, i bearly use the propedal on my rear shock.

expensive but worth every penny.

Each and every ride i finish i want to get down of my bike and kiss them. Its an unbeliveble bike, you can do with it anything you want. From steep climbs to adrenaline pumping downhills, anything you wish this bike can do. This is the best "do it all" bike.

Cannondale Prophet, Yeti 5.75

[Dec 18, 2008]
KRob

Strength:

Light, Great climber, bob-free, plush, active suspension on rough downs, takes abuse without complaint.

Rear triangle is a bit flexy, pedal kickback is annoying in granny ring and affects loose, rocky climbs. Customer service was slow in responding to a warranty issue.

This is a great all-around bike. It can be built up light around 30 lbs pretty easily and be a very capable long-legged trail bike or built up burly under 35 lbs and take on some pretty gnarly AM and FR duty. I think the 67.5-68 degree HA is just right for this type of bike. The VPP rear suspension works really well for limiting bob while pedaling yet still feel deep, plush and active on fast rock, choppy downs. It locks out a bit on steep, rocky, steppy tech climbs and works better climbing in middle ring than granny due to the pedal kick back.

The rear end flex is there when you grab the rear wheel and push/pull it side to side, but I rarely ever noticed it while riding. A 10 mm through bolt rear hub helped a solve this.

I highly recommend it.

Turner RFX, Titus El Guapo,Knolly Delirium T

[Sep 23, 2008]
okroeger
Downhiller

Strength:

I love this bike. It climbs well, descends great, looks awesome. It is a jack of all trades master of none. I've taken it on 40 mile epics, and recently put coils on it and boosted 15 ft gaps, 8 foot drops and big hips.

It's flexy. Expensive as hell

awesome do it all bike. Nomad may be stiffer in the rear. would work best in my opinion with a vanilla 36 shortened to 150 or 140 mm.

[Sep 11, 2008]
Marco
Downhiller

Strength:

low bb, handling, suspension performance

tire clearance (with 135mm dropouts), rear end not very stiff, stickers quality is realy poor

Nice bike, this is my one-for-all bike for the trails in the alps where you find beautiful trails and drops but need to pedal uphill! Total weight is ~15kg so not too heavy to climb but definitely strong enough to try every drop you find! Rear end is not very stiff, you feel it twistin a little when riding hard but overall downhill performance is amazing! As the price is not really cheap the quality of the stickers is a crap but this is Intense (btw this is my third Intense, so I love the way their bikes ride). Bottom line: If you search for a heavy duty trail bike the SS is an amazing choice, if you search for a pure slopestyle bike I would go for a bike with a more simple rear end like the Bullit which can be build more lightweight compared to the SS.

Rocky Mountain Switch, Rocky Mountain Slayer SXC, Santa Cruz Nomad, SC Bullit

[Aug 29, 2007]
Andrew
Downhiller

Strength:

nice 1.5 head tube

very poor cable routing options. Short top tube. The bike is not designed for people over 6 feet tall. Even with propedal the VPP sucks out any climbing momentum over uphill bumps.

The frame had a serious problem from the factory. The top shock mount tabs were a millimeter and a half off from each other. This placed the rear of the shock a full centimeter off to one side causing the shock to stick badly and break the seals. I sent it back to Intense and they tweaked the mount tabs on the top tube and sent it back saying it was fine. It wasn't fixed at all and I ended up having to elongate one of the holes to allow the shock to sit centered in the rear mount.
As far as the ride the 6.6 climbs poorly but decends excelently. A big problem is that they do not recomend it for light freeriding duty, drops, jumps, etc.

Orange Patriot 7+ , Ellsworth Moment, KHS hardtail, Santacruz V10