Intense 5.5 FRO All Mountain Full Suspension

• Shock: Fox Shox RP23 Air
  • Fork Length: 100mm to 140mm
  • Travel: 5.5"

slomike   Cross Country Rider [Feb 10, 2010]
Strength:

super light climbs every thing and desends like your a dream .i can ride this bike all day and night and i did last year in tucsons 24 hr race good times

they stop making this bike the year i got one why?

get one ride it love it

Hoopes   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2009]
Strength:

VPP, Fox Suspension, great color, very efficent

Bright red color makes me too careful for scratches when considering my next fall.

I broke my frame on my Gary Fisher Hifi one too many times and found this frame at my LBS. It has been a dream to ride. I love Gary Fisher but I feel like I've moved from a Camry to a nice Lexus.

On my first ride, I kept thinking the rear shock was fully engaged because the ride was so soft and I wanted to ensure efficiency. Well, to my surprise, the shock hardly moved and it was the VPP in action making the ride so smooth. My riding buddies commented that they hadn't seen me ride so well in a long time.

The bike can take drops but still ride very efficiently and comfortably. If you can pay out a little more money for this bike, you'll definitely love it. Don't do it if you are an occassional rider who will only see it as an expensive wall mount. Bottom line, I love it!

Similar Products Used: Specialized Enduro, Gary Fisher Hifi Deluxe, Specialized Stumpjumper
BP   Weekend Warrior [May 19, 2009]
Strength:

Speed, flow, strength, beautiful, rare

Cost ?

Easy transition from many years on a hardtail. After more than a year, still cherry. 26 lbs for 5 + inches of cush speed. May not be "the best" cuz there are lots of amazing rides out there - but it's one of them.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager steel and ti hardtails, Racer X, Blur, Flux
Tim Spencer   Racer [Sep 17, 2007]
Strength:

SUPER lightweight, beautiful paint, welding, finish and decals. This bike climbs and pedals like a dream. PERFECT. Ingtegrated headset is brilliant and makes for an easy install. (It just drops in) VPP makes you feel like you are just in a state of plushness. You have to ride an Intense to know what I'm talking about. Great power transfer to the wheels. You pedal and this things moves.

Nothing wrong with the frame, but the Fox RP23 is a bit annoying. I can never remember which setting is Pro-Pedal and when I move the lever I can't tell any difference. After riding a few months I'm noticing some creaking either from the pivots or cranks which drives me insane.

If you are going to get a bike like this, order the parts kit from Intense. It comes with the Intense saddle, grips and tires and all the dream parts. (XTR wheels are killer!) It is about $5200 to $5500 but you will love the bike and be the envy of all your friends. I'm not just drinking Intense kool-aid, if there were weaknesses, I'd let you know. This bike is close to perfect. A large frame at 26 lbs with pedals and almost 6 inches of travel? Yeah, that's something special.

Who should buy? Anyone with a good job who wants to make their friends jealous and wants a bike capable of racing XC but doesn't want to kill their lower back.

Who should not buy? Anyone who wants to huck. To get the weight savings, no head tube gusseting was used. It's has travel I can't see this bike taking lots of drops. Compare this to the 5.5 EVP and you'll see what I mean. Compare the two at www.intensecycles.com

Similar Products Used: Intense Uzzi-SLX, Intense 5.5 EVP, Rocky Mountain Element
Jacob Yetimann   Downhiller [Aug 29, 2007]
Strength:

VPP, superior welding and alignment, attention to detail. Problems with retracting suspension bolting has been corrected with the use of C-clips. All Intense frames now have integrated headsets which have proven relatively trouble free.

Someday will they anodize these frames instead of the paint and stickers?

Great handling which translates to greater confidence. VPP on this frame climbs the hills like a XC hardtail and adsorbs the abuse on the downside. You should avoid this frame if you are a Clydesdale, afterall, it is a FRO.

Similar Products Used: Intense Spider XVP & Uzzi SL. This my 3rd Intense.