GT Sanction 1.0 All Mountain Full Suspension

It's Enduro. Not Endurance. With the advent of 20 minute-plus downhill racing comes a need for a bike with an optimized blend of downhill-specific and pedal-friendly geometries. With the Sanction, this need is addressed. A lighter, more versatile cousin of the Ruckus, the Sanction is the bike of choice for riders looking for a dominant Super D or Enduro Racer. Its relaxed geometries even make it a decent choice for riders whose line choices are so bad that they'd be better served riding an Enduro bike instead of their lightweight Endurance rig - just ask Tyler, GT's marketing guy.

sirscoobydoodoo   [Oct 26, 2012]
Strength:

tough frame, great choice of components, confident-inspiring descents, easy to service

weight makes it tough on climbs, creaks at dropouts (resolved), original leaky RS Lyrik fork (replaced), takes a while to dial in the shock (DHX Air 4)

I have the 2008 1.0 model. At first I hated this bike - the creaking drove me crazy. I had clicking noise on the dropout where the brake caliper attaches. A little bit of teflon and loctite resolved it. Then the fork started to leak from the Mission Control damper. The fork has been replaced. Next a creak had developed. I serviced the i-drive pivots but the creak was still there. I finally found it was coming from the drive-side dropout so a little more teflon and loctite resolved it. With all these problems, you would think I would knock it down a star or two. After a little bit of servicing, which all mtn bikers do anyways, my bike is noise-free and rides great (it always rode great that's why I didn't give up on it). I did replace my fork with a DT Swiss EXC 150 with 20mm TA. I have mixed feelings about switching to a 32mm stanchion fork - I saved 2 lbs but my ride is not as stiff and lost the adjustable travel from my 2-Step Lyrik. I've managed to reduce my bike to just under 30 lbs with pedals for mostly trail use.

Components: SLX brakes, Saint RD, LX FD, XT cranks, cassette, shifters, and pedals (running 2x9), WTB Laser V Slt, Answer ProTaper carbon OS bars, DT Swiss EXC 150 RTLC, stock wheelset and shock.

Dawid   [Aug 06, 2012]
Strength:

wyglad:) zwinnosc, szybkosc, hamulce, amor przód

.... moze tylny amor, manetki triiggery i cena calosci:)

swietny rower o prawie uniwersalnym charakterze z przewaga to zjazdów, przejechalem na nim kiedys 80 km po asfalcie na strzala i tez dawal rade:)

james williams   [Jun 15, 2012]
Strength:

the best of the best,

ive own so many mtb bikes in my days and i can say this is the best ive owned ,im retired pro downhill racer and this bike just flat out rocks, i ride mine every day and every day it makes me smile ,thanks gt

chrisNZ   Weekend Warrior [Sep 19, 2010]
Strength:

Fantastic look, looks tough as hell. frame feels stiff when cornering but soaks up the hits and is plush as over the ruts and bumps.

a touch heavy when you`re riding long access roads in. how bout Carbon Sanction eh.

This bike inspires you to go faster harder and bigger than , well, bigger than i`m capable of. I have taking some massive stacks on this bike , end-o-ing half way down a hill after over cooking the jump on the crest, i saw stars, Sanc-y just needed the bars straightened. Rides thru rock gardens with ease and climbs pretty well. Virtually no bob with pro-pedal on.

Similar Products Used: ridin-Enduro, specialized. Epipany, ellsworth. Marathon, GT. Zaskar SS, GT.
buckscountymtbr   Cross Country Rider [Aug 11, 2010]
Strength:

Talas 36 Talas RC2 160 mm travel fork takes the hits without problem. DHX Air 5.0 XV rear shock smooths things out nice too. Smooth Hammerschmidt crankset with good ground clearance. FSA Gravity wheels seem indestructible.

A little heavy but expected on what is a pretty rugged rig.
Fork and frame don't seem to fit some roof/trunk racks respectively without adapters. Avid Elixir CR brakes only seem so-so.

I happen to luck into this bike at a Performance Bike store opening in Allentown, PA just as the 2010 clearance started and bought one of the last small-sized black frames remaining in their warehouse inventory. The double discount made me take a chance on the Sanction 1.0. I'm now glad that I did.

Its a beast of a bike visually (four other individuals' exact, coincidental words). Admittedly, the Sanction 1.0 is not for super weight-conscious riders, (especially once gear is added) but boy, oh boy, it can sure take the punishment. I weigh 210 lbs. and took it out for its first spin off 3-foot riverbanks and into a dry urban creekbed in my hometown filled with cinder block and chunks of concrete and the Sanction rolled right over the stuff without problem. Excellent ground clearance of almost a foot due to the internal Hammerschmidt. Nice adjustable suspension both front (I really like the Talas fork) and rear with minimal bob. All in all, decent components came stock. All I needed to add were a cage, and both Forte barends and platforms with a possible Shimano brakes upgrade to follow.

The Sanction 1.0 will definitely give you "bang-for-the-buck" performance if you're looking for a rig that could probably bridge the all mountain - freestyle divide without problem if necessary. At the very least, its an excellent AMB. This was something that I was looking due to the type of rocky, root-filled hilly singletrack I ride here in Pennsylvania.

Similar Products Used: late 1990s Bianchi Peregrine hardtail retro rig (NOT similar)
LLinks   Cross Country Rider [Jul 22, 2010]
Strength:

Price, component spec, looks… all around badassness.

None found as of yet. It may be a couple pounds heavier than some other AM bikes, but I’m pretty sure that’s more of an indication of the type of riding this thing can handle rather than a weakness.

This thing is definitely confidence inspiring. Once seemingly sketchy sections of trails are now no problem. This thing eats up everything! At 250lbs (now you know why I really don’t care about a few extra pounds of bike), I can be pretty hard on bikes… This thing feels like it can take anything I throw at it. Just took it to Snowshoe for some downhill last week and it tore everything apart… including some 3-4+ foot drops. The only concern I had prior to buying this thing was its ability to climb with its geometry and 160mm of travel up front. The thing can climb! This bike is super bad!

Similar Products Used: Entry level Giant, Redline D660 29er
sanction rider 1.0   Downhiller [Jul 20, 2010]
Strength:

Takes all the nasty drops, gaps, berms, jumps, and even the hills! Tough frame and good quality construction. The geometry is great, and the aluminum frame is not too heavy for a all mountain rig. I can ride every nasty rock on any trail and wont get bounced off. Just a smooth plush ride.

It takes some getting used to a slightly heavier bike and not having a third sprocket at the front derailleur. It is a bit of a change in climbing with a decreased head tube angle but you overcome all this relatively quick.

Probably one of the best trail, all mountain/ downhill bikes I have ever had the pleasure to ride. It has never disappointed me. Everyone who sees it appreciates its roots, and what the bike has become. It is a top of the line ride comparable to those of a more expensive breed. I let my friends all ride knowing they cant break it and everyone comments on the way it makes you feel like your floating down the trail.

Similar Products Used: Gt I drive 5 3.0, Specialized stumpjumper, Santa Cruz Nomad, Ironhorse warrior, Gary Fisher I cant remember, Ellsworth epiphany
bikerboy84   Weekend Warrior [Nov 22, 2009]
Strength:

climbing, downhill and everything in between.

all my mates want to ride it

I bought the frame with air shock and changed that after a few ride to coil to try it out and think that it has a better feel in the rough stuff.

Overall it is the best all mountain/freeride setup i have had the pleasure to ride so far.
I've set it up for the downhill but it still rides beautifully uphill.

If you like the rough technical style terrain then this bike will double your confidence while still being a very capable uphill bike
do try it!!!!

Similar Products Used: have owned and ridden lots of bikes; currently have eight in the garage
Brydon   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2009]
Strength:

Cost, 6inch rear travel, nice looking bike, good all rounder.Purchased frame and shock only.

single pivot brake issues, fixed with a floating brake.

Like going down more than up, so set it up with some bigger forks up front, wider rims, two chain rings and bash plate oh yeah just made a nice floating rear brake that changes the way it feels coming into corners fells so smooth in the rear now, perfect set up.

Similar Products Used: Mongoose teocoli.
hitechredneck   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2009]
Strength:

tough, take take a beating, i have a few hard crashes and bail outs and few broken parts but the frame can take a pretty good beating.

leverage ratio with air shock.

I really like this bike. i had been out of biking for a few years and i walked into the local shop and starting looking at bikes. After chatting with the sales fella for a while i endend up on this bike. I like it after a few upgrades to make it a little more solid with maximus freeride bars and 70mm stem, wheels and a dhx 5.0 in the back to adjust ramp up for bottom out. At first i thought i bought to much bike cause i was dieing trying to move this bike around being a 33 lb build. After having the bike whip me back in shape, I was shocked how well it climbed with the idrive and NO pro pedal. then i pointed it down hill and wow what a blast!!! this thing feels at home going down it had more guts then me on the downhill takes everything i can throw at it from trestle bike park, to 15 mile climbs to ladders and skinnys and drops and the local jump/pump track. this bike is a for real do it all bike. I went and demoed the "god" of all mountain bikes the SC Nomad and was shocked that it felt alot like my GT only was twice as much and i had to use a propedal shock to climb it. Glad i demoed and did not fall for the hype, I hear GT had a few bad years and lost its "hype" But i can tell you the sanction does not fall into the bad years category! Get one while you can there not being brought to the US in 2010.