Giant Reign X2 All Mountain Full Suspension

• Cassette: SRAM PG950
  • Chain: Shimano HG-73
  • Rims: WTB Dual Duty FR

rhyko   Weekend Warrior [Dec 27, 2010]
Strength:

Easy bike to ride, nice geometry, low centre of gravity, fairly slcj/relaxed angles.
Cant fault the frame much other than cable routing.
Feels like a bigger travel bike-good sus

Here we go:
QR rear axle-please, needs something beefier
Cable routing
Marzocci forks broke very quickly-fixed under warranty and sold em off
Weight, would love this bike to be lighter.
Brakes -hayes strokers, didnt like em so changed em
Narrow bars-changed em
WTB tyres have weak sidewalla and pinch on gnarly terrain

The frame rocks and as a whole bike its a bargain, although if you are a serious rider you will probably want to swap out a lot of parts, not only by choice but becasue most will die.
I definately do not regret buying this bike, was so much cheaper than a DH rig

Similar Products Used: Trance
Trance X
rileychrishkek06   Downhiller [Apr 27, 2010]
Strength:

Great value for the price,excellent geometry, awesome color for '09 model, bomb-proof and stiff. Pedals great uphill considering the weight and the coil sprung suspension. for the price the suspension setup is great, I only weigh about 120lbs so I don't need any preload in the fork and it feels superb, and dispite being hard to get to the rebound adjust for the rocco it works great. and since theres no air to worry about, once you set it you can forget it. The sram x5 shifters and derailer are suprisingly reliable and easier to shift than any shimano setup i've used before.

a bit heavy, stem and handlebars kind of awkward in a downhill setting, front tire should be more beefy, pedals are junk.

for the price it's probably the most affordable big AM or small FR bikes you can get, with a few swopouts and adjustments it can be just as good as something a thousand dollars more. Two thumbs up.

Similar Products Used: most similar bikes from trek, kona, haro, and other giants.
ammeriebx28   Downhiller [Mar 25, 2010]
Strength:

Durable, great stock parts, looks great.

Weight, a few stock parts I changed right away.

This bike is great for the price. I've had it for a year and it can take a beating. I would recommend changing the tires though, they're really not durable enough and pinch flat often. It comes with some great stock parts too. I put a new fork, bars, and grips on and will be replacing the deraileur, though they are adequate enough. This bike is smooth and fun to ride, I would definatly recommend it.

turnmeon   Weekend Warrior [Mar 12, 2010]
Strength:

Great fit in my body size on M size (i am 85kg and 1,8m tall. Reliable parts. Perfect matching of low cost and performance.

None so far unless the stiff saddle

Very plush feel on the suspension even on downhill tracks.
Marzocchis look very tough till now and able to absorb big hits and drops.
I'd only change the gear shifters if i keep on peddaling...
if i turn to freeriding most i'd remove the front derailer and shifter and throw in a 66 rcv.
Great adaptivity in any trail.
Would not reccomend on cross country riders.
would definetely recc on freeriders and enduro riders.

Similar Products Used: Nothing is similar to this bike
jasons2008   Downhiller [Feb 07, 2010]
Strength:

Travel, SRAM components, bike geometry, maestro suspension, rigidity of bike, cable routing, Marzocchi 55R fork, Marzocchi Rocco R rear coil shock, color, price

Narrow handlebar with minimal rise, Avid Juicy 3 brakes.

I was worried about the weight of the bike, and if I would be able to throw it around or not. Compared to last years model (and previous years), Giant definitely shaved off some weight by reducing unnecessary bars and tubing, but compared to my XC bike, its still heavy. Also, I was worried that climbing was going to be a pain due to the weight. They guys at the bike shop told me it feels heavy in person, but on the trail, I will be mazed at how light it feels. I put it to the test.

I went out to McDowell Regional Park, and South Mountain in Phoenix, AZ, and man, when I got on this thing I was amazed at how fast, nimble, and light it felt. WOW! Climbing was not even hard anymore, thanks to Giant's Maestro suspension. Pedaling was so easy, I was wiping out the competition. No pedal bob at all, even with no lock out feature on the rear shock. Just like all the reviews say, point this bike where you want it, and there it goes!

Suspension was so plush. I was so excited to take jumps because it felt like i was floating on water when I landed. Just in two rides that I have put on this bike, my confidence has gone way up. I think I am going to get myself in trouble with this thing! Love the 6.7 inches of travel in the rear. No problem on jumps and big drops.

I give the Reign X2 5 chilis for the bike, though it has small weaknesses, but nothing to complain about, and give Cactus bikes, in AZ, 5 chilis for their service.

Steve   Weekend Warrior [Nov 18, 2009]
Strength:

Total Value for Money. Great handling, great suspension. Loads of fun to ride!

front end is a bit 'twitchy' when landing drop offs and jumps and the hayes stroker ryde have very little modulation.

awesome bike. I really love riding it - can't wait for next summer - It's gonna be great!

Similar Products Used: -
reignx2   Downhiller [Jul 20, 2009]
Strength:

super good for cornering, jumping, downhilling, and really easy to go fast on DH runs.

needs to come with a better fork. the marzocchi 55r has only 2 adjustments, feels sticky and leaks oil. giant should start putting avid breaks on their bikes.

really good bike for the price and can do everything. youll be able to keep up with you buddies who are on DH bikes.

Similar Products Used: remedy, sx trail
highstandards   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2009]
Strength:

The ride and HANDLING! Just glued in the corners. Pedalling is good but not great. Hides its weight well.
This bike handles FAR better than the SX Trail II or Remedy 8. INTUITIVE and EASY to go fast. Versatility. I can ride with my DH buddies or tackle an 8 hour epic.

Weight. Suspension adjustability..."rebound dampening" on rocco r is virtually non-existant. Fork is not great, just ok. Seatpost clamp never did work right, then broke. Pedals are garbage.

I like it better than The Remedy 8 and SX Trai(2008). Those bikes are significantly more expensive (but lighter).
Neither can equal the inspiring handling of the Reign X.
The best bike if you're on a budget and can only afford one bike.

Similar Products Used: Remedy, SX Trail
NoSkillz#1   Weekend Warrior [Jun 19, 2009]
Strength:

Incredibly nimble for a beefy frame and slacker head angle. Really pedals well for being more on the DH/FR side of the "all mountain" spectrum.

Kind of heavy if your used to XC type bikes, but I don't notice it while I am riding at all.

Great bike, cannot say enough good things about it. Goes uphill pretty well, and bombs downhill. The price is really incredible. I was going to buy a new fork, but after running the 55r for a while, I don't mind it. I will just hammer it until it is dead and then get a new one. I did upgrade the rear shock though, it is way nicer to climb when you can lock up the rear end a little. With that said, the Maestro system is incredibly stable and plush.

Similar Products Used: Haro, Specialized, Fisher, GT, etc., etc..
CoedY   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2009]
Strength:

After riding a lightweight xc bike for years then switching to the Reign X and taking it DH I found myself hitting stuff I never thought I'd be able to. It takes some fair drops and rough terrain easily. The low, laid back centre of gravity definitely helps here. It climbs ok for a heavy bike, though it could benefit on a propedal for this.
Overall it handles well whether going up or down.

A little on the heavy side, but that's what you expect with the bottom of the range X. I rode it only a few days at Whistler Park - I got 2 pinch flats on 2 runs on A-line, so i'd recommend putting different tyres on, as well as locking dh grips, and a seatpost shorter than the 6ft long one it seems to come with :p

Great AM bike, good for a little of everything. Excellent for the money, and looks real sweet.