Giant Reign X0 All Mountain Full Suspension

Bolstered by 6.7 inches of active Maestro Suspension travel and a burly but beautiful ALUXX SL aluminum frameset, you’ll conquer rough allmountain terrain like never before. Stable geometry, a tapered OverDrive headtube and air or oil shock-compatible shock mounts make Reign X the master of all terrain.

• Fox 36 TALAS FIT Float RLC with 20mm thru-axle, 120-160mm travel, tapered steerer tube suspension fork, Fox DHX 5.0 rear shock
  • SRAM X.0/X.9 componentry with Avid Elixir CR disc brakes
  • Giant Contact AM handlebar and stem with Crank Brothers Joplin 4-R seatpost
  • DT Swiss EX1750 Giant LTD edition wheelset
  • Color: Polished/Copper/Anthracite

Noam   All Mountain Rider [Apr 01, 2013]
Strength:

Great geometry that make you feel "at home" the minute you get on it and gives you a lot of confidence
Great suspension, back tire sticks like glue to the ground
Can do EVERY THING you want, from jumping, to climbing and going fast down hill

Bottom cable routing
Chain tensioner is useless

Got my 2011 new at 2013 from dealer leftovers for cheap and upgraded the brakes to Saint, shifters to X0 and rear derail to X9 type 2 and also front fork to Rock Shox Lyric solo air.. WOW, what a bike, I thought my Trek Remedy was owsome... I can climb, jump, corner and all other things we do out there with much more confidence and stability then ever. The bike geometry is great, it gives you the feeling you have ridden this bike for ever... Since it has a long wheel base, I find it much easier to climb technical elements and to jump from medium hights.
If you like aggressive all mountain riding then this is the bike for you.

Similar Products Used: Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro
Tobias   [Jun 08, 2012]
Strength:

- extremly good suspension - Maestro works outstanding. No pedal bob when sitting on the bike. Eats EVERYTHING which crosses its way!
- bearings last very long. I run mine the second season and no replacement is needed
- very light frame (approx. 2900 gr. at size M)
- Geometry is good - long wheelbase, long chainstay, long bike at all - so it want to be smashed!

- on some frames the link of the maestro systems seems to break
- on long, steep climbs (over 15 degree) the fork should be travelled
- ISCG-mounts are twisted so not every chain protection will fit. Mount on BB is for sure possible

I own a 2010er frame which I set up totally custom. Head angle of mine 2010er frame was a bit steep. I installed an angle set and it feels now perfect. Don´t know if they made minor changes in the production for the 2012 but I know a test where they measured a head angle of 65,5 - perfect! The vivid air in High tune is the perfect shock for the bike. Like mentioned the whole bike is long with long chainstays. So it is not a flickable playbike. This bike wants to be punished hard and driven fast. If you are riding slow and technical trails every day, you probably should look for alternatives. And again, go for the Vivid Air with this frame!

SwedishSTile   All Mountain Rider [May 21, 2012]
Strength:

Light, Stiff, Agile, great in the air, great in the rough stuff

Downtube cable routing puts your cables at risk for damage.

This review is for the 2012 X0 frameset. I built mine up with a Fox Talas 180mm FIT RC2 fork. This changes in my mind the intended use of the bike while changing slightly the geometry. My intended use for this build is heavy AM to light FR and DH use and it serves that role admirably.

The bike has fantastic cornering geometry, even with the longer fork. It sticks like glue and transitions extremely well. I think a lot of this is due to how stiff the front of the bike is. The tapered head tube (I am running a tapered steerer as well) adds noticeable stiffness and front end tracking over my previous 2008 Reign X.

The bike climbs extremely well and descends even better making it a very capable AM sledgehammer. I ride everything on this bike that I previously tackled on my Santa Cruz VP-Free and I almost never miss the extra 1.5 inches of rear travel.

My only gripe about this bike is that it does not have the same pop off of jumps that my old reign did. I am not sure exactly why this is, but for whatever reason I do not seem to get the same spring from the rear of the bike when hucking it.

If you have never ridden a parallel link suspension design I highly recommend you find one and try it. I have ridden everything from virtual pivot to FSR to single pivot and in my experience the parallel link designs are just better. They maintain pedaling ability without as much sacrifice to downhill performance as the VP and FSR designs and are nearly as good as a well designed single pivot on the downhill with much better uphill ability. Maestro and DW link bikes are excellent choices but so are independents like Canfield Brothers.

Overall the Reign X is an extremely competent bike. It is a one bike quiver. I have an 08 glory DH and a VP-free and I have not ridden either since building up this bike. It really is that good. I turn down the talas and flip the pro pedal for climbing and cross country rides, and open everything up for bombing the steeps and hucking jumps. On very fast downhill the bike could use another 3/4 inch between the axles, but overall performs amazing considering its intended use

Similar Products Used: Ibis Mojo HD, 2008 Reign X1, Giant Glory DH, SC VP-Free, Canfield Brothers The One, Giant Faith
cascademtnbiker   All Mountain Rider [Feb 10, 2012]
Strength:

This review is for the 2011 Giant Reign X0 frameset only since no components are oem.
The frame is light, strong, easy to climb; pedal platform is awesome when in the 36T chainring, more bob when on the 22T. This bike rails corners and feels great in the air. Frame is light for such a capable bike weighing in at 6.3lbs (without shock for the large). Complete bike weighs around 32lbs with the Fox DHX air, and 34.5lbs with CCDB.

Bottom out bottom out bottom out. I weigh 180-190lbs. I send it all the time, but max drops are less than 4 ft to flat, and I bottom out every time. I used the original Fox DHX air and ran it at max bottom out resistance with 200psi, 280psi in main chamber. Then I switched to the Double Barrel w 650# spring running low and high compression maxed out I still bottom out. There's something with the suspension geometry that doesn't like me. The pedal platform is sweet but it seems the leverage ratio must be increasing throughout the travel stroke. The good thing (or bad) is that the upper shock mount bolt bends to relieve some of the stresses when maxing out the travel. Just bunny hopping on the pavement I use nearly all the travel.

Other than bottom out there's no weakness that I've experienced.

I like this bike for aggressive trail riding but doing moderate to big jumps/drops not so cool. When I switch to this ride my speeds increased noticeably and guys I ride with can't keep up. I'd give 5 chilis if the bottom out issue could be solved. I'm surprised there's not more people complaining about this issue. I haven't broken the lower links, yet!

Similar Products Used: '02-04 Specialized Enduro, others not worthy enough to mention.
jj nicholas   Racer [Jun 02, 2011]
Strength:

With a 7inch travel fork it can handle pretty much anything like the very capable faith, but the reign x can climb when it is needed

Not the best climber, but I also have it set up for very and I mean VERY aggressive riding.

The rims are solid but the rear hub is weak sinse it is an XC racing hub

The best aggressive AM bike on the market, it tackles the hits and drops with ease, at the end of the day you can pedal it anywhere. light, agile and the miestro suspension is very smooth and ramps up well

Similar Products Used: Gt sanction, kona stinky
M1   Cross Country Rider [Jun 02, 2010]
Strength:

Value. Factory spec. Weight. Performance. Geometry. Climbs great and decends even better.

While I love the geometry, the low bottom bracket takes some getting used to. Pivot bearings only lasted about 1 year. Stock tires. Not much to complain about considering all the positives.

Fantastic bike at a great price. When I initially purchased it, I was primarily riding and racing cross country, but this bike has elevated my interests to include primarily much more agressive trails now. It has been able to handle eveything I've been able to throw at it including downhill bike park runs. I haven't riden every brand out there, but do find it interesting that a reviewer would claim this frame doesn't compare to the "higher quality frames out there" and then list a bunch of frames made by Giant for other companies as a point of reference.

Similar Products Used: 2005 Giant Reign, Trek Remedy, Specialized Enduro, Raleigh 2500XT and many older designs that aren't even really comparable.
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Apr 29, 2009]
Strength:

Top notch componentry, slack geometry, low center of gravity. Avid Elixirs are superb brakes with amazing modulation.

Chain guide a bit noisy, but easy to get used to.

At first I thought I was buying too much bike for my style of riding, but I am so happy with this ride! It is a solid climber, wicked descender, suspension is easy to tune to your preferred riding style, and it looks darn good! I am far more confident on the steep stuff now and not afraid to hit the jumps. This bike loves to fly and is forgiving of less than perfect landings. The low center of gravity feels great and the bike handles like a charm. The 67 degree head angle has impressed me completely. I'm looking forward to getting it onto some long epics.

Similar Products Used: My only other decent bike was a Specialized Enduro, a completely different bike.
dannymac   Weekend Warrior [Apr 05, 2009]
Strength:

great all mountain bike. handles declines awesome. easy climbing. jumps great. fox suspension great.

original suspension set for 150 lb rider. had to get new springs for heavier person.`

AWESOME BIKE

sofarider1   Downhiller [Feb 08, 2009]
Strength:

lightweight. corners with precision.climbs like a goat. very good all mountain/light freeride set up. hauls up and hauls down. beautiful lines. love the top tube seat stay lines.this bike is truly the best all around performing bike i have owned.

low bottom bracket takes time to get used to.smashing pedals. not really a weakness because the low bottom bracket makes this thing rail corners and way stable.
getting to shock for bottom out resistance is tough. once you set it though your good.

of all the bikes i have owned this bike is the best all around performer. i feel i have finally got my true all mountain/light freeride set up. slam the fork and raise the saddle and this thing climbs like a goat. raise the fork slam the seat and it mobs. the best cornering ability of all my bikes. this thing is truly a trail eater.

Similar Products Used: bikes i have owned/still own.... santa cruz chameleon, jamis dakar, craftworks frm 125, ellsworth joker, kona stinky deluxe, heckler, transition bottle rocket, turner highline.
James   [Jun 01, 2008]
Strength:

Light for what it is. Excellent value for money. Versatile Easy to manual. Pedals very efficently. Build kit is excellent (Float36rc2, X0, Raceface etc).

Flexy. Mid stroke wallow. Not enough brake for intended purpose - needs bigger rotors. Stock Kenda tyres are pathetic. Anodising is cheap and easy to scratch.

I purchaed this bike for use as a heavy duty trail/light DH bike. I already had a Heckler which I use for more general trail duties, but I still needed a bike which could climb to reach some of the more remote jungle and alpine trails around here. Sadly, the ReignX didn't live up to expectations. It climbed fire roads pretty well, was well balanced in the air and on buffed single track it decends competently, but on technical terrain it was disapointing. There is significant flex in the rear end, and the DHX air wallows around in the mid stroke more than on some other designs. Its a poor technical climber, and pretty average for low speed highly technical descents. There were chainline issues as well. At speed it's stable and corners OK, but to be honest the lighter duty Heckler is better, and so was my old Bullit. Compared to the Bottlerocket which replaced it the Reign was markedly inferior - the BR totally outclasses the Reign on high speed descents, jumps and technical terrain, although it is a little less efficent on the climbs.

You could partially fix the shorcomings of the Reign by fitting a smaller air can to the DHX and using a bolt thru rear axle, but I didn't consider it worth the effort. I sold the ReignX0 frame and kept the (excellent) build kit.

I think the ReignX0 is fantastic value, and would make a great fun bike for people who are just getting into freeriding or heavy duty trail riding, but for those that have been riding for a few years and are used to higher quality frames the shortcomings are a little too obvious.
I guess you get what you pay for.

Similar Products Used: Heckler, Bullit, Bottlerocket, Norco Six, Orange 222 and I've ridden plenty of other nice bikes over the years.