Giant Reign 2 All Mountain Full Suspension

Giant Reign 2 All Mountain Full Suspension

Six inches of aggressive Maestro Suspension offer maximum control when it’s needed most. With a balanced ALUXX SL aluminum frame, including a super-stiff OverDrive front end and 15QR thru-axle fork for maximum control, you’ll master technical climbs and flow down rough descents on the all-new Reign.

• Fox 32 Float RL with 15QR thru-axle, 150mm travel, tapered steerer tube suspension fork, Fox RP2 Boostvalve with XV sleeve, rear shock
  • SRAM/Shimano component mix with Shimano M445 hydraulic disc brakes
  • Giant Connect alloy handlebar, stem and seatpost
  • DT Swiss 465D rim, Giant Tracker (F, 15mm)/Shimano M475 (R) hubs, stainless spoke wheelset
  • Color: White/Red

[Feb 27, 2015]
Aaron Benjaminsen
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great descending bike and climbs well as long as front fork is upgraded to something that at least drops the front end down to 130mm.

Rp2 needs to be upgraded the shock has a substandard mid stroke and bottoms out easy even with fresh seals and sag set around 20%. The Chain stay length is quite long making it not amazingly playful and quite hard to manual.

All in all this bike gets the job done at a great price point. Upgrading is encouraged mine has a lyric rc2dh which has helped a lot on big hits. Coming from riding a sx trail i find it climbs quite well but lacks a bit of playfulness as a sacrifice.

[Aug 21, 2013]
Oceandive

Strength:

Climbs well, no bobbing. Descends like it should, very well. Plush suspension, there when needed.

Seat post doesn't seem to come up all the way unless I lower completely then let it try and snap up. Brakes a little weak and would probably be first upgrade. Front is light in the climbs, but very manageable.

After reading many reviews of reign vs I final decided to take the plunge like most of the reviews said. Bang for buck this is a very nice ride. Most everything else with these components and parts put the bike closer to $3000 and out of my range. While a lot of things opened up at $3000, this bike is great at $2200.

Coming from a hardtail 29, this is definitely a different animal. Doesn't climb or roll as well, which is to be expected, but it climbs great none the less. It descends a hell of a lot better and makes you more confident. Breaking is very nice, just needs more power. On steep climbs never lost traction or slipped the rear. You won't beat your xc friends up, but you will stay with them and enjoy the ride down more.

Bottom line, if you're on the fence then you should lean towards the purchase side. I did and have 0 regrets of not jumping to the $3000 category. It's a great bike.

[Jul 25, 2013]
jj vance

Strength:

This bike pedals fantastic for an All Mountain Machine. I think the value of this bike is incredible when you look at the specs and match against other All Mountain machines. Plush 6" of travel that can handle about anything you need.

None so far .... Color?

I live in Bend Oregon and am blessed with a fantastic network of trails. I was being pushed to a 29'er but rented the Reign a couple of times at Hutches Bikes (great staff). Bombing down some of our jump trails I found the bike responsive, playful, and very stable in all conditions. It blew me away on the how well it pedals up hill (been riding a 2005 Kona Primo Dawg). I swear this bike makes me a better rider. Bought on clearance and could not be happier with the bike. I weight 165 but if you weigh more than 200, you might want a beefier rear shock spec. Bike is easy to set-up and dial in to your preferences. Glad I pulled the trigger and bought this bike ... could not be happier.

[Jun 06, 2013]
lee

Strength:

very strong frame, I have hammered my reign 1 for a long time and its never failed... 15ft drop offs and downhills that killed a kona stinky!! my spec is not standard. the original brakes are weak so put some hope mono 4 pots and 203/185 discs on, I have marzocchi 888's, fox rp23 maxed out by tf tuned (suspension wizards) and hope pro2 evo's with halo sas wheels. go for a 2x10 set upfor great all mountain fun.

look after the bearings regularly. grit does get behind the dust caps and swap out the standard headset. fsa pig is good as replacement with no fuss. standard wheels are good for novices but cant handle heavier stuff.

a great all round bike for the price although you will need to upgrade parts as you progress. 6" travel is good and handles pretty much most unless you are a maniac. put on a coil rear shock or get your air tuned for big hits (tf tuned). the rock shox fork is mediocre and not infalable... swap it out asap for better or triple clamps if you want to go bigger. the brakes are not sintered and wear fast... I swapped out for hope 4 pots with floating rotors and I stop on a dime!! ive owned one better bike for similar duties and it cost more so this is a bargain if you can put up with slightly disappointing equipment.

[Feb 09, 2013]
adamuchan
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Great frame, great wheels

Rock Shox forks(Creeking at steerer & crown), monarch rear shock(Blown twice),, Avid elixir brakes (3 months use and are to the steel, crap feedback when get hot), sram crankset teeth are week and are already wearing

In NZ I have a 2013 reign 2 and so far after owning for 3 months, The rear shock has blown twice the front for forks have separated from the steerer tube and are now creaking, the head bearings make this loud crackling sound when you turn the handlebars. Im not a fan of the componentry on this bike it really bums me out.
I have a 2010 Specialized pitch which has avid elxirs 3's on it and the pads have gone 2 years after replacement.
It appears that the pads in the factory models arent sintered and die real quick.
The main moan about this bike is the amount of time its been in the shop with shock and fork issues. I was told to buy this and not the reign 1 as the bike mechanic reckoned that they have more more forks coming back than rock shox and when rockshox moved their operations over to China their quality control went right up.
Bollocks!!! My mate has the same reign, has the same issues, bike shop manager has the same reign and when I went in this morning her bike is sitting on the bench in bits as her shock had just blown also.
gutted... My advice.... buy the Reign 1

Specialized Pitch Pro

[Sep 15, 2012]
Largextracheese

Strength:

Light but strong, fantastic climber, stiff frame, very good braking, great geometry.

Fox rp23 is lackluster, cablerouting is not ideal, needs a straight seatube.

This is the best all around (2011 reign 2) bike I've owned. Nothing on mine is stock other than the rp23. I finally found a bike that is an adept climber yet can clobber the same trails that I ride my DH bike down. I've got a fox 180 float on the front and the bike just makes me super confident on the steeps. I was really surprised at how light this frame was when I got it. I have rode nasty northwest steeps for months and have yet to find a weakness other than the fox rp23. You can feel the shock holding the bike back from it's potential. A coil is in my future. Awesome bike!

[Jun 10, 2012]
runningchicken

Strength:

Very solid bike at a great price! I have had the bike for 2 weeks and have ridden everyday since the purchase. This bike rides like butter in all conditions and so far handles extremely well. The geometry and sizing of the bike feels great for my size (5'11" 170lbs/size large).

-The Elixir 1's are garbage
-The X5 shifters are not bad, but not good.

Great bike and would recommend to all riders.

[May 19, 2012]
jmm337

Strength:

Awesome geometry, suspension and handling. So epic on down hills

Press fit bb does not allow for a chain guide. Cable routing tens to rub on mistro link. Steerer tube size means you need to buy giant stem.

Buy it. This is hands down the most fun bike to ride. I race DH so tend to ride it as if it was my dh bike, and it handles it surprisingly well. I'v done xc races on it, not ideal, but quite fun when you leave the carbon 29ers behind.

[May 11, 2012]
hooverGiant
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Overall this bike is pretty strong! Not too heavy, great company, for the money good components! A good bike out of the box, could be an awesome bike with some upgrades!

Rear shock "pro-pedal" is crap! I don't buy it and don't like it! I would rather have a lockout than pro-pedal... Basically all the pro-pedal does is slow the rebound alittle! I have adjusted pressure several times and some, and after talking to others on the trails having the same issue I came to the conclusion it doesn't work! My next upgrade is a rear shock!
Also Giant could of put a little better fork on the bike, but I really can't complain about it.

This review is for the 2012 Reign 2.. Overall I love this bike! Other than not having lockout for them uphill XC/AM trails, this bike rips! It flows good, easy to handle and looks good..

Giant Rincon.
Rocky Mountain.
Trek.
KHS.
Santa Cruz.

[Apr 01, 2012]
-sly-
Downhiller

Strength:

First of all I am glad with its weight my stock bike(L-size frame) has only 13.7 with BMX Utmost pedals. Also it looks pretty good, and I have a stomach feeling that it would be good in real trails.

1. Rear QR hub it is not good for this bike, I have to change it to a new hub 135x10mm.
2. Brake and shifter hoses are runs to close to the rear shock stock and can rub it.
3. And totally make me mad the new BB71 and no way for chain guide mount, Giant engineers are idiots with this solution! it is epic fail for such good bike!

Very good bike with some stupid things in design.

I have only one full suspension bike before it is Norco shore 2006, and it is very good bike if weight not take to consider :)