Giant Reign 1 All Mountain Full Suspension

Giant Reign 1 All Mountain Full Suspension

Six inches of aggressive Maestro Suspension offer maximum control when it’s needed most. With a balanced ALUXX SL aluminum frame, including a super-stiff OverDrive front end and 15QR thru-axle fork for maximum control, you’ll master technical climbs and flow down rough descents on the all-new Reign.

• Fox 32 Float RL with 15QR thru-axle, 150mm travel, tapered steerer tube suspension fork, Fox RP2 Boostvalve with XV sleeve, rear shock
  • Shimano SLX componentry with Avid Elixir 5 disc brakes
  • Giant Connect SL alloy handlebar, stem and seatpost
  • DT Swiss E540 rim, Giant Tracker (F, 15mm)/Shimano Deore (R) hubs, stainless spoke wheelset
  • Color: Silver/Cyan

[Aug 15, 2013]
psfracer

Strength:

A true "do it all" bike. I used to have a Trance X3 and I swear I can climb just as well with this Reign 1. I weighed the bike and it was only 1 lb heavier then the Trance X3 that I had, came in right at 29lbs. Easy to use CTD (climb, trial, descend) settings on shock and front fork, makes a difference while climbing for sure. Shimano SLX drivetrain shifts well, really like the clutch rear derailer and MRP chain guide. The 6 inch travel is very plush once the shock/fork is adjusted correctly for you weight--easy to do as all you need for that is a shock pump and to measure the sag. An absolute joy to ride. No problems at all thus far.

Replaced the 2.25 Schwalbe Nobby Nic with some 2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf tires, for more aggressive riding. I found the 2.25 Nobby Nic tires that came with the bike a little bit on the small side for AM stuff.

The cable for the seat post is really long, I need to trim the length on that.

In the past I have owned a couple Kona Stinky's, a Santa Cruz Heckler, a Giant Trance X3, and now this Giant Reign 1. This is by far my favorite out of the group.

If you are like me and can only afford one bike, this is the one. If you want a bike that can truly handle some AM stuff yet still climb pretty damn good, this is the bike for you.

[Jul 30, 2012]
citogaston

Strength:

Pedals well and climbs good for a 6" travel bike. Fast, light, and fun on moderate stuff. Can handle the technical stuff pretty well.

For the price, not really any. I got wider handlebars, a bash guard, and chain guide. I recommend all three.

If you want to pedal and climb a lot, you should get something lighter with less travel. If you mainly descend on steep, technical stuff, obviously go bigger. If you want something to pedal up and ride down, and can handle pretty much anything you throw at it, I don't know if you can do any better in this price range. It seriously is an AWESOME bike. Easy to pedal geometry, and enough travel and balls to handle most steep, technical stuff. I ride in Squamish & North Shore, and this can do everything I want it to and more. I'm not out hitting 20ft gaps, but I ride pretty hard, and it's been seriously awesome. Highly recommended to any intermediate or above rider who fits this profile.

[Aug 01, 2011]
boonecounty

Strength:

Great travel really rails the downhills but still can climb decent.

Climbing

This bike rocks. I was in Basalt Bike and Ski when the owner Joel came up and talked to me about this bike. I have a 2009 specialized stumpjumper pro 29er. I ride and race a little cat 2. I wanted a bigger travel bike for riding at the ski resorts and shuttle rides, but I also wanted a bike that I could ride on a 30 mile ride. This bike does it all. A little piggish on the climbs, but when it goes down hill it rages. In the first 6 days I have ridden over 100 miles of singletrack on some of the best trails colorado has to offer. No weaknesses seen yet and with 6" of travel I can open it up on the downhills without worrying.

specialized enduro, specialized stumpjumper

[Jun 06, 2011]
Reno/Tahoe Rider
Downhiller

Strength:

Nice looking bike, the Maestro suspension is real plush, light frame.

I just switched from a Specialized XC, and it is much harder to pedal this bad boy uphill.

Eats up anything I can throw at it, have taken it off some 4-5 foot drops, and the Reign ate it up. Corners well, feels good, great bike!

Specialized XC

[Apr 12, 2011]
Cheese Wheelie

Strength:

Excellent suspension, reasonable weight, decent components, good geometry for aggressive riders, good all around performer. Through-axle front wheel, fork lock-out, and 10-speed rear. Giant known for solid waranty support.

Limited seat adjustment due to interupted tube. Dropper seat post is a must. Kenda Nevegal tires corner well, but have extremely high rolling resistance. Stock handlebars make riding position a bit awkward.

My 2011 Reign 1 pedals and climbs equally as well as my 5" Jamis, but it inspires more confidence in the rough. That extra inch of suspension was a noticable improvement right out of the gate.

The Maestro rear end is very supple and efficient, making the bike extremely fast on descents. It likes to be run soft, and it can be difficult to find the ideal setting as it seems to run through its travel very quickly.

The slack head angle is very noticable, making the bike very stable at speed. It still turns extremely well in flowing single-track, and the bike's overall geometry and handling is excellent.

The stock set-up with sweeping, low-rise bars made the steering a bit vague. It appears that Giant has this bike set up with the weight bias toward the rear to showcase the Maestro rear end. Replacing the bars with a higher rise and less sweep gives the bike better overall balance. Nevegal tires are very slow rolling and give the bike a cumbersome feel.

The bike's major weakness is the interupted seat tube, which gives you a very narrow range of adjustment options. The seatpost won't go low enough for aggressive terrain in its stock form, and cutting it limits your ability to raise it high enough for climbine. This bike screams for a dropper post with remote adjustment.

AMP FS, 2004 Jamis Dakar XLT 2.0, Giant Trance

[Feb 10, 2011]
justinscheer

Strength:

2010 reign one.... very plush suspension,fox dhx 4.0, fox forks, mine came with mavic 321's and kenda nevegals very good build kit for the money, sram x9 , elixer brakes are excellent!

not crazy about raceface cranks, or fizik seat. handlebars a little low, paint chips easy!!! use lots o hockey tape!

Bang for the buck, very hard to beat, its a heavy duty trail bike, eats rocks roots and small logs for breakfast, and is light enough for daily commute!!! also climbs like goat....if your looking for one bike for smooth trails to lite enduro this it! very happy with purchase, take one for a test boot, after two test drives I bought one!

2008 sette ace 4" travel(very different)

[Nov 14, 2010]
bisdak

Strength:

lightweight, very smooth ride

a bit tricky on putting the front derailleur but once set no problem

Impressive and the best bike i ever had , very light under 30 lbs, handle corners and switchback very well, great downhill performance, climbs like a goat, eats up all the small bumps superbly without compromising your pedalling, very stable and you can feel that the tires always sticks to the ground.

To those who are still uncertain if you want this bike or not, now is the time to make the decision, go for it... blame me if you dont like it...

GT Force

[Aug 19, 2010]
Canuckistani

Strength:

This bike is the best in the light all-mountain class. It is a 6" XC bike that handles everything but the steepest trails. There is nothing better in a 6" bike. It has the best suspension, good components, light weight. I use it on XC trails on British Columbia Super D runs (which means up and down a large mountain), and in several endurace races. Took it to Sedona, AZ last winter and it handled the terrain there better than the DH bikes locals were riding that had an extra 7 lbs on the reign.

The '08 model (copper colour) that I had came with narrow bars. I think Giant changed that on newer models. The original wheelset was lackluster.

Been using this bike daily during riding season since Sept. '08. Best bike I've ever owned. It is a fun bike that lets you carve the descents and climb any hill. Jumps well too. This bike is the bomb and if you're thinking Reign or Reign X you should probably get the Reign -- unless you plan to visit bike parks with your bike. Then again my buddy has the same bike (his is the '08 Reign 0) he put a TALAS 36 on it and now that bike rips like a DH bike. Mine has stock suspension and I can rip it anywhere except the steepest chutes. Buy this bike. I ride it all the time and am one of the fastest guys in group rides with guys on Ibis. Those aren't bad bikes either, they're just not as good as the Reign. Reign = light weigh, best performing suspension, best value on the market. I have improved as a rider on this bike. It shines in every area except the steepest B.C. chutes.

Ibis, Specialized, Rocky Mountain, Norco, Kona. . .none are as good.

[Jul 07, 2010]
scottynot1

Strength:

bomber 66, sram x9, mavic crossmax

hayes rear gets mushy,bleed many times

Could not pass up the deal,I ride everyday 30 miles, road and trails, bike will do anything I want it to so far.I've had GT full suspension before but it did not ride like the reign 1, just getting into the sport again former motocrosser,and old 40ish and it still hurts when ya BAIL.Overall love the bike, all ready looking to buy something new but will not get rid of this one.

[Jun 06, 2010]
stultorum

Strength:

6" of travel, under 30Lbs, low stand over, amazing hyrdroformed, very reasonable pricing

Still looking... nope.. can't find any

I've put a couple hundred extremely wet, muddy miles on this bike (it's been a brutal Oregon Spring this year) and it's done nothing but satisfying.

It is hands down, unequivocably the best bike I have ever had the pleasure of charging on.

My goal was a 5"-6" travel all mountain ride that would come in under 30Lbs. I had my heart and checkbook set on an SC Nomad. Right before I pulled the triger I tried a Giant Trance and was blown away. I wanted something a little more agressive and that's when I turned my sights to the Reign. It took a lot of time and patience to find a 2nd revision frame (08 and later I think) in size L.

One of the tricky parts of my build is I went with a 5" travel fork, 32mm stanchions, QR15. I was planning on getting a 6" travel fork, 36mm stanchions, but convinced myself that I do a lot more XC than FR and the less travel/rake/weight would be appreciated more often. I don't know. If I hit the ski resorts more this summer maybe I'll feel differently. So far I'm loving the decision, but it's been all fire roads and fire lanes in Forest Park and Powell Butte twice. No FR at all.

Anyway, the Reign 1 is responsive, not twitchy, at both speed in the switchies and off cambered corners, as well as granny gear tech work (haven't had much of it that yet though). The suspension is fantastic. I switch both the F32RL and RP2 to lockout and climb. Get to the top, reach down and flip some levers, and let the 5-6 travel do it's thing. I can't say enough good things about it. The bike is glued to the trail on the smallest bumps and hits, and then feels bottomless on a drop. However, you don't want to get out of the saddle and attack on this thing when you have the valves open. I've ridden worse, but all the same it's definitely an all mountain bike, right?

As for things I would change, well, the Azonic B52 bar, Hellbent stem, WTB grips, SRAM SX5 shifters, and Avid Juicy 7's (once again... mechanical). The biggest improvement will be going with some hydraulic Avid's, and some X9 shifters, so I can mount them with match makers. But that's how it goes when half your bike came from a bike you canabalized :)

If anybody has suggestions for me on tires/bar/stem/grips... please send me a PM. I haven't been able to find something to fall in love with yet.

Santa Cruz Nomad (very similar)... other bikes that are not nearly as similar so I won't waste your time listing