Gary Fisher Hifi All Mountain Full Suspension

Gary Fisher Hifi All Mountain Full Suspension

Frame HiFi Platinum Series 6061 T6 buttet and formed aluminum. Disc specific. G2 Grometry. Asymmetic swingarm with FourBarrel dropout pivots Wheels Bontrager Race Lite Disc. Bontrager Jones XR 26x2.25/2.2 tires Suspension Manitou Minute Super Air w/lockout, 120mm travel. Fox RP23 Camponentry Shimano XTR rear derailleur + LX shofter & front derailleur.

[Jun 07, 2014]
Mitch

Strength:

Climbs well. Tires work great with the right pressure in them. (50psi for knarly stuff, 65psi for the road and clean trails) No problems in 5 years of riding. Minimal maintenance. Love the full xt set! No shift problems.

I bought it a little small. (17.5inch for my 5'9" frame) I have a long torso and shorter legs so I am. Tough fit. I fixed it with a high rise bar (8bit joystick) and moved the seat back as far as it would go. I will say the paint seems to chip pretty easily.

Overall a good do-it-all 29er! That rear carbon fiber works wonders and the geometry climbs well and wants to go faster. I bought it new for over $3G and it was worth it IMHO.

[Sep 24, 2010]
DVW

Strength:

Well matched component set, good suspension, big beefy front tire keeps on rolling over the roots and rocks.

The dang grips... they stink. Do yourself a favor and pick out a good set when you buy the bike, otherwise your palms are gonna hurt if the trail is even mildly technical.

Very nice bike for the average, to medium aggressive trail rider. Would be even better if you could find one on sale.

'96 Old School Trek carbon Y Bike. '86 Hard tail Gary Fisher Dinosaur.

[Aug 13, 2010]
FisherCaliber

Strength:

This review is of the 2009 base model Hi Fi.
G2 Geometry! As with my 2007 Caliber, Gary & Keith outdid themselves by refining an already good thing. The handling qualities of this bike are superb! It makes you a better rider. Going from the 80mm travel of the Caliber to the 120mm of the Hi Fi has been a revelation.

The stock Bontrager grips suck. Much too thin and hard. I replaced them with Serfas gel grips and my hands are happy.

I can see upgrading the rear derailleur eventually. The Deore works well, but is nowhere near the smoothness of the SLX or XT model.

There were some frame breakage issues with earlier model Hi Fi's. I'll find out if the completely redesigned 09 frame takes care of that "problem".

I think that I got a really good deal finding this bike on sale for a grand. If you want a bike that can carve the singletrack, climb decently and then roar downhill in complete control, buy this one.

2007 Caliber
1990 Hoo Koo e Koo
1988 Ross Mt. Hood

[Jul 19, 2010]
Holdin27

Strength:

I love the G2 Geometry and I got the Pro package so the components were nice. The trails have been beat up so far this year so I've been climbing with the shocks wide open and rarely feel like I'm losing too much with the RP 23. This bike has been tight the whole time I've had it, never has been in the shop after 2 years and have never had any issues despite some tough rides. I've ridden through water, mud and have thrown it down some rocky, tough trails. This bike make me a better, more confident rider and the full suspension eats up anything I through at it. I've gone from picking the smoothest lines on downhill rock patches to just staying loose and letting the bike impress me on the nastiest stuff.

I've been pretty happy with this bike, but did replace the factory BR tires which just seemed a little too slippy for me.

Loved this bike, makes me happy I sought it out.

[May 02, 2010]
Hughjack20

Strength:

Nice handling, good climbing for a full suspension. Steering is very good. BR Jones tires are excellent and stick well on roots. Weight is reasonable for Al frame - if weight is important go with the carbon fiber version or get a hardtail.

The Avid BB5s are horrible. A must replace. Swingarm broke behind the back weld after 2 years of normal MTB riding. When broke the aluminum showed granularization indicating that the metal was probably not properly heat treated to begin with. The wheel mounts on the fork are aluminum, and after the skewer is removed to take off the wheel after about a year the metal appears to wear, making it hard to true the disk brake. Very frustrating. Someone needs to put a hardened metal mount on the forks to provide a stable seat for the skewer. I have had the same problem with all forks so don't blame this on Gary Fisher.

This has been a fun bike. However, after the swingarm break I am a bit concerned about the integrity of the frame. The BB-5s were a big disappointment, as the 2007 Avids had been pretty good.

Previously owned a Cannondale V-400 FS.

[Aug 20, 2009]
Train
Downhiller

Strength:

Great at low speed maneuverability,climbs good for full suspension

chain slaps against rear derailleur making it a noisy ride. also will be upgrading from the avid bb5 & fb5 to the juicy 3 for sure.

Great bike for the money, provides for a fun and wild riding experience

Specialized Stumpjumper

[Aug 11, 2009]
Daviswebb

Strength:

Suspension, handling, speed, comfort, looks, tires

None given the price bracket. Could be lighter with twinking.

Amazing amazing bike. I took it out yesterday on the Don River trail system, some tight wet single track with hidden steeps in thick foliage. Also some sand, and dry rutted single track.

This bike blew me away. First, the handling for tight blind corners with mixed gravel, mud and slick was nothing for this bike. Second, the downhill handling is stunning, it just goes where you point it. Third, the lockout on the front and rear works great for climbing or street. Fourth, the brakes are dependable, no matter how steep the slope.

I opened it up on the fire road and hit some nasty 2 foot rutts, it danced through them like butter. Then i ascended some very tight wet mixed roots and rock and it climbed effortlessly.

This is my first duel suspension bike. So I realize that my reactions are partly to the technology. But I test road alot of other duellies in this category and this one had the best fit, components and handling in the category. The G2 system rocks! I couldnt be happier. I am serious, I almost had a mystical experience on this bike!

Rocky Mountain Trailhead 2008, Haro Escape

[May 16, 2009]
Eagleboy

Strength:

Climbs great, descends great, looks great, pedals nicely. Seems tough enough although I've only been riding it for about a month.

It is somewhat heavy, but that is to be expected since it is the cheapest hifi model.

I absolutely love this bike. The suspension lets you ride longer without breaking your back. My HiFi climbs better than my lighter hardtail bike because you can sit and lay the power down without taking a beating from every bump and rock in the trail. With the propedal on she accelerates like a hardtail and with the propedal off she gobbles up bumps with no pedal-bob. Descending is super fun because the smooth front and rear suspension doesn't buck you around and you can pick up speed really quickly.

Many people have ragged on the stock tires, but I personally have not had any trouble with them climbing or descending, even through water and mud.

My only qualm with this ride (and perhaps this is unavoidable) is that the chain skips when the cranks get wet or muddy. After a few rotations this problem goes away.

I am really happy with my Hifi. I recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to break the bank yet who expects a high quality, sweet riding machine.

this is my first full-suspension bike. I used to ride a specialized hardrock.

[Feb 26, 2009]
SMD

Strength:

Handles amazing, Tracks great. Shocks work well when dialed in correctly. Great price for what you get. Decent components as well.

only problem I have had is the paint chipping easily.

Was a year old demo when I bought it. Has been a great bike for me. Have put lots of miles on it and have not had any problems. Have been pleased with this bike so far.

[Dec 10, 2008]
Lilkev

Strength:

I use to think it was a great bike. I like the ride, compnents were a good deal for the price...

My local bike shop is the only strength in this bike! The guys rock!

..... then I broke the rear drop out. He new one was redesigned. THe wheels are junk! I had a new set of wheels made and that's when my local shop found that I cracked the front triangle @ a weld and the rear triangle has a huge crack in right behind the right side crank.

Don't buy this bike! It's way too soft.