Fezzari Cascade Peak All Mountain Full Suspension

Fezzari's most popular full-suspension mountain bike designed for all-purpose riding.

The new Fezzari Racing Design F6A tapered frame gives a stiffer chassis while increasing strength and decreasing the weight. Combine it with SRAM X.9/X.0 2x10 drivetrain, and Avid Elixir 7 hydraulic disk brakes and you have a single track dream. With more machining and refining, we have made it lighter stronger. ISCG mounts allow for more drivetrain options.

FRAME TECH

• Tapered Headtube
  • FRD Tetralink 526
  • Sealed Oversized Bearings
  • Dual Bridge Post
  • Frame Defense Technology
  • Hydroformed Alloy Tubing
  • It has a bend in the top tube to give lower standover clearance because often when you need to put a foot down on the trail you're not on level ground and you need as much clearance as you can get.
  • The rear triangle has square tubing to give added strength and stiffness to the frame.
  • Reinforced gussets in the right places to give it superior lateral stiffness
  • Butting (thinning the tubing walls in the right places) to lower weight.
  • ISCG Mounts for expanded drivetrain option compatibility.

Check out more reviews on the new Cascade Peak 29er here.

voyager63   [Sep 10, 2013]
Strength:

Tapered head tube, Fox32 Float front suspension, Avid Elixer 9 Disk Breaks, SRAM shifters and deraileurs, 26x2.35 tires

I got this bike to replace my Cannondale Super V700 and I have not looked back. The Cascade Peak was a great choice. I was a bit nervous about buying at $3000 bike without riding it, but the reviews of this bike was enough to sway me into buying a Fezzari. I submitted all my measurements that they required to custom fit the bike, and within 2 weeks the bike was at my house. All my nervousness about buying bike unseen went away after taking it on my first ride, it rode like a dream! I've been riding this bike for the last 3 months and I am still sold on Fezzari. The only negative review I saw about the Cascade Peak was that the brakes start squealing after about 1 month of riding. This is due to the pads being new and glazing over. This will happen to any new pads. All you need to do is take the pads off, use some sand paper on them and then put them back on...squealing stops. If you are looking for a new mountain bike, I would give the Fezzari Cascade Peak a very good look!

simon   [Jul 21, 2012]
Strength:

I find the bike excellent for the down hill ride and OK for mediocre climbs

1) personally found it a little challenging to ride with steep climbs.
2) the frame holds up good, but from a cosmetic point of view, didn't like the design of the back mount for the shock. because there weld on the outer side and bare on inside. It holds up fine but a little rough to me.

I got the bike a few weeks ago and spent some time adjusting it to my riding style. It's fun taking it down hill with speed and challenging on sharp corners. I ended up ditching the factory FOX shocks for the TALAS because dropping the front end makes so much better for climbing steep trails and gives me more front control. Over a few rides I ended up greasing up the front hub rubber o-ring i.e. dust cover, because dust made an annoying sound at the right cadence. I probably wouldn't go for the clipless until settle in with bike first, but a must down the road. I thought the company made a good choice for me on the frame.

Flava Dave   All Mountain Rider [Jul 03, 2012]
Strength:

Direct purchase method saves you a lot of money. Great component choices. Lighter than one would expect. Custom setup provides a tailored fit. Bike arrives almost completely assembled. Fantastic customer support.

No local support. Tires not really suited to all mountain riding. Waiting for the bike to arrive and worrying about all the things that could go wrong while in transit.

The Cascade Peak is a lot of bike for a great price. I have the 2011 model and have been enjoying it for a year now. Fezzari's customer support is excellent (with their business model it has to be), and the purchase process was really easy. I was initially hesitant to buy a bike online, but the custom setup means you get a cockpit that is designed to fit you in a way that a bike from a local shop wouldn't be (or would usually cost extra). I also priced out what I could get locally for the same amount, and the overall component setup wasn't even comparable with what the Fezzari offered. The downside is that you don't have local support like you would if you bought a brand that your LBS shills for. If you're into doing most of your own maintenance anyway, this isn't so bad.

Fezzari made some careful and excellent component choices on the Cascade Peak. The Fox suspension stands out as does the 2x10 X.9 drivetrain. The rest of the components provide a well-performing and stable setup to get a lot out of the bike, while also giving you some room to grow later on with future upgrades. This bike could easily be outfitted to be a much lighter and faster beast, or beefed up to be even more rugged. A few of the component choices were disappointing, especially given the care that went into choosing most of the parts. The flat pedals that came are junk, and the single bolt Fezzari branded seatpost is a weak spot. You just can't set a saddle up properly on a single bolt seatpost. The Maxxis Larsen TT tires are rubbish for the riding I do on the trails I have available. They're good on dry hard trails but rubbish in anything messy or on loose technical climbs or loose corners.

The geometry works well in a variety of riding conditions and the slack headtube inspires confidence on technical descents. While Fezzari's custom setup tailors some components to your measurements, it errs on the side of caution, so be prepared to do some fine tuning and tweaking of stem height, bar length, etc., to dial in your perfect setup. The learning curve on setting up the suspension has been a bit of struggle as this is my first full suspension. The Cascade Peak handles well uphill and down. It weighs less than you'd think and is a solid climber despite the tires.

If you're budget conscious but not necessarily brand conscious and want a bike that performs solidly but costs considerably less than a similarly spec'd big brand bike, the Cascade Peak is for you.

Low_   Weekend Warrior [Jun 11, 2011]
Strength:

suspension

wheels

Great bike. I demo'd the trek 8 and ended up buying the Fezzari due to the specs on both. the Fezzari had better specs, and was nearly $700 less when all was said and done. The custom set up they did was nearly spot on only needed minor adjustments. The suspension set up is great, and everything else is well put together. My only complaint is the wheels are a fairly entry level set of wheels.

Similar Products Used: trek fuel 8
DavidF   Weekend Warrior [Jun 02, 2011]
Strength:

Versatility, stability, spec, value

Rear hub, brakes

Purchased this 2009 model on closeout in January of 2010. I spent months comparing bikes from various companies and decided to give Fezzari a chance. The geometry seemed spot on for what I wanted and the spec was impressive. Being a relatively young company I was a bit skeptical but I figured they deserved a shot. I have not been disappointed.

Most of my riding consists of short XC trails and the Cascade Peak performs well. The short stem and wide bars do seem to lighten the front end a bit on climbs but it's not a huge problem. The suspension design does produce a bit of bob while climbing out of the saddle but I haven't found many hills that require me to stand and the propedal on the RP2 works when I do need to get up. The bike handles extremely well at slow speeds and is confidence-inspiring at higher speeds.

I haven't had the opportunity to use this bike on many technical trails but on the few occasions I've come across roots, rocks, small drops and jumps the bike has been great. The suspension, both front and rear, has soaked up all the bumps and let me focus on my line. And it's proven to be a lot tougher than I am in those sections I couldn't quite make it through.

The only problems I've had with this bike are the Shimano M475 rear hub and the Avid Juicy 5 brakes, neither of which seem to be found on newer models. The hub loosens up at inopportune moments and has caused a few crashes. The brakes, while functional, don't allow much modulation. They're either on or off and the amount of throw in the lever is unpredictable (some days they go all the way to the bar, other days just touch them and and they grab).

Overall I'm happy with my Cascade Peak. It's allowed me to become a better rider and I believe it will still be there for me as I improve further. I would recommend this bike to anyone.

Sorry for being so long-winded but I've held off for a year so I could give it a fair review.

Similar Products Used: Felt Virtue 2, Marin Quad XC
Bran28478   Weekend Warrior [May 26, 2011]
Strength:

Climbs great, corners great, great components, great fit

I bought this bike at the beginning of the year and have loved it. The 2011 version was a little more than the 2010 but it has a lot nicer components. The fit is great, too. I worried about buying it sight unseen but the bike is way beyond what I expected. Hands down, it's the best bike I've ever ridden. My next bike will be a Fezzari, too.

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Giant, Trek
hozhead   Weekend Warrior [Jul 06, 2010]
Strength:

Great component spec sheet. Suspension is smooth, plush and very stable; haven't even bothered locking out the shock or fork because the bike is so well composed even with full travel. Brakes are powerful but don't seem to bite too hard and lock up the wheel right away.

Derailleur hanger and possibly the warranty - we'll see later this week on that one.

Enjoyed the first three rides on the bike and am getting used to the different riding position vs my old hard tail.
Unfortunately, the derailleur hanger snapped (right at one of the bolt holes) while I was riding on the street checking lever position adjustments; the derailleur is pretty mangled. Called Fezzari about it I'm definitely NOT getting the warm fuzzy feeling that they're going to take care of things for me. It sounds like I'll be buying a new hanger and derailleur for a 6 day old bike I've ridden three times. Right now, I'm back to the 8 year old low end GT hard tail that's been through hell and keeps going.
I'd LOVE to update my review with a better rating after seeing how the warranty process goes this week.

Similar Products Used: Hard tails only - this is my first full suspension bike.
JMB Bike Destroyer   Weekend Warrior [May 31, 2010]
Strength:

Shifters, shocks, tires,brakes

wheels, lateral stability in front

This bike is super comfy to ride and a great value. The fork and rear shock have adjustment enough to please everyone and deliver superior performance. Shifting and braking are also super. The stock tires(Maxxis LarsenTT) work great on packed singletrack trails but suffer when things get wet and muddy. Handle bars come too wide for eastern forest riding but are easily trimmed. Entry level wheel on rear fell apart on ride #3. Rooty eastern riding punished the entry level rim. An upgrade is definetly needed here. Something wacky going on at the front of the bike, too much lateral flex. Very noticable when turning in choppy conditions at higher speed. Still trying to zero in on the problem, Weak Frame? Head set and neck? Overall this bike is a great value. It is a guilty pleasure to ride on rooty,rocky,rough rides and see entry level, full susp. and hard tail guys getting beat up and bounced around. With minor upgrades this bike is unstoppable.

Similar Products Used: Fezzari Abajo Peak Pro,Specialized
scoosba   Cross Country Rider [May 10, 2010]
Strength:

Versatility. This is a jack of all trades kind of bike. It climbs great and feels super comfortable on the downhill. I'm not afraid to take it on DH courses or XC courses.

The bike sits a little back for step climbs. I moved up a spacer and that has helped a bunch. If you are going to be doing a ton of steep climbing you may want a different bar with a little less rise. The stock pedals are crap. Plan on buying some clipless pedals when you are budgeting. I would probably prefer a little shorter stem.

I test rode about a dozen different bikes including the Fezzari before deciding. Some of the bikes seemed a little better at climbing and some seemed a little more suited for DH, but none captured the balance I was looking for at the price like the Fezzari. I liked the Giant Reign but it was literally $800 more than the Fezzari when speced out similarly and I felt like the Fezzari was just as good going up and down. If I could afford a stable of different bikes I probably would have a bunch of bikes for specific trails and rides, but since I can't I wanted a bike that was good at everything and this bike fit the bill.
The product service has been outstanding. I live in Utah and so I can take my bike directly in, and every time I have the staff has been extremely helpful.

I rode a Giant AC for several years which was a 5" front 6" rear all mountain bike. Sadly it was stolen. I really liked that bike and didn't think the Fezzari would be much better, however I underestimated the tech advances in the last 6 years. The brakes are now strong enough I never use two fingers to brake. Having an extra finger on the grips really helps with fatigue and handling. The front and rear are laterally much stiffer which makes it more stable and it seems to track better. The propedal does help when really hammering uphill although I still notice a bit of bob when out of the saddle. My giant was all XTR and weighed probably 2 pounds less, but I think the Fezzari may be faster on the uphill with the propedal on.

I have put about 300 miles on the Fezzari since I got it about a month ago. Here's the break down.

Rides 1-5 Getting to know my bike. I adjusted the suspension quite a bit until I found my sweet spot. I taped the front cables as they were making a lot chatter. The RP2 starts to leak a little from the top.

Rides 6-8 Moab. It thrived on Porcupine Rim and a few other Moab area trails. I did break my big chain ring, thus the recommendation for bash guard. I took the bike into the Fezzari shop and they were extremely helpful in maintenance recommendations and when I picked it up it was almost like new.

Rides 8-15. This bike is really starting to come into it's own. Very well balanced and extremely fun. This bike really breeds confidence.

The bottom line: If you have a fixed budget of around $2000 you will have a hard time finding a bike with this level of parts that's a better all around bike.

Similar Products Used: Giant AC, Specialized Pitch/Enduro, Giant Trance/Reign.
leromichael0   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2010]
Strength:

Great bike, love it. Good climber (thanks to pro pedal), stable on downhills but still nimble, cheap for what you get. Limited pedal bob w/ high psi and proper settings on the shock

A bit heavy (32 lbs for large?) have some frame paint chips (my fault)

buy it if you want a cheap, versatile bike that can take a beating